Joe Klecko ~ ~ ~

kelly

With the Class of 2015 being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this weekend, NFL Nation writers provide their choices for who should be the next retired or current player, coach or contributor to enter the Hall from each of their teams.

~ ~ New York Jets

Joe Klecko. He was one of the most dominant defensive linemen in the 1980s and the only player in history to make the Pro Bowl at three different positions on the line -- end, tackle and nose tackle. In 1981, he recorded a league-leading 20.5 sacks before it was an official statistic. Klecko enters his second season of eligibility as a senior candidate. Several Hall of Famers, including Howie Long, have voiced strong support for Klecko's candidacy. -- Rich Cimini

rest of above article :

> http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/173443/who-should-be-the-next-player-from-each-team-to-make-the-hall-of-fame

With the Class of 2015 being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this weekend, NFL Nation writers provide their choices for who should be the next retired or current player, coach or contributor to enter the Hall from each of their teams.

~ ~ New York Jets

Joe Klecko. He was one of the most dominant defensive linemen in the 1980s and the only player in history to make the Pro Bowl at three different positions on the line -- end, tackle and nose tackle. In 1981, he recorded a league-leading 20.5 sacks before it was an official statistic. Klecko enters his second season of eligibility as a senior candidate. Several Hall of Famers, including Howie Long, have voiced strong support for Klecko's candidacy. -- Rich Cimini

rest of above article :

> http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/173443/who-should-be-the-next-player-from-each-team-to-make-the-hall-of-fame

Thanks for post.

I won't set foot in the HOF until he's inducted.

Who was asked to champion Klecko?  Don't they pick one writer to make his case?  Please tell me its not Cimini.

I don't understand the Cimini hate at all.  He wrote the blurb above your are even posting about.  I bet Cimini would do an awesome job championing Klecko.

In a previous Klecko thread, someone had quotes from HOF offensive lineman who mentioned Klecko (among others) when asked about the great D-Lineman he's faced. The other guys were in HOF; Klecko was the only one who wasn't in the HOF. A telling quote.

That's gotta count for something

In a previous Klecko thread, someone had quotes from HOF offensive lineman who mentioned Klecko (among others) when asked about the great D-Lineman he's faced. The other guys were in HOF; Klecko was the only one who wasn't in the HOF. A telling quote.

That's gotta count for something

I don't know which thread you're referring to, but the player you're thinking of was Muñoz.

I don't understand the Cimini hate at all.  He wrote the blurb above your are even posting about.  I bet Cimini would do an awesome job championing Klecko.

I could change my opinion of Cimini IF he could get Klecko in the Hall.  Right now, he still a douche.

Jets fans have been saying it for the past two decades when it comes to Joe Klecko and the Pro Football Hall of Fame. One fan — not a typical fan, to be sure — gave voice to the sentiment again this week."I say it every day," said Ray Lucas, the SNY commentator and former Jets QB. "It's ridiculous. Why isn't Joe in the Hall of Fame?"Klecko, the four-time Pro Bowl defensive lineman, 1981 PFW Defensive Player of the Year and New York Jets Ring of Honor member, remains calm in the face of the annual questions about if and when."I keep my fingers crossed, always, because I have no power over the whole thing," he told me Thursday during the Jets' camp practice at the Atlantic Health Training Center. "Listen, if it happens, it's God's will. That's the way I look at it."

But Klecko would welcome a call from the Hall, and this year, soon, he could get a message that would signal more good news to come. The Hall of Fame's Seniors Committee is scheduled to meet next week to decide the two senior players, out of the game for at least 25 years, who will be on the ballot for induction as a member of the Class of 2016.Being named one of those two players wouldn't guarantee Klecko a bust in the Canton, Ohio, shrine. But most of the nominated seniors since 2004 — 20 of 23 — have been inducted when the full 46-member Hall of Fame Selection Committee convenes to vote the day before each Super Bowl.Klecko continues to have support from some of the players he played against who are now in the Hall."That's an embarrassing situation for me, the great players that have said great things," he said. "Anthony Muñoz, maybe the best left tackle to ever play. Dwight Stephenson — it's between him and Mike Webster as being the greatest centers. And John Hannah, of course, who's been proclaimed one of the best guards ever. Those three guys right there have had a lot to say about it."

Dolphins QB Dan Marino and Bills guard Joe DeLamielleure have also spoken up for Klecko, as has Selection Committee member Peter King of Sports Illustrated, among many others.In the meantime, Klecko tends to his work and his family and make appearances in support of his extended family, the Green & White. After watching practice Thursday, he had lots of praise for GM Mike Maccagnan and head coach Todd Bowles. He likes the offense built around RB Chris Ivory and WRs Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. And he loves the defense, from the front seven to the acquisitions (or re-acquisitions) of corners Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine.

"There is no doubt in my mind they will be in the playoffs," Klecko said. "How far can they go from there ? It depends upon health. But the thing about it is this defense can carry this team very far. I really believe this defense has the potential, if they can stay healthy, to be No. 1 in the National Football League."As for his health, Klecko says he's fine, and his nerves will be steady in the coming days."It'd be nice to do it," he said of receiving the nod from the Hall of Fame. "It would be the culmination of a great career and a great time in a great league. I have three children that have never seen my play, so that would be the ultimate thing for me because I'm a big family guy."I won't be sitting by the phone. But if it happens, it would be a really wonderful culmination."

We're keeping our fingers crossed along with No. 73 again this year. If you'd like to pass on your support for Joe Klecko, drop us a comment here or on the tweet linking to this article when it's live on @rlangejets and @nyjets

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Time-Again-for-Joe-Klecko-to-Hear-from-the-Hall/b3e0a457-e8aa-434e-800d-b88070af7ef4

HOF Offensive lineman, Joe Dellamaluirre, has told me personally ( Joe lives in Charlotte)..

Joe Klecko was one of the 3 toughest lineman I ever faced. I feared him as much as Mean Joe Green.

He emphatically does not understand why Klecko is NOT in the Hall of Fame.

I want badly to wear my Klecko Jersey to Canton.

One of my all time favorite Jets players. He deserves to be in the HOF, I think. His arrest record after his career was over has hurt him, but they have let worse guys in.

I think playing with Gatineau may have hurt his name recognition. Not sure why but most every NON NY fan when asked who was the Sack Exchange name Gastineau... They stumble for the others.

Joe's post career mistakes are well documented and no doubt have prevented his entry to the HOF.

He was without doubt one of the best of his era and deserves the recognition.

He certanily deflated many QB's but never deflated footballs. Time to forgive and let him in.

One of my all time favorite Jets players. He deserves to be in the HOF, I think. His arrest record after his career was over has hurt him, but they have let worse guys in.

agreed !.. one of the VERY best   :character0181:

Kind of ironic that the guy I immediately think of who doesn't deserve to be in the hall before Joe from that era is Howie Long.   And he's trying to get Joe in.

If Joe takes his rightful place in the HOF the next Jet to work on is Marvin Powell.  Another player not getting his due for some reason.  He doesn't have any off the field issues, was a great OT 

I think playing with Gatineau may have hurt his name recognition. Not sure why but most every NON NY fan when asked who was the Sack Exchange name Gastineau... They stumble for the others.

If only he were better in the movies it would have helped his name recognition.

Klecko in Smokey and the Bandit < Gastineau in Walk Like an Egyptian.

I think Gastineau has hurt him b/c when people think of that great DL they think of the flashier Gastineau, I think the Jets never making a SB and never getting back to even a title game after '82 hurts and not having the sack as an official stat until 1982 hurts.  People always like #s, his official sack count is 24 but he had 20 1/2 in one season in 1981.  I think Joe will eventually make it but he will be like Tinglehoff the other night, a guy in his 70s or 80s when he finally gets the call.

I think Gastineau has hurt him b/c when people think of that great DL they think of the flashier Gastineau, I think the Jets never making a SB and never getting back to even a title game after '82 hurts and not having the sack as an official stat until 1982 hurts.  People always like #s, his official sack count is 24 but he had 20 1/2 in one season in 1981.  I think Joe will eventually make it but he will be like Tinglehoff the other night, a guy in his 70s or 80s when he finally gets the call.

I agree that the non success of the team has a lot to do with why some make it and others do.  It also helps to be a national TV guy.  Guys like Howie Long and Dierdorf getting in so quickly bears that out.  Marvin Powell was a better OL and never gets recognition while Dierdorf is in.  

Agree, think he will get in, don't think it will take as long as you say.  He's got some big hitters going to bat for him. Hope so at least

I agree that the non success of the team has a lot to do with why some make it and others do.  It also helps to be a national TV guy.  Guys like Howie Long and Dierdorf getting in so quickly bears that out.  Marvin Powell was a better OL and never gets recognition while Dierdorf is in.  

Agree, think he will get in, don't think it will take as long as you say.  He's got some big hitters going to bat for him. Hope so at least

I think that is why Strahan is in too, that fake sack record along w/ being the new Regis.  Very good player but I think very overrated.

I think that is why Strahan is in too, that fake sack record along w/ being the new Regis.  Very good player but I think very overrated.

Exactly.  Seems that if you're on TV, in the public eye you have the inside tract into the HOF.  

Dierdorf?  Long going right in?  Come on, Gas was better than Long

Joe's post career mistakes are well documented and no doubt have prevented his entry to the HOF.

He was without doubt one of the best of his era and deserves the recognition.

He certanily deflated many QB's but never deflated footballs. Time to forgive and let him in.

According to human gasbag Peter King, the selection committee does not take off field issues into account. To be clear, he said this while he was discussing serial rapist Darren Sharper's potential candidacy. 

vastly overrated, made his name by getting that sham sack record and abusing that Philly RT.  good player, not great.  should not be in the Hall.

Dude. Take a deep breath. Strahan currently sits at 5th all time with 141.5 sacks. He got voted into 7 ProBowls and was All Pro four times. He was NFL DPOY in 2001. Was named a member of the All-Decade team and has a Super Bowl ring. He led the league in sacks twice, had six double digit sack seasons plus a 9-sack and a 9.5-sack season.

Please explain to me how he is not a Hall of Famer. 

Dude. Take a deep breath. Strahan currently sits at 5th all time with 141.5 sacks. He got voted into 7 ProBowls and was All Pro four times. He was NFL DPOY in 2001. Was named a member of the All-Decade team and has a Super Bowl ring. He led the league in sacks twice, had six double digit sack seasons plus a 9-sack and a 9.5-sack season.

Please explain to me how he is not a Hall of Famer. 

sacks became an official stat in 1982.

he won DPOY award for reasons- Jon Runyon and the sham sack record.

the SB ring helped but having all those pass rushers around him helped more.  That unit won another SB 4 years later, Michael never got close w/o all that help.

Remember, he led 2 of the biggest chokes in the history of postseason- 1997 vs. Minnesota then 2002 at SF.

he was a great compiler, he averaged .66 sacks per game.  there aren't many in the Hall that have a lower per game avg.  he was also a LDE facing inferior RTs.  when he tried to play LDE he failed.

he was a good/very good player but is very overrated b/ c of the media star he has become.

Interesting you say that... Joe Dellamaluire, HOF Oline man from Bills lives here in Charlotte and I know him fairly well. He commented how difficult it is for O-Lineman to get in due to lack of stats.  He literally hired a marketing company to help him.  He got in with basically 2 years of eligibility left.   That marketing company was referred to him by Ron Yary (Vikings Oline HOF). The "Lack of tangible stats" is a HUGE point you are making.

Joe D as we call him stated Klecko is as good a D-Lineman as ever played.

sacks became an official stat in 1982.

he won DPOY award for reasons- Jon Runyon and the sham sack record.

the SB ring helped but having all those pass rushers around him helped more.  That unit won another SB 4 years later, Michael never got close w/o all that help.

Remember, he led 2 of the biggest chokes in the history of postseason- 1997 vs. Minnesota then 2002 at SF.

he was a great compiler, he averaged .66 sacks per game.  there aren't many in the Hall that have a lower per game avg.  he was also a LDE facing inferior RTs.  when he tried to play LDE he failed.

he was a good/very good player but is very overrated b/ c of the media star he has become.

Chris Doleman, right ahead of Strahan, had 150.5 sacks in 232 games... a .65 sacks per game clip. Hall of Famer Ricky Jackson had a .57 per game average. Charles Haley had a .60 per game average. Andre Tippett - .67. Howie Long - .56. 

Julius Peppers  - who will probably be in the Hall one day currently sits a .63 per game. Terrell Suggs is at .59.

Do you actually research anything or do you just throw sh*t out there and hope no one bothers to take 2 minutes to look sh*t up?

Chris Doleman, right ahead of Strahan, had 150.5 sacks in 232 games... a .65 sacks per game clip. Hall of Famer Ricky Jackson had a .57 per game average. Charles Haley had a .60 per game average. Andre Tippett - .67. Howie Long - .56. 

Julius Peppers  - who will probably be in the Hall one day currently sits a .63 per game. Terrell Suggs is at .59.

Do you actually research anything or do you just throw sh*t out there and hope no one bothers to take 2 minutes to look sh*t up?

Abe has 133.5 in 192 games..

Chris Doleman was a RDE facing elite LTs.

Rickey Jackson was a LB

Tippett a LB

Long did not make it as a pass rusher

Haley had a lower per game avg but being a part of 5 SB titles probably helped.

let's look at some other pass rushers:

Smith: .72

White: .85

Doleman: .65 but again was RDE

Dent: .68

Simeon Rice who was a MUCH better pass rusher and isn't in the Hall averaged .7

LT: .77

Leslie O'Neal who isn't in at .67(as RDE)

Derrick Thomas .75

some current guys:

Ware .81

Allen: .78

even a guy like John Abraham averaged .69

What I read from a site talking about Players that haven't made the HOF.. Gastineau made 5 Pro Bowls and All Pro 3 times that was more then Klecko.. But Joe was a all around player where Mark really wasn't..

Why he shouldn't be elected: Greene might suffer from the star power of the other pass-rushers on the ballot, Strahan and Charles Haley, and though has he 59½ more sacks than Haley, it seems more likely that the star power of Haley's five Super Bowl rings might outweigh that difference. Another problem is that he could be viewed as the Dave Kingman or Adam Dunn of the NFL. Either he hits a home run (a sack) or he strikes out (doesn't do much of anything else to affect the play). In other words, Greene might be looked at as one-dimensional, because he wasn't all that effective in stopping the run or dropping into coverage.

vastly overrated, made his name by getting that sham sack record and abusing that Philly RT.  good player, not great.  should not be in the Hall.

I have to agree with Junc (blech). had Strahan not played in the NY Market this wouldnt even be a conversation. he was always on inside the nfl because of his big mouth on the field talking sh*t, not because of any great plays he made. he was a light DE that was simply a pass rusher (just like gastineau). good player, no hof. I didnt think Warren sapp deserved to be in hof either.

Archived