2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

I think it's one of those things we need to lay off on. Even if Harvey struggles today, if he pitches well in the postseason (if we make it) and ends the year healthy then this will have been a good precautionary move in hindsight. The timing works out well with it too, if it's going to take him a start to get back into things then it's best to have it happen at home against an AL team.

I have no problem with the decision. Actually Verrett pitched as well as we could have expected Harvey to in that turn of the rotation.

My worry for this game only, and it is a trifling worry, is that he will be too strong and not able to control pitches.

Minor worry in the big scheme of things.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with the decision. Actually Verrett pitched as well as we could have expected Harvey to in that turn of the rotation.

My worry for this game only, and it is a trifling worry, is that he will be too strong and not able to control pitches.

Minor worry in the big scheme of things.

Agreed. Verrett crushing his spot-start made it look like a brilliant move. I was having bad flashbacks to resting Pedro in '07 leading up to that.

Yoenis Cespedes is also contributing in a big way, batting .361 with six homers and 15 RBI in the past seven contests. He played 51 games for the Red Sox (58-69) last year, batting .269 with five homers and 33 RBI before being dealt to Detroit in the offseason.

Think our boy wants to show the Sox what they're missing out on?? :angry:

I think it's time to close the door on the Kelly Johnson experiment.

He hit a BIG HR last night. 

Can't bury the vets like Cuddyer and Johnson in favor of Conforto.  The Mets have received big hits and will need more from them. 

I think Flores will end up being the best of the young hitters on the team.

He hit a BIG HR last night. 

Can't bury the vets like Cuddyer and Johnson in favor of Conforto.  The Mets have received big hits and will need more from them. 

He's been far and away the weakest offensive link on the team since the turnaround. Conforto has nothing to do with Johnson; Flores, Murphy, Granderson and Cudduyer do. Johnson's glove is sh*t when he plays right and as a second baseman he isn't good enough to skip over Flores or Murphy for.  Perhaps that changes and that would be great, but he's hit .222 since the Mets acquired him, and a homer every now and then certainly doesn't warrant shifting things around to get him some time.

He's been far and away the weakest offensive link on the team since the turnaround. Conforto has nothing to do with Johnson; Flores, Murphy, Granderson and Cudduyer do. Johnson's glove is sh*t when he plays right and as a second baseman he isn't good enough to skip over Flores or Murphy for.  Perhaps that changes and that would be great, but he's hit .222 since the Mets acquired him, and a homer every now and then certainly doesn't warrant shifting things around to get him some time.

Shhhh! Don't Jinx the MoJo.:ph34r:

I was right about Harvey having a tough time controlling the strike zone. 103 pitches in 6 innings is too much. He needs to be better at getting quick outs. Too many wasted pitches... he needs to go 8 innings now that we're in pennant chase and get us all the way to Familia for the closeout. 

This was a great point made by sg3 who was at the game last night:
Unfortunately, Terry plays by the Larussa bible of modern bad baseball managing and he had to be removed at just over 100 pitches despite just having had 10 or 11 days rest

Verrett came in and after a couple of pitches and bombs the Sox led 

The Mets tied the game but Clippard could only pitch the 8th and Familia the 9th because of Larusss rule 2, late inning guys can only pitch one inning

So now in came Carlos Torres, who is apparently exempt from the Larussa Rules since he pitched multiple innings yesterday 

Should have let Harvey go another inning or 2... especially since our middle bullpen needed a night off.

God Murphy's glove is such a liability. I know that was a tough ball, and so was the one he missed last night at third, but come on. You can't be an infielder and just never be able to make a great play.

I'm not saying that Murphy's been great in the field since this post so ipso facto I'm responsible for the turnaround, but I am.

I did see that he didn't even budge on the inside the part HR. That can cost you a million or so $ come contract time. This is the reason I don't think Sandy offers a Max deal. Not running out ground balls has a negative impact on the young players.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I did see that he didn't even budge on the inside the part HR. That can cost you a million or so $ come contract time. This is the reason I don't think Sandy offers a Max deal. Not running out ground balls has a negative impact on the young players.

To be fair on that one, there is a chance he just saw that it hit above the line and figured it wasn't worth it. Lagares did the same thing with the ball right in front of him because that shouldn't have been ruled inside the park, it was a home run no question. But still, when the entire team is scrambling like mad men just in case, you can't just stand there. You just can't.

Collins has done some weird sh*t this series too, the guy really does some things that make you scratch your head sometimes.

Met bats have also cooled down. Chasing a lot of bad pitches or taking a lot of strikes looking. Seems as if Conforto is always behind in the count 0-2; 1-2. Needs to be more aggressive while the others should not be trying to hit it 800 ft. all the time

Left Thor in for one too many guys. I didn't mind leaving him in there. He pitched well enough and he wasn't that high enough over 100 pitches to where he shouldn't have been able to close out 7.

But Mookie Betts was hot this series and he went yard on Robles yesterday, Collins has Reed coming in tomorrow and Clippard warmed up so he can afford to push him a little harder, so what does Collins do? Brings in Robles, who of course gives up a run and now he has to bring in Clippard anyways. 

Mismanaged series. From top to bottom, a completely mismanaged series. And this sh*t with Mets pitchers not even TRYING to hold runners on base has to stop.

Huge bounce-back win. Familia getting out of that inning was some seriously impressive sh*t.

big win, we really needed it, I agree with what you said up top however…Collins was a disaster this series, I mean just scary bad.

Have to keep in mind that this has been against the two worst teams in the NL. Cudduyer's clearly better when not playing every day.

I wouldn't mess with a good thing. Granderson is the engine that drives the offense and Duda has been a monster since the break. Can't sit either for Cudduyer if they're good to go. The good thing is that Cudduyer finally not being Mr. Useless means they don't have to rush Duda back. They need him for that stretch against Washington and Atlanta, he's been crushing both those clubs this year.

Glad to see Cuddyer is changing your mind.

Archived