Hate to see this: Brandon Marshall up to his old ways?

HighPitch

How long have we both been posting here? And you think you're going to talk me into a player based on 6 games' worth of receiving yards?

Career ranks, DYAR (total value): 31st, 39th, 24th, 35th, 18th, 16th, 10th, 46th

Career ranks, DVOA (play-by-play value): 54th, 58th, 38th, 54th, 36th, 46th, 22nd, 48th

Career catch rate: 60%, 57%, 66%, 59%, 57%, 61%, 61%, 58%

So far this year he's at 17th, 24th, and 68% (in other words: decent) and unless he's become a completely different player in his age-31 season, I fully expect that last number to regress (given his 4/7 in the Patriots game, it may well be regressing already).

As for the things he's DOING, all I can tell you is every excited, forgiving, enthusiastic, and hopeful word written about Marshall here is a carbon copy of something Bears fans said in October 2012. So yes, I will keep the AK-47 handy for when Marshall goes for < 50 yards in a loss to some bum-ass team and decides to take a swing at Folk in the locker room.

I feel like you just used it. 

How long have we both been posting here? And you think you're going to talk me into a player based on 6 games' worth of receiving yards?

Career ranks, DYAR (total value): 31st, 39th, 24th, 35th, 18th, 16th, 10th, 46th

Career ranks, DVOA (play-by-play value): 54th, 58th, 38th, 54th, 36th, 46th, 22nd, 48th

So far this year he's at 17th, 24th, and 68% (in other words: decent) and unless he's become a completely different player in his age-31 season, I fully expect that last number to regress (given his 4/7 in the Patriots game, it may well be regressing already).

As for the things he's DOING, all I can tell you is every excited, forgiving, enthusiastic, and hopeful word written about Marshall here is a carbon copy of something Bears fans said in October 2012. So yes, I will keep the AK-47 handy for when Marshall goes for < 50 yards in a loss to some bum-ass team and decides to take a swing at Folk in the locker room.

Well there go;'s 80's virginity.

Do you really put full stock in these FO evaluations though?

John Brown is 2nd and Rishard Matthews is 4th in DYAR rankings. Do you think those are top 5 receivers? 

A.J. Green DYAR Rank: 29th, 20th, 22nd; DVOA Rank 38th, 41st, 33rd

DeAndre Hopkins DYAR Rank: 21st, 36th; DVOA: 29th, 29th

Yup. both are stiffs.

Well, there you have it.  Brandon Marshall sucks at Football.  

It's no wonder the offense sucks and he looks so pedestrian out there. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000567391/article/brandon-marshall-on-greg-hardy-i-dont-think-he-gets-it

Brandon Marshall on Greg Hardy: I don't think he gets it

Say what you will about Jets wideout Brandon Marshall and his appearances on Showtime's Inside The NFL, but there are some people -- including me -- who find it extremely valuable.

Marshall is providing a current player's perspective and is not afraid of hitting certain issues head on. That meant talking about Dallas Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy this week.

"When I look at Greg and how he's handled himself, on the field and in the locker room, I see a guy that is not aware," Marshall said on the Tuesday night program, via ESPN.com. "He doesn't understand the magnitude of what happened last year, what he did and the atmosphere surrounding the NFL.

"I don't think that he gets it. I don't think that he learned his lesson. And he really needs to look himself in the mirror and ask himself, 'What type of person do I want to be?'"

Marshall's career has not been without controversy, but he has emerged an incredibly honest and valuable member of the NFL's media community. Often, player-analysts become overly -- and incorrectly -- brash or they retreat into the brotherhood that suggests whatever happens in a locker room stays that way.

Rarely do we have a player willing to come out and say what needs to be said about a fellow player. Clearly, Hardy does not get it. He didn't get it during his tone deaf comments about guns and other players' wives and he didn't get it on Sunday after he went into a special teams huddle and slapped the clipboard of special teams coach Rich Bisaccia. Maybe it will help having a fellow player provide the mirror.

A.J. Green DYAR Rank: 29th, 20th, 22nd; DVOA Rank 38th, 41st, 33rd

DeAndre Hopkins DYAR Rank: 21st, 36th; DVOA: 29th, 29th

Yup. both are stiffs.

Yes, that's precisely what the stats say. In fact--and I'm a little embarrassed I didn't already know this--DVOA apparently stands for DeAndre Hopkins And A.J. Green Are Very Obviously A Couple Of Stiffs. 

Marshall has the pedigree to correct Devin Smith. If Devin Smith was playing with Tom Brady he'd probably get more of an earful than Marshall gave him. I don't want a soft dumb receiver. If Devin takes it as negative than F him, he's a rookie learning on the job in the NFL. Brady has guys shipped out that don't ship up & do their jobs.

Marshall has the pedigree to correct Devin Smith. If Devin Smith was playing with Tom Brady he'd probably get more of an earful than Marshall gave him. I don't want a soft dumb receiver. If Devin takes it as negative than F him, he's a rookie learning on the job in the NFL. Brady has guys shipped out that don't ship up & do their jobs.

then marshall should have the pedigree to not make dumb lateral plays and drop td passes late in division games when 1st place is on the line.

If you actually read or saw his comments, you would know this is actually quite the opposite -- Marshall was miffed at D. Smith for not getting his assignment right in lining up on the last play, which impacted Marshall getting set because he was trying to redirect Smith. Chicago press is trying to spin this into a "problem"  because Chicago is watching Marshall tear things up with the Jets and behave well. What a surprise.

Something that could become a problem is Marshall appearing on Inside the NFL. In this latest episode he is critical of Greg Hardy and I think that could be a problem down the road. First of all as an active player Marshall should NOT offer any opinions at all. He wasn't there, he doesn't know what was said and the Jets have to play Dallas down the road. I don't think active players should be on shows like this, especially when asked to opine on other active players on other teams.

BRANDON MARSHALL THINKS GREG HARDY IS A KNUCKLE DRAGGING MORON WHO SHOULD BE DEPORTED AND THEN MURDERED

"When I look at Greg and how he's handled himself, on the field and in the locker room, I see a guy that is not aware," Marshall said during a discussion on Showtime's "Inside the NFL" that was broadcast Tuesday night. "He doesn't understand the magnitude of what happened last year, what he did and the atmosphere surrounding the NFL. "I don't think that he gets it. I don't think that he learned his lesson. And he really needs to look himself in the mirror and ask himself, 'What type of person do I want to be?'"

Sour grapes from a beat writer who covers the team that gave up a top 5 NFL receiver for a 5th round pick. 

is this the same numbnut who said we were stupid for giving up a 5 for Marshall?  And that we would live to regret it!  That it's an example of why we suck? 

Archived