TRADE dept. : Could Jets entertain idea of trading Geno Smith before deadline ? ? ?

kelly

Could be, but with Gailey's track record of getting the most out of his QB's, I could've lived with them taking a peek at Geno.

Either way...Jets QB play is better than it's been in years.

I hear ya Glenn, but my issue was with our Top5 Defense I knew we had a wildcard shot this year and I was 90% sure even if Sid Gilliam was OffCoord, Geno would have us at 0-4, 1-3... I was just fearful of him and a new playbook.  But, if he comes in I hope he is a AllPro.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear ya Glenn, but my issue was with our Top5 Defense I knew we had a wildcard shot this year and I was 90% sure even if Sid Gilliam was OffCoord, Geno would have us at 0-4, 1-2... I was just fearful of him and a new playbook.  But, if he comes in I hope he is a AllPro.

I don't disagree, and that part did scare me.  I had my moments where I worried about that exact scenario. Losing a couple games with Geno and missing the playoffs by one game after Fitz took over.  That being said, I understand what the team was thinking in handing him the job.

Congrats on the Mets win BTW...they have a handful of good fans and you're one of 'em.

I don't disagree, and that part did scare me.  I had my moments where I worried about that exact scenario. Losing a couple games with Geno and missing the playoffs by one game after Fitz took over.  That being said, I understand what the team was thinking in handing him the job.

Congrats on the Mets win BTW...they have a handful of good fans and you're one of 'em.

Ya, Mets and Jets, part of the 'even a blind squirrel finds a acorn once in awhile' Club ;)

Ya, Mets and Jets, part of the 'even a blind squirrel finds a acorn once in awhile' Club ;)

Looks like the Mets found a few good ones on that pitching staff...let's hope the Jets have done the same with some of the rooks :)

LOL, coach speak, don't believe all you hear. They were going to come up with 'something' to get Geno on pine before Game 1. IK just helped them out, LOL. IK is Jets MVP at this point. 

Lol dont believe Coach speak?  But you want me to believe you knew all along that they were going to come up with something to get Geno on pine? 

Man, you really seem to know the future or have an inside track on things... You should def be a futures investor or an options trader

Lol dont believe Coach speak?  But you want me to believe you knew all along that they were going to come up with something to get Geno on pine? 

Man, you really seem to know the future or have an inside track on things... You should def be a futures investor or an options trader

I was saying day they got Fitz (who knew Chans system) that Fitz was probably acquired to be starter and they would draft a QB (mainly cause of new HC/GM). I admit I worried when I heard the Geno has job talk in camp, but I 50/50 beleived it. Glenn may be right where he thinks they thought Geno might implode, but give him 4 games to implode.. I am not there yet cause I know Chan/Todd/Mac watched film of 2014, LOL.. But, agree to disagree,, Like I said I am Geno's biggest fan as a 2nd string QB, and if Fitz hurt I will root my ass off for him and hope I am wrong and the lights finally went on and he is better than functional. Bottom line is we all Bleed Green, but just think different about it...

doesnt matter everyone except genos mom knew he would pull a collosally stupid move and blow it only question was when. Fortunately for the team and players the answer was before week one.

even more important at this point is other GMs opinions of geno in the trade market. Answer is 7th rounder at best.

to paraphrase Patrick Henry "if only Geno had more than one jaw to sacrifice for his team"

You can hate on Geno all you want.. But Fitzy, whom I like was not on anyone's starting QB radar either...  His former team needed a starting QB, a backup and still they chose not to keep him and traded him for a 7th round pick. ( So far this season, cept for 2 passes) he has been simply a game manager..  he's thrown 7 td's and 6 int's.   That's decent and slightly below avg and a Coach, GM would would be wise to keep Geno just in case Fitzy is rendered useless.  We have a high draft pick in Devon Smith that can stretch defenses and we need an arm that can get him the ball..     If Fitzy went for a 7th rounder, then maybe Geno's value may be at a 6th or so...     

Actually it appears I was alluding to this day we acquired him March 11, 2015

http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/120523-jets-trade-for-ryan-fitzpatrick-all-things-fitzpatrick-in-here/

another thing, you have to admit Glenn that was tuf for coaches, was the monkey wrench for Jets with Fitz's broken leg. He was in contact most of camp, and Coaches were told he wouldnt get a final 'good to go Opening Day' medical clearance until August sometime. saying how great Fitz was doing in system and then telling fans 'ooops, he isnt cleared', he is a month away at least not a good thing. Best approach was play up geno and hope for medical clearance for Fitz and see what shakes out last few weeks of camp/preseason.

You can hate on Geno all you want.. But Fitzy, whom I like was not on anyone's starting QB radar either...  His former team needed a starting QB, a backup and still they chose not to keep him and traded him for a 7th round pick. ( So far this season, cept for 2 passes) he has been simply a game manager..  he's thrown 7 td's and 6 int's.   That's decent and slightly below avg and a Coach, GM would would be wise to keep Geno just in case Fitzy is rendered useless.  We have a high draft pick in Devon Smith that can stretch defenses and we need an arm that can get him the ball..     If Fitzy went for a 7th rounder, then maybe Geno's value may be at a 6th or so...     

i always liked fitz. Thought he and kyle orton were most underrated QBs in nfl last year

• 2 weeks later...

As the NFL's trading deadline -- Tuesday, Nov. 3, at 4 p.m. ET -- approaches, we propose five explosive, albeit unlikely, possible deals.

Proposed trade No. 3 :

New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees to New York Jets for a third-round draft choice

The Saints have defied gravity for about as long as any team can in today's NFL that is not based in New England, as the Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers will attest. New Orleans won a Super Bowl at the end of the 2009 season and put together double-digit regular-season wins four times in five seasons.But the modern-day reality is three losing seasons in the past four, including a 3-4 mark this season, already hopelessly far behind the 6-0 Carolina Panthers and 6-1 Atlanta Falcons in the smoking NFC South. The Saints have systematically dismantled their core, underlined by the dealing of tight end Jimmy Graham to the Seattle Seahawks and the release of linebacker Junior Galette, in an attempt to keep face of the franchise and future Hall of Famer in the pocket. There are 11 rookies on the roster already, so they are already well into a drastic makeover.

Now it's time to throw caution to the wind and let the Brees go -- while he's still worth something.

We could have sent him to the Buffalo Bills or Washington Redskins, but this was the best fit. The Jets might have the best defense in the league, and while Ryan Fitzpatrick has been an efficient (and cheap) option under center, it's only been six games. The larger career sample raises the queasy question: Can you win a Super Bowl with him ?  Jets owner Woody Johnson might say no. Over the years, Johnson has seemed more interested in winning the back page of the New York tabloids than the Super Bowl. His two AFC title game appearances in 2009 and 2010 came with Mark Sanchez at quarterback, but Johnson has signed off on the successful (in a matter of speaking) pursuits of Brett Favre and Tim Tebow. This is a team that sees itself in the playoffs -- and few other wild-card aspirants would benefit more from a significant upgrade at quarterback.

This deal for Brees is too good of an opportunity for both teams to, uh, pass up.

Brees, who turns 37 in January, is in the second-to-last year of a five-year deal worth $100 million. He's making $13.5 million this year, but the Jets would only have to come up with half in the event of a deadline trade. The base salary is a staggering $19.75 million next year and the salary cap hit is $30 million -- the highest in the league. By releasing or trading Brees, the Saints would save $20 million. Thinking ahead, the Saints picked quarterback Garrett Grayson in the third round this year, the highest they've drafted a quarterback in the regular draft since Archie Manning in 1971.The Jets are among those NFL teams closest to the cap ceiling, but they'll find a way to bring Brees aboard by restructuring his contract and releasing a few players. The third-round price is steep, but if anyone can assimilate a new offense in time for the playoffs, it's Brees.

In the end, San Diego's gift to the Saints in 2006 becomes New Orleans' gift to the Jets.

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14003606/trades-see-drew-brees-new-orleans-saints-newyork-jets

-- Reaching into the New York Jets' mailbag for Week 8 (and answering other questions on Twitter) :

@RichCimini what are the Jets going to do with Q. Coples? That guys looks lost on the field. Trade this year or cut next year. #jetsmail

@RichCimini: I don't know how you can say Quinton Coples looks lost on the field; he's never on it long enough to look anything. And therein lies the issue. He has played only 48 defensive snaps over the past three games, a sharp decline in his playing time. The coaches have a ready answer for this, claiming it's because the personnel packages that include him haven't been used much, based on the offensive looks they've been seeing in recent weeks.

It's coachspeak.

While it's technically true, it begs the question: Why isn't Coples used in more packages? We're talking about a former first-round pick (16th overall in 2012), so the presumption is he has talent. But here's the thing: Todd Bowles goes by what he sees and evidently doesn't think Coples has the skill set to contribute in packages other than the base defense, which we all know isn't used that much anymore because of wide-open passing attacks. The production doesn't lie: He has half as many penalties (four) and solo tackles (eight).So what will happen to Coples? It wouldn't surprise me if the Jets listen to trade offers before Tuesday's deadline. It'll be tough to move him because of next year's salary ($7.75 million, the amount of his fifth-year option), but it's worth exploring because it's hard to imagine the Jets keeping him next year at that price if his role stays the same. It's worth noting the $7.75 million is guaranteed for injury only at this point.

It's too bad the Miami Dolphins are in the AFC East. Otherwise, they'd be an ideal landing spot now that pass rusher Cameron Wake is out for the season. Dolphins executive vice president Mike Tannenbaum was the Jets' general manager when Coples was drafted, but it's probably a non-starter. Why would the Jets want to help a division foe  ? Any trade consideration also would be based on the Jets' confidence level in rookie Lorenzo Mauldin, who probably would replace Coples in the base defense. My sense is, no, they wouldn't be comfortable with Mauldin in that role just yet.

In the end, I think Coples will finish out the season with the Jets. But 2016 might be a different story.

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55538/will-the-disappearing-quinton-coples-resurface-on-trading-block

-- Reaching into the New York Jets' mailbag for Week 8 (and answering other questions on Twitter) :

@RichCimini what are the Jets going to do with Q. Coples? That guys looks lost on the field. Trade this year or cut next year. #jetsmail

@RichCimini: I don't know how you can say Quinton Coples looks lost on the field; he's never on it long enough to look anything. And therein lies the issue. He has played only 48 defensive snaps over the past three games, a sharp decline in his playing time. The coaches have a ready answer for this, claiming it's because the personnel packages that include him haven't been used much, based on the offensive looks they've been seeing in recent weeks.

It's coachspeak.

While it's technically true, it begs the question: Why isn't Coples used in more packages? We're talking about a former first-round pick (16th overall in 2012), so the presumption is he has talent. But here's the thing: Todd Bowles goes by what he sees and evidently doesn't think Coples has the skill set to contribute in packages other than the base defense, which we all know isn't used that much anymore because of wide-open passing attacks. The production doesn't lie: He has half as many penalties (four) and solo tackles (eight).So what will happen to Coples? It wouldn't surprise me if the Jets listen to trade offers before Tuesday's deadline. It'll be tough to move him because of next year's salary ($7.75 million, the amount of his fifth-year option), but it's worth exploring because it's hard to imagine the Jets keeping him next year at that price if his role stays the same. It's worth noting the $7.75 million is guaranteed for injury only at this point.

It's too bad the Miami Dolphins are in the AFC East. Otherwise, they'd be an ideal landing spot now that pass rusher Cameron Wake is out for the season. Dolphins executive vice president Mike Tannenbaum was the Jets' general manager when Coples was drafted, but it's probably a non-starter. Why would the Jets want to help a division foe  ? Any trade consideration also would be based on the Jets' confidence level in rookie Lorenzo Mauldin, who probably would replace Coples in the base defense. My sense is, no, they wouldn't be comfortable with Mauldin in that role just yet.

In the end, I think Coples will finish out the season with the Jets. But 2016 might be a different story.

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55538/will-the-disappearing-quinton-coples-resurface-on-trading-block

The idea that trading Coples to the Dolphins would be helping a division foe is pretty funny.

— The Jets are in the midst of getting throttled by the Raiders at O.co Stadium on Sunday, and they've lost quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick to a thumb injury, from which he won't return.

And with Tuesday's trade deadline approaching, the Jets aren't even waiting for the game to end to begin considering other options. Per Pro Football Talk:

ProFootballTalk

@ProFootballTalk

Per source, Jets already are making calls about potential quarterbacks who may be available to be signed or traded.

Head coach Todd Bowles told CBS at halftime that Fitzpatrick's injury is "a ligament issue" to his left (non-throwing) hand. Geno Smith replaced Fitzpatrick, and third-stringer Bryce Petty was deactivated before the game began. That the Jets would so quickly pursue other options could just be due diligence, but it could also be a sign Fitzpatrick may not be ready to play again any time soon.

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/11/jets_already_inquiring_about_other_quarterbacks_pe_1.html#incart_river

That the Jets would so quickly pursue other options could just be due diligence, but it could also be a sign Fitzpatrick may not be ready to play again any time soon.

That AND the Jets coaching staff/front office wisely wants to add another buffer for Bryce Petty, to ensure he won't have to see the field a second before he's ready to do so.

The Jets lost quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick to torn ligaments in his non-throwing hand in Sunday's 34-20 loss against the Raiders, but needed him to come back out for a few plays after Fitzpatrick's backup, Geno Smith, also got hurt after sustaining blows to his shoulder and abdomen.

The major takeaway from head coach Todd Bowles?

"We've got to learn how to slide," he said, via The New York Post.

Though Smith eventually came back into the game, both quarterbacks will hit the MRI room on Monday and third-stringer, rookie Bryce Petty, is essentially on a redshirt year. This makes the Jets one of the more interesting teams as the trade deadline approaches.Ryan Mallett is available and played for the Texans while Mike Maccagnan was a personnel executive there. Matt Flynn, also a free agent, spent some time on the Jets' roster this summer as well. NFL Media's Albert Breer, however, threw water on the Mallett idea Sunday night, reporting that Mallett would not be an option if the Jets made a move.

Josh Johnson (Bills) might also make some sense if he becomes available, as he has a working knowledge of the playbook. Same goes for Tarvaris Jackson (Seahawks) or anyone familiar with offensive coordinator Chan Gailey's quick-strike offense.The Jets are in an interesting position here. They are a young, defense-first team winning without incredible quarterback play. The right move, should Fitzpatrick and Smith not be able to go, could keep them in the playoff hunt.

The wrong move, which might also include sticking with Smith, could sink a promising campaign faster than expected.

>       http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000571159/article/with-fitzpatrick-smith-hurting-will-jets-look-for-qb

Here is what I do if I was GM:

1. Ask around if any potential short-term QB (The Glennons of the NFL) could be had for a 4th round pick + Coples or lower.  If so, trade for the one we as an Org like best.  If not, no deal.

2A. If Fitz is out, and a Glennon-alike trade for, start Geno 1 week, then start Glennon-alike till Fitz is back.

2B. If Fitz is out, and no trade made, sign a street FA (i.e. a Flynn).

3. Start Geno (because why not), backup is Flynn, Petty remains #3 till Fitz returns.

The New York Jets have quarterback issues. Again.

With Ryan Fitzpatrick (non-throwing thumb) out indefinitely, general manager Mike Maccagnan is exploring the quarterback market -- free agents and possible trades. The NFL trading deadline is Tuesday.

Obviously, their sense of urgency will be dictated by Fitzpatrick's prognosis, the severity of Geno Smith's left-shoulder injury and their confidence in rookie Bryce Petty. Some possible names on their radar :

Zach Mettenberger, Tennessee Titans: The Titans (1-6) aren't going anywhere this season and they're committed long term to Marcus Mariota, which could make the strong-armed Mettenberger expendable. His availability could depend on Mariota's health; he has missed the last two games with a knee injury.

Matt Flynn, free agent: He spent three weeks with the Jets in the preseason, so he has a basic familiarity with Chan Gailey's system. He was an emergency acquisition in the aftermath of Geno Smith's jaw injury, and he left in style, hoisting this fabulous Bloody.

Ryan Mallett, free agent: Maccagnan is familiar with Mallett because of their previous ties to the Houston Texans, which means he may know enough about Mallett to stay away. He has a big arm, but there's plenty of baggage. Don't see this happening.

Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins: Obviously, he has no future in D.C. The Redskins probably would trade him for a pack of gum, but there are other factors to consider. His salary next year, guaranteed for injury only at this point, is $16.2 million. The team could be on the hook for the 2016 salary if he suffers a major injury. He'd add a lot of drama, though, wouldn't he?

Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: It's similar to the Mettenberger situation. The Bucs are building around Jameis Winston, so maybe they'd take a draft pick for a player who probably never will see the field unless Winston is injured.

Michael Vick, Pittsburgh Steelers: Been there, done that.

Tim Tebow, free agent: Kidding.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55668/exploring-jets-quarterback-options-in-free-agency-trade-market

Archived