KIPER : Leonard Williams is Mel's Top DEFENSIVE Rookie ~ ~ ~

kelly

Peters was the real rookie of year and will be named it

8 picks in your rookie season.  That's pretty impressive and he will probably never do it again.  haha

He may win DROY but the way Leo finished the season, look out!  This kid is going to be a monster.  He was outstanding the last 5 games of the year.  Outstanding! 

8 picks in your rookie season.  That's pretty impressive and he will probably never do it again.  haha

He may win DROY but the way Leo finished the season, look out!  This kid is going to be a monster.  He was outstanding the last 5 games of the year.  Outstanding! 

No Doubt WIlliams is good, Peters looks to be the real deal

Peters was tested as any rookie would be. Leo is the real deal. As his strength and conditioning increases the Jets will again have a prolific DL. Need to keep Mo and Snacks if possible. That suspension could cause problems and Mo is coming off of an injury.

ESPN's Mel Kiper, Jr. says he thinks the Jets' first round pick was the best defensive rookie in the NFL this season.

Defensive rookie of the year

Leonard Williams, DE, Jets

He played nearly 800 snaps, was outstanding against the run, helped free up teammates to rush the passer, and actually did some great work in pushing the pocket himself. You really have to watch Williams on every snap because stats won't do him justice. I had him as the No. 1 overall player in the 2015 NFL draft, and I think he lived up to that. And yes, he was a total steal at No. 6 for New York. Great work by that front office.

I don't think anybody saw Williams falling to six before last year's Draft. Things worked out pretty well for the Jets. Sheldon Richardson's suspension made Williams important in the early going. If the Jets can get Muhammad Wilkerson locked up, it is going to be fun to watch these linemen grow up together.

I think the recognition a guy like Williams is getting is proof of how much smarter football analysis is getting. As Kiper said, you have to watch the snaps because his role does not lend itself to filling up the stat sheet. I don't think Sheldon Richardson would have won Defensive Rookie of the Year if he had played in the 1990's. The analysis is getting more sophisticated and appreciative of the dirty work.

>   http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/1/7/10733908/mel-kiper-says-leonard-williams-is-his-defensive-rookie-of-the-year

Have to take into account that Marcus Peters was by far the most targeted cornerback in the league this year.  He will probably win DROY because that stat line is very impressive but the targets he had and the fact that there was a lot of plays he was beaten bad should be taken into account.  

It is impressive, though Jairus Byrd had 9 in his rookie campaign and lost DROY to Brian Cushing. However, despite the analytics that suggests otherwise, I do think it'll be Peters. 

It is impressive, though Jairus Byrd had 9 in his rookie campaign and lost DROY to Brian Cushing. However, despite the analytics that suggests otherwise, I do think it'll be Peters. 

Thanks for posting this because I was wondering if there was another rookie DB who had as many picks as Peters did this season.  As I said, he'll never touch that # again and as I look at Byrd's career stats, his 2nd best season was 5 picks, 4 years later in his career. 

The thing is, Byrd did that at FS, which is a little easier than doing as rookie CB.

Anyway, Peters had a nice season but I'll take Williams for the long haul.  He's stats will only get better (and a lot of what he does dont show up in the stats), whereas Peters more than likely maxed out his rookie year. 

He was out for the first part of the season. If he had played the full season, he would have won.

in the half season that he did play he broke record he was amazing and in my opinion was a no brainer shoe in for offensive rookie of the year my jaw literally dropped when I heard Bridgewater won.

• 2 weeks later...
blank.gifJets defensive end Leonard Williams on Tuesday earned another honor for his strong rookie season. 

The Pro Football Writers of America named Williams to its all-rookie team. Rams running back Todd Gurley was the PFWA's offensive rookie of the year, while Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters was the defensive rookie of the year.Williams previously was named defensive rookie of the year by ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr., who also considered Peters and Bills cornerback Ronald Darby as his finalists for that honor. 

No matter how you slice it, Williams had a productive rookie season, after the Jets drafted him sixth overall last spring.Though he finished with a modest sack total (three), Pro Football Focus rated him seventh among 3-4 defensive ends, including 13th as a pass rusher and fourth against the run.

While he didn't play as many snaps as other top 3-4 ends, Williams ranked third at his position with 19 quarterback hits. He also had the 13th-most hurries (27).It sure looks like Williams has a bright future in the NFL. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/01/jets_leonard_williams_earns_another_honor_for_his.html#incart_river_index

blank.gif

Archived