49ers Release Stevie Johnson

The Troll

Only fans "cream themselves" for players tat haven't done anything in two years, but have a dotted line to a coach on the staff. SMH

I literally hope our coaching staff and front office do none of the things the fans have advocated about chasing Gailey's ex-Bills. Much prefer the idea of adding players that can be good now and into the future, rather than were good 2 years ago. Rex always had a hardon for guys that were good a couple years ago. No thanks.

I don't even care about his ties to Gailey. That's just a bonus in my opinion. I just think he's a good player who would give us a nice receiving corps, along with Decker, Amaro, Kerley, and (if kept on the roster) Harvin.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is exactly the type of player the jets need at WR, experienced in the system, only 28 yo, but not so expensive as you would not spend a 1st on a true #1 if that pick is the best value at that spot.

Integrity28, you should not devalue the help that an scheme experienced wr will bring to the offense. Johnson, will probably come in between Kerley and Decker say 5.5-6.5 over 3-4 years.  They could look at bringing in Thigpen, for the 4th qb in camp for the same purpose to act as a coach during field drills. 

Only fans "cream themselves" for players tat haven't done anything in two years, but have a dotted line to a coach on the staff. SMH

I literally hope our coaching staff and front office do none of the things the fans have advocated about chasing Gailey's ex-Bills. Much prefer the idea of adding players that can be good now and into the future, rather than were good 2 years ago. Rex always had a hardon for guys that were good a couple years ago. No thanks.

Names? There aren't a lot out there and we have nearly $60mil of which we need to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $54 mil.

He is exactly the type of player the jets need at WR, experienced in the system, only 28 yo, but not so expensive as you would not spend a 1st on a true #1 if that pick is the best value at that spot.

Integrity28, you should not devalue the help that an scheme experienced wr will bring to the offense. Johnson, will probably come in between Kerley and Decker say 5.5-6.5 over 3-4 years.  They could look at bringing in Thigpen, for the 4th qb in camp for the same purpose to act as a coach during field drills. 

If you have to use up 2-3 rosters spots for "coaches on the field" just to help a new coordinator install a system, then you've hired the wrong coaches on the sideline. 

I'm not devaluing anyone. I simply providing a reality check to the people who are over-valuing the guy. I'm not the one talking about how Chan Gailey is calling MacCagnan to get Stevie here or "creaming himself" for Christ's sake. We're talking about a player who hasn't done jack in a few seasons. Only Jet fans in their customary off-season state of euphoric self-delusion look at a #4 WR on another teams roster, refer to what he did 3 years ago, and somehow build an equation making that guy "the answer".

He'd be a nice signing, sure, but give me a break with the expectations people are conjuring.

Names? There aren't a lot out there and we have nearly $60mil of which we need to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $54 mil.

At this point in their careers, I'd take Torrey Smith, Cecil Shorts and Harry Douglas just as quickly as I'd take Stevie Johnson. I think with that $60mil we dare other teams to take Randall Cobb away from us. Then we draft one of the studs in this draft. To be clear, I never said "don't sign him", I just said reality check the expectations.

Amazing how jets fans are allergic to good Wr's. Assuming Harvin gets cut we have NOTHING at WR outside of Decker. Kerley was moist garbage last year and ok at best before that.

You can get away with having scrubs at WR if you have Brady at Qb or Lynch at Rb. We have neither.

Seriously, do you really think Gailey would have anything to do with the numbers he would, or would not, put up?

Just because he coached him a few years ago?

Uh, Yeah! An OC has the ability to design plays or group specific plays a QB can audible out of.

Now whoever our QB is will have a say in how our receivers do, but Stevie is a quick bugger and always got separation(similar to Cobb & Edelman)

I'm still not comfortable answering questions from a Pats Fan on a Jets Board about Jet plans regarding Jet players or Jet potential FA!!

Why are you here???! Do the Pats message Boards suck that much? (Honest Question... Not meaning to be a prick)

Amazing how jets fans are allergic to good Wr's. Assuming Harvin gets cut we have NOTHING at WR outside of Decker. Kerley was moist garbage last year and ok at best before that.

You can get away with having scrubs at WR if you have Brady at Qb or Lynch at Rb. We have neither.

If I may make a slight variation of a Clinton, Carville phrase back in '92

It's about the (4th rd. Pick) Stupid!

If it wasn't for that 4th rd. pick I'd be "meh!" about keeping Harvin, considering our Cap situation and lack of receivers. I'd just sign another FA receiver to boot.

But we can cut Harvin, save the 4th, get a similar (but Healthier) WR in FA.

That's all.... nothing difficult to understand with that. Just my opininion.

Yes they do, too many homers for my liking.

Ok! Thanks for the honest answer. Now I understand your being here a little better.

Kind of like avoiding family gatherings to go to a party where only a couple of other guys like you, but they have better food and you actually like them better than your own family!

If it wasn't for that 4th rd. pick I'd be "meh!" about keeping Harvin, considering our Cap situation and lack of receivers. I'd just sign another FA receiver to boot.

Yeah that 4th rd pick is going to look great when Eric Decker is injured again and Matt Moore is throwing to Jeremy Kerley and trash.

If it wasn't for that 4th rd. pick I'd be "meh!" about keeping Harvin, considering our Cap situation and lack of receivers. I'd just sign another FA receiver to boot.

The factor in Havin's favor is that we should consider the amount of guaranteed money those other FA receivers are looking at.  It should be easy to get another WR at $10M per, but not at $10M guaranteed.  Having Harvin and drafting somebody means that if the pick turns out, they can cut Harvin with no lasting implications.  Decker only got $15M guaranteed, but I'm not sure these other guys won't see significantly more.  Considering the franchise tag is only $12.8M, Harvin is pretty overpaid.

Kerley and Stevie have almost identical stats the past 2 years, but you keep on chastising our fans.

Yeah that 4th rd pick is going to look great when Eric Decker is injured again and Matt Moore is throwing to Jeremy Kerley and trash.

Maybe that 4th gets us Petty so he can be throwing to Kerley.

Or maybe that 4th gets us a quality OL that protects Moore enough so he can hit Kerley for the TD

Your statement makes "ZERO" sense to me. What exactly is the point you're trying to make?

Kerley and Stevie have almost identical stats the past 2 years, but you keep on chastising our fans.

Using their stats the last two years to compare the players is fallacy.  Two completely different players, different skill sets, different abilities, two different teams with two very different offensive situations.  Where they do compare, like Kerley, Stevie was also being used as the #3 WR and probably some #4, but which also does not speak on behalf of their abilities.

Kerley is nothing more than a #3 WR, SJ has #2 WR ability.

Using their stats the last two years to compare the players is fallacy.  Two completely different players, different skill sets, different abilities, two different teams with two very different offensive situations.  Where they do compare, like Kerley, Stevie was also being used as the #3 WR and probably some #4, but which also does not speak on behalf of their abilities.

I'm not the one that compared him to Kerley. I was just pointing the stats out to the guy that made the comparison. You are wrong, the stats are an indicator of what both players have done with their "ability" in their respective situations the past 2 years, which is far more informative that just saying "Kerley is a this, Johnson has the ability to be a that". 

Maybe that 4th gets us Petty so he can be throwing to Kerley.

Or maybe that 4th gets us a quality OL that protects Moore enough so he can hit Kerley for the TD

Your statement makes "ZERO" sense to me. What exactly is the point you're trying to make?

The bold has become a pervasive theme over the past month or so here at JN.

Using their stats the last two years to compare the players is fallacy. Two completely different players, different skill sets, different abilities, two different teams with two very different offensive situations. Where they do compare, like Kerley, Stevie was also being used as the #3 WR and probably some #4, but which also does not speak on behalf of their abilities.

Stevie Johnson's fault he didn't put 3,000 yards and 20tds last 2 years with EJ Manuel and as the 4th receiver catching inaccurate crap from Kaepernick.

The last two years are a fallacy? It would make more sense to compare statistics from 2010?

Well you want us to sign a wife beater who last averaged 3 ypc and make him our featured back because he had a good season for your fantasy team

In 2011

Stevie Johnson's fault he didn't put 3,000 yards and 20tds last 2 years with EJ Manuel and as the 4th receiver catching inaccurate crap from Kaepernick.

Stevie Johnson's fault he didn't beat Anquan, Crabtree or Brandon Lloyd for a more prominent role in the offense. Kaep is better than Geno. 

I think the hard truth here is that you, like a few other people, seem ignorant to the indicators that he's just not as good as you all want him to be or insist he is.

He might be a good signing to make us stronger at the back-end of our WR depth chart, but stop over-selling it as though he's going to come here and explode. 

We'll you want us to sign a wife beater and make him our featured back because he had a good season for your fantasy team

In 2011

Sorry, I don't play fantasy.  I don't want Rice, and I don't know why he would have to be our feature back.  Are we cutting Ivory?  I don't particularly want to sign Rice.  I just think saying he is done is pretty simplistic.  Ooh, there is a rule that any RB that had an off season over the age of 25 and a bunch of carries is done.  I heard people saying the same about Foster last offseason

I'm not the one that compared him to Kerley. I was just pointing the stats out to the guy that made the comparison. You are wrong, the stats are an indicator of what both players have done with their "ability" in their respective situations the past 2 years, which is far more informative that just saying "Kerley is a this, Johnson has the ability to be a that". 

I'm not wrong, the stats don't tell the entire picture, as I eluded to.

Kerley is a 5'10 slot WR, he has good ability in the slot, not very much of a threat on the outside his height and lack of size hurts him.  Stevie Johnson is a player that can play outside, two very different sets of ability in both players.

Yes they do, too many homers for my liking.

Just like here.  So I ask you.. why not challenge those very Pats fans homers on the Pats fans site(s) the way you do to us here?  You could battle logic with them instead of us, and you would even do better since most Pats fans are incapable of logical, rational thought :winking0001: .  Or were you banned from Patsfans dot com and/or other Pats fans sites because of that charming personality of yours? 

See, I think you are a closet Jets fan.  That's ok.  A lot of old Pats fans like you, as well as Bills and perhaps even Dolphin fans, remember and appreciate the excitement of the AFL and the glory brought to it by Joe Namath and the NY Jets, thus giving the jets a warm spot in their hearts.  

Ok! Thanks for the honest answer. Now I understand your being here a little better.

Kind of like avoiding family gatherings to go to a party where only a couple of other guys like you, but they have better food and you actually like them better than your own family!

I post 20X more here than on patsfans patriot site. I also post on a general football forum with fans from all teams. While I disagree with Tex on the amount of homers as the reason, There are only so many takes on a subject, It seems like once they are ten takes on a thread, I am just saying "me too" .  You talk patriot football at the check out line, at work when family or friends come over.

Kaepernick was horrible last year. Manuel is even worse. Watch football gents

Worse than Geno, lol?

Stevie is mediocre. The fact that a receiver like him had two thousand yard seasons under Gailey should make us excited to see what Gailey can do when he actually has talented players to work with. It shouldn't make us go out and try to get the chicken sh*t he made into chicken salad so he can try it again.

I post 20X more here than on patsfans patriot site. I also post on a general football forum with fans from all teams. While I disagree with Tex on the amount of homers as the reason, There are only so many takes on a subject, It seems like once they are ten takes on a thread, I am just saying "me too" .  You talk patriot football at the check out line, at work when family or friends come over.

Yes but there is a big difference between the two of you.  You don't challenge the hopeful and positive comments that Jets fans posit unless they deserve to be challenged due to absurdity.  Ol' droopy eye challenges almost everything, whether warranted or not.  He's much more in troll mode than reasonable discussion mode.   This is why newbies get pissed at him and more long-term posters dismiss him and/or ignore him.  He'd be an interesting psychological study actually.  Really, what grown man would spend the lion's share of his life posting on message board just to rile up others?  What chemical in the brain induces that?  Does trolling help Tex secrete more serotonin?  Does his wasted time here help compensate for the other deficiencies in his life?  Really, someone should do a study.   :character0069:

I'm not wrong, the stats don't tell the entire picture, as I eluded to.

Kerley is a 5'10 slot WR, he has good ability in the slot, not very much of a threat on the outside his height and lack of size hurts him. Stevie Johnson is a player that can play outside, two very different sets of ability in both players.

Yeah but he's not a nice guy. At least not as nice as Rice.

Yes but there is a big difference between the two of you.  You don't challenge the hopeful and positive comments that Jets fans posit unless they deserve to be challenged due to absurdity.  Ol' droopy eye challenges almost everything, whether warranted or not.  He's much more in troll mode than reasonable discussion mode.   This is why newbies get pissed at him and more long-term posters dismiss him and/or ignore him.  He'd be an interesting psychological study actually.  Really, what grown man would spend the lion's share of his life posting on message board just to rile up others?  What chemical in the brain induces that?  Does trolling help Tex secrete more serotonin?  Does his wasted time here help compensate for the other deficiencies in his life?  Really, someone should do a study.   :character0069:

"Enquiring minds want to know"!!

If memory serves me, wasn't he one of the few WR's that gave Revis fits? 28 years old, played very well for Gailey, we need wr depth and we won't break the bank. Yea - let's rule him out.

Yup! Stevie Johnson and Dez were the only two wrs that gave Revis fits.

Archived