2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand what you're getting at here. I don't give a sh*t about Kelly Johnson as a person or a player. The numbers don't like Johnson, and excepting this road trip, whenever Collins has leaned on him to be anything more than spot player he's been a disaster. Sorry, but that's what has happened. Why this is such a regularly important thing to you I have no idea, but them's the results. Either way I'm not going to spend every page debating you on this. It's Kelly ******* Johnson dude. Who gives a sh*t?

Johnson is the Mets best fastball hitter from the left side. There is a spot for him on this team. The way he turned Strasburg around explains what he can do to a fastball.

I'll tell you the one tragic part of Cespedes' September, and it's that Travis d'Arnaud's play down the stretch isn't getting noticed enough. The guy's numbers on the month are insane and he's been probably the best offensive catcher in baseball over the past month or so.

Very True. Its amazing how he has turned himself around after that stint in the minors last year. We just need him to stay healthy.

You da real MVP Curtis.

How Curtis Granderson is expanding the scope of baseball

He has been easy to overlook because of all the talent that has entered the room these past few weeks and months. David Wright and Travis d’Arnaud returned, to great fanfare. Yoenis Cespedes and Tyler Clippard arrived to great acclaim.

Yet it is Curtis Granderson who has been the steady, regular influence in the Mets’ lineup, at the top of the batting order. The one guy who was there in the heady peaks of April, the numbing days of early summer, and, lately, the resurgent excitement of a pennant-race September.

Quietly, Granderson is putting together a season worthy of the NL’s Comeback Player of the Year trophy, hitting .259 with 23 home runs and 61 RBIs through Friday, playing terrific defense, and giving the Mets a genuine presence in the lineup in almost every game they play.

“A very gratifying year for me so far,” Granderson said not long ago. “But not a satisfying one. Not yet. There are still things I — that we — want to accomplish.”

It’s a similar task for Granderson off the field, as well, for the project closest to his heart. Two years ago, Granderson donated $5 million of his own money to build the Curtis Granderson Stadium complex on the campus of his alma mater, the University of Illinois at Chicago.

There are enough facilities — two indoor diamonds for small kids, a major-league-sized stadium, two fully-lit intramural fields and a softball facility — that 10,000 inner-city kids use the stadium year-round. And only partly to try to emulate Granderson, himself an inner-city kid who loved basketball but used baseball to chase his dreams.

“We don’t necessarily believe we’re going to find the next great baseball players by doing this, and that’s really not what this is about anyway,” Granderson says. “There are so many other things that bringing kids into baseball can accomplish. And those are things that we’ve already seen results for.”

Chief among these is bringing kids from Chicago’s vastly divergent neighborhoods together — “Black kids playing against Latin kids, Asian kids playing against white kids,” he says — who would never otherwise encounter each other.

“At one of my camps over the All-Star break, I had a kid come up to me and say, ‘That’s the first time I’ve ever seen a white kid before,’ ” Granderson says, “and he was 9 years old. In a city that’s still as segregated as Chicago is, it gives kids a chance to broaden what they know about.”

And also another advantage.

“A lot of these kids, the first time they walk onto the fields there, it’s the first time they’ve ever stepped on a college campus,” he says. “And you see kids who talk to each other and say, ‘Wow, this is what college looks like? This might be for me.’ Baseball can open so many doors — socially, scholastically — and that’s what we want to do. We want to open as many doors as possible, to as many kids as possible.”

Granderson’s great hope is that in the next few years he can convince MLB to create an Urban Youth Academy in Chicago, and to that end he has talked with the commissioner’s office, the Players Association, the White Sox and the Cubs. Los Angeles and Atlanta have such programs up and running already, and Granderson is hoping before long his hometown will be city No. 3.

And if that happens?

“Then anything is possible,” he says. “Kids will be excited about the game. They’ll want to pass that excitement on to friends and family, maybe get a great education because of the game. There’s so many possibilities.”

Very True. Its amazing how he has turned himself around after that stint in the minors last year. We just need him to stay healthy.

I'm trying to be optimistic about him because his back and foot haven't been an issue for a while and it looks like they did a good job letting them heal. This year I think the glass label was unfair because it's not like his injuries were muscular or degenerative stuff. He had two freak injuries happen because of play, getting hit on the pinky and then on that weird tag that's only a thing now because of Posey.

Rewind back to August 1st.

The Mets are neck and neck for the division, are coming off the Gomez fallout, just got Cespedes, and are 6-8 since the AS break.

Someone sits you down and tells you not to worry, they're about to become the best offensive team in baseball and are about to rip off a 28-11 stretch, which will include 2 sweeps of the Nats.

If you say that you wouldn't have punched that guy in the dick, you are a liar.

I saw the Murphy shot and I was shocked. What a great day eh?

I paid less attention today for obvious reasons..wasn't overly concerned about the 7-4 score since we won the first 3 and rested half the team today…put on sny to set the dvr for Jets post game and saw Murph….just an unreal, ridiculous 6 weeks…this is the best run we've had since 86…better team than 2000 or 2006…we have just as good a shot as anyone including St Louis to win the whole thing..imagine?…its nuts.

I paid less attention today for obvious reasons..wasn't overly concerned about the 7-4 score since we won the first 3 and rested half the team today…put on sny to set the dvr for Jets post game and saw Murph….just an unreal, ridiculous 6 weeks…this is the best run we've had since 86…better team than 2000 or 2006…we have just as good a shot as anyone including St Louis to win the whole thing..imagine?…its nuts.

I'm enjoying the ride.

I turned the radio on in the car at the same time and figured no biggie...we'll lose 7-4 but still have a huge lead over the Nationals. The radio call of Murphy's HR was insane. 

There is no automatic out in this line-up.

I turned the radio on in the car at the same time and figured no biggie...we'll lose 7-4 but still have a huge lead over the Nationals. The radio call of Murphy's HR was insane. 

There is no automatic out in this line-up.

what a run..because the Braves are atrocious and it was opening day NFL this win will fly under the radar but man…just a ridiculous win,.

I understand home games mean less in baseball than any other sport but I would love to get that extra game at Citi against the Dodgers.

I don't know. I think it's the combination of the size of the park and the energy at Citi, but they've just been so unstoppable at home. If we have to see Greinke and Kershaw twice I sure as hell want that happening at Citi.

I'm excited to see Verrett tomorrow. If he's legit, and I think he is, that will give us one of the deepest bullpens in the playoffs with Colon and Niese in there too.

I don't know. I think it's the combination of the size of the park and the energy at Citi, but they've just been so unstoppable at home. If we have to see Greinke and Kershaw twice I sure as hell want that happening at Citi.

I'm excited to see Verrett tomorrow. If he's legit, and I think he is, that will give us one of the deepest bullpens in the playoffs with Colon and Niese in there too.

Where did you read Colon and Neise were going to bullpen?

Lagares is a good call. I hope Uribe at 2nd works out. I thought for sure he'd go with Tejada and Wilmer in the middle since it's Verrett. Ballsy lineup but he's definitely going for it offensively tonight. Interesting that he gave Grandy the night off. I think he should have saved that for Conley since he sucks, but I guess you have to get Cudduyer some ABs as soon as possible.

Juan Lagares, CF

David Wright, 3B

Yoenis Cespedes, LF

Juan Uribe, 2B

Travis d'Arnaud, C

Michael Cuddyer, RF

Lucas Duda, 1B

Wilmer Flores, SS

Logan Verrett, P

Cespedes is mashing.  This is some run.  Have we ever seen a hitter this hot?  I love him, 4real. 

In the meantime, d'Arnaud has been on fire too.  

Love seeing Wright get a clutch RBI.

My Mets boner is strong to quite strong. 

Have never seen a Mets player, this hot, particularly with power over this long of a period. 

Piazza, Gilkey, Brooks, Olerud, Hernandez, Carter all had great hot streaks, but not with power like this.

Have never seen a Mets player, this hot, particularly with power over this long of a period. 

Piazza, Gilkey, Brooks, Olerud, Hernandez, Carter all had great hot streaks, but not with power like this.

Ugh.  I shouldn't be putting this into the universe but you just scared me into thinking PED's.

Yeah, I've never seen this before.  It's pretty amazing.  Just hope he can keep it up through the postseason (assuming we go :)

Ugh.  I shouldn't be putting this into the universe but you just scared me into thinking PED's.

He's just one of those natural athletes... I'm sure MLB has had an eye on him due to these amazing #'s. If I were the owner of the Nats, Dodgers, Pirates and Cards, I'd probably check in with the Commissioner and ask if he's been tested recently? They'd love to see him suspended for the playoffs.

I think he's good though. He'd be an idiot to use them being this close to FA.

I think he's good though. He'd be an idiot to use them being this close to FA.

Wouldn't being in a contract year make a player MORE likely to use in order to get a fat contract?

I should digress though.  Bad mojo bringing this up in the first place.  I'm just snakebitten from years of rooting for bad teams.

Looking at Familia's run too, man. Arguable that he's been just as key as Cespedes. Rivera-risqué. That splitter is inhittable when he's hitting it.

^

ERA in Aug = .59

ERA for Sept = 0

Tied for most saves on the month so far, and the last month and a half has pushed him up to third in the league. 4 saves is a lot to pick up at this point in the season but if the Mets continue this ridiculous run he could certainly Melancon, and Familia's ERA is a full half a point below his anyways.

Bizarre seeing the Mets having an elite closer. They tried for so long handing out big contracts to guys like KRod and Wagner but they never came through like this before, and certainly nobody home grown in the recent past.

^

ERA in Aug = .59

ERA for Sept = 0

Tied for most saves on the month so far, and the last month and a half has pushed him up to third in the league. 4 saves is a lot to pick up at this point in the season but if the Mets continue this ridiculous run he could certainly Melancon, and Familia's ERA is a full half a point below his anyways.

Bizarre seeing the Mets having an elite closer. They tried for so long handing out big contracts to guys like KRod and Wagner but they never came through like this before, and certainly nobody home grown in the recent past.

He is Randy Myers of '88 without the walks. 

Wouldn't being in a contract year make a player MORE likely to use in order to get a fat contract?

I should digress though.  Bad mojo bringing this up in the first place.  I'm just snakebitten from years of rooting for bad teams.

If he never put up good #'s perhaps a player would "Juice" to get that big contract, but Cespedes would have gotten a big contract anyway... it's just that this power surge probably added a few extra years and an extra $40-$60 mil to his contract.

He was probably a 5 yr./ $80-$100 mil. player.... now he's a 7 yr./ $140--$160 million player

If he never put up good #'s perhaps a player would "Juice" to get that big contract, but Cespedes would have gotten a big contract anyway... it's just that this power surge probably added a few extra years and an extra $40-$60 mil to his contract.

He was probably a 5 yr./ $80-$100 mil. player.... now he's a 7 yr./ $140--$160 million player

I agree. The run he's on is clearly an outlier but certainly not outside of his ability. His pitch selection has been the difference, and that's historically been his weakness. It's not like he wasn't capable of hitting bombs before this.

Archived