3.26 Chris Conley Georgia WR

4.23 Za'Darius Smith Kentucky DE

4.26 Jamison Crowder Duke WR

4.37 James Sample Louisville SS

5.22 Anthony Chickillo Miami (Fla.) DE

5.35 Justin Cox Mississippi State CB

5.40 Akeem Hunt Purdue RB

6.28 Tyeler Davison Fresno State DT

I would think Cox would be off their draft board. I though I read that Biscotti will not draft domestic violence offenders.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Kevin Johnson, CB

2. Preston Smith, DE

3. Chris Conley, WR

4. Za'Darius Smith, DE

4. Jamison Crowder, WR

4. James Sample, SS

5. Anthony Chickillo, DE

5. Justin Cox, CB/FS

5. Akeem Hunt, RB

6. Tyeler Davison, DT

I like your start better than you do, the first five picks. DraftScout has Johnson as the second best CB right now. Collins probably would have been ideal, but their DBs in general seem to suck. The DEs are necessary, and both might go higher in the real draft. There's probably an NFL WR between Conley and Crowder...hopefully at least a kick returner. Maybe a little too soon on both.

Kinda meh on Hunt because he seems thin in the legs...Davison is a nice looking late round NT pickup.

I wish I had tried a trade down in Rd.3 but time would not allow.

1.Cooper WR

2. Harold OLB

3. David Johnson RB

4. Derron Smith FS

Solid draft, yet I hope MacDaddy can do what I was unable to do.... parlay a 1st or 2nd day pick into 2 extra picks without a serious talent drop-off would be incredible! If the QB's and top WR's are gone, Getting into the early teens would still allow for a Dupree, Ray @ OLB or Collins, Peat, Flowers @ OL, Parker or Strong @WR or Gurley @ RB. Whatever extra picks we get could help us with a QB, ILB or WR

Once my co-commissioners make their morning picks for the last pair of comp picks in round 6, we will be starting round 7.  I was hoping to get the entire draft done in 2 weeks time, but that would mean we complete round 7 by the end of tonight.  That ain't happening with our average of 16.6 picks per day.  Projecting from that average, we should be wrapping this thing up on Saturday midday at the latest.  Would be nice to get it done by the end of the day Friday. 

So let's try to move it along today.  This has been a fun draft and I have learned a lot about these mid-late round prospects.  It will make the bottom half of the actual draft so much more interesting to follow.

Thanks in advance to everyone for participating and sharing thoughts in the discussion thread, but particularly to Lith and NYJetsvets91, without whom this would not have gone well.  For future reference, a tag-team approach among three people to moderating future mock drafts is highly advisable because there is almost always someone available to move the draft along.  

On to round 7.  Go Jets!

Houston's pick is in... pm sent to lith.

Geathers is just a great value there at the end of round 6.  I expect him to be drafted before his projected 5th round next week.  Had I known he was going to drop to neary round 7, I would have passed on Tartt for the Steelers in rd 3 (a bit of a reach there perhaps) and grabbed Geathers in round 5 or 6.   Very nice.

Geathers is just a great value there at the end of round 6.  I expect him to be drafted before his projected 5th round next week.  Had I known he was going to drop to neary round 7, I would have passed on Tartt for the Steelers in rd 3 (a bit of a reach there perhaps) and grabbed Geathers in round 5 or 6.   Very nice.

I agree on Geathers.  IT was killing me that he was still there and even though KC does not have a need at Safety, I would have grabbed him.  Like I said in the selection thread, I always like to take a guy from Georgia in one of these mocks and because Geathers was gone - I don't feel like Ray Drew was a reach at the end of 6.  He was one of those blue collar guys at Georgia who occupies blockers and does the dirty work up front to allow the LBs to make plays behind him.  Does not get a lot of attention, but could develop into a rotational player, possibly a starter down the road.  I think he would fit well in KC -- possible replacement for our old friend Mike DeVito someday.

I agree on Geathers.  IT was killing me that he was still there and even though KC does not have a need at Safety, I would have grabbed him.  Like I said in the selection thread, I always like to take a guy from Georgia in one of these mocks and because Geathers was gone - I don't feel like Ray Drew was a reach at the end of 6.  He was one of those blue collar guys at Georgia who occupies blockers and does the dirty work up front to allow the LBs to make plays behind him.  Does not get a lot of attention, but could develop into a rotational player, possibly a starter down the road.  I think he would fit well in KC -- possible replacement for our old friend Mike DeVito someday.

How do you think I feel?  I took Sample way too early, primarily based on the fact that Louisville has pumped out some decent safeties lately and his name's similarity to super bowl era Jet Johnny Sample.  I could have taken Max Valles!  Just what I needed, another DE/OLB!  I was actually deciding between Geathers and Sample.  I probably would have taken Tyler Kroft, but like I said I didn't want to duplicate my 1.0 Steelers draft too much.  I planned to take Will Tye later on, but I don't have any 7ths and he probably isn't getting drafted here anyway.

How do you think I feel?  I took Sample way too early, primarily based on the fact that Louisville has pumped out some decent safeties lately and his name's similarity to super bowl era Jet Johnny Sample.  I could have taken Max Valles!  Just what I needed, another DE/OLB!  I was actually deciding between Geathers and Sample.  I probably would have taken Tyler Kroft, but like I said I didn't want to duplicate my 1.0 Steelers draft too much.  I planned to take Will Tye later on, but I don't have any 7ths and he probably isn't getting drafted here anyway.

That's interesting...  I took Kroft for the Steelers in this draft as well.  Great prospect for Heath Miller to groom as his replacement.  He even looks like Miller.  

That's interesting...  I took Kroft for the Steelers in this draft as well.  Great prospect for Heath Miller to groom as his replacement.  He even looks like Miller.

What is even more interesting is that today is the 10th anniversary of the day the Jets should have drafted Heath Miller instead of that ill-conceived trade for Doug Jolley.  Miller was on the board when we would have picked, but the Jets decided to trade for Jolley instead.  That same year, we took Kicker Mike Nugent in the 2nd round.

We have had some pretty bad draft days over the years.

Jaguars draft:

1.20 (acquired for 1.03 - Mariota) Andrus Peat Stanford OT

2.04 Jay Ajayi Boise State RB

2.20 (acquired for 1.03 - Mariota) Gerod Holliman Louisville FS

3.03 Nate Orchard Utah DE

4.04 Jordan Hicks Texas OLB

5.03 Justin Coleman Tennessee CB

5.09 (acquired for 1.03 - Mariota) Jean Sifrin Massachusetts TE

6.04 Christian Covington Rice DT

7.03 Greg Mancz Toledo C

So Jacksonville traded 1.03 (Mariota) for Peat, Holliman and Sifrin.  

Jaguars draft:

1.20 (acquired for 1.03 - Mariota) Andrus Peat Stanford OT

2.04 Jay Ajayi Boise State RB

2.20 (acquired for 1.03 - Mariota) Gerod Holliman Louisville FS

3.03 Nate Orchard Utah DE

4.04 Jordan Hicks Texas OLB

5.03 Justin Coleman Tennessee CB

5.09 (acquired for 1.03 - Mariota) Jean Sifrin Massachusetts TE

6.04 Christian Covington Rice DT

7.03 Greg Mancz Toledo C

So Jacksonville traded 1.03 (Mariota) for Peat, Holliman and Sifrin.  

Good draft... I think Holliman was a bit of a reach and hopefully Ajay knee is not going to be an issue. I like the Orchard and Hicks pick

Oakland is done:

1.4  Dante Fowler OLB, Florida

1.30 Breshad Perriman  WR, UCF

3.4 Ameer Abdullah, RB Nebraska

5.4 Charles Gaines, CB Louisville

6.3 Kyle Emanuel, OLB, North Dakota State

7.4 Chaz Green, OT, Florida

Nice job, Beerfish -- bit of a Florida theme -- 2 Gators and Perriman from UCF.

Oakland is done:

Love the first 3 picks there. Not familiar with the last two.

Turns out the Chargers don't have a seventh round pick.

The draft:

17: Dupree - Best pass rushing and 3-4 OLB prospect in the draft, just over Beasley.

49: DJ Humphries - By far the best OT left at the time, and a guy who will go much higher on draft day.

82: Iko - Preseason #1 CB was here due to blown ACL. Closest thing to an overdraft here...maybe Diggs.

117: David Cobb - Should get work right away and much better than the 117th best player in this draft.

153: Stefon Diggs - Depth WR and kick returner, more a slot guy than the usual deep guy.

192: Kristjan Soloki - Is a 3-4 round guy, possibly higher, that I got in the 6th. Yay.

It's a good thing I didn't have a seventh since I was going to take the BC C that Hess took in the fif. This is probably the best draft here so....what do I win??!?!?!

Thanks to everyone who made this possible! Let's do it again next time! I'll be the Jets, Packers, and Patriots! Called it!

The draft:

17: Dupree - Best pass rushing and 3-4 OLB prospect in the draft, just over Beasley.

49: DJ Humphries - By far the best OT left at the time, and a guy who will go much higher on draft day.

82: Iko - Preseason #1 CB was here due to blown ACL. Closest thing to an overdraft here...maybe Diggs.

117: David Cobb - Should get work right away and much better than the 117th best player in this draft.

153: Stefon Diggs - Depth WR and kick returner, more a slot guy than the usual deep guy.

192: Kristjan Soloki - Is a 3-4 round guy, possibly higher, that I got in the 6th. Yay.

It's a good thing I didn't have a seventh since I was going to take the BC C that Hess took in the fif. This is probably the best draft here so....what do I win??!?!?!

Thanks to everyone who made this possible! Let's do it again next time! I'll be the Jets, Packers, and Patriots! Called it!

You are a carbon copy of Rex!! RexRyan.jpg

The draft:

This is really an excellent draft.  Nicely done.  

The draft:

Not thrilled with Ifo, but other than that, I really like your 1st 3rd and 4th. Dupree is solid value and may go a bit higher than 17.  Humphries may sneak into the end of the first round and I really like David Cobb as good value mid 4.  If Diggs is the guy I am thinking of, he is coming off of a major injury, the talent is there, but I am meh on him due to the injury.  Not sure who else was on the board, but I might have gone in a different direction there.

Really good draft.  I think the Chargers woudl be very happy with this haul. Nicely done.

Not thrilled with Ifo, but other than that, I really like your 1st 3rd and 4th. Dupree is solid value and may go a bit higher than 17.  Humphries may sneak into the end of the first round and I really like David Cobb as good value mid 4.  If Diggs is the guy I am thinking of, he is coming off of a major injury, the talent is there, but I am meh on him due to the injury.  Not sure who else was on the board, but I might have gone in a different direction there.

Really good draft.  I think the Chargers woudl be very happy with this haul. Nicely done.

I like Ifo in the 3rd or 4th.  Were it not for that injury, he'd be right up there at or near the 1st round.

I like Ifo in the 3rd or 4th.  Were it not for that injury, he'd be right up there at or near the 1st round.

I am not killing the pick, just offering my opinion -- I would like him better in the 4th than the 3rd.  His size (plus the injury) are what concern me about Ifo -- I would expect he will be a slot corner in the NFL and he is likely to be a liability in run support.  Can't kill the pick in the 3rd - just probably would not have pulled the trigger on him there.  I know that he was projected as a 1st rounder last year when he decided to stay at Oregon -- but I doubt he actually would have gone there.  I just don't think he has the size to play on the outside in the NFL.  I have heard some rumblings of teams thinking about him at FS rather than CB.

St. Louis is done.

Rams' draft:

1.10 Brandon Scherff Iowa OT

2.09 Devin Smith Ohio State WR

3.08 Alex Carter Stanford CB

4.20 John Miller Louisville OG

6.39 Chris Hackett TCU FS

7.10 Antwan Goodley Baylor WR

I really like the Rannell Hall pick for Minnesota.  Was thinking about him when I had to pick fot he Skins last night.  Possession receiver, good size, good route runner and a guy who can help out in the return game.  If you get a WR in the 7th  who can contribute in 4 or 5 wide packages and help out on specials, in my opinion, that is a really good 7th rounder.

Oakland is done:

I had a plan for Oakland, they are actually in a similar boat to the Jets as far as wants/needs go.  I wanted to get a pass rusher and a WR in the 1st two rounds if possible.  Most mocks have them taking Cooper or White at 4 but I decided to do it differently.

Round 1: I would have had a decision my hands at 4 if Williams had fallen to me.  I think I would have taken him but was content with Fowler at 4.

Round 2: I wanted Perriman or Agholor for my 2nd round pick but thought there was potential for teams at the end of round 1 and early in round 2 to take WR's so I traded back up to get Perriman.

Round 3: My hopes of a near perfect 1st three picks were scuttled when I tried but failed to trade up to get Denzel Perryman.  I had an offer on the table with the Dallas gm but he wanted to get the CB he had targeted so I missed out on my chance of screwing Lith over by swooping in to take his pick.  I was pretty happy with my fall back plan of Abdullah though.  They have Latavious Murray who they like but his success was such a short window I wanted to bolster RB.

Round 5: I wanted to add a CB so I simply went with who I thought was the best guy on the board at the time.  Was happy to get Gaines in the 5th.

Round 6: Patman scewed me over by taking the guy I wanted in the 6th one pick before me.  (That being Jake Ryan)  I was just signing off for the day so message DCat with my pick and at the very last second before hitting submit I figured I better list a 2nd player just in case.  That player was Emanuel, small school LB who might be able to play inside but was a pass rushing olb.  He had 19.5 sacks last year and 10 sacks vs top 25 teams.

Round 7: I wanted an olineman here and waffled back and forth between a few different guys Green has the build and agility to play in the league but needs some development.

Overall I was happy with the way things turned out for the Raiders.

Miami Dolphins:

Well Tanny is working for them so this ended up being a real Tanny draft.

Round 1: I traded up in the 1st to #7 to get White, that was my main focus, getting one of the top 2 or 3 Wr's.  I like Parker almost as much as the top two so if they had been gone I would have picked Parker.

Round 4: I really like this pick, perhaps my overall fav of all the picks I made for both teams.  Langford doesn't get talked about near as much as many other RBs but he was very productive the last two years rushing wise and TD wise for MSU and is a complete back.  Catch, block, run.

Round 5: Jarvis Harrison:  The Phins still need more work on the oline.   Another oline player with the word 'potential' attached to him.

Round 6: Imoan Claiborne:  I wanted to take a corner or safety here.  Another small school guy who is projected to be a slot corner in the NFL.

I got the big WR I wanted and was happy with Langford.  As with any trade ups only time will tell if it was a good thing to do or not.

Cleveland is done

Browns' Draft (Ghost started as GM with the first 2 picks and Hey Mangold finished with the next 7.)

1.12 DeVante Parker Louisville WR

1.19 Todd Gurley Georgia RB

2.11 Owamagbe Odighizuwa UCLA DE

2.32 Laken Tomlinson Duke OG

4.12 Nick O'Leary Florida State TE

5.11 Ladarius Gunter Miami (Fla.) CB

6.13 Ben Heeney Kansas ILB

6.26 Shane Carden East Carolina QB

7.12 Tyler Varga Yale FB

I really like Cleveland's draft here. One could argue that some of the picks were a little early (Parker at 12, Gurley at 19 Tomlinson at the bottom of rd 2), but if those are your guys, you don't quibble over a few slots.  I love the first 3 picks.  I also really like Tomlinson at the bottom of rd 2 and I think O'Leary will be a sleeper solid pick at TE.  

Cleveland is done

Browns' Draft (Ghost started as GM with the first 2 picks and Hey Mangold finished with the next 7.)

1.12 DeVante Parker Louisville WR

1.19 Todd Gurley Georgia RB

2.11 Owamagbe Odighizuwa UCLA DE

2.32 Laken Tomlinson Duke OG

4.12 Nick O'Leary Florida State TE

5.11 Ladarius Gunter Miami (Fla.) CB

6.13 Ben Heeney Kansas ILB

6.26 Shane Carden East Carolina QB

7.12 Tyler Varga Yale FB

I really like Cleveland's draft here. One could argue that some of the picks were a little early (Parker at 12, Gurley at 19 Tomlinson at the bottom of rd 2), but if those are your guys, you don't quibble over a few slots.  I love the first 3 picks.  I also really like Tomlinson at the bottom of rd 2 and I think O'Leary will be a sleeper solid pick at TE.  

I think the best part of Cleveland's draft is that we allowed Mangold to swap out the Brett Hundley pick that we made for them before HeyMangold took over.  Double O was a better alternative for them right there.

Agreed Cleveland fills a lot of holes with that draft.  Most likely 4 starters and contributors with their 1st 4 picks.  IMO they will be stupid to trade up and get a Qb in this draft.

The issue with a trade up scenario for anybody, is that you cannot afford to be wrong.  If there is a guy there that you want to go up and get, and you are right about him, nobody will complain about the price if you get a true franchise QB for the next decade.  But if you swing and miss, boy does it set your franchise back for several years -- just look at Washington.  It is the ultimate high risk / high reward move.

The issue with a trade up scenario for anybody, is that you cannot afford to be wrong.  If there is a guy there that you want to go up and get, and you are right about him, nobody will complain about the price if you get a true franchise QB for the next decade.  But if you swing and miss, boy does it set your franchise back for several years -- just look at Washington.  It is the ultimate high risk / high reward move.

KRL on Mac in the Pre draft phone call:  

They'll probably post it later on the Jet website but he's impeccable with the

media.  In his 30 minutes he gave you a ton of info on his philosophy and

the process.  Basically don't expect a trade up look for a trade down and

need is very low on his list when evaluating players.  If you factor in need

"too early" you'll "skew the process" (his words)

I agree with KRL.  What a breath of fresh air after the last guy.  I also thought his comments on edge rushers was interesting.  You need to create a pipeline of edge guys -- takes time to convert from DE in college to 3-4 OLB at the next level..  He specifically referenced Pittsburgh as a team always does a good job of having young developing edge rushers in the pipeline.

New Orleans is finished.

Saints draft:

1.13 Cameron Erving Florida State OL

1.31 Shaq Thompson Washington OLB

2.12 Phillip Dorsett Miami (Fla.) WR

3.11 Xavier Cooper Washington State DT

3.14 Jeff Heuerman Ohio State TE

5.12 Lorenzo Doss Tulane CB

5.18 Ty Montgomery Stanford WR

6.11 Taylor Kelly Arizona State QB

7.13 Terrance Magee LSU RB

Archived