2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also don't mean to be dick riding here but Conforto's numbers for August are ******* awesome. .277 with .553 slugging, 3 HRs, 8 RBIs, 7 BB and 14 runs. For a rookie. In the middle of a pennant race. If that's not indicative of a future everyday player I don't know what is. Still so early but he looks like a successor for Wright if I've ever seen one.

My favorite thing about him is the balls he hits seem to find some turbo boost during flight. That double last night at first seemed to be just a single but midway through flight seemed to increase in velocity enabling it to find the gap and become an extra base hit

We were talking about this a few days ago before the grown-up in the room (Faba) reprimanded us.

I say we make qualifying offer.

Is there a place for Daniel Murphy on the Mets in 2016?

Question AvatarDerek R: Is there a case to be made now for keeping Daniel Murphy, considering the outlook on David Wright? Maybe he can finally fill that jack-of-all-trades role and play different positions, spelling people at second, third and first base. I wouldn’t promise him a starting job, but they should be able to get him a decent amount of at-bats between DH andfilling in on the infield.

maggieMaggie Wiggin: The need for a serviceable backup for Wright will definitely be under consideration over the next offseason, but there are a lot of factors to unpack when it comes to where Murphy will be in 2016, such as what to do with Dilson Herrera.

Herrera has shown flashes of a major-league bat in two brief stints the last two seasons, but he’s just 21 and needs more time to develop his game in the minor leagues. If he’s ready to start Opening Day 2016, it’s clear that the everyday second base job is his. However, if he isn’t, that makes it more likely that Murphy would still have a place on the Mets.

The other player who will help determine Murphy’s fate is Wilmer Flores. If Herrera is not ready, and Flores is hitting well, he may be the Mets’ starting second baseman before Murphy, due to his low salary and potential for power. Alternatively, if Herrera is ready or if Murphy returns to play second base, then Flores would be an ideal utility infielder, who should be capable of filling in for Wright at third for longer stretches as needed.

Murphy may fit the mold of the utility infielder, but he’s poised to get a multi-year deal similar to what Omar Infante received in 2013 (four years, $30 million), but somewhat higher since he is a bit younger and has a slightly better bat. That’s a big commitment to make to a utility player in his 30s.

And, unless the Mets think they really need him full-time at second base for at least two more seasons, it doesn’t seem like there’s a good fit for him in Queens. As a utility player, Flores can play all of the same positions, plus shortstop in an emergency. And, while Wilmer’s offense is probably not as good overall as Murphy’s, the difference is not significant enough to warrant the major pay raise.

I wonder if the Mets will make Murphy a qualifying offer, which would mean a one-year deal at around $15 million, with the Mets getting a compensation pick in the draft if he turns it down? No player has ever accepted a qualifying offer, since they are generally extended to those who are in line for a longer deal, so there’s every chance Murphy would reject it and the Mets would get a pick.

If Murphy’s desire to stay in New York outweighs his desire for a long-term contract, he might actually take the qualifying offer, in which case the Mets have a short-term deal on a useful player at just a little over market value. If they have the budget flexibility to absorb that risk, it’s a move I’d like to see them make.

Neise sux. He's such a wuss.

If Neise the wuss can just keep it tied I'll be happy.

What season have you been watching? As a #4-5 starter Niese has been as good as you can ask for.  That is only the third start since May 30 that he's given up more than 3 runs. The guy has been a ******* bandit for the Mets this year.

What season have you been watching? As a #4-5 starter Niese has been as good as you can ask for.  That is only the third start since May 30 that he's given up more than 3 runs. The guy has been a ******* bandit for the Mets this year.

His mannerisms at times are not good on the mound. Start a team, you can have him. I'll start Matz in his place.

His mannerisms at times are not good on the mound. Start a team, you can have him. I'll start Matz in his place.

His mannerisms?

Of course Matz is a better option than Colon or Niese. Not sure what that has to do with anything. Niese has been fantastic as their fourth guy. Statistically he's been one of the top 30-35 pitchers in the NL and if that's not good enough for you because of his mannerisms I don't know what to tell you. By every measure the Mets have been very lucky to have him this year. 

His mannerisms?

Of course Matz is a better option than Colon or Niese. Not sure what that has to do with anything. Niese has been fantastic as their fourth guy. Statistically he's been one of the top 30-35 pitchers in the NL and if that's not good enough for you because of his mannerisms I don't know what to tell you. By every measure the Mets have been very lucky to have him this year. 

I know he's had a decent stretch this year, but I've never been a fan. I think if he wasn't a lefty he would have dealt long ago.

Open link for all the great photos I could not get to upload! 

http://nypost.com/2015/08/26/mets-mania-on-rise-as-fans-invade-road-ballparks/

Mets fans are finally showing up, and people are getting annoyed

Modal Trigger

1/6

New York Mets v Philadelphia Phillies
In the front rows in Philadelphia, Aug. 25

Getty Images

The Mets are in first place, and their loyal fans — invigorated by a scintillating summer pennant race — are all over the place.

Waking up after a long slumber through below-.500 August dog days (or coming out of the woodwork to hitch a ride on the bandwagon), Mets fans have made their boisterous presence felt and heard over the past two weeks with stops in Baltimore, Philadelphia — and even Denver. Herded by the fan group known as “The 7 Line Army,” even the manager is noticing the difference.

“Our fans are incredible,” Terry Collins said Aug. 18 in Baltimore. “The 7 Line was here tonight, they’re unbelievable when they show. You’ve got to like it. If you’re a player, gosh almighty, how can you feel tired or fatigued when you have that atmosphere going? So it’s really cool.”

Wednesday night’s game in Philadelphia will be the third of a four-game set against the rival Phillies, who are in last place in the NL East and are 25th in average attendance with 25,010. That left plenty of room in the stands for an Amtrak-carried influx of blue-and-orange, and they were given something to cheer about as their Mets won 16-7 and 6-5.

After a home run from David Wright and a double by Michael Cuddyer in the second inning on Monday, Phillies radio announcer Larry Andersen said, “I’ll take the Nationals fans over the Mets fans.” When asked why, Andersen answered: “They’re just obnoxious.”

It was also noticed the previous weekend in Denver, where the 7 Line helped to buy up two sections of the outfield at Coors Field and make a ruckus, chanting “Let’s Go Mets!” even before the first pitch was thrown.

“Well, New Yorkers are louder than everybody else,” said Rockies manager Walt Weiss, who is from Tuxedo, NY. “So 100 New Yorkers are the equivalent to about 10,000 Mets fans. And that’s coming from a New Yorker.”

The Mets return home Friday to open a six-game homestand against the Red Sox and Phillies, before embarking on a 10-game road trip through Miami (hello, South Florida transplants!), Washington and Atlanta.

The big test of the Mets’ traveling fan contingent will come during that Sept. 7-9 series in a playoff-like atmosphere against the Nationals in the capital.

Got to watch last night's game on MLB Network.  Haven't been able to catch a full game in a while.  Man I miss having SNY.  Great, great game to watch too.  Where does this play rank under Mets best 2015 defensive plays?  All-time defensive plays?

I've been streaming games this year.  It's great!

Not sure where it ranks all time but it is with out a doubt, the best defensive play in Murphy's history.

Yeah, I've been streaming games also, can't get SNY here in PA. great game & awesome defensive play by Murphy and Torres. I'm loving all the Met fans at these other teams ballparks looking forward to the Red Sox series and seeing Harvey on 10 days rest.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Harvey on 10 days rest- will he be sharp or will it have an effect?

Location, Location, Location.... the only thing that worries me.

I've seen pitcher's on extended rest have difficulty locating their pitches.  Too much movement on their balls.... spare me the comments please ;)

Location, Location, Location.... the only thing that worries me.

I've seen pitcher's on extended rest have difficulty locating their pitches.  Too much movement on their balls.... spare me the comments please ;)

You are absolutely right to be worried about this. Hopefully, he got more than his share of side sessions.

Got to watch last night's game on MLB Network.  Haven't been able to catch a full game in a while.  Man I miss having SNY.  Great, great game to watch too.  Where does this play rank under Mets best 2015 defensive plays?  All-time defensive plays?

The MLB streaming package is very cheap. If you have a buddy that's a student or military they give huge discounts, but at this point you can probably subscribe to the rest of the season for 30 bucks or so without it.

You are absolutely right to be worried about this. Hopefully, he got more than his share of side sessions.

I think it's one of those things we need to lay off on. Even if Harvey struggles today, if he pitches well in the postseason (if we make it) and ends the year healthy then this will have been a good precautionary move in hindsight. The timing works out well with it too, if it's going to take him a start to get back into things then it's best to have it happen at home against an AL team.

The MLB streaming package is very cheap. If you have a buddy that's a student or military they give huge discounts, but at this point you can probably subscribe to the rest of the season for 30 bucks or so without it.

I paid some guy on EBAY $30 in June and it was worth it. I turn on SNY here in FL afterwards for post game.

Archived