So did they get a Cap guy?

TomsRiverJet

Who cares.  Cap guys have f*cked up our cap/roster beyond belief because they couldn't recognize value.  Let some intern take care of it.

I would outsource it. Americans are great at remembering Eminem lyrics, but suck at math.

This is a serious concern. We don't have an experinced negotiator on this staff. I wish Casserly would have stuck around in that type of role to support his hand picked "GM jr."

The new league year doesn't start until mid-March so there isn't anything to negotiate at the moment. Plenty of time

This is a serious concern. We don't have an experinced negotiator on this staff. I wish Casserly would have stuck around in that type of role to support his hand picked "GM jr."

It's really not that serious a concern. We don't know a lot about Maccagnan, and some of the stuff that came out was that he wasn't an alpha-male type, didn't dominate a room, etc. But since he's come on board, he's overhauled the front office faster than I think most people imagined he could. Had no problem firing the people he didn't want, and had no problem bringing in the people he wanted - even people under contract. It's early, but so far the man looks like someone who can get stuff done.

A big part of talent evaluation is placing a monetary value on a player. If he's good at the talent evaluating portion of his job, getting the right player for the right price should fall right into place.

The salary cap is no great mystery. I'm sure it was discussed in interviews (allegedly, Tom Gamble's lack of knowledge here sunk his interview two years ago), and I'm sure he came across as someone who understood how to put a roster together. He should bring in someone to handle the minutiae (if he hasn't already brought in someone completely under the radar), but he should have a handle on the big picture.

We should have kept Idzik for this. Woody has to pay him anyway

No, nope, absolutely not.

You don't keep the guy you're replacing around to be an underling to his replacement, it's a sure-fire way to foster dysfunction. That would be the way the Jets had always done things under Woody - keeping Bradway on when promoting Tannenbaum, forcing Schottenheimer on Rex, forcing Rex on Idzik. All bad ideas. They finally did it right by completely cleaning house. We should be grateful.

Archived