Now that we've all had time to sleep on it..

InstantClassic

We don't know that.  My guess is Geno is gone and we draft/sign at least one more QB.  Also, Fitz vs. Petty isn't the same as this year Fitz only win 6 games and Petty as a rookie.  Both have grown in the year.

You're right.  We dont know that but as of right now, thats where we are at.  Hell, there is no guarantee Fitz is back. 

Why cut Geno?  He's a cheap back up with 2 years of starting experience.  That's hard to find.

Petty could very well grow, I mean, that is the hope...but its just that, hope.

Even if we do sign/draft a QB, you honestly think we find a starter?  We draft 20th, there arent really any blue chip QB prospects to begin with and the FA market sucks for QB's, like usual. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right.  We dont know that but as of right now, thats where we are at.  Hell, there is no guarantee Fitz is back. 

Why cut Geno?  He's a cheap back up with 2 years of starting experience.  That's hard to find.

Petty could very well grow, I mean, that is the hope...but its just that, hope.

Even if we do sign/draft a QB, you honestly think we find a starter?  We draft 20th, there arent really any blue chip QB prospects to begin with and the FA market sucks for QB's, like usual. 

I think drafting a day 1 starter isn't likely.  I also think that considering the FA market, we are not likely to do a lot better than Fitz.  Who knows - maybe Mac pulls a rabbit/QB out of a hat.  I think we resign Fitz and he holds the fort until Petty or someone else is ready.

I think drafting a day 1 starter isn't likely.  I also think that considering the FA market, we are not likely to do a lot better than Fitz.  Who knows - maybe Mac pulls a rabbit/QB out of a hat.  I think we resign Fitz and he holds the fort until Petty or someone else is ready.

Right.  Exactly and that's kind of my point.  2015 will be no different than 2016.  Only, Fitz will be in the incumbent over Geno.  Rightfully so. But its the same exact scenario. Which is, they're stuck in neutral hoping Fitz can duplicate his Magic vs. a much much tougher schedule.

I like Fitz.  They should resign him and hope to develop Petty or Mac pulls off a miracle but back to my original point.  It's no different than 2015, just slightly more confidence in Fitz. 

Sooooo much praise for Mac, really?  He made one great move - the trade for Marshall, however in the end Marshall threw Thompkins under the bus for blowing the game when in reality you cannot expect miracles in the last seconds.  Carpenter was a nice signing, but other OL upgrades and RB, special teams and LB were ignored.

I felt Mac overpaid for Revis and Cro - when there were better options out there.  The draft was once again, well...poor.  There were a lot of impact WRs available in rounds 3 and 4, yet we got a zero production Devin Smith...yes Smith - like a Santana Moss - may beef up and become more durable as the years go on, but guys like Jalen Stron or Lockett would have been much better choices.  Mauldin looks like he could become a nice player - but not the pass rushing stud we needed and what Eli Harold looks like he may be.  Williams contributed, but was never the dominant force nor had the impact a top five selection should.  We also got zero after round 3 - many teams get some contributions from later round picks.  The 2016 draft will be key to our future - we need to get at least 2 impact players and get contributions from later round picks.  

Instead of rebuilding, he refurbished, and going into 2016 we have more holes than we did going into 2015.  We need another CB, an ILB, an OLB, A NT, two OLs, Two RBs, two WRs, a TE, a KR, a PR and of course a QB.

We should have hired a GM with a magic wand. Know one?

Jeez.

Thank you...you know what I know, FITZ is garbage and is exposed by the better teams.  We should say thanks for the time together and let him walk.

he's not garbage but fool's gold. We should resign him on a cheap deal because he's a servicable backup 

Never dicuss the rushing game with Savage.  I love the man, but his opinions on rushing are....suspect....at best.

Remember, he's the guy who thinks Curtis Martin was horrible.  No suprise he would think our horrific running game yesterday was good, despite it being basicly "one good run and a gameful of ineffective sh*te".

I love you to Fish but don't lie.. I never said he was horrible I said he was a very good durable back and a great role model..I have said to me he wasn't worth a 1st and 3rd and a huge contract..And it started when Martinette's always made excuses for him and trashed every other Jet back.. For a guy that had more carries then any other jet back in history how many team records does he hold?? Most yardage because of the most carries that's it unless you think 14 yds rushing in a AFCG game is something to brag about..LOL

We have seen so many Jets teams show promise and the next year stink up the joint.  Show me a 12-4 Jets team next season and I can live with "this season was a step in the right direction".  This team regresses and goes 4-12 in 2016 then we have a problem.  

The 4-1 start and winning 5 in a row only to lose to Rex burns and still has me aggravated.  Almost only counts in horse shoes.  If this means a top team next year I'll get over it but for now I'm not.  

Oh and our special teams coach should be fired.  So many screw ups this year that cost us and in my opinion played a role in us losing the game.  That and Fitzpatrick throwing 3 INTs at the end.  Played his heart out this season but he is a top 30 QB not top 10 QB. 

Season over 10-6 no playoffs another Super Bowl Sunday watching other teams many questions as to what went wrong we were led by a journeyman QB who gave us hope but in the end same results been there done that many times before.

We are Jets fans we are the most resilient fans in the NFL game over season over. 

I will still wear my Jets gear proudly they are my team win or lose.

We have seen so many Jets teams show promise and the next year stink up the joint.  Show me a 12-4 Jets team next season and I can live with "this season was a step in the right direction".  This team regresses and goes 4-12 in 2016 then we have a problem.  

The 4-1 start and winning 5 in a row only to lose to Rex burns and still has me aggravated.  Almost only counts in horse shoes.  If this means a top team next year I'll get over it but for now I'm not.  

Oh and our special teams coach should be fired.  So many screw ups this year that cost us and in my opinion played a role in us losing the game.  That and Fitzpatrick throwing 3 INTs at the end.  Played his heart out this season but he is a top 30 QB not top 10 QB. 

Last night on SNY post game Ray Lucas and Chad Cascaden were doing the usual Mike please go back and straighten out the Jets special teams.. He said I'm having too much fun with you guys but I haven't seen a big check offered yet either..LOL

yesterday..if you thought our game plan was fine, good for you.  You probably pat kids on the back with an 8th place trophy.

We all set a goal, mine seem higher than yours.

And thusly in a sport where luck plays a huge factor, you are more likely to be disappointed. 

What gives you the right to set a goal for a team that you can't control? 

I like how some people watch football all their life and think they know better than coaches who played football for most of their life and are skilled enough to be one of 32 coaches who are paid millions of dollars to coach a team.  

All you guys act like beating the Bills yesterday is apart of some long multi year building process. Lets face it, we failed at beating a then 7-8 team. We didn't execute, the coach made baffaling decisions and we couldn't get it done. No excuses. The team was good enough for a wild card spot.

Preseason expectations put us there. When it comes to the Jets EXPECT NOTHING. 

I'm going to troll a Steelers message board over how they backed in to the playoffs.

They didn't back in to the playoffs.  They won the right amount of games needed which included wins that allowed them to win on a tiebreaker.

We didn't, that simple.

who knows about our front office? they had easy moves to make w/ boatloads of cap space, they did a good job as we were really talented but we failed when we had a golden opportunity to get into the playoffs and make some noise in a watered down AFC.

I still like Bowles but he was awful yesterday, the much better HC was on the other sideline.

Trades are not easy moves. 

You laugh but it's not that different, dude.  We're going into the next season in the exact same position they were in last offseason.  Fitz vs. Geno vs. Petty.

No, we won't be.  All 3 QB's are viewed very differently now:

Fitz - If he's retained, he's the unquestioned starter.  Period.  You don't have a 5-game stretch where you throw 13 TD's and just 1 pick, break a franchise record and lead a team to 10-5 (the Oakland game can't be credited to him OR Geno, really) only to find yourself in a QB competition.  Especially since we'll need to pay starter money to bring him back in the first place.  If he asks for too much money and walks, this will of course wildly change the dynamic of the 2016 season. 

Geno - Likely to be cut regardless of what other decisions we make at QB.  He's a distraction we don't need, and isn't even really an ideal choice as a backup.  But if he is brought back, he will almost definitely not be involved in a competition to start.  The coaching staff didn't even want to trust him with a single game while Fitz was recovering from hand surgery.  They don't like him, period.  That's been true ever since the IK punch.

Petty - Returns with a full year under his belt and may get promoted to the primary backup IF Fitz get's his new contract.  The truth is we don't know how much about how he has been progressing, but we do know he has been praised for his work ethic and maturity.  That's a good start.

New QB - We will not enter camp with just Fitz and Petty. 

Pretty depressed actually, mostly because we have more holes to fill than can be reasonably fixed in one year and we likely take a step back next year, potentially a large one on how they handle Fitz. Next year should be all about freeing cap, getting younger and faster. 

Eh, pushing 3 decades in on this franchise now. Being over a loss like that in less than 24 hours is not normal, but I am because it's just what the Jets do.

It's funny, my old man started voicing a worry about 10-15 years back, wondering if he'd die before he ever got to see them win another one. I used to tell him he was nuts, there's just no way, the odds are going to kick in and at the very least we'll luck into a quarterback or something. But I gotta say, he's turning 64 this year, and I can't tell him that anymore. It's a legit worry, he's got about 20-30 years left in the tank and I can't say that we're going to luck into jack sh*t ever. This is compounded by the fact that this franchise sure as hell never goes and gets anything for itself. It is a bottomless, black hole of ineptitude, where as sure as the sun rises, the Jets will always find a way to cock every opportunity up. I think I accepted that after 2010 or so, maybe earlier, I can't really put my finger on it. But I think I'm just whatever about this franchise for the rest of my life. I'm stuck with it, and I'll always love them, but whatever.

Trades are not easy moves. 

he got our MVP for almost nothing, he had a boatload of cap space.  we gave Marshall more money when he came here too.  most of the moves made were easy.  I LOVE what he did, I am very happy w/ Macc but his body of work is still TBD.

It's one thing to be disappointed. It's another to say nothing good happened this year. 70s Jets fans would have loved this era of Jets football

it's not the 70s, it's 2015.  it's not long ago we were competing for AFC titles.  this is a different era where teams can go from bad to good overnight.  we failed, there were some great moments but the season as a whole was a failure.

Pretty depressed actually, mostly because we have more holes to fill than can be reasonably fixed in one year and we likely take a step back next year, potentially a large one on how they handle Fitz. Next year should be all about freeing cap, getting younger and faster. 

This year was about that too. Seeing improvement in young defensive players like Pryor is very big

it's not the 70s, it's 2015.  it's not long ago we were competing for AFC titles.  this is a different era where teams can go from bad to good overnight.  we failed, there were some great moments but the season as a whole was a failure.

So by your explanation, one out of 32 teams succeed every year. Rate of Failure is huge. 

Jets fans are getting spoiled. We talk about a 5 year drought. That's not even close to the longest drought in team history. 

So by your explanation, one out of 32 teams succeed every year. Rate of Failure is huge

each team is different, playoffs would have been a success for us.  for other teams maybe getting close is a success(a team like Cle or TB) but not for us.  this team had more than enough talent to at least get to postseason and they needed one win against a mediocre/bad team in week 17 to do it and they didn't show up.  it wasn't like Buf was great, we were just horrible and that takes a lot of the shine off this season.  yes there were good moments but after yesterday it was not a success.  it's not like we had a young team that is building, we are an old team.

each team is different, playoffs would have been a success for us.  for other teams maybe getting close is a success(a team like Cle or TB) but not for us.  this team had more than enough talent to at least get to postseason and they needed one win against a mediocre/bad team in week 17 to do it and they didn't show up.  it wasn't like Buf was great, we were just horrible and that takes a lot of the shine off this season.  yes there were good moments but after yesterday it was not a success.  it's not like we had a young team that is building, we are an old team.

I think that's where people get confused. Mac is balancing competing now and rebuilding. It's tough to do, but so far he has done a good job and we have seen improvement in young players

Sooooo much praise for Mac, really?  He made one great move - the trade for Marshall, however in the end Marshall threw Thompkins under the bus for blowing the game when in reality you cannot expect miracles in the last seconds.  Carpenter was a nice signing, but other OL upgrades and RB, special teams and LB were ignored.

I felt Mac overpaid for Revis and Cro - when there were better options out there.  The draft was once again, well...poor.  There were a lot of impact WRs available in rounds 3 and 4, yet we got a zero production Devin Smith...yes Smith - like a Santana Moss - may beef up and become more durable as the years go on, but guys like Jalen Stron or Lockett would have been much better choices.  Mauldin looks like he could become a nice player - but not the pass rushing stud we needed and what Eli Harold looks like he may be.  Williams contributed, but was never the dominant force nor had the impact a top five selection should.  We also got zero after round 3 - many teams get some contributions from later round picks.  The 2016 draft will be key to our future - we need to get at least 2 impact players and get contributions from later round picks.  

Instead of rebuilding, he refurbished, and going into 2016 we have more holes than we did going into 2015.  We need another CB, an ILB, an OLB, A NT, two OLs, Two RBs, two WRs, a TE, a KR, a PR and of course a QB.

One in every crowd.

I think that's where people get confused. Mac is balancing competing now and rebuilding. It's tough to do, but so far he has done a good job and we have seen improvement in young players

I completely understand what he is doing but when you get this close and fail it hurts.  from Macc's end it was a success, he made moves to compete this year and we competed but the team as a who;le coming this close and blowing it against an inferior team makes the season a failure.

the key for Macc is having good drafts and replenishing the older talent we have over the next couple of years.  his real work is ahead of him.

I completely understand what he is doing but when you get this close and fail it hurts.  from Macc's end it was a success, he made moves to compete this year and we competed but the team as a who;le coming this close and blowing it against an inferior team makes the season a failure.

the key for Macc is having good drafts and replenishing the older talent we have over the next couple of years.  his real work is ahead of him.

Hurts yes. Complete failure? Ehhhhhhh.

Interestng question: Would you rather have beaten Rex and lost to BB or reverse?

And don't say beat both

Archived