Mariota signature performance

AFJF

For those who love Mariota versus those of us who are unsure about him, what game would you say was his most impressive performance?  Actually, feel free to name a few.  I'm just curious because I'd like to find highlights from that game and take a peek.  I realize highlight reels don't tell the whole story, but everything I've found on him so far shows him doing nothing but scrambling and hitting wide open WR's.  No fitting the ball through a tight window or beating tight coverage that I can find. 

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try the Stanford game last year when he was playing with a sprained mcl. 

I'll have to look for a few more.  Just watched a few minutes of highlights from that game and saw more of the same.  Scrambling and hitting wide open WR's.

I was also trying to look him up earlier today, and I gotta say, if he couldn't run, he wouldn't be anywhere close to being mentioned in the 1st round. His arm isn't anything special, he can just run and buy time, which limits mistakes. But in the NFL when you don't have 3 WRs open on every play, mistakes will happen, and he will only look to run after his arm starts failing him. If he's there at 6 I'm praying Mac will pass on him and go for a sure thing. I was high on him in the beginning of the season, and I still think he might be okay in the league, but... as a 6th overall pick.... BUST.

Don't have a signature game but in 3 years he completed 779 passes for over 10k yards with 105 TD's and only 14 interceptions, with at least one touchdown pass in every game he started, he also ran for 2,200 yards with another 29 TD's

6' 4", 220 lbs with strong character, so he should not be banging 17 year olds and dancing butt naked in the offseason 

High risk, Yes, but I think he is worth the risk if he falls to 6 and the Eagles do not give up the farm for the pick

Last year's game against Washington and this year's against WSU. The latter was one of the most impressive games for anyone on the year. OU's line and running game were absolutely awful, the defense kept bending to Halliday, and the Cougars were bringing some serious pressure all game. He had something like 4 incompletions on the day and rushed for over a bill on the ground. I have no clue how any of what he did that day will translate to the pros but the dude was near perfect that day.

I was also trying to look him up earlier today, and I gotta say, if he couldn't run, he wouldn't be anywhere close to being mentioned in the 1st round. His arm isn't anything special, he can just run and buy time, which limits mistakes. But in the NFL when you don't have 3 WRs open on every play, mistakes will happen, and he will only look to run after his arm starts failing him. If he's there at 6 I'm praying Mac will pass on him and go for a sure thing. I was high on him in the beginning of the season, and I still think he might be okay in the league, but... as a 6th overall pick.... BUST.

So Johnny Manziel without the partying?

All the "experts" were saying how Manziel could "buy time" and make throws. I'm watching what they're talking about on TV and he's got like 10 seconds to run around. And yes, he's avoiding some sacks, etc... But the NFL D's will pretty much NEVER give you 10 seconds back there. And sure enough, when Manziel started he looks 3 steps behind the defenses. 

I don't see why the Eagles would wait until the 6th pick came up to trade for him.  I realize that in theory they should be able to get him for less that way.  But still, if they really want him then they really want him and one of the first 5 teams will trade for him.  I'd love to trade w/ the Eagles and maybe get Nick Foles (who from what I saw seemed like a capable QB) and hopefully draft a guy like Scherff (sp?)  The LOS is where the game is controlled.

Take a QB first round til the end of time or til we hit on a real QB. I'm tired of the Genos and Sanchezs. 

I agree comletely with taking a QB every year, but I'm not so sure about Mariota at six.  Hell, with 12 picks in last years draft I said we should have taken one early, one middle, and one late.  Keep bringing in QB's till you get one.  However, not as high an Mariota as I was earlier in the season now that I see how few NFL type throws he had to make.  I looked for Winston highlights and the first five throws I saw him make were better than than any throw I saw Mariota make.  He's getting the ball out to beat the blitz and dropping it over the LB and in front of the saftey to hit a guy in the numbers...those are the types of throws I wanna' see if a guy is supposed to be a "can't miss" QB.

So Johnny Manziel without the partying?

All the "experts" were saying how Manziel could "buy time" and make throws. I'm watching what they're talking about on TV and he's got like 10 seconds to run around. And yes, he's avoiding some sacks, etc... But the NFL D's will pretty much NEVER give you 10 seconds back there. And sure enough, when Manziel started he looks 3 steps behind the defenses. 

I've been saying Johnny Manziel is a bust from day 1, so yeah, agreed I guess. Both busts.

I'd say Kap's arm is roughly 84x's stronger IMHO.

that can be said but they have the same intangibles every time i watch him play i be like damn that's the college version of Kapernick they move around the pocket just alike with the weird throwing form with freakish athleticism.

that can be said but they have the same intangibles every time i watch him play i be like damn that's the college version of Kapernick they move around the pocket just alike with the weird throwing form with freakish athleticism.

Yeah, I've done enough searching for Mariota highlights...a few good throws here and there, but largely productive with his legs and passes to guys without a defender within 5-10 yards.  Too risky for No. 6 IMO.

Yeah, I've done enough searching for Mariota highlights...a few good throws here and there, but largely productive with his legs and passes to guys without a defender within 5-10 yards.  Too risky for No. 6 IMO.

that sounds about right but he can throw the long ball he's just not that accurate over 40 yds the receiver has to work for it but like i said he's a poor man's Kapernick with a lot of potential.

that sounds about right but he can throw the long ball he's just not that accurate over 40 yds the receiver has to work for it but like i said he's a poor man's Kapernick with a lot of potential.

That's what worries me.  I'd like to see a guy make some NFL throws through some tight windows/anticipating blitzes, etc...  If I look at Winston highlights there are a ton of throws that look like an NFL QB, not so much with Mariota.

He is not currently a deep ball guy. He can hit seam routes and slants with accuracy.

This whole "can't hit a guy that is covered" is a bit ridiculous as he hits 69%, is accurate and above average arm strength. 

You would like the guy to have a better deep accuracy, but you can't haver everything.

He is MUCH better than anything teh Jets have, and better than is what on the open market.

He is not currently a deep ball guy. He can hit seam routes and slants with accuracy.

This whole "can't hit a guy that is covered" is a bit ridiculous as he hits 69%, is accurate and above average arm strength. 

You would like the guy to have a better deep accuracy, but you can't haver everything.

He is MUCH better than anything teh Jets have, and better than is what on the open market.

i agree,all rookies have flaws including winston but its how they develop in the pros i feel a lot better about our coaches now than when Rex was here they was awful in quarterback development.

Archived