2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before this season, I was one of the biggest detractors of Collins.

Truth is, to this the first week in September, he is the NL Manager of the year. We will see if he holds that.

If he does not make playoffs this year, he is gone. As he should be.

I understand you are up by 3 and you want your best defensive alignment but you simply can't take out Conforto in the 7th inning.

He's been doing that move since they got Cespedes and it's always worked out well. It's a double win because you get Lagares' range and Cespedes' arm along the line. I'm a fan of it.

This was a big win as although the Mets were up 4 games heading into today momentum felt like it had swung to the NATS with all the Harvey stuff and Wright leaving a small village on base against the Marlins.

Robles was money and Cespedes continues to be off the charts. What's great about this team is EVERYONE chips in...Conforto, Johnson, Flores....hell even Tejada is now looking like a SS we can live with.

Agree with Rutgers in that a loss today may have been the start of a downward spiral for the team. It just had that feel to it.

I too think Collins should have "tried to" set the rotation up with an eye towards this series so that Niese was not involved but hard to do with the skipping starts here and there as well as the Natz injury.

If Harvey and deGrom do their jobs the next two nights the Mets should be in good shape.

This was a big win as although the Mets were up 4 games heading into today momentum felt like it had swung to the NATS with all the Harvey stuff and Wright leaving a small village on base against the Marlins.

Robles was money and Cespedes continues to be off the charts. What's great about this team is EVERYONE chips in...Conforto, Johnson, Flores....hell even Tejada is now looking like a SS we can live with.

Agree with Rutgers in that a loss today may have been the start of a downward spiral for the team. It just had that feel to it.

I too think Collins should have "tried to" set the rotation up with an eye towards this series so that Niese was not involved but hard to do with the skipping starts here and there as well as the Natz injury.

If Harvey and deGrom do their jobs the next two nights the Mets should be in good shape.

Thank god for Wright. I think they lose today without him. Maybe Uribe comes through in that spot too, but Wright is the one who led the charge today and he was the most vocal person in the locker room about not letting this Harvey bullsh*t distract the team, which it clearly was this week.

Aaaaaand a grand slam. Nice job shuffling around the rotation so that a guy who had given up 18 ER in his last 3 starts was leading off the most important series of the year and maybe the most important Mets series in almost a decade. Brilliant move on that one Terry.

Your man Niese sux. Just sayin.

WASHINGTON -- The New York Mets promoted right-hander Logan Verrett, infielder Dilson Herrera and catcher Johnny Monell after Triple-A Las Vegas' season ended Monday. That will bring the total to 37 players in the major league clubhouse.

Perhaps more notable was who did not get summoned.

Right-hander Dillon Gee, who went 8-3 with a 4.58 ERA in 14 starts with Las Vegas after clearing waivers and getting demoted, was not invited to return. Gee has the right to declare free agency after the regular season, well before he would be non-tendered by the Mets on Dec. 2 anyway.

Also passed over is reliever Vic Black, who once was projected to be a key cog out of the bullpen. Black cleared waivers and was removed from the 40-man roster last week. He will be a minor league free agent after the season unless the Mets unexpectedly reverse course and return him to the 40-man roster soon. Black posted a 7.09 ERA and had 26 walks (one intentional) in 26 2/3 innings with Las Vegas.

Verrett should be a key figure for the Mets in September. General manager Sandy Alderson confirmed Monday that the Mets will use a six-man rotation down the stretch even with Matt Harvey unavailable. So Verrett should get multiple starts. In two starts in September since getting sent to Las Vegas, Verrett allowed 12 runs on 19 hits and two walks in 11 2/3 innings.

Herrera hit .327 with 11 homers and 50 RBIs in 327 at-bats with Las Vegas. Monell's call-up was curious only because it gives the Mets four catchers.

The only players on the 40-man roster who did not get called up were right-handers Gabriel Ynoa and Akeel Morris and outfielder Darrell Ceciliani.

LOL. Serious question; Do we replace him in the rotation? With who? Verrett?

I think if it were earlier in the season, probably. But he's got 4-5 starts left, so you just sit back and hope that he nails 2 or 3 of them, keep Verrett ready to go on days he pitches, and then move him to the pen for the playoffs. End of the day he's their 5th pitcher, there aren't too many teams with a 5 that aren't going to give up at least 3-4 runs per. But he's been so abysmal his last four starts, not a good feeling at all. If he has another one I think you have to consider giving Matz his spot and under no circumstances should he be pitching against the Nats. 

I think if it were earlier in the season, probably. But he's got 4-5 starts left, so you just sit back and hope that he nails 2 or 3 of them, keep Verrett ready to go on days he pitches, and then move him to the pen for the playoffs. End of the day he's their 5th pitcher, there aren't too many teams with a 5 that aren't going to give up at least 3-4 runs per. But he's been so abysmal his last four starts, not a good feeling at all. If he has another one I think you have to consider giving Matz his spot and under no circumstances should he be pitching against the Nats. 

Well said and I concur. He needs to be on a very short leash at least.

Expect to see Verrett making starts to make a six man rotation to limit innings and not replace Niese

We'll see. Problem is there's a lot of baseball left. The Mets have to prioritize making the playoffs, not preserving pitching for them. The latter is certainly important but the team has not had a good start to September and you can't keep trotting out a guy with over a 10 ERA in his last 4 if it continues. You just can't.

We'll see. Problem is there's a lot of baseball left. The Mets have to prioritize making the playoffs, not preserving pitching for them. The latter is certainly important but the team has not had a good start to September. 

I did not say I agree with that but this is the spiel they are putting out there. After so many years of losing and blowing big leads late twice before that-you have to go for it now

I did not say I agree with that but this is the spiel they are putting out there. After so many years of losing and blowing big leads late twice before that-you have to go for it now

The good news is that this is the story of Niese's career. Great month, then a bad month, rinse repeat. There's just as much reason to believe he'll rebound by his next one or two starts as there is to think his season is done.

The good news is that this is the story of Niese's career. Great month, then a bad month, rinse repeat. There's just as much reason to believe he'll rebound by his next one or two starts as there is to think his season is done.

The better news is that Niese's problems have been 1 inning meltdowns. That is better than getting belted all the time.

In his interview after the game, he spoke about location and pitch selection

I love mets fans on WFAN acting like Dr Andrews doesn't know what he's talking about with Harvey's innings limit.  He's only one of the worlds best orthopedic surgeons but Joey in Queens knows more.

He is a great surgeon but show me other instances where he has delved into innings limits for a patient. WTF does he know about stressful innings versus non strenuous innings.... actual pitch counts versus innings etc??? Boras and Harvey are just using his name to back their stance on the matter.

The major gripe by fans and management was where was all this when Harvey was griping about being skipped or not allowed to finish games all season until now?

He is a great surgeon but show me other instances where he has delved into innings limits for a patient. WTF does he know about stressful innings versus non strenuous innings.... actual pitch counts versus innings etc??? Boras and Harvey are just using his name to back their stance on the matter.

The major gripe by fans and management was where was all this when Harvey was griping about being skipped or not allowed to finish games all season until now?

My gripe is, why did Boras take this public.

You have a problem with the Mets and how they are using your client, take it to the Mets. But, as a courtesy, consult with your client first.

this is surreal

Duda back tonight

New York Mets lineup
Tuesday, September 8
at Washington

Curtis Granderson - RF...
Yoenis Cespedes - CF
Daniel Murphy - 2B
David Wright - 3B
Lucas Duda - 1B
Travis d'Arnaud - C
Michael Conforto - LF
Wilmer Flores - SS
Matt Harvey - RHP

That's a pretty potent looking line-up there.

Ryan Zimmerman is out for the Nats tonight. That is big as he has been red hot.

Torres expected to miss a week or 2 with calf strain

Archived