Extend Fitz NOW

jgb

Fitz turned the Jets franchise around?

Did he win a division title? AFC Championship game? A Super Bowl!?

He barely beat the Pats JV squad.

I'm with you, reward the guy big time for accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Say what you want, TX, but Fitz, right now, is playing like a top-10 QB.  Our next best option if we don't keep him is probably someone who is bad enough to not start over the likes of Manziel, Foles or Bradford.  He's winning games, not just riding a great defense and running game like Sanchez.  On top of that, the team and fans love him.  No question we pay the guy FMV for the next two seasons, whatever happens the rest of the way now.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fellow Jets brother. Looking at the Jets QB history objectively, are you really willing to risk losing a 29/12 QB because you are worried he might be "a product of this team?" I'd say that's an opinion we just can't afford to have. Respectfully, as always.

it's all relative but I really think fitz needs to be signed for the right price so we can afford to surround him with great talent otherwise we may lose a 29/12 QB even if we keep him

it's all relative but I really think fitz needs to be signed for the right price so we can afford to surround him with great talent otherwise we may lose a 29/12 QB even if we keep him

Stop hang wringing about price. Getting good talent without a QB is like putting $2000 rims on a Geo Metro.

Say what you want, TX, but Fitz, right now, is playing like a top-10 QB.  Our next best option if we don't keep him is probably someone who is bad enough to not start over the likes of Manziel, Foles or Bradford.  He's winning games, not just riding a great defense and running game like Sanchez.  On top of that, the team and fans love him.  No question we pay the guy FMV for the next two seasons, whatever happens the rest of the way now.

Look, I have given Fitz credit all year long.

He has played exceptionally well.

He is not the Jets long-term, or even short-term, solution.

Biggest mistake the Jets can make is extending him to a long term contract.

There is a lot to like about Fitzy. He's very accurate on the short stuff. He is a leader on the field. He is tough as they come and not afraid to make a mistake unlike many other Jets QB's who the more they worried about making a mistake the sooner they did. Fitzy is a terrible long passer though. He can't continue to miss wide open guys down the field. It really should have been a Jets blowout if he connects with Enunwa early and then Tomkins. Would have been a huge Jets lead. The win is the important thing though and I would certainly be in favor of reupping him on a two year deal. Bryce Petty - who I promise CAN throw a great deep ball - will be ready by the end of next year.

those were the receivers fault

Look, I have given Fitz credit all year long.

He has played exceptionally well.

He is not the Jets long-term, or even short-term, solution.

Biggest mistake the Jets can make is extending him to a long term contract.

Fitz isn't the answer compared to what??? Pats fans look at everything through the "the GOAT can be found in the 6th" mentality. For a guy who has been active on a Jets messageboard for a decade, you know nothing, John Snow.

I really wish I didn't agree with you because I'm enjoying this postseason run, but as someone who's been very critical of fitz, the guy has been a professional and done his job at an acceptable level, which we haven't been able to say for a long time. The question is not whether fitz deserves to be extended, but if his success is a product of this team can we keep this unit together since the main target is an older free agent as well

I think that's the wrong question.  The question should be, if we don't keep Fitz, what will our QB situation look like.  My answer:  not pretty.  Most of the teams in the NFL are overpaying their QBs because the next option sucks.  The difference is, some teams, like BAL and NYG, are paying their guys $20MM+ and we would be looking at less than half that (maybe more if we win playoff games) to keep Fitz around, who would actually likely be playing up to his contract.  I have no problem with that.

BTW, his stats over the 5-game win streak?  13 TDs, 1 INT, just over 300 Y/G and an avg. rating over 100.  That's not 'game-manager' stats.  That's 'winner' stats.

I think that's the wrong question.  The question should be, if we don't keep Fitz, what will our QB situation look like.  My answer:  not pretty.  Most of the teams in the NFL are overpaying their QBs because the next option sucks.  The difference is, some teams, like BAL and NYG, are paying their guys $20MM+ and we would be looking at less than half that (maybe more if we win playoff games) to keep Fitz around, who would actually likely be playing up to his contract.  I have no problem with that.

BTW, his stats over the 5-game win streak?  13 TDs, 1 INT, just over 300 Y/G and an avg. rating over 100.  That's not 'game-manager' stats.  That's 'winner' stats.

bold is why you sign him now. great post.

I prefer not to risk the only palatable offense in over a decade on the opinion--however well informed--that there will not be a bidding war. Also your response, thank you for it, doesn't address what is the more salient point: his price ain't going down so why wait? It can only go up.

Also double current salary might sound nice and "fair" but the market sets the price, not the former salary. So why give the market a chance? Do it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the market was set when he signed in Tennessee & re-established again with Houston. He led the Texans to the most wins of all Texan QBs in 2014 (lost Job to injury) AND THEY STILL SHIPPED HIM FOR A 7th. His only value IS TO US, and really no one else. Teams will not change their offense to accommodate Fitz's game, he won't be worth $14-$19M to ANYONE. His chance for success is with us

the market was set when he signed in Tennessee & re-established again with Houston. He led the Texans to the most wins of all Texan QBs in 2014 (lost Job to injury) AND THEY STILL SHIPPED HIM FOR A 7th. His only value IS TO US, and really no one else. Teams will not change their offense to accommodate Fitz's game, he won't be worth $14-$19M to ANYONE. His chance for success is with us

So you're saying his most recent season has no impact on his market value? Let me know if you're ever selling a house I'd like to make an offer

You have been saying the same damn thing since 2001.

How has that worked out the last 15 years?

Please crawl back into your hole. When in hell were you unbanned? You make this site unbearable at times. You have reverted back to pure troll much faster than normal. Must sting seeing your team get completely outplayed.

So you're saying his most recent season has no impact on his market value? Let me know if you're ever selling a house I'd like to make an offer

correct. SOME impact, but NOT at the numbers you stated. 

Btw, I own & manage NYC R/E for the last 15 years, so yeah, I have a rather good gage for accurate value.

correct. SOME impact, but NOT at the numbers you stated. 

Btw, I own & manage NYC R/E for the last 15 years, so yeah, I have a rather good gage for accurate value.

Which numbers count and which don't? Enlighten us, please.

I believe Fitz should be re signed. That said did you see the winning catch, Jets players were like a bunch of kids. This is great for team chemistry. Inject the adult world of contracts and thinking about who got what and why didn't I get mine and chemistry is lost. Don't rock the ship at this point in time.

Division Titles

Conference Championships

Super Bowl Wins

Those are the only important numbers.

Yeah...   but supporting cast has something to say about that.

If the Jets don't bring back Fitz, who is the new QB?  He is a leader in the clubhouse, and a good player on the field.  He's not a HOF, I get that, but I don't see any free agents who look like a huge upgrade.

If the Jets don't bring back Fitz, who is the new QB?  He is a leader in the clubhouse, and a good player on the field.  He's not a HOF, I get that, but I don't see any free agents who look like a huge upgrade.

I get that.

Give Petty a legitimate chance next year or throw some money at Cousins.

Signing Fitz long term will set the Jets back 5 years.

Division Titles

Conference Championships

Super Bowl Wins

True, but not in salaries. Thats why guys like Cutler, Tannenhill are making close to $20 mill per. This is a demand market.

I get that.

From what I read, Petty needed at least 2 seasons on the bench before even being considered for a starting role.

Matt Leinart is available 

I think Fitz is more of a stop-gap solution for the NYJ.  He's been very good this year but I don't think we can count on this type of play from him going forward.  That said, he's a commodity these days in the QB-starved NFL.  If we have to overpay to keep him then I think that's what we have to do.  Regardless though, we still need to find a long-term solution.

Fitz will be extended after the season.  Through the first fifteen games of the season : 29 TDs (tying franchise record) & within 200 + yards of setting a new franchise single season yardage passing record not to mention a 10-5 record.  The Jets are not a rebuilding team and have as good of chance as any team to win a championship. He certianly can lead this team in the short term.

Division Titles

Conference Championships

Super Bowl Wins

Again, the position of a ridiculously spoiled fan base. Here in the real world, outside of the Cheat Zone, adults have to make decisions based upon what they feel gives the team the highest probability of success. Granted Jets executives haven't been so good at that but right now Fitz is an easy call.

Just draft a HOF'er and best of all time in the 6th round. Duh. Silly Jets fans. It's such an easy formula.

My mom has passed away, A-hole.

From shame, no doubt.

(I assume you are kidding. If not, condolences)

I get that.

Of course you want Fitz gone he just smoked you. Hey I think you should jettison Brady and go for Brian Hoyer. Trust me bro, got your best interests at heart.

In all seriousness you should be banned.  You do nothing but agitate and quite frankly post like an an ASS whole and high jack threads. 

he is usually accurate in most posts has always demonstrated a higher IQ than the avg. Jets fan in these forums.

Archived