Show me......Mattttttt Stafford

Lego My Lageman

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lying.  Straight up lying right there.  Kaep and RG3 were the toast of the NFL in 2012.  Kaep's Niners put up 45 points on the Packers in the playoffs.  45.

Sure, we had those couple of years where running QBs were the toast of the NFL. I did not say Kaepernick was not successful during that time period. The guy was on a loaded team and came in midseason with a completely different style from Alex Smith that teams had not been preparing for. Once he had played for a couple years and the team started to melt away what happened? He looks thoroughly unimpressive. His run game is great but his passing game is not anywhere close to the same level.

Who we have doesn't equate in the conversation . Just because we have trash doesn't mean we saddle ourselves with someone else's trash just because it's slightly better. Especially when that trash is considerably more expensive. Everything Roadfan stated is pretty dead on. Stafford's decision making is atrocious. The moment Calvin Johnson went from all world to just outstanding and Stafford totally went to sh*t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not saying the guy is "worth" $17 million, but Hell on wheels he'd be the best QB we've had since probably Vinny's magical run. It's just funny to me that some of those who think Kaep and Stafford blow, still have hope for Geno. There is infinitely more evidence of Stafford or Kaep being useful than Geno going forward.

Sure, we had those couple of years where running QBs were the toast of the NFL. I did not say Kaepernick was not successful during that time period. The guy was on a loaded team and came in midseason with a completely different style from Alex Smith that teams had not been preparing for. Once he had played for a couple years and the team started to melt away what happened? He looks thoroughly unimpressive. His run game is great but his passing game is not anywhere close to the same level.

what about no weapons (when crabtree and vernon davis hurt, his numbers took a dump), team unloaded crabtree, unloaded Gore, their defense had 15 surprise retirements... guy has no weaponzzz and awful defense. It's like the west coast Eagles over there.

what about no weapons (when crabtree and vernon davis hurt, his numbers took a dump), team unloaded crabtree, unloaded Gore, their defense had 15 surprise retirements... guy has no weaponzzz and awful defense. It's like the west coast Eagles over there.

Well part of that was Kaepernick's giant ass contract but that's not really his fault the team overpaid on his contract.

I think that plays as much into my argument as any other. Sure, 99% of QBs will look worse as a team degrades around them but a great QB will still put a sh*t team on his back and try to make something happen. Just look at how mediocre Manning's Colts always looked but still manufactured success. When you take a QB who isn't great and stick him on a team loaded with talent then it's easy for him to maximize his talents, cover up his flaws, and look great. That was Kaepernick in 2012-13. Once you took away a top tier team he stopped looking like even an average rank QB. I'm not saying he's Geno but he's also should not even be considered in a discussion of great QBs.

Well part of that was Kaepernick's giant ass contract but that's not really his fault the team overpaid on his contract.

I think that plays as much into my argument as any other. Sure, 99% of QBs will look worse as a team degrades around them but a great QB will still put a sh*t team on his back and try to make something happen. Just look at how mediocre Manning's Colts always looked but still manufactured success. When you take a QB who isn't great and stick him on a team loaded with talent then it's easy for him to maximize his talents, cover up his flaws, and look great. That was Kaepernick in 2012-13. Once you took away a top tier team he stopped looking like even an average rank QB. I'm not saying he's Geno but he's also should not even be considered in a discussion of great QBs.

He's not an all time great but if he's cut by SanFran Jets would be nuts not to take a look imho

I'd rather have Jay cutler.

Choosing between Cutler and Stafford is like choosing between Ponderosa and Golden Corral.  At first glance things look good but after further inspection the food quality is cafeteria-like, the servers are all 60 year old women with bee-hive mullets and  coffee stained teeth (who work extremely hard btw for lousy tips)... and you leave disappointed with an upset stomach.

Not saying the guy is "worth" $17 million, but Hell on wheels he'd be the best QB we've had since probably Vinny's magical run. It's just funny to me that some of those who think Kaep and Stafford blow, still have hope for Geno. There is infinitely more evidence of Stafford or Kaep being useful than Geno going forward.

You keep bringing Geno into this. Unless Fitz gets hurt Geno's done as a Jet. That's obvious. This thread is about trading for Stafford, which would be a monumental mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone even MENTIONED the fact that we have sitting right there on the bench there is a kid named Bryce Petty who for all we know, might just be the future of this team. I've seen him back there and he looks pretty damn solid and before I want to see the Jets go and throw out millions and millions of dollars at a mediocre and not so young QB like a Matthew Stafford, first I want to know for sure that we don't already have someone who is better. 

Also, I'm not ready to give up on Geno Shmits just yet, yes I wrote that, During the Philly game I was perfectly willing to see whether or not Geno could rally the team and win the game as unlikely a scenario that would have been. (no way does a pro coach bench a starter that way in this day and age) if Bowles had the chance to do it, say a not very seriously injured Fitz type of situation.  

You see, I'm not a hypocrite either for thinking that way, I'm a Jets fan and I want to see the Jets win-regardless of who it takes to get that done i could care less-I'm not a Geno-hater or lover or Fitz-lover or hater I'm a team lover and the team I love is the New York Jets period end of story.

Huh?  They had Marvin Harrison and drafted Reggie Wayne.  They also had Edgerrin James.  In Denver he's had Demaryius and Welker (and I think even Decker his 1st year there).  Manning has always had good weapons to work with.  Tom Brady on the other hand took the Pats to the SB one year with (I think) Troy Brown as his best WR.  I know we're not supposed to praise the enemy but I've got to give credit where it's due.

He makes more then Brady and the next 2 years he's over 20 million both years..  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/matthew-stafford/

I see him due $17M and $16.5M the next 2 years. Still a lot, but millions short of being over $20M.

He's only over $20M for Detroit. For anyone else, like the Jets, he'd be millions less.

And he sucks. Rocket arm. Rock head.

You make it sound like, without good and healthy weapons he's Geno Smith. With weapons he's good enough to get you to the superbowl. So using your logic, we need to put Geno Smith in at QB with weapons then he'll be good enough to get us to the superbowl. Like Kaepernick. Hell, as an unready rookie with (what I've read was) the worst coaching ever, we went 8-8 with him with no weapons on offense except like a half dozen healthy games from Ivory. And half our wins Ivory was either injured or did nothing while healthy.

So I'll mark you down as wanting to see Geno with multiple healthy weapons.

You make it sound like, without good and healthy weapons he's Geno Smith. With weapons he's good enough to get you to the superbowl. So using your logic, we need to put Geno Smith in at QB with weapons then he'll be good enough to get us to the superbowl. Like Kaepernick. Hell, as an unready rookie with (what I've read was) the worst coaching ever, we went 8-8 with him with no weapons on offense except like a half dozen healthy games from Ivory. And half our wins Ivory was either injured or did nothing while healthy.

So I'll mark you down as wanting to see Geno with multiple healthy weapons.

Oh Lord, it was sarcasm, brah. The campaign continues against those who have billions of excuses for Geno but squawk every other player that falters is a worthless bum.

Stafford could use a change of scenery for sure.  Detroit was a decent team last year but has regressed.  But last year when Stafford played the Jets that was a pretty capable QB I saw.  The question is: is he worth passing on what Bryce Petty could be?  Given Petty's physical gifts, if he figures it out, he could be a better choice for long-term QB of the future.

Choosing between Cutler and Stafford is like choosing between Ponderosa and Golden Corral.  At first glance things look good but after further inspection the food quality is cafeteria-like, the servers are all 60 year old women with bee-hive mullets and  coffee stained teeth (who work extremely hard btw for lousy tips)... and you leave disappointed with an upset stomach.

cutler >>>>>> Stafford 

That's what happens when all you've had lately are never-was QB's.  Grass always seems greener with someone else.  No one should be advocating trading for or paying these guys $16-17M.  But they're better than what we've had.  Whatever Kaep became, do you remember how good he looked on his Super Bowl Run in 2012?  Dude threw for 263 yards and ran for 181 against the Packers.  He followed that up with an efficient 16-21 day against Atlanta and 364 total yards against the Ravens in the Super Bowl. 

When have we had a QB who could ever have done something like that?  Can you really blame the Niners for signing him to a mega-extension after that?  We would have fallen in love with the guy.  Yet people are acting like he always was trash.  Please.  You have people making excuses for Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith around these parts.  The minute we get a QB who can do what Kaep did for just one postseason he'd be treated like a god.

Stafford stinks and isn't worth trading for especially at his insane cap #.  Karpernick looks like Geno without a top 3 OL, Gore and Crabtree and Harbaugh micromanaging him.

Enough with the bs that either one of these clowns would be our best Qb since '98 Vinny that's simply not true.

Stafford stinks and isn't worth trading for especially at his insane cap #.  Karpernick looks like Geno without a top 3 OL, Gore and Crabtree and Harbaugh micromanaging him.

Enough with the bs that either one of these clowns would be our best Qb since '98 Vinny that's simply not true.

It is true, with the exception of the first 11 games of the Favre 2008 season and the 2002 Pennington season.  This is how bad our QB's have been.  And I never, ever advocated trading for them.  Stop putting words in my mouth.

Only way the lions even consider letting him go is if they end up falling in love with one of the rookie QBs coming into the NFL this year and even then they aren't going to let Stafford go cheap. He is a decent QB which is hard to find.

if the lions finish say 2-14 and have a chance to take Cook with a top pick they will try to trade Stafford.  I just hope we're not dumb enough to get him.

Nobody is trading for Stafford with that contract.  Look, DET has weapons right now.  They are by no means devoid of talent.  That does not explain why Stafford has regressed.  Calvin Johnson has regressed from an all world legendary receiver to a darn good one, still top 10.  Stafford has relied on him so heavily that he never developed as a well rounded QB.  His mechanics are terrible.  He's terrible at reading Defenses.  Calvin Johnson isn't pulling down 80 yard bombs and jump balls like he used to, and Stafford is now left to rely on his own skills of scanning the field and he is just not very good at that.  Now is Stafford hits the market and a reasonable contract is a possibility, then I'd say sure we go for him because as bad as I think he is, he's better than what we have.  But my suspicion is some team will still pay the kid a boatload of money even if he hits the open market and I really don't want to be that team. 

Huh?  They had Marvin Harrison and drafted Reggie Wayne.  They also had Edgerrin James.  In Denver he's had Demaryius and Welker (and I think even Decker his 1st year there).  Manning has always had good weapons to work with.  Tom Brady on the other hand took the Pats to the SB one year with (I think) Troy Brown as his best WR.  I know we're not supposed to praise the enemy but I've got to give credit where it's due.

it's amazing how people always make excuses for peyton.  he has consistently had the best weapons in the league since day 1.  some years it hasn't been as good but overall on a consistent, year to year basis he has had the best.  Brady led a dynasty w/ Troy as his #1(Troy was good but would be a #3-4 at best on most of Peyton's teams).  Brady made a conf title game w/ reche Caldwell and jabar Gaffney as his main weapons. there's no comparison btw Brady and Manning.

if the lions finish say 2-14 and have a chance to take Cook with a top pick they will try to trade Stafford.  I just hope we're not dumb enough to get him.

They might honestly be better off suckering someone else into trading for the pick. Stafford is a decent QB I would put him in the same tier as Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco. they are not and probably will never be elite QBs in the NFL but they are decent.

They might honestly be better off suckering someone else into trading for the pick. Stafford is a decent QB I would put him in the same tier as Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco. they are not and probably will never be elite QBs in the NFL but they are decent.

Stafford is not as good as Flacco or Ryan not even close.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived