Your 2015-2016 New York Knicks--Melo, KP, Fisher, Barnes & Gloria

SMC

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting article from Berman of The Post

Ex-coach’s inside look at ‘frail’ Porzingis’ transformation

If Kristaps Porzingis wasn’t 7-foot-3 and still wearing his blond hair short, Audie Norris would have a tough time recognizing the Latvian. That’s how different he looks from last season.

Norris, the big-man coach for the Spanish League’s Casala Sevilla last season, was at the Garden for last Friday’s and Sunday’s games against Milwaukee and the Lakers as Porzingis’ guest. Porzingis was after rebounds like Norris had never seen in Sevilla, where Porzingis played two seasons.

“It reminded me of a conversation we had in Sevilla,’’ Norris told The Post on Thursday. “I told him when you get in the NBA, if you are active, attacking the glass offensively, you can easily rebound in this league because nobody boxes out. That’s what he’s been doing. That’s why he’s getting a lot of offensive putbacks. Nobody boxes out — they just jump up. That’s why he’s doing very well at rebounding. He’s always staying active. He doesn’t stay still. And he’s hanging around the basket more than I’m used to seeing him.’’

Here's the rest

http://nypost.com/2015/11/12/ex-coachs-inside-look-at-frail-porzingis-transformation/

If Kristaps Porzingis wasn’t 7-foot-3 and still wearing his blond hair short, Audie Norris would have a tough time recognizing the Latvian. That’s how different he looks from last season.

Norris, the big-man coach for the Spanish League’s Casala Sevilla last season, was at the Garden for last Friday’s and Sunday’s games against Milwaukee and the Lakers as Porzingis’ guest. Porzingis was after rebounds like Norris had never seen in Sevilla, where Porzingis played two seasons.

“It reminded me of a conversation we had in Sevilla,’’ Norris told The Post on Thursday. “I told him when you get in the NBA, if you are active, attacking the glass offensively, you can easily rebound in this league because nobody boxes out. That’s what he’s been doing. That’s why he’s getting a lot of offensive putbacks. Nobody boxes out — they just jump up. That’s why he’s doing very well at rebounding. He’s always staying active. He doesn’t stay still. And he’s hanging around the basket more than I’m used to seeing him.’’

Here's the rest

http://nypost.com/2015/11/12/ex-coachs-inside-look-at-frail-porzingis-transformation/

The current landscape of the NBA has been changed exactly as the NFL has.  Steph Curry is filthy, all-time good, but I have a hard time seeing him so what he's doing now if he were playing in the league, circa 1995. 

Here's the rest

drives me ******* nuts

Fisher has no idea how to rotate his team so that he has a decent lineup in the 4th to close a game. 

This.

Plus, playing Calderon significant minutes in the 4th when he is constantly a minus doesn't make sense.

The main solace is that the Knicks are still in a stretch of a brutal schedule so 4-6 against 8 playoff teams isn't bad.

BTW, KP is tied for second in offensive rebounds in the entire NBA, which is kinda crazy

The main solace is that the Knicks are still in a stretch of a brutal schedule so 4-6 against 8 playoff teams isn't bad.

The team is still terrible. Wins are only solace as far as not having our draft pick. The only thing that really matters is fading the disaster scenario for Porzingis and things are looking great on that obviously. If he stays healthy and Galloway sustains his second-year jump in the face of the inevitable shooting decline anything else we can get is gravy. Which is good because at this point anything else is basically O'Quinn and nobody.

The team is still terrible. Wins are only solace as far as not having our draft pick. The only thing that really matters is fading the disaster scenario for Porzingis and things are looking great on that obviously. If he stays healthy and Galloway sustains his second-year jump in the face of the inevitable shooting decline anything else we can get is gravy. Which is good because at this point anything else is basically O'Quinn and nobody.

While I mostly agree, your definition of terrible may be different than mine and others.  I'd put teams in 4 categories: (1) Elite, (2) Playoff Teams, (3) Teams Fighting for Playoffs/Low Lottery Teams and (4) High Lottery teams.

Knicks are in the 3rd category.  I wouldn't call that terrible, but hey I can see it.

this team isn't terrible at all and has a shot at landing Durant or Drummond be t offseason.  Porzingis looks legit and will continue develop.  Phil made some great below the radar moves like Derrick Eilliams and o quinn

this team isn't terrible at all and has a shot at landing Durant or Drummond be t offseason.  Porzingis looks legit and will continue develop.  Phil made some great below the radar moves like Derrick Eilliams and o quinn

The team is terrible, has zero shot at landing Durant or Drummond, and Derrick Williams sucks. The free agents have produced basically nothing and the draft picks are not close to being there yet. This is nothing unusual for rookies and we finally have something resembling a young nucleus for the first time since forever but they're not actually helping us win games now. Galloway is propping up the team and it's going to get ugly fast when his shot cools.

While I mostly agree, your definition of terrible may be different than mine and others.  I'd put teams in 4 categories: (1) Elite, (2) Playoff Teams, (3) Teams Fighting for Playoffs/Low Lottery Teams and (4) High Lottery teams.

Knicks are in the 3rd category.  I wouldn't call that terrible, but hey I can see it.

(5) teams that are terrible but don't own their high lottery picks

(5) teams that are terrible but don't own their high lottery picks

Are you talking about going forward, because the Knicks wouldn't fall into that (5) category next year since they's have a low lottery pick.  If they miss the playoffs they'll likely be in the 10-12 range, which isn't franchise crushing to miss out on that pick.

Fortunately, the Knicks still own all their 1st rounders after 2016 (knock on wood).

The Knicks were terrible last year at the perfect time.

The team is terrible, has zero shot at landing Durant or Drummond, and Derrick Williams sucks. The free agents have produced basically nothing and the draft picks are not close to being there yet. This is nothing unusual for rookies and we finally have something resembling a young nucleus for the first time since forever but they're not actually helping us win games now. Galloway is propping up the team and it's going to get ugly fast when his shot cools.

I hope the Knicks don't pursue Durant or Drummond (because they have no shot at them) and focus on someone like Harrison Barnes and give him a killer restricted agent offer.

Also, KP and Grant have 0.5 (second best out of all rookies) and 0.3 win shares, respectively, so they are, technically, helping the Knicks win games.

Krackerbags Potatochipas is starting to make me feel like the most inadequate human being ever. I'm just going to tell myself that I can't do this because I'm not 7'3 inches of Latvian magnificence, BUT IF I WAS...

Holding court at his locker-room stall, Porzingis coolly sat down and conducted a postgame group interview in English, a one-on-one in Spanish and a final one-on-one in Latvian. Porzingis managed each session in quick succession with poise and confidence, two traits that have come to define the 20-year-old rookie in his first few weeks in the NBA. “I’ve done two,” Porzingis said, with a laugh, about conducting interviews in different languages. “That is the first time I’ve done three. Crazy.”

I hope the Knicks don't pursue Durant or Drummond (because they have no shot at them) and focus on someone like Harrison Barnes and give him a killer restricted agent offer.

Also, KP and Grant have 0.5 (second best out of all rookies) and 0.3 win shares, respectively, so they are, technically, helping the Knicks win games.

Conley would sure be a dream come true too.

I think the best part about both of them is that it looks like we got the two best players at both those slots. Maybe that changes as time goes on because Winslow looks awesome, but as of now nobody drafted after Cthulu Porkrinds is better, and nobody drafted after Grant is better.

The best thing that can happen for the Knicks is O'Quinn and Galloway hold steady as things get closer to the deadline. And there has to be some desperate, stupid team out there making a playoff push that we can sell Calderon on. We definitely have some chips to move to get into the 2016 draft.

Archived