Top 5 gone; no edge rusher/trade back allowed, what then at 6?

LIJetsFan

The more tape I watch the less impressed I I get with these edge rushers.  So, here is an exercise for you.  Both QB's are gone.  Both WR's are gone.  Williams is gone.  You are not allowed to take an edge rusher.  You are not allowed to trade back.  Who's the pick at 6?

Frankly I'm stumped.  As much as I hate it, it really appears every other player is a reach.  Must we really go for these less than stellar edge rushers?  Is Scherff the only legit option?

I cannot imagine that both qb's and both wr's are taken in the top 5 which means we would almost have a pick of whatever pass rusher we want.  

If we are so not impressed with edge rushers then I pick Amari Cooper. Cooper is probably the most ready to play player in the draft and his preparation for the game is nearly unmatched.

**** that...I'd still take Collins, Shelton, Parker over a guard.  I'd even consider Trae Wiliams before I waste my time drafting a Guard at 6.  

Ok thanks, I just took a closer look at Parker and I could def live with him in my scenario.

(as for the rest of you guy, hey, I don't mind a little ribbing :))

Wait... Why aren't we allowed to take a pass rusher? If the board fell this way I would be happy because we could pick Fowler.

I know I'm in the minority but I just don't see him as as much as a difference maker as one of the top three WR's.  ie Fowler doesn't set the edge well vs the run.  None of these edge rushers do.  Further our D is much better than our O and so all other things being equal ( and they are I think talent wise) WR will have more impact on our team going forward.

Ahhh the JETS can just avoid making a pick that is a reach and keep dropping down in the round voluntarily till they get to the 20th spot and then select the BAP at that position. 

With a team voluntarily dropping down teams will scramble to put in their picks thus ending the primetime broadcast almost 2 hours early and allowing the nation football crazy nerds an extra 2 hours of family time.

Plus Goodell pulls out all his hair in frustration because of all the missed commercial opportunities.

Win, win  all around.

I know I'm in the minority but I just don't see him as as much as a difference maker as one of the top three WR's. ie Fowler doesn't set the edge well vs the run. None of these edge rushers do. Further our D is much better than our O and so all other things being equal ( and they are I think talent wise) WR will have more impact on our team going forward.

You have to admit though, if we can select a premier pass rusher on the edge who can put pressure on the QB down after down our defense could be elite.

I cannot imagine that both qb's and both wr's are taken in the top 5 which means we would almost have a pick of whatever pass rusher we want.

If we are so not impressed with edge rushers then I pick Amari Cooper. Cooper is probably the most ready to play player in the draft and his preparation for the game is nearly unmatched.

Yeah I like Cooper a lot too and would be more than happy with him.

If we have to make a choice in the OPs scenario, then isn't Fowler the best edge rusher in the draft?

Edit: forgot we can't take a pass rusher either.....I don't watch enough college ball to make a selection with all the top guys off the board. I would like a beast ILBer or a tackle that can play right then swing over to left once Brick retires....not sure if there is anyone that meets those criteria and value at 6 though.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Exactly.  If you don't like the pass rushers and the top 5 are gone then almost every other player is a reach at 6.  So far Parker at WR seems the best value pick.  

I'm sure Mac and Bowles either like one of the edge guys or that one of the top fives falls.  It just strikes me that if we want to go O and the top two WR's and QB's are gone then there is nothing left to do but reach.  Just making a statement about this years draft....

The more tape I watch the less impressed I I get with these edge rushers.  So, here is an exercise for you.  Both QB's are gone.  Both WR's are gone.  Williams is gone.  You are not allowed to take an edge rusher.  You are not allowed to trade back.  Who's the pick at 6?

Frankly I'm stumped.  As much as I hate it, it really appears every other player is a reach.  Must we really go for these less than stellar edge rushers?  Is Scherff the only legit option?

Erick Flowers. He can play both LT/RT making him versatile. He should be able to start immediately pushing Giacomini inside to further sure up the Guard spot. Then next year we can either restructure or cut D'brick and we have our LT already on the squad with a year experience under his belt.

Archived