Jets interested in Cecil Shorts

nj meadowlands

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but think it's interesting and merits its own thread.

I really liked Cecil Shorts in JAX as a zoomy slot receiver.  Not sure if he would be redundant to Kerley, but it couldn't hurt having all 4 of them.  Marshall and Decker on outside, Shorts and Kerley wreaking havoc underneath.  Would depend on the contract, I think.

Can you guys imagine what practice is going to look like? A real damn NFL game, Ivory, Marshall, Decker, Kerley, Shorts, Amaro VS. Revis, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist and Pryor. Then Carpenter, Mangold, Ferguson, Colon, Giacomini VS Coples, Wilkerson, Sheldon, (Victor Beasley ), Snacks or Ellis?.....DAMN!!!!!

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but think it's interesting and merits its own thread.

I really liked Cecil Shorts in JAX as a zoomy slot receiver.  Not sure if he would be redundant to Kerley, but it couldn't hurt having all 4 of them.  Marshall and Decker on outside, Shorts and Kerley wreaking havoc underneath.  Would depend on the contract, I think.

Dont get me wrong I love Kerley, but Shorts MUCH better as pure slot WR with YAC capability. Kerley solid, catches ball etc, but isnt a YAC machine like a Great Slot WR should be in NFL.. This would give us great depth if Injury bug hits since Kerley can play BOTH the slot or wideout.

He's got a lot of talent.  Often he was the best/only "weapon" down in JAX and still putting up good numbers.  The problem with him is health more than anything else -- seemed to get hurt often the past two years.

As a #3 option, though? Not bad at all.  This interest just begs the question of how are we going to spread the touches around?  Gotta figure Marshall and Decker get 10-12 targets a game, a handful to Amaro/Powell/Kerley, and then Shorts and/or a rookie WR.  

Just interesting.

That would be some 4wr set right here. Id rather draft a young stud though but if we are planning pass rusher and oline help in the first 2 rounds then absolutely sign shorts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't found fault with any moves made by Big Mac yet. Love what he has done, but they need to think about Mo Wilkerson. You don't want to have him hit FA next season because it will only cost you more. You can franchise him of course, but that means top 5 money. I think the Jets are going pass rusher at six, and Bryce Petty as QB of the future in round two. OL in the third, LB in the fourth. That's all the picks they have since fifth, sixth and seventh are traded away.

In the modern NFL, you cannot have enough CB's, WR's or QB's.

Dont get me wrong I love Kerley, but Shorts MUCH better as pure slot WR with YAC capability. Kerley solid, catches ball etc, but isnt a YAC machine like a Great Slot WR should be in NFL.. This would give us great depth if Injury bug hits since Kerley can play BOTH the slot or wideout.

The Pats have NOTHING BUT slot receivers and a big, fast TE and they seem to be doing fine. You no longer stretch the field vertically only, you stretch it horizontally as well and that is what good slot guys do. Get Shorts if you can. Maccagnan for Executive of the Year for the job he has done. If he nails it in the draft the Jets will be back baby. Can't wait.

He's got a lot of talent.  Often he was the best/only "weapon" down in JAX and still putting up good numbers.  The problem with him is health more than anything else -- seemed to get hurt often the past two years.

As a #3 option, though? Not bad at all.  This interest just begs the question of how are we going to spread the touches around?  Gotta figure Marshall and Decker get 10-12 targets a game, a handful to Amaro/Powell/Kerley, and then Shorts and/or a rookie WR.  

Just interesting.

Spread it according to how much they make.  :winking0001:

The Pats have NOTHING BUT slot receivers and a big, fast TE and they seem to be doing fine. You no longer stretch the field vertically only, you stretch it horizontally as well and that is what good slot guys do. Get Shorts if you can. Maccagnan for Executive of the Year for the job he has done. If he nails it in the draft the Jets will be back baby. Can't wait.

and Amaro is gonna have a HUGE year as marshall/Decker/Kerley/??Shorts?? garner CB/safety coverage and Jace is sitting there on virtually every play with single LB coverage, LOL.. Like taking candy from a baby, especially if Fitz is playing (or Mariota).

Spread it according to how much they make.  :winking0001:

Eh...personally I think Marshall-Decker-Amaro. If we get a WR in the 2nd/3rd...I'd put him next.  It really all depends on what direction they go with Shorts as he certainly adds a new dynamic.  I'm (obviously) biased, but I'd rather get a guy like Hardy and groom him than an injury-prone guy like Shorts.  I don't think the drop off to Shorts is so big to give up the extra pay, age, and injury risk.

But again...I'm biased :P

Yeah but they have perhaps the best QB of all time throwing the ball.

Keep in mind that before Gronk was 100% healthy (through the KC game) the talking heads were talking about him being done.  A good number of us included.  Gronk makes that offense go.  Vereen was a HUGE piece as well, which they let walk -- just look at his targets in the Super Bowl.

I'm not implying they'll be bad offensively, they won't.  Edelman has filled Welker's shoes admirably and if they could get anything out of a guy like Dobson (I'm not even sure what his issue was...injuries maybe?) they will be extremely formidable.  But...if Gronk goes down they are not the same team at all.  Especially with the safety blanket in Vereen now gone.

Wow- these moves really show just how bare Mac believes the cupboard was in Jetland. Our roster was void of talent. No ones job is safe.

Kerleys decent but he's had just a handful of very good plays over the years. I'm for bringing Shorts in, let them all compete, nothing is given or entitled.

We need an OLB- the Mariota question outstanding, it seems OLB at #6

We need a speedy RB

Duh, we need a QB, - if we did somehow get Brees or anybody decent we could really, really compete but if not this position will continue to bottleneck our real potential

But we also need another receiver - if Marsh or Decker get hurt then we're very thin, sorta like what happened at CB last year when Mill and McD went down. That's why I like Shorts. It'll be interesting to see how Shaq Evans plays too. But the days of NEEDING guys like Enunwa to develop are over.

Like who? Signing this guy to a show-me contract would prohibit what exactly?

Mo, Sheldon, Davis, Harrison.

And Im no cap expert but you would think this much spending could come back to haunt you, no?

Can you give me an example of a team that is spending like this in FA where it actually paid off?

And Im no cap expert but you would think this much spending could come back to haunt you, no?

Can you give me an example of a team that is spending like this in FA where it actually paid off?

All of those guys are currently under contracts, right?

The cap goes up again next year, yes?

Except for goodwill, there is no point in locking these guys up right now. I think the Jets set a pretty decent precedent by overpaying Harris that they'll be loyal.

I'd prefer Stevie Johnson.  He has a rapport with Gailey and Fitz and has had a number of good years.  He's only 28 and is coming off a disappointing year in SF so shouldn't command a big contract.  In fact we might be able to get him on the cheap on a 1 year prove it type deal as opposed to Shorts who is likely looking for a bigger commitment.

If we were to draft Cooper and Shaq impresses then a multi year contract with Shorts seems unnecessary.

Im not a huge fan of all this spending, but I think the thinking behind it is that the cap will rise significantly in the near future due to the new tv contracts. Either way, Skrine won't see any of his year 3 money. Probably the same with Cro while Revis will be gone after his 3rd yr.

All of those guys are currently under contracts, right?

The cap goes up again next year, yes?

Except for goodwill, there is no point in locking these guys up right now. I think the Jets set a pretty decent precedent by overpaying Harris that they'll be loyal.

Ok, cool...like I said, I know nothing about the cap but seems like we might be in trouble 2-3 years down the road.

So take the cap equation out, when has a massive FA signing frenzy actually paid off for a team? Can you provide an example? 

Ok, cool...like I said, I know nothing about the cap but seems like we might be in trouble 2-3 years down the road.

So take the cap equation out, when has a massive FA signing frenzy actually paid off for a team? Can you provide an example?

Almost all of these contracts had little to no guaranteed money after 2 years (still don't know about Cro). Even Revis. They front loaded everything, it seems, to take advantage of the huge cap we have now while not sacrificing the future.

Honestly, I don't know. What I do know is that this team now is better than it was at the end of 2014 and they had to spend the money. I think they've done so wisely, as well.

How much of what they've spent did they HAVE to spend? I'm not sure they would have been able to sit on their hands again based on cap floor rules. As has been stated, most of the contracts have been front loaded and none are kicking the can down the road, as far as I know. 

Honestly, I don't know. What I do know is that this team now is better than it was at the end of 2014 and they had to spend the money. I think they've done so wisely, as well.

How much of what they've spent did they HAVE to spend? I'm not sure they would have been able to sit on their hands again based on cap floor rules. As has been stated, most of the contracts have been front loaded and none are kicking the can down the road, as far as I know. 

Almost all of these contracts had little to no guaranteed money after 2 years (still don't know about Cro). Even Revis. They front loaded everything, it seems, to take advantage of the huge cap we have now while not sacrificing the future.

I hope you're right guys.  I know nothing about how the cap works, so I'll take everyone's word for it.  If everything is front loaded and doesnt screw them in a few years, great!  That awesome work by Mac.

Still doesnt ease my concerns about how historically this type of activity in FA has never actually worked for a team.  But, at the end of they day, the roster is much stronger this year, so that's a good thing.  Go Jets!

Archived