Kipers latest top ten college players

faba

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're uncanny.

Please, enlighten me as to why these Large, mobile QBs with spotty completion percentage were never compared to Big Ben? Jameis is compared to Big Ben because his game is remarkably similar, not just because he's big and can kind of run. They're both always looking downfield and able to do so consistently because of their size and vision.

Christ, I don't even like him, I root for FSU to lose. I'm just tired of people parroting uniformed info on him because they don't like him for whatever reason.

Somehow the Jets are going to win one of these next four games so neither of the QBs nor Cooper will be there.  You guys really have to start thinking seriously about who's left to draft.  Maybe we should trade our #1 for  Harbaugh  

I gotta ask, why choose a WR 1+2?

Because, as I see it:

1. The Jets have above-average overall talent on the Defense.

2. The Jets offense is clearly their weakest unit.

3. Kerley isn't good enough to start, Harvin is a trick-player and far too expensive long-term, and Decker a #2 (as I see it). 

4. Whomever plays QB will need legitimate passing weapons.

5. If a near-sure-thing QB prospect is not available (and I do not believe one will be), you need as much talent around whomever plays QB as possible.  Affordable talent.

6. I believe you can find and develop a mid-round QB if you take time and actually develop him.  few do nowadays because everyone wants instant-success and no one wants to risk their job on a mid-rounder three seasons from now.

Because, as I see it:

3. Kerley isn't good enough to start, Harvin is a trick-player and far too expensive long-term, and Decker a #2 (as I see it). 

5. If a near-sure-thing QB prospect is not available (and I do not believe one will be), you need as much talent around whomever plays QB as possible.  Affordable talent.

6. I believe you can find and develop a mid-round QB if you take time and actually develop him.  few do nowadays because everyone wants instant-success and no one wants to risk their job on a mid-rounder three seasons from now.

Sorry - waaaay to many other holes to fill other than WRs - CB, OL, LB to name a few...

Because, as I see it:

I agree with most of this except 3&4. I think any competent quarterback should be able to have a field day with just one of the WRs you picked, mixed with ours, regardless if Harvin is here or not. I think Kerley is actually a decent slot guy, with someone who can actually throw it to him, we should be fine. I think a WR and OL would be more beneficial for the QB than two WRs in the first two rounds.

Because, as I see it:

5. If a near-sure-thing QB prospect is not available (and I do not believe one will be), you need as much talent around whomever plays QB as possible. Affordable talent.

6. I believe you can find and develop a mid-round QB if you take time and actually develop him. few do nowadays because everyone wants instant-success and no one wants to risk their job on a mid-rounder three seasons from now.

The Jets DL isn't so strong that it tilts the overall talent on that side of the ball to above average. The LBs are okay, the secondary is putrid. The offense probably actually has fewer total holes, although they have by far the biggest one at QB.

I agree with your assessment of the WRs. Be interesting to see what happens with Harvin if Idzik is terrible-toweled out of a job. Smelled like a complete Hail Mary! when Idzik pulled the trigger, but it would be nice if the move wasn't a complete waste of $7M and a sixth round pick. He's not worth his current contract, and I see no reason right now why he'd accept a paycut to stick with the Jets. This isn't exactly the team you play for as a WR in hopes of getting a big paycheck anywhere.

Finding/developing mid-round QBs is a low percentage proposition. Not to say that they shouldn't try (and I was extremely disappointed that one of their three fourth rounders weren't spent on a QB last May), but it's not something you can bank on.

When was the last time a "mid-round QB prospect" made it in the NFL?  I know Wilson in the 3rd but its my opinion rounds 1-3 are the only legitimate rounds to find talent as the percentage of prospects drafted in the 4th and on that actually make it are extremely low. 

So who/when was the last quality QB that was developed past the 3rd round or in the 3rd round for that matter, other than Russell Wilson?

When was the last time a "mid-round QB prospect" made it in the NFL?  I know Wilson in the 3rd but its my opinion rounds 1-3 are the only legitimate rounds to find talent as the percentage of prospects drafted in the 4th and on that actually make it are extremely low. 

So who/when was the last quality QB that was developed past the 3rd round or in the 3rd round for that matter, other than Russell Wilson?

thinking.......

Does not compute...... have to go back to Cindy

When was the last time a "mid-round QB prospect" made it in the NFL? I know Wilson in the 3rd but its my opinion rounds 1-3 are the only legitimate rounds to find talent as the percentage of prospects drafted in the 4th and on that actually make it are extremely low.

Matt Hasselbeck.

Kyle Orton too. He isn't a superstar, but he's decent.

Cooper may not be there when the Jets pick. In fact Oakland's WR need is as dire as our QB/CB need

as for the "3-5 years of losing" that's not how it goes anymore. the rookie contracts are not that huge. They can take a swing. They certainly have the cap space. 

bottom line i can't get behind any plan that paves the way for a 2016 QB. I can't watch this s--t anymore without at least some sort of hope for the players that are on the team. Not the players they might draft in 2 years. 

Im going to go the other way on Cooper. He's been hyped forever.  But people are projecting him top 5 and i just don't see it. He's not AJ Green, He's not Julio. People want to say Watkins but I just don't see the explosive that Watkins has.  I see a guy that doesn't always make people miss, hes average size, and half his catches seem uncontested. I think Cooper is going to go somewhere around 10 with a similar slip to Michael Crabtree(Who I would love to sign). I personally hope we don't get him - Im hoping for Mariotta of course. 

The guys that interest me a-lot now are Green Beckham and Funchess. We have Percy Harvin. We have Decker. Guys that have had tremendous success elsewhere and our offense still sucks. Would Cooper be a  huge upgrade on them? I don't see it. When I watched Green Beckham I saw a ton of contested catches and consistent winning in the end zone on jump balls. We do not, and have not had a guy that could win that jump ball and its a reason for a red zone issues. 

If I had a choice Im taking Green Beckham in the second over Cooper in the first all day. We traded for Harvin so you know we are okay with guys that don't have perfect character. 

Im going to go the other way on Cooper. He's been hyped forever.  But people are projecting him top 5 and i just don't see it. He's not AJ Green, He's not Julio. People want to say Watkins but I just don't see the explosive that Watkins has.  I see a guy that doesn't always make people miss, hes average size, and half his catches seem uncontested. I think Cooper is going to go somewhere around 10 with a similar slip to Michael Crabtree(Who I would love to sign). I personally hope we don't get him - Im hoping for Mariotta of course. 

The guys that interest me a-lot now are Green Beckham and Funchess. We have Percy Harvin. We have Decker. Guys that have had tremendous success elsewhere and our offense still sucks. Would Cooper be a  huge upgrade on them? I don't see it. When I watched Green Beckham I saw a ton of contested catches and consistent winning in the end zone on jump balls. We do not, and have not had a guy that could win that jump ball and its a reason for a red zone issues. 

If I had a choice Im taking Green Beckham in the second over Cooper in the first all day. We traded for Harvin so you know we are okay with guys that don't have perfect character. 

POTW

Cooper is overrated, Get Duke Williams or Beckham

If the QB is not even close to a sure-thing (and neither of these guys is IMO), the best route may be A Veteran Journeyman QB + a Mid-Round Draft QB Prospect + Take the Stud WR in Cooper. For example: QB #1: Colt McCoyQB #2: Sean Mannion (5th Round, Oregon St., 6'5", 220 Pounds) RB #1:  Chris IvoryRB #2:  Bilal PowellFB #1:  Bonhannon WR #1:  Eric DeckerWR #2:  Amari Cooper (1st Round, Alabama, 6'1", 210 Pounds)WR #3: Dorial Green-Beckham (2nd Round, Oklahoma, 6'5", 225 Pounds)WR #4:  Jeremy Kerley TE #1:  Jase AmaroTE #2: Nick Boyle (6th Round, Deleware, 6'5", 270 Pounds)OT: D'Brickashaw FergusonOG: Oday AboushiC: Nick MangoldOG: Jarvis Harrison (4th Round, Texas A&M, 6'3", 325 Pounds)OT: Breno GiacominiStill leaves a 3rd Round and a 7th to toss at the defense.

Great post and analysis. Not a huge McCoy fan but I like the line of thinking and appreciate the well thought out analysis

POTW

Cooper is overrated, Get Duke Williams or Beckham

I'm agnostic of who the specific players selected are, I don't watch college, and I'm not Bitonti, I don't scout the minor league.

When I suggest players, I often simply go with the consensus guy for that spot in the draft.  Cooper is considered the top WR prospect, hence him.  The other WR I listed is considered a solid 2nd rounder, maybe a 1st, and is a very different size/type of WR to Cooper, a complement.

But if there are better WR's, fine.  As long as those "better" WR's aren't "worjout wonder" guys who rise on workouts over guys who performed in real games in college.  Workout wonders, the D-Robs, Gholstons, etc, never work out in NY.

My point, overall, is if the top QB's aren;t available, or if the QB that is is really a huge risk......skip him.  Go top-elite talent at a skill position, and bulk up the talent on O for the future QB.

Alot will, after today, probably say "but look, Harvin, Decker, Kerley is good enough, see".  They're wrong.

As for the question "who does a mid-round QB" the answer is "no one".  Doesn;t mean it can't work, just means everyone does what the Jets do nowadays, draft as high a QB as they can, start him immediately or almost immediately.

No one develops QB's as the #2 anymore.  I suggest it can and should be done, and wouldn;t be a bad idea for us frankly, given the likely alternative (draft the risky #1 overall who, if he fails, sets us back three-to-four years).

I want the big flashy Manning-a-like too.  I want the hype, the hope.  But look, when has that worked for us?  Never in my lifetime.

So skip the risky guy, pick the sure thing skill guys, bolster the O around whomever Journeyman Vet we aquire, draft a mid round old school pocket passing bazooka arm (and there are a few of those who will be available in the 3rd, 4th, 5th) and sit him, develop him, slowly, for two-three years.  In the meantime, play the Vet n 2015, draft a high QB (if needed/possible) in 2015.  Or 2016.  And if you don;t get one, by 2016, your kid should be ready to play iof you picked well and developed him right.

Or, draft the guy with issues, and watch him Ryan Leaf? 

Or maybe succeed.  But probably not.

Archived