What is Devin Smith's NFL comparison, and floor/ceiling?

Jetsfan80

This has to be the single,stupidest post I have read on JN and that is truly saying something. 

said the same things about stephen hill how did that work out? bet you were one of the guys cheering izadicks plan too

smith =round two pick lam jones a first rounder-both known for breakaway speed and low volume of catches with big play ability-only difference jones was a legit burner

we drafted a guy that has a history of not catching lots of passed-only deep patterns and a history of being covered by safeties 

he will fail just like hill and jones

I think our gm made some great moves just not this one

said the same things about stephen hill how did that work out? bet you were one of the guys cheering izadicks plan too

Watch this guy play and you will realize pulling all these names out of your ass, doesn't make it so.  This guy was a stud, and was underutilized by Ohio State and wasn't asked to run detailed route trees.  The routes he was asked to run he did so very well.  He is one of the best, if not the best deep ball trackers in college football and will have NO PROBLEM tracking the football in the NFL.  He has terrific hands and will go up and take the ball away from defenders.   Again, watch some film and get a freaking clue.   Stephen Hill and Johnny Lam Jones couldn't catch a cold.   

Watch this guy play and you will realize pulling all these names out of your ass, doesn't make it so.  This guy was a stud, and was underutilized by Ohio State and wasn't asked to run detailed route trees.  The routes he was asked to run he did so very well.  He is one of the best, if not the best deep ball trackers in college football and will have NO PROBLEM tracking the football in the NFL.  He has terrific hands and will go up and take the ball away from defenders.   Again, watch some film and get a freaking clue.   Stephen Hill and Johnny Lam Jones couldn't catch a cold.   

:sign0098:

Haha.  This about sums it up nicely.  However, Urban Meyer called him the best deep threat he's EVER had, so that gives me high hopes.

Urban has never said anything bad about a player, ever.  He's like Rex the way he blows his players.   And **** him, okay? 

He's nothing like Hill but the rest are fair.

Yeah but still, you hope he's not, right? :)

Urban has never said anything bad about a player, ever. He's like Rex the way he blows his players. And **** him, okay?

Yeah but still, you hope he's not, right? :)

There's no hope, he's a completely different type of player. I'm not saying he'll be good just he plays a different style.

Relevant excerpt:

6. Deep thoughts on Mr. Smith: The Jets are convinced that Ohio State wide receiver Devin Smith, picked in the second round, can be more than a vertical target. Another team gathering pre-draft intel on Smith called the Ohio State football office to find out why Smith wasn't more of a factor on underneath and intermediate passes.

The word that came back was that he "doesn't have the zone instincts to be a good route runner," a source said. That might explain why 54 percent of Smith's targets last season came on throws of 20-plus yards. The source added, "He's a one-trick pony ... but he's pretty good at that one trick."

Smith tricked his way to a 28-yard average last season. The good thing about the Jets' situation is that Marshall and Eric Decker can handle the underneath stuff. Smith will have a year to polish the rest of his game while contributing what he does best ... go deep.

Link:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51141/sunday-notes-rookie-gm-mike-maccagnan-handles-draft-like-a-grizzled-vet

It appears he can win jump balls and a tracks the ball like Steve Smith Sr or to a lesser extent Torrey Smith. He seems legit to me and should transition nicely, especially as he builds his route running.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Relevant excerpt:

6. Deep thoughts on Mr. Smith: The Jets are convinced that Ohio State wide receiver Devin Smith, picked in the second round, can be more than a vertical target. Another team gathering pre-draft intel on Smith called the Ohio State football office to find out why Smith wasn't more of a factor on underneath and intermediate passes.

The word that came back was that he "doesn't have the zone instincts to be a good route runner," a source said. That might explain why 54 percent of Smith's targets last season came on throws of 20-plus yards. The source added, "He's a one-trick pony ... but he's pretty good at that one trick."

Smith tricked his way to a 28-yard average last season. The good thing about the Jets' situation is that Marshall and Eric Decker can handle the underneath stuff. Smith will have a year to polish the rest of his game while contributing what he does best ... go deep.

Link:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51141/sunday-notes-rookie-gm-mike-maccagnan-handles-draft-like-a-grizzled-vet

That's pretty disappointing. Hopefully he has the potential to learn other routes, cause otherwise for a high 2nd round pick you want more than a 1 trick pony receiver.

Relevant excerpt:

Link:

This is my fear and why I favored probably 3 other WR's at that pick.  The good thing is, Kerley is the perfect underneath option.  And hopefully Amaro too.  So really, he should be able to come into the league and just take the top off.  Which he certainly can do.  Hopefully that's not all he can do in the long run but for the immediate, its a pretty nice option to have out there.

I only watched a few highlights, but he did seem like a body/cradle catcher more than a snatcher and despite the Desean Jackson comparisons I didn't see him doing much after the catch.  In particular he wasn't taking many screens or short routes and taking off.  Even big bodied guys like White were taking those inside screens and blowing by people.  At least these highlights show him attacking the ball a bit more and he does seem to come up with a decent number of contested catches.  When we were doing the mock draft, I watched a 4 minute clip and decided to wait for Conley.  The clips I watched, the first thing you wondered was why such a fast guy was always being contested, but it seemed the QBs were incredibly late in throwing him the ball.

That's pretty disappointing. Hopefully he has the potential to learn other routes, cause otherwise for a high 2nd round pick you want more than a 1 trick pony receiver.

Yup yup. He is still a developmental project and not a complete NFL WR. But he could take the top off in college and most likely will be able to do the same in the NFL. So he can still contribute while he learns other tricks of the trade.

Wesley Walker had a very productive career being a "1 trick pony". Also a 2nd round pick

If what is said is true let's see what a NFL Coach can do.

Archived