Will Coples be our Calais Campbell?

DaBallhawk

If dunbar loves Copless so much get a 2nd rd pick from Jills

The Bills don't even have a 1st rounder anymore so they're not gonna trade their 2nd round pick. Not that I'd be interested. Not that Buffalo has a need in their front 7. Not that Dunbar has any say. So I doubt that happens.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bills don't even have a 1st rounder anymore so they're not gonna trade their 2nd round pick. Not that I'd be interested. Not that Buffalo has a need in their front 7. Not that Dunbar has any say. So I doubt that happens.

I understand that, I was semi-kidding, If Whaley cows down to Dunbar, they got major issues. All I know is my Jills friends are ready to take a gaspipe right now

The other pet peeve are the posters who recommend college players without even watching them play, they see the Kipers of the world  thumbnails... Guess what Kiper is not even a scout. 

LOL, mad much, LOL. 

Hey I get some wrong like you did (4 years in a row predicting Pars wouldnt win AFC-E), who cares, its OK to be wrong as long as you care. 

chill dude, you will live longer, let it go, take a deep breath..

In a 3-4 its almost assinine to look at sack totals, the job of a 3-4 lineman is to eat blocks to allow our slow as molasses Lbers to get to the QB by the next play. I truly hope Bowles/Macdaddy recognize our slow as sh*t LB corps and bring in some much needed speed for that unit. Goodbye Pace, Babin, Harris.

Good point, and this is why I felt that switching to a 4-3 would be a better situation for the moment because all of the guys that could be considered our pass rushers are guys that have to eat blocks. 

Good point, and this is why I felt that switching to a 4-3 would be a better situation for the moment because all of the guys that could be considered our pass rushers are guys that have to eat blocks. 

I guess time will tell........

I think Rex was more 'play my system whehter skillset there', Bowles appears to be more adapatpive, which is a good thing if u r good at XsOs in multiples schelmes

I dont want to trade Wilkerson. If he's willing to stay for the right amount of money then I prefer that he stays. Im not trying to push him out of a moving car if you will. But lets be serious, you're on the forums just like me. You see people talking about "just throw him 85 million dollars". Its ridiculous man. He's not even 85% of JJ Watt so you dont pay him 85% of his money. I said earlier that if he can sign for 45-50 million on a 5 year deal max then pull the trigger, but if he thinks that he's worth 65-85 million dollars then you damn right you have Wilk kick rocks and put in Coples. 

That I agree with you about. JJ Watt takes over games almost by himself. Wilk does not do that so I hear your point there. I would love to develop a team and policy similar to the Steelers.  They let the big nae guys go more times than not when they want that big pay day and have the next guy up take his place. Usually to equal or even better results. It's crazy how consistent it is over there. I would love to have something like that going on here. 

It all comes down to the numbers, in terms of what it will take to resign him, but I have to agree with you.  I like Coples and think he can really flourish under Bowles but that remains to be seen.  I am not trading Wilk unless I am truly "Bowled" over.  Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)

Bowled over   lol    Who knew the almost limitless possibilities with this guys last name eh?  

Zero chance mo gets traded. Period. A top defensive coach comes in and trades probably his best defensive player, when we are 40 million under the cap. Not happening, focus on our many needs not strengths. The jets should be shaking every tree to get a qb, offer top picks for rivers, ben r., colin k. Etc.

So let me get this straight.. Some people on here want to trade one of the best defensive ends in the league for draft picks to draft an unknown commodity? If J.J. Watt is not in this league, then we can be talking as Mo is the best DE in this league.

This makes zero ******* sense.

It can be argued that Wilkerson is better than Campbell. No need to debate who's the 2nd or 3rd best 3-4 DE in the game, obviously Wilkerson is in the conversation. 

To straighten something out here, the topic of Wilkerson being traded or trade bait, at least from my point of view is based on his salary in relation to the depth that we have on the defensive line and the lack of talent we have everywhere else. I've heard people say that Wilkerson deserves a contract of 65 upwards of 85 million for 6 years. Not on a team that has the depth that we have. Honestly Ghost, if Wilkerson walked into Woody's office and said that he wants 85 million for 6 years or he's walking Woody better trade him because tying up 85 million dollars when you have the talent that you have is a waste of money and could have went to a position or another level of the defense that actually needs some attention. Mo Wilkerson making 10 million a year is acceptable, he deserves such a contract though I feel with the talent that we have on the team we could even do without that, but I dont need to be an ass about it. However, 12 million, 13 million, 14 million a year? For a guy who isn't even the best and is arguably not even 2nd best? We didnt even want to give 14-16 million to Darrelle Revis and he WAS THE BEST and his contribution put us in the playoffs and he was the main reason why people said that "Sanchez rode the defense" No one is saying that sh*t with Wilkerson at defensive end? Yeah, Geno Smith rode Wilkerson's defense on their way to a 4-12 record.

Stuff like this shows me that people base money on personal opinion of the player and not the performance the player brings. People were sick to their stomachs when thinking about Revis getting 16 million a year when he was not just the best on our team but in the damn league and we didnt have a replacement on the squad for him. Meanwhile you have Wilkerson, 2nd to 3rd best 3-4 DE in the league (not even overall), and people are okay with shelling 14 million to him and we have players that have shown to step up when Wilkerson isn't on the field and there is no major dip in Dline performance when Wilkerson isn't there. The entire secondary fell apart when Revis got injured then soon after traded.

The thought process here is the only thing here tha makes no sense. 

Agree Jimmy, going all the way back to Riggins, we have seen our best players waltz out the door. Where did this trading Mo talk come from? Mo is a proven stud, a draft pick is a crapshoot as we as Jets fans should know better than most.

No way you could possibly trade him for draft picks....but if you could get a QB - I pull the trigger....Someone like RGIII...(I realize this is going to get a lot of abuse - but if we could get him he has upside, if you could get his head straight you might have a franchise guy...I roll the dice on this.

Im going to say something here and its relevant to what you said above that I highlighted. If this statement above is true, then most of what Wilkerson has done for his career cannot be valued the same. The last time the Jets had a season win total of 10 or more was 1 year in the past 6. The last time the Jets made the playoffs was 4 years ago. 

I'll even be considerate, The last 3 years Wilkerson was the unquestioned best player on the team. In the past 3 years the Jets were 18-30 with no playoff appearances and Wilk was 2nd team all pro in 2013 and 14. the prior 3 years when Revis was the unquestioned best player on the team the Jets were 28-20 with two playoff appearances and 4 playoff wins. Revis was AFC DPOTY in 2009, a 3 time 1st team all pro, 3 time pro bowler, interception return yards leader 2011 and ranked #8 in the top 100 players in 2011. 

My point being, how can you value Wilkerson to the point where we can give him a huge contract based on his performance in non playoff years yet people catch a fit when Revis wanted more money? Here's a fact, we havent been to the playoffs since Mevi$ got hurt then was traded off this team. We also haven't had a top 5 defense since he's been off the team. 

My point here is, if we cannot value Coples (or Geno's) performance in a so-called meaningless game then how can we completely value Wilkerson's role in 3 meaningless years with him being the "best player"? Given the jets record the past 3 years, a damn good portion of those games were meaningless, am I right? 

As for Sanchez, he surely didnt ruin their playoff run. When your starting QB is out for a huge part of the season and your backup has you in playoff contention until week 17, thats not messing up their chances. Sanchez played in 9 games and went 5-4, threw for almost 3000 yards and completed 64% of his throws. His completion rate went up 10 points than his highest he's ever had as a Jet, the same goes for his QBR and standard rating. Mark Sanchez is who he is, but he's shown that with the right scheme and coach that he can win you football games. Would Rex and Marty gotten that type of performance out of Mark? Hell no. 

And I do appreciate that you value my point of view even when we're at different ends of the debate. The feeling is mutual. 

I see what you're saying. At the same time you can also include that the 8 games of all three years were meaningful at minimum due to not being out of playoff contention. Also we can add in 2011 and 2013 we thought we had a shot all the way until the last few games or so. That would make most of Wilk's career meaningful games. :D

I get what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree. Mo is not worth JJ watt money.

The whole deal with Revis was he wanted 16 mil a year. not 12 and that is a big deal. Add to that Revis held out twice in his first 5 seasons. Add the THAT he had a major knee injury and was a question mark. I get it, but placing 16 mil on any player other than a QB is not smart. All Revis really does is take one player away. Important and really cool sure, but that's really all it is. Peyton Manning showed how to beat that in the 09 championship. Just have 3-4 guys who can get open and catch. Revis was busy locking down wayne while Garcion and friends was torching Marquise Cole and Coleman.  An argument could be made that Reggie Wayne did a masterful job taking our best player out of the game entirely. :D  Like what I did there???   lol

I get your point with the Eagles coaching staff vs the Jets and I agree. The problem with that is using Sanchez as the focal point of your argument. They didn't make it to the playoffs after being 6-1 ( I think it was) and he lost the Washington game almost by himself. That's Sanchez. 5 picks to the lowly bills in my last game at Giants stadium. I'll never forgive him for that. That prick.

Thats always been the problem with a lot of these guys. Milliner has always been expected to be Revis instead of expected to do his assignment. Milliner wasnt being groomed, neither was Coples. Coples wasnt placed at OLB because he was great at the position, he was placed there because of his measurables that would make him a freak at the position if he able to be successful at it. He wasnt, and instead of putting him back to where he can be productive they instead kept him playing a position where he couldn't contribute to the defense.

Look what they did with Antonio Allen. Last year the guy was coming into his own, Rex decided to rejoin his Baltimore years and sit him for a guy who was obviously washed up. Then this year they play him at Corner, nickel, linebacker, Free safety, strong safety etc. completely destroying his confidence and his year. Don't even get me started on the travesty called the offense and how that has gone down the drain the past 4 years.

It's like Rex would throw Coples out there thinking he'd be Terrell Suggs, Milliner would be Revis, Pryor would be Ed Reed, etc, and when they weren't, he'd just throw his hands up and whisper to Manish that they were sh*tty picks. He'll do the same thing in Buffalo. All of a sudden, Stephon Gilmore and Kiko Alonso will look like busts.

I guess time will tell........

I think Rex was more 'play my system whehter skillset there', Bowles appears to be more adapatpive, which is a good thing if u r good at XsOs in multiples schelmes

I think you're right. Based on what the Arizona players have said regarding Bowles being able to adapt further supports that. I was hearing how Bowles was running a primarily 3-4 defense but switched to a 4-3 defense when they played the Cowboys in order to stop Murray. Murray had 8 straight games with 100 yards and 7 total TD's. Murray was held to 79 yards,  zero TD's and a loss. 

You don't trade Mo...

Why would you do that? for a QB maybe - or for a position player of his skill set in a position of need (but you're going to have to pay that person Wilk money)  Def. do not trade him for draft picks...

Trade Mo so we can hope to draft another stud?  When you're lucky enough to draft a guy like Mo you keep him.

Just like we should have kept Revis.  When all's said and done we should still have Revis and have $35mm in cap space now instead of $45mm

So true, lets not trade our best D lineman yet...And no its not Sheldon. Mo > Sheldon.

That I agree with you about. JJ Watt takes over games almost by himself. Wilk does not do that so I hear your point there. I would love to develop a team and policy similar to the Steelers.  They let the big nae guys go more times than not when they want that big pay day and have the next guy up take his place. Usually to equal or even better results. It's crazy how consistent it is over there. I would love to have something like that going on here. 

I've been talking about this topic for a couple weeks now. This is why when speaking to one person I told them, "The best way for me to explain this is, JJ Watt is worth 100 million dollars for 6 years. Mo Wilkerson is not worth 85 million dollars for 6 years". To say that he is, is to say that he's 85% of what Watt is, and he's just nowhere near that. JJ Watt is just a different level man. If the NFL was like the stop before the "pros", not only would Watt be in that next league but he'd be an all pro in that one too, its just that damn good. 

Not to make a JJ Watt comparison a reason for me being somehow right or way people to my point of view, the bottom-line is when you have such depth then price tag needs to be evaluated. If Wilkerson was the only person on the line worth a damn then I can see the point of shelling out that cash in order to keep the line respectable, thats no where near the case with the Jets. It can be argued that Wilkerson is no longer the best player on the line when you look at what Richardson is doing. All I'm saying is we need ALOT of pieces, lets not just throw money to Wilkerson just because. Wilkerson will get his payday because he is one of the best in the league and quite frankly deserves it, but it doesnt have to be the by Jets. 

Tom Brady is arguably the best QB in the game, and he takes pay cuts all the time. Why? because he understand that the talent must be spread around the team, and in order to do that so must the money. Isn't it ironic he's playing in his 9th AFCCG. 

Trading Mo makes only sense on draft day when some team is about to pick and offers us their pick with one of our targets on the board. Otherwise it makes no sense to trade Mo now for some pick where we don't even know who's gonna be available at that spot. I don't care if it's the 15th pick or what. I mean the top defensive players will go anywhere from 1-10. And you'd have to strike more than just gold for them to turn out to be another Mo, All Pro type players.

Sheldon Richardson is a fantastic player, but drafting him put the Jets in a complicated position. Right now in a 3-4 scheme the Jets have 3 quality defensive ends, and in a 4-3 scheme with the development of Harrison the Jets have 3 quality interior linemen and a left end.

Ultimately I think it's best to let Coples walk when his contract is up and build the team around a DL of Wilkerson, Harrison, and Richardson.

I just tried to figure out how Bowles would use our guys and looked over Arizona's defense. One thing, one player that stood out of in their defense of course is Campbell who is a Pro Bowl type player. They don't really have an edge rusher or great pass rushers up front outside of Campbell which pretty much limits what you can do in terms of playcalling, you kind of have to blitz linebackers all the time to generate pressure. Anyway, so I'm looking at Campbell and I can't stop comparing him to Coples. They are both huge, (listed at 6'6, 290 & 6'8, 300). They both have the same type of skillset (strong & athletic) and they're both immensely talented with the same sort of pedigree (6.5 sacks vs 8 sacks, 1st round pick vs 2nd round pick).

And yes, Campbell at this point is a better player of course because he didn't have Rex play him at OLB. When he Q moved to the front to replace Wilk he looked like a stud in my eyes and that's what Campbell does in Arizona so I'm expecting Bowles to do the same here with Q. Wilk will definitely be re-signed, no way our defensive minded HC lets his Temple guy who happens to be one of the best defensive players in the league at 24 (?) years only just walk. Sheldon is obviously not going anywhere either. He has some similarity with Dockett who was Bowles' DE (until he landed on IR), just comparing their size & playing style. Sheldon is 5 times the player of course and a gazillion years younger. So you have Q and Sheldon outside at DE in a perfect world I guess. Wilk has shown that he can be even more dominant inside as the 3-4 NT, he made a lot of plays there behind the LOS whether it's tackles for a loss or sacks. Come to think of it, that's mostly where he made his impact plays I think, at least from what I remember.

I don't know how well he would hold up there if he kept getting double/triple teamed and the offense ran the ball right at him, he's not built like Snacks or Kenrick, he's not as stout. Those two pluggers are similar to Dan Williams & Ta'amu from the Cardinals. Built like Spongebob...minus the legs. Do we bring back Snacks and let him continue to be our NT? Do we move Wilk to NT, trade Snacks and re-sign Ellis to be a situational type run stuffer and backup Wilk inside?

RE Coples - NT Wilkerson - LE Richardson

with a little bit of Ellis thrown in the mix, Snacks gets traded

RE Wilkerson - NT Harrison - LE Richardson

with Coples at "OLB", but used differently (pretty much have a 4 man front, have Wilk move inside a couple yards and instead of standing up let Coples play out of the 3 point stance which he does best). Snacks gets re-signed & Ellis walks

Those are really our only 2 options I figure. There's no way you let Wilkerson & Richardson start at DE and have Coples back them up. Those 2 guys play like almost every snap, and they should, it doesn't affect them and they get better the longer the game lasts. You don't cut their snaps in half just to get Coples out there. So what do we do? I'm very excited to see what Bowles is going to be able to get out of this defense where he just doesn't have to blitz AT ALL in order to generate pass rush.

Coples is not an OLB. When he puts his hand in the dirt he is way more impactful. I think Wilkerson should be traded not snacks. Salary cap wise it's going to be hard to have Wilkerson, Coples and Richardson all top paid a few years from now.

That being said I love your analysis and the way you presented it. Great post.

I see what you're saying. At the same time you can also include that the 8 games of all three years were meaningful at minimum due to not being out of playoff contention. Also we can add in 2011 and 2013 we thought we had a shot all the way until the last few games or so. That would make most of Wilk's career meaningful games. :biggrin:

I get what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree. Mo is not worth JJ watt money.

The whole deal with Revis was he wanted 16 mil a year. not 12 and that is a big deal. Add to that Revis held out twice in his first 5 seasons. Add the THAT he had a major knee injury and was a question mark. I get it, but placing 16 mil on any player other than a QB is not smart. All Revis really does is take one player away. Important and really cool sure, but that's really all it is. Peyton Manning showed how to beat that in the 09 championship. Just have 3-4 guys who can get open and catch. Revis was busy locking down wayne while Garcion and friends was torching Marquise Cole and Coleman.  An argument could be made that Reggie Wayne did a masterful job taking our best player out of the game entirely. :biggrin:  Like what I did there???   lol

I get your point with the Eagles coaching staff vs the Jets and I agree. The problem with that is using Sanchez as the focal point of your argument. They didn't make it to the playoffs after being 6-1 ( I think it was) and he lost the Washington game almost by himself. That's Sanchez. 5 picks to the lowly bills in my last game at Giants stadium. I'll never forgive him for that. That prick.

I absolutely agree. And with that said, I can say playing a guy out of position 2 out of his 3 years and him doing poorly has put a bad taste in peoples mouths, but when he's been put on the line with his hands in the dirt and has produced it should be equally respected. 

As for Revis, he was doing business. Im not going to hold it against him with the holdout because that will involve personal opinion and not what we're talking about which is impact, production and depth. Its not okay to give Revis 16 million to be the best in the business (with no depth behind him) and it helps out every level of your defense but its okay for Wilkerson to get 14 million (with depth behind him) and the Jets go 4-12, better yet have a losing record every year that Wilkerson has been considered the best player on the team? I totally understood what you did with the Colts example, but I also remember us beating them in the playoffs that 2nd year. I can't recall any playoff appearances with Wilkerson running the ship. 

Now as for Sanchez, the Eagles were 5-2 when Foles got hurt and Sanchez took over. Sanchez went 5-4 but here's the difference. Sanchez had a better average, completion percentage, and a better rating than Foles. Also, when Foles was playing the Eagles defense gave up an average of 22ppg, under Sanchez they gave up 27ppg...basically a difference of a touchdown. More specifically, the games that Sanchez lost, the eagles defense was giving up ridiculous points. 53 points to Green Bay, 38 points to Dallas, 24 points to Seattle, and 27 points to Washington. Now, I'll give you the Washington game, Sanchez threw a bad pick towards the end and they scored, however, the other three games Sanchez lost to were teams that were all playing in the divisional round of the playoffs and two of them in the championship rounds tomorrow. The only respectable team that Nick Foles beat was Indy. Go check the record yourself. Mark Sanchez second half of the season made Nick Foles first half look like a cake walk, and Sanchez took it all the way down to the wire. 

Sanchez had a better season than Foles while facing legit opponents. This is the reason why imo the Eagles aren't really believing in Foles, he went 5-2 but look at the teams and his numbers against them, then do the same with Sanchez and the teams that he played. You dont have to believe it, but based on what we've known of Sanchez and his history, the guy played lights out for Philly. 

It's like Rex would throw Coples out there thinking he'd be Terrell Suggs, Milliner would be Revis, Pryor would be Ed Reed, etc, and when they weren't, he'd just throw his hands up and whisper to Manish that they were sh*tty picks. He'll do the same thing in Buffalo. All of a sudden, Stephon Gilmore and Kiko Alonso will look like busts.

It killed me to see Rex do that. Now dont get me wrong, I love the fact that Rex would have that type of belief in his players, but he never got the point that the players he had weren't the players he used to have and he never gameplanned to protect them, especially in the 2nd half of games. It was like Rex was going to just "Will it" to work. I just didnt understand it. This is why I like Bowles so much. One of the first things I heard about him was how he would adjust game plans on the fly during games, and he was so meticulous with it that there were times where players standing next to Bowles on the side line would hear him accurately call out an entire offensive drive of his opponent. Thats f'ing nuts right there. Thats damn near obsessive, the guy is that serious about getting it done and putting his players in position to win. In order to do that you have to know what you're doing as a coach. 

Coples is not an OLB. When he puts his hand in the dirt he is way more impactful. I think Wilkerson should be traded not snacks. Salary cap wise it's going to be hard to have Wilkerson, Coples and Richardson all top paid a few years from now.

That being said I love your analysis and the way you presented it. Great post.

Thanks man I appreciate it. And I agree, Coples is not a linebacker.

I have a good question. How?

We were eligible to resign Mo awhile back. The asking price for a player of his calober back then was 8-9m a year.

Instead that idiot Idzik held off. Now Quinn, JJ Watt and soon to be Suh and Houstons contracts will be the comparables and his gauremteed money will be near doubled. In this Market today Mo is a 11-12m dollar player. Any Gm or even any fan could have seen this with the way the salary cap is going up.

When you have a good young player you lock him up as soon as possible for as cheap as possible. You see it all the time in baseball. You see it all the time from the better teams in the NFL. Good teams with cap room like ours dont let young stud lineman get to free agency. The Patriots are in the playoffs and still resigning guys over the last few weeks.

The franchse tag for Dlineman will be 15m next year. We are not franchising him. Now that hes this close to free agency there is no way we are resigning him for anything less then 12m per with a huge gaurentee. He has all the leverage. Why would he want to sign coming off a bad season when hes scheduled to be a free agent in the largest salary cap year in the last decade ?

No one should be shocked if Mo gets traded - And if it happens its on Idzik. It better never get to this point with Richardson. Jason from Over the cap had an article on this a while back and Mo's contract situation. Good reading if you want.

Defense is way over rated ... Way way over rated.

Agree.  Thank you.  Rex talked his defense to extraordinary heights. 

Never held in a big spot.  Well maybe once or twice.  Can't wait to see how Bowles molds this squad it a great force. Of course we can use a few DB's.

We were eligible to resign Mo awhile back. The asking price for a player of his calober back then was 8-9m a year.

Instead that idiot Idzik held off. Now Quinn, JJ Watt and soon to be Suh and Houstons contracts will be the comparables and his gauremteed money will be near doubled. In this Market today Mo is a 11-12m dollar player. Any Gm or even any fan could have seen this with the way the salary cap is going up.

When you have a good young player you lock him up as soon as possible for as cheap as possible. You see it all the time in baseball. You see it all the time from the better teams in the NFL. Good teams with cap room like ours dont let young stud lineman get to free agency. The Patriots are in the playoffs and still resigning guys over the last few weeks.

The franchse tag for Dlineman will be 15m next year. We are not franchising him. Now that hes this close to free agency there is no way we are resigning him for anything less then 12m per with a huge gaurentee. He has all the leverage. Why would he want to sign coming off a bad season when hes scheduled to be a free agent in the largest salary cap year in the last decade ?

No one should be shocked if Mo gets traded - And if it happens its on Idzik. It better never get to this point with Richardson. Jason from Over the cap had an article on this a while back and Mo's contract situation. Good reading if you want.

If Wilkerson doesnt take a max of 10 million per year and he's traded then thats on Wilkerson because he's not worth more than that. You know who may be worth more if he keeps progressing? Sheldon Richardson, thats right. 

Wilkerson is easily better than the likes of Chris Long, Haloti Ngata, Charles Johnson, Calais Campbell. All those guys make 12-13 mil. per year, that's what he's gonna shoot for, maybe a little more. He could have easily gotten 15+ mil. on the FA market but he's locked up here for at least one more year so he doesn't have much leverage right now and will have to settle for less money. Anything from 10-12 mil. per year is a good deal for the Jets because he will only get better, he hasn't hit his prime yet, he will outperform that kind of deal from the get go, he will be considered underpaid in a couple of year if we do lock him up for 10-12 mil. per year. Robert Quinn makes 15 mil. per year, McCoy makes 16 mil. per year, so does Mario Williams. Wilk is on the same level if not better. And you're gonna pay Wilk 8 mil. per year? Not happening.

Archived