ESPN: Wilkerson focuses contract situation

Patriot Killa

I don't think he will hold out, he likes being a Jet even with half the fan base yelling to trade him before Leonard Williams has even taken a snap in an NFL game. Hope we can get something done with him before the season starts the guy loves the sport, loves the team and has played well for us.

I don't think he will hold out, he likes being a Jet even with half the fan base yelling to trade him before Leonard Williams has even taken a snap in an NFL game. Hope we can get something done with him before the season starts the guy loves the sport, loves the team and has played well for us.

Agreed! We haven't nailed a lot of draft picks over the years.... Mo's a home grown local talent, great character and leadership. Would love to see it happen. He plays out this year and probably has a great season with all the Defensive talent added. Franchise him next year and agree to a new contract in 2016 with a huge SB. Moves most of his money to 2017 and beyond.

Muhammad Wilkerson addresses contract situation with Jets

R Cimini

LINDEN, N.J. -- New York Jets defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, who skipped the voluntary portion of the offseason in the midst of a contract dispute, is poised to return to the team for its mandatory minicamp next week.

Wilkerson, addressing his contract situation for the first time since December, said Friday night that he will make a decision over the weekend on whether to attend the minicamp. Nevertheless, there are strong indications he will be there.

"It's a business; I guess it takes a long time," Wilkerson said of a long-term contract extension. "This is new to me. But, hopefully, something will get done soon."

Talks are moving slowly.

The Jets say they want to lock up Wilkerson, but the two sides have talked only sporadically. Wilkerson, entering the final year of his contract, is due to make $6.97 million -- the amount of his fifth-year option.

"I just thought, you work hard on the field and do what you have to do on and off the field, and that's how you're supposed to get rewarded," said Wilkerson, who spoke to reporters at his charity bowling event in his hometown.

Wilkerson declined to explain why he has been a no-show for two months. He took a matter-of-fact tone, refusing to acknowledge he's upset. At the same time, he didn't seem particularly optimistic about a new deal.

The Jets gained leverage by drafting defensive end Leonard Williams with the sixth overall pick. Wilkerson said he has nothing against Williams, adding, "He was the best available pick. I definitely look forward to working with him and playing with him in the trenches."

Wilkerson said he was aware of the trade rumors before and during the draft. He said the prospect of getting trade -- albeit unlikely -- doesn't faze him.

"Not at all," he said. "If I was to get traded ... of course, I'm a New Jersey guy, I want to be here. But if that's the case, if I were to get traded, there's nothing I can do about it."

Wilkerson has been working out with personal trainers in Atlanta and Maryland. He has kept in touch with teammates, going over play and defensive schemes with them. The Jets are installing a new system under coach Todd Bowles.

I agree, too. I just don't care about cap ramifications, I want to see this D Line together for a long time. I totally understand the arguments against because of cap room and spreading money out to ALL positionss-blah, bla-blah, bla-blah, but I just don't f-ing care...I want this D Line, when its all said and done, to be among the best that ever was.

Make it happen. Sign him already and lets get ready to rumble!!!!

We had to take Williams at 6, I understand that. This is the reason I didn't like taking LW because there is no way they are going to give Wilkerson a big contract then have to do the same for Richardson and then possibly again for LW. The LW pick is causing a unnecessary conflict in the organization. I like the Devin Smith pick but we passed on Parker and White . I personally think D Parker will be a better WR than White, and tomake it even worse Parker is Miami. Go ahead fire away!

We had to take Williams at 6, I understand that. This is the reason I didn't like taking LW because there is no way they are going to give Wilkerson a big contract then have to do the same for Richardson and then possibly again for LW. The LW pick is causing a unnecessary conflict in the organization. I like the Devin Smith pick but we passed on Parker and White . I personally think D Parker will be a better WR than White, and tomake it even worse Parker is Miami. Go ahead fire away!

Well, as far as Parker goes. he just had foot surgery. I think he'll be available for the regular season, but you never like having your thoroughbred  1st round pick having foot surgery.

I'm ok with the Williams pick. We got the best player in this draft.

Sign him and then play a 4-3. My GOD, if ever a team had the d-line that is perfect for the 4-3, this would be it. I like Bowles a lot so far, but I have always been frustrated with NFL coaches and how they rarely adjust their preferences for the talent on hand.

OK, that is my rare negative rant. GO Jets!!!

Sign him and then play a 4-3. My GOD, if ever a team had the d-line that is perfect for the 4-3, this would be it. I like Bowles a lot so far, but I have always been frustrated with NFL coaches and how they rarely adjust their preferences for the talent on hand.

What do you do with Coples and Harris at the LB position then?

You then have to put Coples back on the DL( back to having a talented player too many)

Harris ($7.5 mil) too slow for a 4-3 MLB. DD moves to MLB, rookie Mauldin to weak side and who (?) to strong side?

Henderson/Lattimore?

We used to line up in different fronts all the time .... I think that will remain. Gets players some rest and QB never knows what's coming.

He is under contract making $7MM +/-.  Boo effin' hoo -- so he has to bathe in Charles Heidseick Monopole instead of Cristal.  Near bottom of the 1st round pick who has played very well but is not the top of the class at his position. The Jets already know he wants a long term deal. Being petulant isn't the way to handle business.  Play out the contract.

They would have to pay whoever they took at 6 the same amount of money as LW.  If he worked out, as you assume LW will become, they would also have to pay him again.  Dont see what the difference is, we would still carry the same number on the DL

They would have to pay whoever they took at 6 the same amount of money as LW.  If he worked out, as you assume LW will become, they would also have to pay him again.  Dont see what the difference is, we would still carry the same number on the DL

The difference being all the money tied up on the DL, which I would be ok with if we kept WIlkerson.

I'm still trying to figure out why we need to do his contract now. He's under contract and we can franchise him next season and decide what we want to do with him. Keep the options open IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The difference being all the money tied up on the DL, which I would be ok with if we kept WIlkerson.

I get that.  But that would be the strength of the team and you can win that way.  Especially since we wont have big money tied into the QB position for some time

Why wouldn't we be able to give Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams all big contracts? Wilkerson and Richardsons contracts will be two years apart from one another giving us time to make some cap space to give Richardson a contract, then Williams contract can wait 2 years from the time Richardson signs also by the time Williams signs his contract Revis will likely either retire or be on another team giving us lots of cap room. I don't see the contracts being much of an issue honestly plus you have to figure Williams is a rookie and could always end up being a bust in which case that is one less big contract to worry about.

On a second note, I don't know what everyone saw in Parker, in my opinion the guy had bust written all over him as an early to mid first round pick. In a weak draft I would have felt comfortable with him in the late first but this draft had a lot of talent at the position. I actually think Devin Smith is a safer pick but quite honestly I think all receivers in our division are going to struggle this year because every team in the division has some pretty scary defensive lines and if the QB has no time they typically will make poor decisions (even Brady struggles when he is getting sacked a few times in a game)

I'm still trying to figure out why we need to do his contract now. He's under contract and we can franchise him next season and decide what we want to do with him. Keep the options open IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the Saints gave Cam Jordan a new contract even though he was under contract and they could franchise him next season.  The only difference here is that we drafted Williams, giving the Jets more ability and freedom to use Wilk as trade bait for players and/or draft picks.  The two players are nearly identical statistically.

Wilkerson deserves to get a contract equivalent/nearly identical to the new contract the Saints gave to Cameron Jordan:

Both were drafted in the back end of round 1 of the 2011 draft, Jordan was drafted 6 spots ahead of Wilk at 24 and Wilk was 30th.
Both play in a 3-4 defense.

games played: 
Jordan - 64
Wilk - 61

tackles:
Jordan - solo 119, assisted 79
Wilk - solo 147, assisted 92

sacks:
Jordan - 29
Wilk - 24.5

forced fumbles:
Jordan - 5
Wilk - 7

passes defended:
Jordan - 17
Wilk - 14

interceptions:
Jordan - 1
Wilk - 1

safeties
Jordan - 0
Wilk - 1

Statistically, these two are peas in the same pod... virtually identical.

He is under contract making $7MM +/-. Boo effin' hoo -- so he has to bathe in Charles Heidseick Monopole instead of Cristal. Near bottom of the 1st round pick who has played very well but is not the top of the class at his position. The Jets already know he wants a long term deal. Being petulant isn't the way to handle business. Play out the contract.

At 7 mill a year he can afford to bathe in Armand de Bringac ace of spades.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6507/cameron-jordan

Saints signed DE Cam Jordan to a five-year extension worth up to $60 million.

The deal, which runs through 2020, includes a hefty $33.6 million in guaranteed money and nearly $27 million over the next two years. It's a ton of cash considering the down year Jordan had in 2014, but we saw his sky-high ceiling in 2013 when he graded out as a top-four 3-4 end in PFF's grades. Still just 25 years old, Jordan 28 sacks in his last 48 games. The Saints continue to invest heavily in their defense and running game this offseason. Jun 2 - 10:34 AM

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Couldn't agree more.  How come coaches can't adjust their schemes to the personnel?  It's kind of ridiculous. 

Why wouldn't we be able to give Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams all big contracts? Wilkerson and Richardsons contracts will be two years apart from one another giving us time to make some cap space to give Richardson a contract, then Williams contract can wait 2 years from the time Richardson signs also by the time Williams signs his contract Revis will likely either retire or be on another team giving us lots of cap room. I don't see the contracts being much of an issue honestly plus you have to figure Williams is a rookie and could always end up being a bust in which case that is one less big contract to worry about.

On a second note, I don't know what everyone saw in Parker, in my opinion the guy had bust written all over him as an early to mid first round pick. In a weak draft I would have felt comfortable with him in the late first but this draft had a lot of talent at the position. I actually think Devin Smith is a safer pick but quite honestly I think all receivers in our division are going to struggle this year because every team in the division has some pretty scary defensive lines and if the QB has no time they typically will make poor decisions (even Brady struggles when he is getting sacked a few times in a game)

Parker will struggle early in the year because he had foot surgery and could be out 8-12 weeks. If we sign Mo and LW lives up to the hype I will be happy with the pick. I dont see how Smith is a better prospect than Parker. Smith tracks the deep ball great but he also makes alot of body catches which is a slight concern for me. Marshall is getting up there in age and if he or Decker goes down we have a problem.

Parker will struggle early in the year because he had foot surgery and could be out 8-12 weeks. If we sign Mo and LW lives up to the hype I will be happy with the pick. I dont see how Smith is a better prospect than Parker. Smith tracks the deep ball great but he also makes alot of body catches which is a slight concern for me. Marshall is getting up there in age and if he or Decker goes down we have a problem.

I've watched a lot of Devin Smith video since we drafted him.... and I can tell you that 70% of the time I have seen him reach out for the ball and catch it with his hands and immediately turn up field. He high points the ball pretty decent for a guy his height. I too like the Smith pick over Parker. I think he fits what we're looking for in our "O".... Quickness to break from press coverage and Speed to open up the "D"

I really do love Wilk, and I want him on the team for the next decade. One thing I'm worried about is losing him without any form of compensation. We have to franchise him next year, in my opinion. If we're going to lose him, let's receive some draft picks in return.

Archived