Dan Quinn

UnitedWhofans

Last Sunday, the Atlanta Falcons were at the goalline, down 4 under 3 to go. Dan Quinn decided to kick the FG. And got lambasted for it.

This Thursday, The Jets were down 5 about 3 to go and decided to go for it. They got lambasted. See the problem here?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/13/bowles-defends-decision-to-go-for-the-touchdown/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Last Sunday, the Atlanta Falcons were at the goalline, down 4 under 3 to go. Dan Quinn decided to kick the FG. And got lambasted for it.

This Thursday, The Jets were down 5 about 3 to go and decided to go for it. They got lambasted. See the problem here?

Yes. The "problem" is Bowles had trouble with simple math. Down 12 means you need 13 for victory, not 14. You're omitting that Bowles passed up on 2 FGs not just 1, and are starting history 12 minutes later. 

See, the way it works is, if you pass up on sure points you'd better be damn sure not lose by the margin of those sure points. 

Yes. The "problem" is Bowles had trouble with simple math. Down 12 means you need 13 for victory, not 14. You're omitting that Bowles passed up on 2 FGs not just 1, and are starting history 12 minutes later. 

See, the way it works is, if you pass up on sure points you'd better be damn sure not lose by the margin of those sure points. 

Given the way the Jets offense was moving the football, I would have gone for it there too being a short distance. Plus, I also wonder if Nick Folk was kicking if he would have taken the FG. 

Either way, Fans want him to be aggressive. He was being aggressive. Can't have it both ways

Given the way the Jets offense was moving the football, I would have gone for it there too being a short distance. Plus, I also wonder if Nick Folk was kicking if he would have taken the FG. 

Either way, Fans want him to be aggressive. He was being aggressive. Can't have it both ways

You are 100% correct. 

we ant him to be aggressive when it calls for being aggressive like last week end of the 1st half.  This game he should have taken the points early in the 4th.  I have less of a problem kicking w/ 3+ mins left though after losing yards on 3rd down it may have been wise to just kick it but I was ok going on the last 4th down.  I had more a of a problem w/ his use of time outs.

we ant him to be aggressive when it calls for being aggressive like last week end of the 1st half.  This game he should have taken the points early in the 4th.  I have less of a problem kicking w/ 3+ mins left though after losing yards on 3rd down it may have been wise to just kick it but I was ok going on the last 4th down.  I had more a of a problem w/ his use of time outs.

It doesn't matter. You can't have it both ways by your judgment.

I think the easy out for him is to act like there are no sure points.  We have a sketchy kicker signed off the street in November and the weather was bad.  Extra points are questionable now.

there are times to be aggressive and times not to be.  he is struggling w/ when to be aggressive.

Because his fanbase and the media are yelling at him to be aggressive. For a rookie head coach to take this much vitriol is ridiculous. Add the Quinn situation in Atlanta this Sunday and there you have it.

And like Bowles, you also would have lost. 

Fans want smart, not mindlessly aggressive. He has a bad QB (yes better than our others) having a mostly bad game, and his receivers have a reputation for drops. Then it's compounded by being UNagressive the play before, to end the 3rd quarter, when he let a tired and dejected Buffalo defense rest and regroup by letting time expire. 

Try being a fan of this team for more than 4 years before scolding everyone else for not seeing the wisdom of bad, rookie coaching calls that blew up in our faces.

And like Bowles, you also would have lost

Fans want smart, not mindlessly aggressive. He has a bad QB (yes better than our others) having a mostly bad game, and his receivers have a reputation for drops. Then it's compounded by being UNagressive the play before, to end the 3rd quarter, when he let a tired and dejected Buffalo defense rest and regroup by letting time expire. 

Try being a fan of this team for more than 4 years before scolding everyone else for not seeing the wisdom of bad, rookie coaching calls that blew up in our faces.

I have been a fan of this team for 10 years. 

Because his fanbase and the media are yelling at him to be aggressive. For a rookie head coach to take this much vitriol is ridiculous. Add the Quinn situation in Atlanta this Sunday and there you have it.

it's life as an NFL HC, when things don't go well you take heat.  the Quinn situation has nothing to do w/ last night.

I think the easy out for him is to act like there are no sure points.  We have a sketchy kicker signed off the street in November and the weather was bad.  Extra points are questionable now.

The first FG was 37 yards, not 50 yards. He's a kicker, not a punter forced into the kicker role. 

Extra points are more questionable now, sure, but only in that they went from ~100% to ~95%. 

BULLsh*t. PFT has already used that situation in an article

who cares what PFT uses?  I can buy the reasoning for going for the last one down 22-17 but it was stupid to go for it on 4th and 2 at the beginning of the 4th qtr.  if we kick there then we don't have a 4th down decision late in the game.  did Quinn have that chance last week?

The first FG was 37 yards, not 50 yards. He's a kicker, not a punter forced into the kicker role. 

Extra points are more questionable now, sure, but only in that they went from ~100% to ~95%. 

He is a fat kicker that was cut for missing gimmes.  I'm not saying it is a good excuse, but the public has swallowed worse and it should be a legitimate factor in any decision.

This. Isnt wasnt 1 decision.  It was 2.  The first one was stupid.  You dont leave points on the board with that much time left, knowing, it could come down to a FG.  I didnt agree with 2nd one but I could at least understand that decision, at that point, ******* up the first one. The play calling last night was just atrocious. Gailey sucks balls. 

The real blunder was the stupid ass decision to let the clock run out at the end of the 3rd when the Bills were reeling.  Why would you let them get a blow like that? 

So ******* stupid. 

He is a fat kicker that was cut for missing gimmes.  I'm not saying it is a good excuse, but the public has swallowed worse and it should be a legitimate factor in any decision.

I think that's overblown. He's a 90% FG kicker from that distance and has got a much better chance of kicking the FG than we have of converting a pass. Particularly one where Fitzpanic audibles into an attempt far behind the sticks, and he audibled into that mess because it didn't look (to him) like the original play would have worked any better.

I think that's overblown. He's a 90% FG kicker from that distance and has got a much better chance of kicking the FG than we have of converting a pass. Particularly one where Fitzpanic audibles into an attempt far behind the sticks, and he audibled into that mess because it didn't look (to him) like the original play would have worked any better.

So you don't like my excuse?  Come up with a better one.  This is damage control, man!

So you don't like my excuse?  Come up with a better one.  This is damage control, man!

You know the more I think about this, the more I'm glad they lost. Everyone here was so "who cares if they won,they sucked doing it", after winning that maybe you will appreciate winning better. But I doubt it. This fanbase is poisoned by Tom Brady being a great QB and them feeling entitled

I agree with this. I just wanted everyone to know that. 

LOL. I'm just saying IMO it wasn't a move where Bowles was weighing and lamenting the percentages. It was a "gut" move he made, and it was a bad one.

If there was 8 minutes on the clock it's different. But with the entire 4th quarter to go, you don't pass up on FGs inside 40 yards unless ONLY touchdowns get you back in it (i.e. if they were down 14 points not 12 points). Too many ways kicking a FG is better. As it turned out, one of the ways is the way that actually happened.

This. Isnt wasnt 1 decision.  It was 2.  The first one was stupid.  You dont leave points on the board with that much time left, knowing, it could come down to a FG.  I didnt agree with 2nd one but I could at least understand that decision, at that point, ******* up the first one. The play calling last night was just atrocious. Gailey sucks balls. 

The real blunder was the stupid ass decision to let the clock run out at the end of the 3rd when the Bills were reeling.  Why would you let them get a blow like that? 

So ******* stupid. 

I also agree with this. This is a good thread for me and  hate that it even exists. We gave yet another friggin game away and I hate it. 

HATE HATE HATE IT

A kid following this team for (allegedly) 10 years, lecturing the Jets fan base about appreciating winning. 

Go follow this team for another 10, 20, 30 years before you go doing that, Junior.

You know the more I think about this, the more I'm glad they lost. Everyone here was so "who cares if they won,they sucked doing it", after winning that maybe you will appreciate winning better. But I doubt it. This fanbase is poisoned by Tom Brady being a great QB and them feeling entitled

5 minutes ago I was pretty sure you weren't the worst Jets fan in the history of JetNation. So this isn't a reflex. This is your desire after thinking about this.

What a terrible fan you are. You must have like no friends, to define your happiness by the relative misery of others.

LOL. I'm just saying IMO it wasn't a move where Bowles was weighing and lamenting the percentages. It was a "gut" move he made, and it was a bad one.

If there was 8 minutes on the clock it's different. But with the entire 4th quarter to go, you don't pass up on FGs inside 40 yards unless ONLY touchdowns get you back in it (i.e. if they were down 14 points not 12 points). Too many ways kicking a FG is better. As it turned out, one of the ways is the way that actually happened.

I would have kicked.  That being said, I didn't have a huge problem with it as a decision per se.

My problem stems from the way it went down.  Two pass plays.  The 2nd I guess was an audible, but I think you have to decide ahead of time if you are going to go for it and have 2 plays ready.  They had a good play, Decker dropped it and then they had to recall the FG unit.  The 4th down play was not an extension of the 3rd down play, so I wasn't a fan.  Seemed like a knee jerk "Ah, what the hell?  Let's go for it!" decision.

A kid following this team for (allegedly) 10 years, lecturing the Jets fan base about appreciating winning. 

Go follow this team for another 10, 20, 30 years before you go doing that, Junior.

5 minutes ago I was pretty sure you weren't the worst Jets fan in the history of JetNation. So this isn't a reflex. This is your desire after thinking about this.

What a terrible fan you are. You must have like no friends, to define your happiness by the relative misery of others.

What if he has a PSL?  How dare you scold somebody that may actually own an authentic David Harris jersey!

Actually, you can.

Being aggressive and conservative in the context of a football game is not mutually exclusive. The fan base is clamoring for better decision making... and the manifestation of that conversation is talking about when to be aggressive versus when not to be. You can absolutely expect and have both approaches. 

I would have kicked.  That being said, I didn't have a huge problem with it as a decision per se.

My problem stems from the way it went down.  Two pass plays.  The 2nd I guess was an audible, but I think you have to decide ahead of time if you are going to go for it and have 2 plays ready.  They had a good play, Decker dropped it and then they had to recall the FG unit.  The 4th down play was not an extension of the 3rd down play, so I wasn't a fan.  Seemed like a knee jerk "Ah, what the hell?  Let's go for it!" decision.

Yep, I said it was a "gut" decision, not one that was thought out & weighing the likely relative success of the FG vs running a play. And Decker dropping a pass on the prior play that should have worked should have re-illustrated first hand how many things have to go right to complete a pass. That is, in case he wasn't watching the rest of our passing game prior to that point.

Taking his offense off the field to end the 3rd Q = pussy, unaggressive move, instead of going in for the kill while Buffalo's D was on the ropes.

Going for it on 4th down instead of kicking a 37 yard FG with a whole Q left to play = mindlessly "gut move" aggressive, and it's a hindsight benefit to Bowles that it wasn't an even bigger momentum killer for the Jets. 

Agreed.

It doesn't matter. You can't have it both ways by your judgment.

Clown post.

there are times to be aggressive and times not to be.  he is struggling w/ when to be aggressive.

Agreed.

Clown post.

I have been a fan of this team for 10 years. 

Oh, well then, by all means continue chastising everyone about how they vent their frustrations.

Last night's loss was one of the most disappointing losses in a winnable game I've seen in OVER ten years. Last night's game was an opportunity to effectively stake our claim to the first wildcard spot, and end a division rivals season (because that team would spiral out of control if they lost last night). It was a HOME game versus an inferior team, that played like sh*t, and we lost it by out-sh*tting them.

This loss feels like the 2008 loss to Seattle, when Favre's arm injury first reared its head and we couldn't beat Seneca Wallace. Knocked the wind out of the fanbase, and a hard one to recover from. 

10 years is plenty enough time to know better. Shut your ******* mouth.

As fans we always want coaches to go for it on 4th and short.  We have no accountability.  As a HC they have to consider game situation. First FG, plenty of time left, as Bowles says, "you keep on stacking chips".  That works with points to.  If you have almost a full quarter. left, you take the points.

End of game they left the winning points on the field.  Unacceptable.  

I don't want aggressive.

I want smart for the circumstances.

Some times that will be aggressive, sometimes that will be taking sure-points.

It's not an all-or-nothing choice, and limiting it to that is false-logic.

IMO Sperm nailed this thread with his first post in it.

I don't want aggressive.  False bravado is not impressive.

I want smart for the circumstances.

Some times that will be aggressive, sometimes that will be taking sure-points.

It's not an all-or-nothing choice, and limiting it to that is false-logic.

IMO Sperm nailed this thread with his first post in it.

Archived