Would Raiders make a good trade partner with Jets ? ? ?

kelly

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported earlier Tuesday that at least two teams have called theNew York Jets about a potential trade for defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson.

Schefter did not name the teams and it is unknown if the Oakland Raiders were one of those teams. But, in my opinion, the Raiders should be one of those teams.

Wilkerson is a standout defensive end and he is in his prime. Defensive end is one of Oakland’s primary need areas. Also, Wilkerson is in search of a new contract. The Raiders, who have about $20 million in salary-cap space, could easily take on a new deal for Wilkerson, who is staying away from the Jets this spring in search of a new deal.

Also, one of the Raiders' front office honchos is Joey Clinksdale. He was a key member of the Jets’ front office when Wilkerson was drafted in 2011.

A potential trade could be difficult, though, because of compensation. The Raiders have the No. 4 overall pick. That could be considered too high for Wilkerson. Yet, their second-round pick, No. 35, could be too low. But at any rate, it would be worth the Raiders’ time to investigate the possibility if they haven’t already.

Meanwhile, here are two other names that surfaced Tuesday that may behoove Oakland to consider: D.J. Swearinger and Quanterus Smith. The NFL Network reported Tuesday that Houston is offering Swearinger in a trade. The Raiders have been looking for safeties all offseason.

Denver cut Smith. He has raw pass-rush potential but he the 2013 draft pick hasn’t played because of injuries. New Oakland coach Jack Del Rio was in Denver with Smith and knows him well. If Smith is healthy, I could see the Raiders potentially taking a flyer on Smith.

http://espn.go.com/blog/oakland-raiders/post/_/id/10758/would-raiders-make-a-good-trade-partner-with-jets

If you can get the #4 pick out of Oakland, I say go ahead and do it, especially if you don't think you can get Wilkerson resigned.

The other route would be to see if you can get the Redskins (who are in desperate need of DL help) to bid against them and maybe up the price a bit.

If you can get the #4 pick out of Oakland, I say go ahead and do it, especially if you don't think you can get Wilkerson resigned.

The other route would be to see if you can get the Redskins (who are in desperate need of DL help) to bid against them and maybe up the price a bit.

I'm assuming they're planning on resigning him... You don't let a player like Wilkerson walk, and if you do you're foolish.

If he wants Watt/Suh type of money, then they'd be foolish to resign him.  He's a good player, but he's certainly not on that level.  

It would be one thing if he was the only good DL we have, but that's probably the area of strength on the team, plus they still need to set aside a good chunk of money for Richardson when the time comes for that as well.  We have a surplus of talent on the DL and there are teams like the Redskins who have absolutely nothing there that would probably overpay for a talent like Wilkerson.  That's something that they have to at least investigate.

I wouldn't trade Wilkerson for only a 1st round pick even if it was #4... It'd have to be a Revis type deal, or better. Wilkerson is the cornerstone of this defense, and I doubt we'll trade him unless we get an offer we can't refuse.

Everyone has a price. Live long enough and this realization will make sense.

We traded a 2x All-Pro , 3x ProBowl and eventual Top Ten All-time Sack leader DE for just the #29 overall pick.

And Mo, who has NO CREDENTIALS OR MERITS that equate to John Abraham will net us the #4 overall? Ok

We traded a 2x All-Pro , 3x ProBowl and eventual Top Ten All-time Sack leader DE for just the #29 overall pick.

And Mo, who has NO CREDENTIALS OR MERITS that equate to John Abraham will net us the #4 overall? Ok

Agree. Perhaps we swap firsts and take their second and give up wilk

No doubt Muhammad Wilkerson is a very talented player, but I wouldn't trade for him. He doesn't produce enough sacks to warrant paying him the big money he thinks he worth. ( not to mention the high pick they would have to give up to acquire) I rather look to acquire Vin Curry in a trade. ( will come much cheaper - doesn't fit the Eagles scheme, but is very good fit for 4-3 defenses).

I think there is a good chance Leonard Williams will be sitting there at four.

No doubt Muhammad Wilkerson is a very talented player, but I wouldn't trade for him. He doesn't produce enough sacks to warrant paying him the big money he thinks he worth. ( not to mention the high pick they would have to give up to acquire) I rather look to acquire Vin Curry in a trade. ( will come much cheaper - doesn't fit the Eagles scheme, but is very good fit for 4-3 defenses).

I think there is a good chance Leonard Williams will be sitting there at four.

Agree, Williams should be your guy. 

So the New York Jets received calls from at least two teams interested in trading for Muhammad Wilkerson, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported Tuesday. This was to be expected. After all, Wilkerson, with only one year left on his contract, wants a new deal and is skipping voluntary workouts until he gets one. Other teams smell blood in the water, so they're circling like sharks.

I can tell you this :

The Jets aren't looking to trade their star defensive end -- nor should they. It would be a panic move by a rookie general manager if the Jets trade Wilkerson before, during or after the draft, which runs from Thursday to Saturday. And I think Mike Maccagnan is smart enough to know the situation.

There's one caveat: If USC defensive tackle Leonard Williams unexpectedly tumbles to the Jets, picking sixth, it could prompt them to consider a Wilkerson deal. Williams, regarded by many as the best player in the draft, has a chance to be a better version of Wilkerson. As the sixth pick, he'd make about $4.5 million a year. Wilkerson is thought to be seeking about $14 million annually. They could save a fortune by taking Williams and flipping Wilkerson for a first-round pick, which would allow them to address a pressing need. It wouldn't surprise me if Williams is the No. 1 player on the Jets' draft board. Perhaps not coincidentally, Williams made a late pre-draft visit to the Jets. Hmm.

In any other scenario, it wouldn't make sense to deal Wilkerson. For a quarterback, you ask    ? I don't think the Jets value Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota as top-five prospects, so it would make no sense to include Wilkerson in a package to move up for one of the top two quarterbacks in the draft.The important thing to remember here is that Wilkerson is signed through 2015 for $6.96 million. If the two sides can't agree to a new deal, the Jets can use the franchise tag next year. Plenty of teams do it with their star players; it's not the end of the world.

Maccagnan's predecessor, John Idzik, began his regime in 2013 by trading the franchise's top homegrown player, Darrelle Revis, because of an ugly contract situation. It set a bad tone that never really disappeared.The Jets are trying to build a championship defense for their defensive-minded coach, Todd Bowles, and it would be foolish to trade one of their three most important assets. Wilkerson, Revis and Sheldon Richardson are the three best players on the team. You don't break up the band before the first concert.

Unless another great musician shows up unexpectedly.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/50949/a-muhammad-wilkerson-trade-would-make-no-sense-for-jets

Bowles doesn’t rule out a Wilkerson trade

The Jets reportedly are getting calls about a trade for disgruntled defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson.  New Jets coach Todd Bowles hasn’t ruled out a possible trade of the 2011 first-round pick who’s entering a contract year.“Mo is on our team now,” Bowles told reporters on Tuesday.  “That’s all I can go by.”Bowles added that he hasn’t heard that teams have called about Wilkerson, but the first-year head coach opted not to declare that Wilkerson would continue to be on the team.“I didn’t say it was or wasn’t,” Bowles said about whether a trade is possible.  “Around draft time you hear a lot of different rumors that go on and I try not to feed into them.”

Of course, saying anything other than“Wilkerson will not be traded”feeds into the rumors of a possible trade.Wilkerson currently is absent from offseason workouts as he waits for a new contract.“Mo is on our team and we go from there,” Bowles said.  “I don’t really need or look at who thinks what’s going to happen or what’s trying to happen.  I know Mo is on our team.”

The real question is whether Mo will still be on the team next week at this time.  If he’s going to be traded, the best opportunity arrives on Thursday night.  Especially if one of the teams picking above the Jets would be interested in a package that includes Wilkerson and New York’s No. 6 overall pick in the draft — and if the Jets would be interested in moving up.

> http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/29/bowles-doesnt-rule-out-a-wilkerson-trade/

I wouldn't trade Wilkerson for only a 1st round pick even if it was #4... It'd have to be a Revis type deal, or better. Wilkerson is the cornerstone of this defense, and I doubt we'll trade him unless we get an offer we can't refuse.

Revis is the cornerstone of this defense, and Sheldon Richardson is our 2nd best defender. Wilk is great, but he's our 3rd best defender.

If only there was a Doug Jolley available so that we could fleece the other team and get that impact pass catching TE.

don't forget we did get mike nugent in the 2005 draft..

:wild:

In fairness, Abraham was pushing thirty and was a less versatile player.  Mo is 25 and has several prime years ahead of him.  But I don't think that Mo would get us the #4 either.

In fairness, Abraham was pushing thirty and was a less versatile player. Mo is 25 and has several prime years ahead of him. But I don't think that Mo would get us the #4 either.

Abe was 27 at the time.

27 is usually considered the Prime for an athlete both physically, but MORESO Mentally.

And as you can see, his production ONLY IMPROVED as he got older

It was a known fact that Revis was the best at his position in the NFL and played at a more important skillset position. Wilkerson isnt even a probowler, let alone the "cornerstone" or a Revis Island equivalent. 

If we can get the 4th pick in the draft for Mo Wilkerson and Amari Cooper is still on the board you take that pick without hesitation. Then you deal that 6th for better position to get your Tackle replacements. 

Archived