MLB Hot Stove - Offseason Thread (2015-2016 Edition)

Morrissey

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Castro seemed to get worse every year. Not sure a move to the AL East is going to help that. 

Well 2014 was a really good year for him, but that was sandwiched in-between 2 pretty bad years. Change of scenery might help, also the fact he's only 25 years old. With age might come more consistency. 

Well 2014 was a really good year for him, but that was sandwiched in-between 2 pretty bad years. Change of scenery might help, also the fact he's only 25 years old. With age might come more consistency. 

He came on strong last year, particularly when Cubs moved him to 2B

D-Backs got Miller and DIDN'T give up Pollock? Wow, they are doing a heck of a job this offseason. 

Dansby Swanson, who was just picked 1st overall in the June draft is heading to ATL, wow. Along with Ender Inciarte and others. Hard to imagine anyone trading the number 1 pick so soon, Miller just might be worth it though. 

Castro seemed to get worse every year. Not sure a move to the AL East is going to help that. 

I'm not a big fan.  He's never walked even 40 times in a season, had an OBP under 300 in 2 of the last 3, and isn't really cheap.

The Yanks must really not like Refsnyder for whatever reason.  I'm not saying he's an All Star by any stretch, but I bet he can get on base 30 percent of the time.  Unless Castro has a REALLY good glove.

I'm not a big fan.  He's never walked even 40 times in a season, had an OBP under 300 in 2 of the last 3, and isn't really cheap.

The Yanks must really not like Refsnyder for whatever reason.  I'm not saying he's an All Star by any stretch, but I bet he can get on base 30 percent of the time.  Unless Castro has a REALLY good glove.

Castro's upside>>>>>>>> Refs. And Castro has shown it, being an All Star 3 times already. We really didn't give up much either, the only part I'm not in love with is the 38 million. But at the same time if he blossoms and becomes consistent then thats peanuts. But after a down 2015 i was hoping Cubs would kick some money in. 

Obviously I'm wrong, but I didn't think you could trade a pick for at least a year after drafting him.

they got rid of that rule within the last year. I remember a trade being made last off season where the best prospect in the deal was "Player to be named later" They had to wait until June for them to actually trade him. The player was twiddling his thumbs for 5 months until he could go to his new teams facilities. But at least it led to the policy change.

Castro's upside>>>>>>>> Refs. And Castro has shown it, being an All Star 3 times already. We really didn't give up much either, the only part I'm not in love with is the 38 million. But at the same time if he blossoms and becomes consistent then thats peanuts. But after a down 2015 i was hoping Cubs would kick some money in. 

I really really really hope you are right.   Really.

they got rid of that rule within the last year. I remember a trade being made last off season where the best prospect in the deal was "Player to be named later" They had to wait until June for them to actually trade him. The player was twiddling his thumbs for 5 months until he could go to his new teams facilities. But at least it led to the policy change.

Thanks

I think they did it originally because they didn't want teams trading draft picks, and there by not trading players right after they were drafted as a way of getting around it.

Yankees continue to add youth with high upside Aaron Hicks (26) and Starlin Castro (25). After doing so last year with Didi and Eovaldi. Cashman does have a plan it seems. Really puts us in better shape and makes us more felixble moving forward until these terrible contracts expire.

What you are looking for with Castro is a .280-300 avg, 15 home runs with solid defense at 2B.

Oh, if you can get that, great.  Like I said, I hope it works.

And, to be honest, I've never seen him play.  With a job and 3 kids I don't get to watch much.  All I can do is google his numbers.

Archived