Is it fair to judge Geno Smith on this one game?

EM31

Geno has been wronged by Idzik, Rex, IK, western time zones, awful WRs in 2013, awful stewardesses in 2014, awful defenses in 2015, and wronged by the incompetence of Bowles.  

It is not fair to judge Geno.

it was Siri's fault. She set his Iphone wrong. 

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just can't look past his decision making and leadership. The team looked completely lost with him under center, that will probably be blamed on practice time but I think it's much more than that. Unfortunately it looks like Geno will get his shot next week.. and fortunately it's against the Jaguars and the Jets will beat them handily. So let's see what he's got.

Let's go get Mike Glennon and put all of this to bed.

Team didn't look lost. We moved the ball really well considering we had no run game. And then our D kept giving up scores every time after we scored so he never got a chance to catch up. When he did, it was the 4th quarter with us down 17 points. Couple of bad sacks and some really bad/questionable coaching decisions contributed to the overall loss, along with the D not showing up.

Mike Glennon has won how many games? You're strictly going on stats and if you do that, Geno's stats were pretty good.

It's not on Chan Gailey to work miracles. He's an NFL OC not JC.  

If that is your standard then so be it. My standard is not for him to work miracles. I do think it's for him to remind his QB of the situation as many times as it takes. I don't think he did that with Smith, and I don't think he did that with Fitzpatrick. 

He is not absolved of doing more because some think he shouldn't have to. That makes as much sense, and is about as productive, as lamenting about how life isn't fair. In reality, it's a given that it isn't fair. And it's likewise a given that Geno Smith doesn't have Peyton Manning's situational awareness.

Reminding him he can't' hold it for 4 seconds and take a sack EVERY PLAY - just like telling Fitzpatrick not to throw to the middle of the field with no time/no TOs left - is not asking him to work miracles (wherever that idea came from). It's asking him to do whatever is in his power to make his obviously-flawed QBs act less flawed. 

It's amazing how bad the media is right now.  Like it was his fault the defense didn't show up.  I thought he was pretty good.  Sure, he made some mistakes, but it's his first game back with little reps.  He threw the ball nicely, moved the chains often.  Threw a couple of TD's...

So many people couldn't wait for this guy to fail...and even though he played well, he's getting hammered.  The entire team was horrid yesterday...

From what I saw, I see reason for optimism about Geno.  I'm excited!!!!

we will next Sunday against the jags. I expect Geno to play decent.  Big test will be the following Thursday in the Rex bowl

Maybe, the problem is he can only be a league average QB if he has the perfect team. Too bad the perfect team does not exist.

Please let me know when he is responsible for his own actions. I think 2 years of little or no improvement is plenty of time to judge him.

how did Fitz get chance #5,6,7,8?  after 2 years he was not good.  has Geno sucked through 2 years? yes but he never should have been playing year 1 and we have better talent and coaching than at any point now.  Let's see what he can do.  has he grown up? is he ready to lead? 

It's amazing how bad the media is right now.  Like it was his fault the defense didn't show up.  I thought he was pretty good.  Sure, he made some mistakes, but it's his first game back with little reps.  He threw the ball nicely, moved the chains often.  Threw a couple of TD's...

So many people couldn't wait for this guy to fail...and even though he played well, he's getting hammered.  The entire team was horrid yesterday...

From what I saw, I see reason for optimism about Geno.  I'm excited!!!!

I Don't Know why Fitz had more chances I think he bounced around as a back-up and got breaks along the way. Now that Fitz is hurt we should be moving on. This is half way through the season so why not see what Petty can do.  We KNOW what Geno is and its not a decent QB. So lets move on.

It's not on Chan Gailey to work miracles. He's an NFL OC not JC.  

The original title is a farce.

Unless EM has never seen Geno Smith before this week 

that might make sense 

"this one game" is flat out lying to yourself.  

Talk to the man in the mirror. Make that change. 

Last time the Tuna did that he ended up with the Cowboys..

there's not enough time in the universe to remind Geno "as many times as it takes" to do the right thing 

Maybe for you. Seems to me it would take 1-2 seconds after calling in the play, as Geno's walking to the line after breaking the huddle. What's so hard?

"Geno. No time left for a sack. 4 seconds maximum and the ball is out. Go."

or

[on a play where the #1 read is Decker 25 yards downfield] If he's not wide open check it down. We only need 3 yards. Go."

There's no indication he's giving his QB's - Geno or Fitz alike - any of these pre-snap "one last thing"isms. Watching the 2 of them, it looks like the opposite.

Maybe for you. Seems to me it would take 1-2 seconds after calling in the play, as Geno's walking to the line after breaking the huddle. What's so hard?

"Geno. No time left for a sack. 4 seconds maximum and the ball is out. Go."

or

[on a play where the #1 read is Decker 25 yards downfield] If he's not wide open check it down. We only need 3 yards. Go."

There's no indication he's giving his QB's - Geno or Fitz alike - any of these pre-snap "one last thing"isms. Watching the 2 of them, it looks like the opposite.

People think Geno is dumb it's not true. Geno Smith has always been book smart. In the classroom or taking the wonderlic he's well above average. He's great in the film room.  He works hard. He clearly wants to be a good player. 

When it's live however his brain breaks down and he chokes. You are assuming Geno can respond to instruction and it's on Gailey to give him more. The truth is the 2-3 seconds Geno gets to throw an NFL football during a televised game he can't think properly. He can either fixate on a target or bone it. He's not good in real reps and that's  not something a coach can fix. 

smart nice guys get more chances than pricks.

whether it be Kap, RG3, Geno, Mallet...these young kids seem as uncoachable as ever. Just outright dismissive to any critiques. Just doesn't seem they get there are so many things QB's need to do to justify themselves as being the guy...especially off the field. 

whether it be Kap, RG3, Geno, Mallet...these young kids seem as uncoachable as ever. Just outright dismissive to any critiques. Just doesn't seem they get there are so many things QB's need to do to justify themselves as being the guy...especially off the field. 

in any era you will find examples like that whether going back to jeff georghe, David Klingler, Todd marinovich, Ryan leaf, Andre ware, etc...

People think Geno is dumb it's not true. Geno Smith has always been book smart. In the classroom or taking the wonderlic he's well above average. He's great in the film room.  He works hard. He clearly wants to be a good player. 

When it's live however his brain breaks down and he chokes. You are assuming Geno can respond to instruction and it's on Gailey to give him more. The truth is the 2-3 seconds Geno gets to throw an NFL football during a televised game he can't think properly. He can either fixate on a target or bone it. He's not good in real reps and that's  not something a coach can fix. 

so he's a lot like Fitz?

so he's a lot like Fitz?

no.  fitz doesn't take unnecessary sacks, knows when to throw the ball away and gets through his reads quicker so he doesn't get sacked as often.  fitz does the little things that help you stay competitive in most games.  plus he's a natural leader who brings stability to the offense.

Therefore he needs what we all would like him to have as second nature, and which he does not have. And it is part of Gailey's responsibility to do whatever he needs to while the team is in this non-ideal situation. Not for fans to lament about how Gailey shouldn't have to, and wouldn't have to if only Geno didn't suck.

The truth is he was fine for most of the game. When it comes down to crunch-time, when he needs to have his head not only on the play but on the situation, he can't be relied upon in assuming he knows everything going on around him. I fail to see how this is in any way controversial.

nope but for others it did:

Cam Newton

Ben

Vick

Favre

etc...

geno does not have enough talent to overcome his other flaws.  that's what you seem to be missing here.  he does not have anything close to top 10 qb talent.  and of the 4 guys you mentioned, 3 of them have incredible instincts and feel for the qb position, which geno has never shown.  

no.  fitz doesn't take unnecessary sacks, knows when to throw the ball away and gets through his reads quicker so he doesn't get sacked as often.  fitz does the little things that help you stay competitive in most games.  plus he's a natural leader who brings stability to the offense.

well I'm glad he learned something after 11 years in the league.

Fitz is a better runner, Geno a better passer.  it leads to similar results.  geno had a very Fitz like game on Sunday but he didn't get 3-4-5 TOs and the D didn't stifle an opponent so we didn't win.

geno does not have enough talent to overcome his other flaws.  that's what you seem to be missing here.  he does not have anything close to top 10 qb talent.  and of the 4 guys you mentioned, 3 of them have incredible instincts and feel for the qb position, which geno has never shown.  

I am NOT saying geno will be half as good as those guys, I am not saying geno will be good but it's silly to dismiss him based on the 2 previous years.

I am NOT saying geno will be half as good as those guys, I am not saying geno will be good but it's silly to dismiss him based on the 2 previous years.

Geno will be 80 in a retirement home for bust QB's and someone will complain it's unfair to blame him for for passing gas at the dinner table..:)

No matter what QB the Jets sign,trade for or draft he will be ridiculed and hated. 

So true! Kaepernick is suffering from Sanchezitis. The team around him blows chunks. A great coach got him to 2 AFCCGs & a Super Bowl. Look at the players the 49ers lost it's INSANE! While we're extolling the QBing of Fitz, if you sent a healthy Fitz out to San Fran & started him they wouldn't win a game either. I think Jet fans are nuts that wouldn't want to trade for him if the price is right? Hell, send them Coples, Geno & a 3rd. Our 2nd & 3rd rounders are tearing it up this year,lol.

Many, many QBs have succeeded with a change of scenery. Study what the Panthers are doing with Cam. We have GOT to keep on taking chances to find a QB as long as it doesn't break the bank. If it fails it fails but Mac has to keep trying. At least Kaepernick is young enough to keep working at it. His spirit is broken, he's playing on a team with very little talent. Look at the year Andrew Luck is having. Dare to be bold, keep rustling the bushes, how many sh*tty moves have we made in our history on players that weren't QBs that didn't work out in the end? I'm hoping the 49ers benched him to trade him to the NY Jets! 

What's the worse that can happen? We haven't been in the playoffs since 2010 & have won the division twice I believe? 

If that is your standard then so be it. My standard is not for him to work miracles. I do think it's for him to remind his QB of the situation as many times as it takes. I don't think he did that with Smith, and I don't think he did that with Fitzpatrick. 

He is not absolved of doing more because some think he shouldn't have to. That makes as much sense, and is about as productive, as lamenting about how life isn't fair. In reality, it's a given that it isn't fair. And it's likewise a given that Geno Smith doesn't have Peyton Manning's situational awareness.

Reminding him he can't' hold it for 4 seconds and take a sack EVERY PLAY - just like telling Fitzpatrick not to throw to the middle of the field with no time/no TOs left - is not asking him to work miracles (wherever that idea came from). It's asking him to do whatever is in his power to make his obviously-flawed QBs act less flawed. 

Do you realize how many QBs are told this over and over and just don't get it? Do you not think every QB in the NFL knows these basics of the position? Is this some secret that only armchair QBs at home know? Do you think if you sat with Geno and said all that he would go "oh, no sh*t I wish Chan and every other coach I played for would've told me that!" Come on man, Geno knows all this, he's just not smart enough to process it in real time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geno lovers claim we can't judge him on 30+ games. Of course they will say you can't judge him on 1.

if we do he gets judged favorably b/c he played pretty well Sunday. if Fitz had the same game you guys would be telling us how great he was.

Archived