Ray Lewis: We wouldn't know Brady without tuck rule

Jet9

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000458877/article/ray-lewis-we-wouldnt-know-brady-without-tuck-rule

Lewis, the former Ravens linebacker who now serves as an analyst for ESPN, told Sirius XM Mad Dog Radio that Brady built his Hall of Fame legacy on a fortuitous call from officials in a divisional playoff matchup against the Raiders in 2002.

"When we -- the first time we created something called a tuck rule, it's the only reason we know -- I'm just being honest -- the only reason we know who Tom Brady is, because of a tuck rule," Lewis said. "There's no such thing as a tuck rule! If the ball is in your hand, and I knock it out your hand, whether it's going backwards, forwards, lateral, sideways, however it's coming out, that's a freaking fumble."

"But guess what we created? We created a freaking tuck rule!"

The tuck rule was established in 1999, three years before Charles Woodsonseparated Brady from the ball at old Foxboro Stadium. The NFL excised the rule in 2013. Continue, Ray ...

"They don't go to that championship game -- they don't go to that championship game if that tuck rule, if that ball is not called a tuck! That's a fumble!" he said. "Charles Woodsonmade that man clearly fumble the ball and they named it the tuck rule, something that we've never heard in today's game. So now you've got to ask yourself: When did the legacy really start?"

This was all part of a larger rant by Lewis, who was fired up -- seriously, he's yelling into his phone at one point -- about how rules are hurting the NFL. Sample quote: "There are so many rules to a game that's really very simple!"

If I had to take a shot at Lewis' greater point here, I'd guess he's saying that if the tuck play never happened, it would have set off a butterfly effect that would have greatly minimized Tom Brady in NFL lore. No rings, no MVPs, no Gisele.

I don't really know what Ray Lewis is talking about.

He's right about the rules that get made up all the time. He's wrong about Brady though. 

Hell is a Sunday morning roundtable featuring Ray Lewis, Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders and Emmit Smith. 

I watch CBS on Sundays. One reason is my friend works on the show. The other is because I find it to be the most likable crew. Fox's guys aren't terrible though. ESPN and NFL are brutal, and I say that as someone who like Rich Eisen. 

My favourite Tuck Rule myth is that it was never called before that Pats/Raiders game. Jets fans should know it was called, in the Jets favour, early in the week 2 game with the Pats in 2001 when Vinny was strip sacked!

That is the Mo Lewis game.

My favourite Tuck Rule myth is that it was never called before that Pats/Raiders game. Jets fans should know it was called, in the Jets favour, early in the week 2 game when Mo Lewis knocked out Bledsoe.

It was a fumble mon and it wasn't close either. Brady is on record for stating it is a fumble.

It was a fumble mon and it wasn't close either. Brady is on record for stating it is a fumble.

I thought Vinny fumbled as well. I was screaming like a crazy man when the call went against the Pats. When it happened to Brady I said to myself, "That call is going to be overturned."

I took the NFL 12 or 13 years to repeal that stupid rule.

My friends and I have taught ourselves to live watching Rat Lewis the same way we taught ourselves to live fatcessa.

You must listen with a willingness to laugh at such a ridiculous person. It really has turned into the beat comedy on radio/television for us.

You guys should give it a try. It's awesome!

There are much better nightmares

The parade of idiots. Ray Lewis, Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders and Emmit Smith.

Ray Lewis: Dumb as a stump

Michael Irvin: All he does is laugh and touch people.... Hehehehe

Deion: He isn't on TV anymore right?

Rich Eisen is the best guy.

Emmit Smith: The man doesn't speak English!

You just went full racist. Never go full racist.

I have family members who know Deion. Another good friend who worked with him at CBS. He's actually a nice guy. But yeah, he's a terrible analyst. He's at NFL network currently.

FTR: my friend at CBS said James Brown is the nicest guy in the world. When workers bring their kids in or whatever he's super cordial and let's them check out the studio, ask him stuff, whatever. Its also 'his show'. Everyone defers to him on air talent wise. Said Boomer is 'a dude'. Likes him a lot.

He also said Shannon Sharpe was the worst since he's been there. As in: he's a d%&5head.

Archived