2015-16 NCAA Basketball

nyjunc

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, AzogtheDefiler said:

I wish the rule was a min of two yrs in college.

There probably shouldn't be any rule to make them go to college.  I think if they want to declare out of HS they should be able to but if they decide to go to college they should be there for 2-3 years like baseball does it.

On 3/23/2016 at 0:37 PM, nyjunc said:

There probably shouldn't be any rule to make them go to college.  I think if they want to declare out of HS they should be able to but if they decide to go to college they should be there for 2-3 years like baseball does it.

I'd be cool with that!

On 3/26/2016 at 8:12 AM, afosomf said:

EAst bracket was so weak and Kansas bracket was so stacked go figure

The east bracket was loaded, some teams got picked off.  It happens.  Kansas' bracket was not tough at all until the elite 8 and, as usual, Bill Self couldn't get the job done.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

The east bracket was loaded, some teams got picked off.  It happens.  Kansas' bracket was not tough at all until the elite 8 and, as usual, Bill Self couldn't get the job done.

all the experts had Kansas's bracket as the toughest,  Best team UNC played was Indiana a 5th seed, BIG 10 blows and UNC a walkthru to final game. Nova was the 5th best team and should not have been in Kansas bracket. SEC was also weak this yr, Kentucky was not great this yr.

46 minutes ago, afosomf said:

all the experts had Kansas's bracket as the toughest,  Best team UNC played was Indiana a 5th seed, BIG 10 blows and UNC a walkthru to final game. Nova was the 5th best team and should not have been in Kansas bracket. SEC was also weak this yr, Kentucky was not great this yr.

some teams got upset but going into the Tourney the region looked very difficult.  Duke had an easier run to the Sweet 16 than Carolina did and duke was an overseeded 4 seed.

Indiana should have been higher than a 5, the Big 10 was probably 2nd best conf along w/ Big 12 this year.

UK wasn't great yet 90% of "experts" picked them to come out of the East region.  

Just now, nyjunc said:

some teams got upset but going into the Tourney the region looked very difficult.  Duke had an easier run to the Sweet 16 than Carolina did and duke was an overseeded 4 seed.

Indiana should have been higher than a 5, the Big 10 was probably 2nd best conf along w/ Big 12 this year.

UK wasn't great yet 90% of "experts" picked them to come out of the East region.  

duke went as far as they were going to go, i had them out after 2nd rd

Just now, afosomf said:

duke went as far as they were going to go, i had them out after 2nd rd

if they don't shoot 43 FTs to 19 in rd 1 they lose round 1.  I am glad the media finally picked up on the lack of class w/ K.  he does this stuff every time duke loses, always deflects from the loss.  I am glad he was outed as a liar, something many of us already knew.

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

if they don't shoot 43 FTs to 19 in rd 1 they lose round 1.  I am glad the media finally picked up on the lack of class w/ K.  he does this stuff every time duke loses, always deflects from the loss.  I am glad he was outed as a liar, something many of us already knew.

better be a liar than a cheater

53 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

who is a cheater?  there's more actual evidence of cheating around K's program than Roy's.

stop it, the no show classes, the nanny's writing term papers, if this was Kentucky they would have been hit  like SMU

2 minutes ago, afosomf said:

stop it, the no show classes, the nanny's writing term papers, if this was Kentucky they would have been hit  like SMU

you have no clue what you are talking about but you may want to look up the sociology program and about the Lance Thomas situation.  

enjoy watching the Final Four.

On 3/28/2016 at 4:51 PM, nyjunc said:

you have no clue what you are talking about but you may want to look up the sociology program and about the Lance Thomas situation.  

enjoy watching the Final Four.

oh really

An entire university rocked by decades-long academic fraud. An athletics program -- and its crown-jewel basketball team, now the favorite to win the 2016 national title -- still waiting for the NCAA to tease out its culpability.

A brief refresher: Between 1993 and 2011, Dr. Julius Nyang'oro, chair of UNC's Department of African and Afro-American Studies, and Debby Crowder, the department's student-services manager, "developed and ran a 'shadow curriculum' within the AFAM Department that provided students with academically flawed instruction through the offering of 'paper classes,' " according to the UNC-commissioned Wainstein Report released in 2014. These classes:

... involved no interaction with a faculty member, required no class attendance or course work other than a single paper, and resulted in consistently high grades that Crowder awarded without reading the papers or otherwise evaluating their true quality. ... It became common knowledge among certain quarters of the student and student-athlete body that Crowder did not grade paper-class papers with a discriminating eye and that a student could receive a high grade for turning in a paper of any quality. As a result, a significant proportion of the papers submitted in these classes included large amounts of unoriginal text. In a number of cases, students submitted papers with original introductions and conclusions, but with copied "fluff" text in between, because they knew that Crowder typically just skimmed the beginning and the end of a paper before awarding a high grade.

Which is completely insane. Yet, despite the disproportionate ratio of UNC athletes enrolled in these classes, and the known "steering" (and then some) by academic advisors in the athletics department toward these low-effort GPA boosters, the AFAM's sham classes were available to every student at UNC-Chapel Hill.

This has put the NCAA in an incredibly awkward position. This is an organization whose entire existence is tied to the "student" half of "student-athlete." It is also one whose rules purview is ostensibly restricted to sports, and which has no interest in what an expanded definition of its role might entail. For example: In a 2015 suit filed by two former Tar Heels athletes, NCAA lawyers wrote that the organization "did not assume a duty to ensure the quality of the education of student-athletes."

Meanwhile, last August, North Carolina's never-ending case was delayed further by UNC's announcement that it had found additional violations in women's basketball and men's soccer -- findings that would (totally coincidentally!) delay any eventual committee on infractions ruling.

In the meantime, North Carolina took the opposite approach to its opponent Saturday. It declined to self-impose any punishment -- for now.

And, for now, that decision has paid off. After a four-year title drought, Roy Williams' deep, balanced team turned a preseason No. 1 ranking into an outright regular-season title, an ACC tournament crown, a No. 1 seed and, now, a crack at the Final Four.

Throughout it all, Williams has talked openly about how much pain the academic scandal has caused him -- not only as a coach, or as a recruiter, but as a genuinely proud UNC alum. How it caused "people [to question] my integrity for the first time in my life." How he wouldn't retire after this season, predictions to the contrary, because he wanted to leave the program he (eventually) inherited from his iconic mentor, Dean Smith, on stable footing.

Meanwhile, his relationship with this particular group of Tar Heels is as strong, and as deeply felt, as any in his career. The memories they have given him -- from Marcus Paige's senior night speech to Williams' goofy, endearing, bum-knee-and-all postgame dances -- are happening in real time. The actual basketball, and the players playing it, have been, by his own account, Williams' "salvation."

"It's not just a workplace for me," Williams said this week. "It's been painful, it's been hurtful. This group of kids have helped me focus on basketball. It's been a sweet, sweet run. Hopefully we can do some more. Coming down to Houston, hopefully people will focus on the game, my players, what they're accomplishing, not the other stuff we don't have any control over."

None of the current Tar Heels were remotely involved in the AFAM scandal. Williams himself was never directly implicated. The school's decision not to rip away that group's chance at an NCAA tournament preemptively might or might not have been a canny cost-benefit analysis. Either way, it was the right thing to do.

In return, they've played great basketball. Sometimes, when the shots are falling, North Carolina is downright sublime.

"I'm really hopeful that will be the story down there," Williams said.

The hearing is called to order, and there you are ...

Williams' hope isn't misplaced. North Carolina's play on the floor, the chemistry that has helped create it, and the way that combination made a physically and emotionally pained coach look like a 10-year-old kid in those oversized, sideways hats -- that's a story.

you do know more non athletes took those classes than athletes, right?

when proof can be shown that men's basketball steered players to these classes and kept them eligible by that they will deserve to be punished.  Unfortunately for the tar Heel haters there isn't any proof of that.  Enjoy watching the Heels play for a National title.

200.gif

On 4/1/2016 at 9:00 AM, nyjunc said:

you do know more non athletes took those classes than athletes, right?

when proof can be shown that men's basketball steered players to these classes and kept them eligible by that they will deserve to be punished.  Unfortunately for the tar Heel haters there isn't any proof of that.  Enjoy watching the Heels play for a National title.

200.gif

well there are more Non-athlete students mon, proves the whole school is a sham,

3 hours ago, no psls said:

Sooners taking a beating .

Syracuse too, but nowhere near as bad.  At least they showed up.  Have there been more than 1 or 2 good games in this tournament since the opening weekend.

On 4/3/2016 at 8:18 PM, afosomf said:

well there are more Non-athlete students mon, proves the whole school is a sham,

Actually no, you should do more research.  regular students made up the majority in those classes.  

Enjoy the game tonight!

On 4/3/2016 at 10:48 PM, Lith said:

Syracuse too, but nowhere near as bad.  At least they showed up.  Have there been more than 1 or 2 good games in this tournament since the opening weekend.

Easily one of the worst tourneys I can ever remember...and that's going back to the mid '90s. Between the abnormally high parity this year and the lack of a truly good/dominant team in the field, we got a really fun first round which has led to generally bad basketball since. 

12 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Easily one of the worst tourneys I can ever remember...and that's going back to the mid '90s. Between the abnormally high parity this year and the lack of a truly good/dominant team in the field, we got a really fun first round which has led to generally bad basketball since. 

Totally aside, good to see 2 former "BIG EAST" teams in there.  I was in college in the 80's.  Great funn with SJU, Nova, Cuse, Goown etc.

My daughter is an alum of UNC so I am totally Sky Blue tonite but against anyone else, im for Villanova.

I used CAPS above just for you my love.:thumbup:

15 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

the only dominant team last year lost in the Final Four.  This Tourney had been a GREAT one until this weekend w/ the 2 blowouts.  one of the best in recent years and the parity talk is garbage.  the team that won the title last year didn't win their conf reg season or postseason.

don't be upset b/c the field wasn't as weak as '11 or '14 where UConn could make miracle runs.

49 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Totally aside, good to see 2 former "BIG EAST" teams in there.  I was in college in the 80's.  Great funn with SJU, Nova, Cuse, Goown etc.

My daughter is an alum of UNC so I am totally Sky Blue tonite but against anyone else, im for Villanova.

I used CAPS above just for you my love.:thumbup:

Hahah, good to see you too CPA!

56 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the only dominant team last year lost in the Final Four.  This Tourney had been a GREAT one until this weekend w/ the 2 blowouts.  one of the best in recent years and the parity talk is garbage.  the team that won the title last year didn't win their conf reg season or postseason.

don't be upset b/c the field wasn't as weak as '11 or '14 where UConn could make miracle runs.

Pretty much widely panned as one of the worst tourneys in recent memory, plus all of the parity talk has been legit all season, plus statistically one of the weakest fields in the past decade.....all facts. Yet, here nyjunk is, unable to deal in the reality that everyone else deals in. 

If it has to do with brady, sanchez, or tar heels, you're literally unapproachable. As batsh*t crazy and blind to any type of unbiased discussions as anyone I've ever encountered in real life or on any of the various forums I frequent. 

Go ahead and tell yourself whatever you'd like. Your team is the favorite tonight, and will probably win, so you'll finally be able to feel good about yourself for the first time all decade. Bask in it. You'll finally understand how amazing it feels to feel what I've felt with MY (I stress the my, because I actually am an alum of the school I cheer for) UConn Huskies twice in just the past five years, let alone 4 times in the last 20. 

30 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Pretty much widely panned as one of the worst tourneys in recent memory, plus all of the parity talk has been legit all season, plus statistically one of the weakest fields in the past decade.....all facts. Yet, here nyjunk is, unable to deal in the reality that everyone else deals in. 

If it has to do with brady, sanchez, or tar heels, you're literally unapproachable. As batsh*t crazy and blind to any type of unbiased discussions as anyone I've ever encountered in real life or on any of the various forums I frequent. 

Go ahead and tell yourself whatever you'd like. Your team is the favorite tonight, and will probably win, so you'll finally be able to feel good about yourself for the first time all decade. Bask in it. You'll finally understand how amazing it feels to feel what I've felt with MY (I stress the my, because I actually am an alum of the school I cheer for) UConn Huskies twice in just the past five years, let alone 4 times in the last 20. 

by who? up until the FF this tourney was one of the best in recent memory.

actually statistically it was not one of the weakest fields though if not for UConn winning a weak conference they don't even make the tourney.

so now that you have nothing to back up your Awful post with you choose to attack me in order to deflect.  Nice job.

My team may or may not win, this is not the strongest field of all time but it's similar to every other year in this era.  There have been very few dominant teams over the last 15-20 years.

1996 UK

1998 UNC

1999 UConn/duke

2005 UNC/Illinois

2007 Florida

2008 UNC/KU/UCLA

2009 UNC

2012 UK/UNC

2015 UK

I have experienced just as many titles for Carolina w/ a million more final fours and I have been a fan of the program a lot longer than you w/ UConn so it feels great.  Thank you for the well wishes though.

good luck tomorrow night too!

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

going back to this post.  Carolina and 'Nova have been dominant in this Tourney:

Carolina won each game by at least 14 points, winning by an average of 16 PPG(and if they win by double figures tonight I believe they join the 2009 Heels as the only teams to do that in the expanded Tourney)

'Nova has won by an average of 24 PPG(had one close game w/ KU)

sometimes you just need to open your eyes rather than open your mouth.

Big East never ruled(outside of a year here and there).

Carolina is undefeated against Big East teams in NCAA Championship games(they are 1-0 having beat Georgetown in 1982:D)

75-70 is a great score(was score when Carolina beat Illinois for the title in 2005) but hopefully the good guys have 75.

Archived