Posting something other than HC/GM. Are the Patriots One and Done?

Jimmy IRisH

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Patriots always draft at the very bottom of the 1st round. Jets usually draft towards the top.

Not really an excuse.  The Pats always load up on draft picks and could easily trade up if they want to.  Belichick prefers to trade down.  Which is a fine strategy IF you hit on a decent percentage of your many, many choices each year.  But the dude has about a 90 % fail rate with his picks, a lot of the time ending up cutting guys 1-2 years after drafting them.  Essentially he does EVERY year what Idzik did the last two:  End up with 1, maybe 2 decent to solid players out of every draft despite having somewhere in the range of 8-12 picks.

Brady has covered up for a lot of Belichick's mistakes over the years.  The fact that they've played in a weak division for years has helped too.  But once the playoffs hit their weaknesses have been exposed for the past decade every single time.  They've become the Atlanta Braves.  Just not enough talent to beat the teams who have strong QB's AND more loaded rosters.

Primary difference this year that makes the Pats a contender is opening up their wallet to get Revis, giving them an elite player on each side of the ball.  Does NOT make them a shoe-in by any means, however.  The Ravens, Broncos and Colts are all fairly well equipped to knock the Pats off, and whoever wins the NFC is looking even more difficult matchup-wise.

Not really an excuse.  The Pats always load up on draft picks and could easily trade up if they want to.  Belichick prefers to trade down.  Which is a fine strategy IF you hit on a decent percentage of your many, many choices each year.  But the dude has about a 90 % fail rate with his picks, a lot of the time ending up cutting guys 1-2 years after drafting them.  Essentially he does EVERY year what Idzik did the last two:  End up with 1, maybe 2 decent to solid players out of every draft despite having somewhere in the range of 8-12 picks.

Brady has covered up for a lot of Belichick's mistakes over the years.  The fact that they've played in a weak division for years has helped too.  But once the playoffs hit their weaknesses have been exposed for the past decade every single time.  They've become the Atlanta Braves.  Just not enough talent to beat the teams who have strong QB's AND more loaded rosters.

Primary difference this year that makes the Pats a contender is opening up their wallet to get Revis, giving them an elite player on each side of the ball.  Does NOT make them a shoe-in by any means, however.  The Ravens, Broncos and Colts are all fairly well equipped to knock the Pats off, and whoever wins the NFC is looking even more difficult matchup-wise.

Fair point but I wonder how that stacks up to the league. meaning, all teams, what percentage of players are real contributors.

I heard Steve Smith WR in an interview say almost half the league is undrafted. I checked it and while not true... A LOT of players are undrafted.

You know, I don't actually completely disagree with this, because it isn't completely wrong, but if Gronkowski doesn't get injured by a cheap shot from Pollard in 2011, I wonder if we're even having this conversation. Do you really believe the Patriots, with a healthy Gronkowski, in elite 2011 form, lose to the Giants? He was in that game as a very unbelievable and ineffective decoy.

The Patriots have had a few years of bad luck, IMO, whch had made thnigs sometimes seem a lot worse than they might have been.

Fair point but I wonder how that stacks up to the league. meaning, all teams, what percentage of players are real contributors.

I heard Steve Smith WR in an interview say almost half the league is undrafted. I checked it and while not true... A LOT of players are undrafted.

Well remember that while most teams draft 7 players, teams also sign as many as 20+ UDFA's because there's no real limit on how many you can pick up.  Just look at this massive list of 2014 UDFA signees:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/10/5703808/undrafted-free-agent-signings-tracker-2014-nfl-draft

So the odds are that yes, of those many, many UDFA's that get scooped up there will be a sizable number of players who make a career out of it.

You know, I don't actually completely disagree with this, because it isn't completely wrong, but if Gronkowski doesn't get injured by a cheap shot from Pollard in 2011, I wonder if we're even having this conversation. Do you really believe the Patriots, with a healthy Gronkowski, in elite 2011 form, lose to the Giants? He was in that game as a very unbelievable and ineffective decoy.

The Patriots have had a few years of bad luck, IMO, whch had made thnigs sometimes seem a lot worse than they might have been.

Gronk is sort of your lone "exception" in recent years.  A guy you drafted in recent years that became a true stud.  It's nice to be able to hang your hat on that, but if they could draft with competence consistently they wouldn't have to lean on him so much.  But instead Belichick likes to lean on cheap free agent WR's and only recently decided he needed to go after a pricey veteran on the defensive side of the ball in Revis. 

The only spot on the field where Belichick has proven competent at drafting is the offensive line.  And even that is a little overstated.  After all, great QB's who can make excellent pre-snap reads MAKE their offensive lines better.  The line was weakened with the loss of Logan Mankins but it hasn't seemed to matter for Brady of late.  Comparatively, very rarely has anyone ever said that Peyton Manning's o-line "failed him", regardless of which bodies are protecting him.  Great QB's make their entire offense tick.  But that doesn't mean you don't try to surround your QB with as much talent as possible.

Also this statement is hilarious.  Ever since the Tuck Rule people have said the Patriots "get lucky" whereas Pats fans rightly defend their team by saying they "Make their own luck".  Now their bad postseason run of late is due to BAD luck?  Come on now.  You can't have it both ways. 

Wasn't Gronk injury prone in college?  Why haven't you supplemented the TE position since Gronk's string of injuries?  You drafted a headcase in Aaron Hernandez the same year as Gronk and it blew up in your faces; had he worked out you'd be OK despite the Gronk injuries.  But that's not bad luck.  That's called not doing your research, and failing to bolster your roster in other ways in the meantime.

Also this statement is hilarious.  Ever since the Tuck Rule people have said the Patriots "get lucky" whereas Pats fans rightly defend their team by saying they "Make their own luck".  Now their bad postseason run of late is due to BAD luck?  Come on now.  You can't have it both ways. 

Wasn't Gronk injury prone in college?  Why haven't you supplemented the TE position since Gronk's string of injuries?  You drafted a headcase in Aaron Hernandez the same year as Gronk and it blew up in your faces; had he worked out you'd be OK despite the Gronk injuries.  But that's not bad luck.  That's called not doing your research, and failing to bolster your roster in other ways in the meantime.

Of course we can have it both ways. Having luck on our side during the rise of our Dynasty doesn't mean it can't later swing in the other direction.

Yeah, Gronk had some injuries in college and missed the entire 2009 season before the draft, but I don't think getting put in a submission hold by Pollard is due to being `injury prone.`

I don't think TJ Ward turning himself into a heat seeking missle at Gronk's knee had anything to do with him being injury prone either.

I think saying we've had bad luck is a fair statement. Last season was an injury nightmare from top to bottom. Our entire defense was on IR by the end.

As for Hernandez, I concede your point but it was a gambit and we lost, bad.

I'm sure Belichick weighed the gamble and thought there was a chance he could be a punk and an off the field problem, but that the idea that he was an A&E serial killer special waiting to happen wasn't even on the radar,

Gronk is sort of your lone "exception" in recent years.  A guy you drafted in recent years that became a true stud.  It's nice to be able to hang your hat on that, but if they could draft with competence consistently they wouldn't have to lean on him so much.  But instead Belichick likes to lean on cheap free agent WR's and only recently decided he needed to go after a pricey veteran on the defensive side of the ball in Revis. 

The only spot on the field where Belichick has proven competent at drafting is the offensive line.  And even that is a little overstated.  After all, great QB's who can make excellent pre-snap reads MAKE their offensive lines better.  The line was weakened with the loss of Logan Mankins but it hasn't seemed to matter for Brady of late.  Comparatively, very rarely has anyone ever said that Peyton Manning's o-line "failed him", regardless of which bodies are protecting him.  Great QB's make their entire offense tick.  But that doesn't mean you don't try to surround your QB with as much talent as possible.

Yeah, but honestly I think you can look at everybodys drafts and see this to some degree. Every team is taking players that don't turn out to be 1/10th of the player that was drafted right after.

We drafted some pretty good players too recently. But the context was that the patriots are far superior to us in drafting, and I don't see it, not since Belicrap became GM. Swap Brady and Geno and records are nearly reversed.

Drafted some pretty good players recently????????

If that was true, the Jets wouldn't have gone 4 straight years without a winning season.

If that was true, the Jets wouldn't have gone 4 straight years without a winning season.

Our QB sucks you meat head.  Pats have drafted 1 pro bowl type player in recent memory, who is injury prone and will likely be out of the league and in a wheel chair in 3-4 years.. Sheldon and Mo alone are better then anything you've done

eat poo

Our QB sucks you meat head.  Pats have drafted 1 pro bowl type player in recent memory, who is injury prone and will likely be out of the league and in a wheel chair in 3-4 years.. Sheldon and Mo alone are better then anything you've done

Sheldon and Mo, the solid foundation of a 4-12 football team.

It's amazing with all the terrible drafts the Pats have had, that they have averaged 13 wins a season.

Good luck not blowing your 4th top 10 pick in the last 8 years.

Yes - absolutely. Richardson, Coples and Wilkerson come to mind.

The Jets have not had 2 straight losing seasons since 1995 and 1996!  They must draft better than average over the past 20 years!

Sheldon and Mo, the solid foundation of a 4-12 football team.

It's amazing with all the terrible drafts the Pats have had, that they have averaged 13 wins a season.

Good luck not blowing your 4th top 10 pick in the last 8 years.

BRADY!!!!!

Did you live under power lines as a child?

I love a good Pats suck thread. It's even better when people say Belichick sucks without Brady.

People bring up the wildcard game in 2009 (Only wildcard game the Pats have played with Brady) and the 2012 AFC Championship Game losses against the Ravens.

Last season the Pats went to Baltimore and won 41-7 without Gronkowski, Wilfork & Mayo. Plus the Pats now have Revis and Browner.

This statement may come back to haunt me but I really think the Pats are going to roll on Saturday. No excuses if they lose as no one has missed practice this week.

no playoffs.. had BB ever made the playoffs without an all time great at QB?

He did make the playoffs with Vinny in 1994. Guess who the Browns beat......................Parcell's Pats with Drew Bledsoe!

Do you recall what happened in 1995 with the Browns? They started 4-4 and then Modell announced the team was moving to Baltimore. The Browns finished the season 1-7 to end up 5-11.

A fine example of the classy Patriot Way from another forum....An erotica novel based on one *****'s love for Gronk. I think what the author left out was that this was actually written by one of the Pats trolls from JI, PatsfanTX. :)

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/01/04/rob-gronkowski-erotica-here-and-something/Yh72UTJ1ewLjBM9Ruh5P4K/story.html

“I’ll never forget the first time I saw Gronk spike a football. It changed my life forever.”

So begins “A Gronking to Remember,” a newly published erotic novella about one woman’s battle to stay faithful to her husband in the face of an unquenchable desire for everyone’s favorite tight end.

Here We Go Again: Patriots Set to Face Baltimore in Divisional Round

Patriots Should Not Be Concerned With Ravens -- or Any Other Potential AFC Opponent

Old Patriots Friends in the NFL Playoffs

No, really.

The book is the latest from Lacey Noonan, author of such classics as “Shipwrecked on the Island of the She Gods,” and “I Don’t Care If My Best Friend’s Mom is a Sasquatch, She’s Hot and I’m Taking a Shower With Her.”

The book begins as protagonist Leigh catches a glimpse of one of Rob Gronkowski’s patented spikes while her husband, Dan, and a few of her friends are watching the Patriots play the Rams. Suddenly, the football-averse Leigh is entranced by what she’s seen.

“It jettisoned jiggling ribbons of electric jelly through my body and melted my knees like two pads of margarine,” Noonan writes.

Leigh’s infatuation with Gronk develops from there, with the above scene ranking as one of the book’s tamer descriptions, based on a quick skim-through. The author describes dozens of fantasies over the book’s 38 pages and, without offering spoilers, its ending includes one of the more, ahem, interesting scenes to ever play out on a football field.

It’s not an aesthetic masterpiece by any means, but “A Gronking to Remember” does boast a certain tongue-in-cheek, did-I-really-just-read-that sort of appeal — just know it’s definitely for adults only.

Email Braden at Braden.Campbell@globe.com and follow him @BradenBDC

He did make the playoffs with Vinny in 1994. Guess who the Browns beat......................Parcell's Pats with Drew Bledsoe!

Do you recall what happened in 1995 with the Browns? They started 4-4 and then Modell announced the team was moving to Baltimore. The Browns finished the season 1-7 to end up 5-11.

4-4!  HOF!

As a Pats fan, I have to admit that I was rooting for a Steelers win. Baltimore was the last team I wanted the Pats to face this Saturday. But after some consideration, and the realization that Flacco is 1/2 the QB that Andrew Luck is, and the Ravens are far less of a team than that one who beat the Pats last time they met inthe playoffs, I'm feeling confident NE will take care of business.  Pats stay healthy and they have their best chance toi get SB win #4. (and this place explodes!)

I hate Pats as much as the next guy. I also think BB is a cheater. But we're grasping at straws when we say we've drafted better or whatever. They are light years better than us as a franchise. Granted, all of their success is recent save for the 85 and 96 teams. Still, we don't have a leg to stand on when comparing franchises in the past 15 years.

2001: Pats (11-5)

2002: Jets  (9-7)*

2003: Pats (14-2)

2004: Pats (14-2)

2005: Pats (10-6)

2006: Pats (12-4)

2007: Pats (16-0)

2008: Dolphins (11-5)**

2009: Pats (10-6)

2010: Pats (14-2)

2011: Pats (13-3)

2012: Pats (12-4)

2013: Pats (12-4)

2014: Pats(12-4)

*We all remember Chadwick!

**Brady done for the season in the 1st game.

That pretty much says everything about the AFC East.

2001: Pats (11-5)

2002: Jets (9-7)*

2003: Pats (14-2)

2004: Pats (14-2)

2005: Pats (10-6)

2006: Pats (12-4)

2007: Pats (16-0)

2008: Dolphins (11-5)**

2009: Pats (10-6)

2010: Pats (14-2)

2011: Pats (13-3)

2012: Pats (12-4)

2013: Pats (12-4)

2014: Pats(12-4)

*We all remember Chadwick!

**Brady done for the season in the 1st game.

That pretty much says everything about the AFC East.

yes.. that Brady is a top 3 QB of all time and has made your franchise and your cheating coach

Just like Montana and Young made Walsh, Marino made Shula, and Starr made Lombardi. Not to mention what Elway did for the biggest cheater in NFL history, Mike Shanahan.

Agreed on Shannahan, but you do realize that Walsh and Shula won with multiple QB's which makes them nothing like BB who is a career loser without Brady?

He is nothing more than a system QB.

Pats still won 11 games with a High School QB when Brady went down for the year.

The Pats missed the playoffs that year. Good work!

Exactly what "system" does the great Belichick run, again? How exactly did he reinvent offensive football?

Agreed on Shannahan, but you do realize that Walsh and Shula won with multiple QB's which makes them nothing like BB who is a career loser without Brady?

Walsh and Shula won before Free Agency and the salary cap.

Very easy to keep a good team together in those days.

The Pats missed the playoffs that year. Good work!

Exactly what "system" does the great Belichick run, again? How exactly did he reinvent offensive football?

Its the one where the greatest qb of all-time calls his own plays and audibles even when he doesnt and Belichick and McDaniels take the credit.

Walsh and Shula won before Free Agency and the salary cap.

Very easy to keep a good team together in those days.

Walsh created the offense that makes a Tom Brady possible.  Both he and Julian Edelman would be crying at their insurance sales jobs right now if it weren't for him.

Just like Montana and Young made Walsh, Marino made Shula, and Starr made Lombardi. Not to mention what Elway did for the biggest cheater in NFL history, Mike Shanahan.

I think Terrell Davis did more for Shanahan and Elway when it came to winning bowls..

Archived