SNY Reported Jets to hire Ron Wolf as Consultant along side Cassalry

UnknownJetFan

I'd like to see Woody hire either Casserly or Wolf as the Grand Overseer. I'm not sure who got to Woody that made him see the light (reading my many posts, obv *Aping it*), but having Casserly and Wolf in the room during the interview process is worth its weight in gold.

Does that mean he would have to wear a sheet??

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree to some extent. The numbers are the numbers, but you also need some creativity, salesmanship and foresight into how the puzzle all fits together.

You do need to be able to juggle several balls(No comments please) while additional balls keep getting added and subtracted every year. I don't think it's as black and white as we make it seem.

I'm sure there are other responsibilities that fall under that title as well. Paperwork with the league, dead money, pro-rated crap...

I'm sure Idzik will enjoy the back room accounting work his new title will bring!

Jason's a great guy. Not to take anything away from him, because he really knows his stuff, but it kind of makes my point that one doesn't need to be a former or future GM to "master" the salary cap. It's pretty simple math.

I think that part of it is supply and demand too. The other difficulty with the position is that it's not just who you actually signed - but the potential signings that make it more complex. Once free agency hits you probably need a million different cap models will all sorts of variables. Projecting out the potential signings. Cap guys do come from all different backgrounds but it requires unique training by the league. So universities are not pumping out trained capologists every year and most of them are blended with other positions as well which effects supply and demand. You probably don't want your capologists to quit the day before free agency starts because he/she takes a better paying job elsewhere. You would be pretty screwed.

Yes, but that's true of any job filled where there's been an investment of time by the employer, for anyone who's managing the cap whether a so-called expert capologist or just whoever's shoulders it landed on. No organization would be in a good situation if they delegated responsibilities to one person and then that person quit the day before their services are needed most. It's not unique to capologists. What if the GM quit the day before free agency? What if the OC quit the day before the season (ok, insert Jets OC joke here).

I'm just saying I don't think it's quite as involved, let alone a science, that it's being made out to be.

Any organization contemplates the what-ifs of results (or non-results) upon other results and non-results, when this is the norm every year. I don't automatically assume that because these teams are high profile that they necessarily employ the right people or that they recognize what's unique talent from what could be learned by many.

In other words, I think there's a finite amount of knowledge with which to guess circumstance upon circumstance, and don't believe it takes any particular genius to "master" it if that's one's job.

Rumors of Idzik's demotion are just that- rumors and mere speculation. Some media hack, looking for a story, put that beauty out there just because Idzik is a cap guy and on some bizarro level that makes sense... or at least enough sense to make a story. I agree with a COMPLETE housecleaning. This should include the scouting staff (that means goodbye Bradway) which has been below average at best.

FWIW, there are some rumors that Woody may be hiring more than the 2 expert consultants currently being talked about. That said, with the duo of Charley Casserly and Ron Wolf advising him, Woody will be in good hands. I like the idea of hiring expert consultants and at least it doesn't look like he will be making the same mistakes (Korn-Ferry and partial housecleaning). I know many have criticized Woody and his handling of the Jets but I think his heart is in the right place and his actions indicate that he has been learning from his mistakes. I am cautiously optimistic that this  time he will get it right.

Korn-Ferry may not have been a mistake, but rather the circumstances under which they had to perform. They've had plenty of success in the past with other teams.

But yes, it's good to hear. Up until the point where we hear what Johnson's lines in the sand are this time around. Hopefully there are none, as it only serves to limit options.

Agree to some extent. The numbers are the numbers, but you also need some creativity, salesmanship and foresight into how the puzzle all fits together.

You do need to be able to juggle several balls(No comments please) while additional balls keep getting added and subtracted every year. I don't think it's as black and white as we make it seem.

I'm sure there are other responsibilities that fall under that title as well. Paperwork with the league, dead money, pro-rated crap...

I'm sure Idzik will enjoy the back room accounting work his new title will bring!

I don't know that there are such responsibilities. The article that was linked to showed that the positions are filled by people from all different backgrounds. They aren't remotely limited to those in the accounting or legal fields. 

I think to a large extent it's being made out to be the great mystery box. Dead money, pro-rated crap things are not complicated at all. Many thousands of casual fans understand these things quite well.

Yes, but that's true of any job filled where there's been an investment of time by the employer, for anyone who's managing the cap whether a so-called expert capologist or just whoever's shoulders it landed on. No organization would be in a good situation if they delegated responsibilities to one person and then that person quit the day before their services are needed most. It's not unique to capologists. What if the GM quit the day before free agency? What if the OC quit the day before the season (ok, insert Jets OC joke here).

I'm just saying I don't think it's quite as involved, let alone a science, that it's being made out to be.

Any organization contemplates the what-ifs of results (or non-results) upon other results and non-results, when this is the norm every year. I don't automatically assume that because these teams are high profile that they necessarily employ the right people or that they recognize what's unique talent from what could be learned by many.

In other words, I think there's a finite amount of knowledge with which to guess circumstance upon circumstance, and don't believe it takes any particular genius to "master" it if that's one's job.

Fair point - but you have to understand how hard it is to find someone that is competent in excel alone. lol. It's not as easy as you would think it is. Plus I really think you are underestimating the future variables and the quickness of the decision making process involved in this job.

Brian Custer@BCusterTV 8m8 minutes ago

Apparently, Woody likes Rex but says he was in every personnel meeting & always agreed! Never spoke up if he didn't agree. His downfall!

Brian Custer@BCusterTV 2m2 minutes ago

Woody really upset with Idzik's draft choices, and not giving Rex what he needed 2 be successful. Only pick he loves is @Godforshort. #Jets

Nevermind

god yes I hope is all true we need people that know football and talent love to see this happen I live in VA and pay out my a$$ to watch this team and was about to stop the last two years have been hard to watch and pay so much, if this happen Im in. I know they will draft much,much better

Fair point - but you have to understand how hard it is to find someone that is competent in excel alone. lol. It's not as easy as you would think it is. Plus I really think you are underestimating the future variables and the quickness of the decision making process involved in this job.

Possibly. But I think something could be set up fairly quickly - even hiring another person to bang something out in Excel so numbers could just be plugged in and it spits different things out (in no way is this necessarily programmed by the capologist; he just says what he wants it to do). The speed limitation is then how fast someone types into the different fields.

Of course I'm simplifying, but it's not THAT much more complicated than that, since there are only so many variables: guaranteed money, not-guaranteed money, bonus money, salary, LTBE and ULTBE incentives, and then plan on when you want there to be a re-assessment (e.g. after year 2 decide do you pay the next roster bonus or do you cut bait). There aren't hundreds - or even dozens - of variables. And teams rarely negotiate multiple cap-crippling deals at the same time that could push them over.

The only time that split-second decisions need to be made are in the cases where a player's demands are suddenly + unexpectedly far, far above the previously-planned "worst case" estimates, if a player of interest is suddenly + unexpectedly cut from another team, or if a trade offer is suddenly + unexpectedly proffered from another club. Again, not endless scenarios.

While I'm surely simplifying some things, I just don't think that it's a very hard job (unless one is comparing it to a job where a paper hat is required). 

Possibly. But I think something could be set up fairly quickly - even hiring another person to bang something out in Excel so numbers could just be plugged in and it spits different things out (in no way is this necessarily programmed by the capologist; he just says what he wants it to do). The speed limitation is then how fast someone types into the different fields.

Of course I'm simplifying, but it's not THAT much more complicated than that, since there are only so many variables: guaranteed money, not-guaranteed money, bonus money, salary, LTBE and ULTBE incentives, and then plan on when you want there to be a re-assessment (e.g. after year 2 decide do you pay the next roster bonus or do you cut bait). There aren't hundreds - or even dozens - of variables. And teams rarely negotiate multiple cap-crippling deals at the same time that could push them over.

The only time that split-second decisions need to be made are in the cases where a player's demands are suddenly + unexpectedly far, far above the previously-planned "worst case" estimates, if a player of interest is suddenly + unexpectedly cut from another team, or if a trade offer is suddenly + unexpectedly proffered from another club. Again, not endless scenarios.

While I'm surely simplifying some things, I just don't think that it's a very hard job (unless one is comparing it to a job where a paper hat is required).

I understand that an excel sheet can be set up that could handle the whole thing. The problem is the variables and projecting out 5, even 6 years. Even then formulas can be set up. Still requires oversize, constant monitoring of scenarios. Also monitoring of other 31 teams I am sure is done by this position to advise market value, past salaries, contracts that need to be picked up for players that were waived. It's a lot dude. And like I said, it's not as easy to find someone who can perform this duty, notice when the sheets are not calculating correctly on the fly. It's not the most difficult job ever, but you certainly don't want just anyone doing it. Finally why are we even debating this? We should be celebrating Woody actually spending money on the front office. Lol

I understand that an excel sheet can be set up that could handle the whole thing. The problem is the variables and projecting out 5, even 6 years. Even then formulas can be set up. Still requires oversize, constant monitoring of scenarios. Also monitoring of other 31 teams I am sure is done by this position to advise market value, past salaries, contracts that need to be picked up for players that were waived. It's a lot dude. And like I said, it's not as easy to find someone who can perform this duty, notice when the sheets are not calculating correctly on the fly. It's not the most difficult job ever, but you certainly don't want just anyone doing it. Finally why are we even debating this? We should be celebrating Woody actually spending money on the front office. Lol

Agreed. Good talk, though.

But you started it. ;)

The salary cap should be considered illegal, should be eliminated, and any proponents should be shot for treason/being un-American. Meeeeeeeeeeeerrry Christmas.

Why ???  We sucked before that. I saw a piece on Dallas and their dominant teams were 93 to 95 with NO cap.

Talked about how with NO CAP...Jerry bought the house.

We sucked from 92 to 96. 

Korn-Ferry may not have been a mistake, but rather the circumstances under which they had to perform. They've had plenty of success in the past with other teams.

But yes, it's good to hear. Up until the point where we hear what Johnson's lines in the sand are this time around. Hopefully there are none, as it only serves to limit options.

Agreed...KF are a reputable firm and at least Woody showed sign of NOT meddling. Idzik simply sucks.  I know fans who could do better talent evaluation. Really.

Archived