Geno Smith '10 Times' as Motivated for Next Year

JetBlue

Actually, Eli wasn't benched for Kurt Warner in 2004.  Warner started the season, with Eli playing the final 2 minutes of the first game of the season.  Warner then started Weeks 2-9 before getting hurt, and Eli finished the season as the starter.  He never looked back from there.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

villain if throwing 31 TD's sucks then Im not sure what you think your going to get in a QB Im really not sure at all other than your going to be very disappointed for a very long time

This is changing the subject, but I'll play along. 

Yeah, Fitzpatrick threw 31 TD's, 15 INT's, 3,900 yards and missed the playoffs and I think he sucks. This isnt really hard to do in this passing league. Look at Kirk Cousins, look at Blake Bortles, look at the rookie Jameis Winston, look at Ryan Tannehill. All these guys threw for over 4,000 yards which is something Fitz didnt even do and many had similar TD amounts. And though I think some of them are pretty good, some like Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill I think SUCK even with the stats. The stats are based on the type of league were in, NOT that they're very good or great QB's. 

Kirk Cousins threw 29 TD's, 11 INT's, 4,200 yards 

Ryan Tannehill threw 24 TD's 12 INT's, 4,200 yards. 

Yet they BOTH suck! lol. 

The MVP of the league (A guy who if im correct you didnt like) Cam Newton threw less yards than Fitz this year, only 4 more TD's than Fitz and only 5 less INT's than Fitz but to even attampt to have a COMPARISON with Fitz season would be a complete joke at totally disrespectful. Why, because Ryan Fitzpatricks season couldnt hold a candle to Cam Newton's season though the stats wouldnt necessarily show you that. Its not about just having the stats, its how you got the stats. Cam stepped up and became a leader by winning football games with his stats, Fitz accumlated alot of stats but when it came to winning those important games we lost. And furthermore, Fitz had more talent around him than Cam did. Thats not even debatable. 

We need to stop always relying on the math and look at the guy on the field. Fitz had his best season of his career, this is true, but as usual when Fitz is needed when it absolutely counts the man fails to come through, and that was a playoff missing season with the easiest schedule I've ever seen. To have this team and not make the playoffs cements it. Meanwhile Cam would have went 16-0 with the talent Fitz had. 

Stats dont always tell the story, please pass that message to Jetsfan80. 

Giants fans are some of the most spoiled, stupid fans out there.  Especially those that were mad enough to call WFAN.  That doesn't mean they were right.  I only care what the Giants front office/coaching thought of him.  They kept trotting him out there every week in year 2 and beyond.  And Kurt Warner just happened to be a guy who will likely be an eventual Hall of Famer 

You also have to give Eli credit:  That kind of scrutiny never got to him.  He had the perfect approach to playing in NY:  Don't listen to what anybody says outside of your own teammates and coaches. 

It's pretty clear Sanchez and Geno lacked that ability to ignore the scrutiny.  Geno especially.  He once went at it verbally with a fan in the stands. 

NY fans are stupid in general, its not just Giants fans. Yes, they are more spoiled, but both are equally dumb.

I agree with giving Eli credit, he handled NY perfectly.

The problem is most football fans don't really understand the NFL QB position, and what goes into it being successful. Most fans give the QB far too much credit when the offense is great, and far too much blame when the offense sucks.

At the extremes, this is accurate, Brady can make an average offense look great, and terrible QB's can make a good offense look bad, but there is a hell of a lot of in-between.

For an NFL offense to look good, it needs to be like a well oiled machine, where all of the parts are working well. If WR's are not in the spots they need to be, or are not reading the coverage properly, the QB looks bad. If the line breaks down, the QB looks bad, if the OC calls bad plays, the QB looks bad.

The problem the casual fan has is they look at the elite QB's and say why is my guy not like that. And if you can get the elite guy, God bless, all is good, but the reality is it takes a lot of luck to get the elite guy, and luck is not a strategy.

If anyone can't see how bad the 2012 offense was, from the OC, to the WR's, to the right side of the line, to the QB, they honestly just don't understand football. Most Jets fans wanted to blame only Sanchez, and he was never anywhere near good enough to overcome that disaster, very few QB's historically would have been good enough to overcome that disaster.

The fact that Rex survived that 2012 debacle was a disaster of epic proportions, from a football perspective of course.

NY fans are stupid in general, its not just Giants fans. Yes, they are more spoiled, but both are equally dumb.

I agree with giving Eli credit, he handled NY perfectly.

The problem is most football fans don't really understand the NFL QB position, and what goes into it being successful. Most fans give the QB far too much credit when the offense is great, and far too much blame when the offense sucks.

At the extremes, this is accurate, Brady can make an average offense look great, and terrible QB's can make a good offense look bad, but there is a hell of a lot of in-between.

For an NFL offense to look good, it needs to be like a well oiled machine, where all of the parts are working well. If WR's are not in the spots they need to be, or are not reading the coverage properly, the QB looks bad. If the line breaks down, the QB looks bad, if the OC calls bad plays, the QB looks bad.

The problem the casual fan has is they look at the elite QB's and say why is my guy not like that. And if you can get the elite guy, God bless, all is good, but the reality is it takes a lot of luck to get the elite guy, and luck is not a strategy.

If anyone can't see how bad the 2012 offense was, from the OC, to the WR's, to the right side of the line, to the QB, they honestly just don't understand football. Most Jets fans wanted to blame only Sanchez, and he was never anywhere near good enough to overcome that disaster, very few QB's historically would have been good enough to overcome that disaster.

The fact that Rex survived that 2012 debacle was a disaster of epic proportions, from a football perspective of course.

Of course there's a gray area, and I fully agree Eli is not in the company of Brady.  But among that "gray area", he is very clearly an above average QB, and displayed this in the early going despite what Giants fans were saying.  The front office and coaching staff, who DO understand the ins and outs of QB play, saw enough out of the guy to stick with him Year 2 and beyond.  Not just because they used a # 1 pick on him, but because his performance justified it. 

Actually, Eli wasn't benched for Kurt Warner in 2004.  Warner started the season, with Eli playing the final 2 minutes of the first game of the season.  Warner then started Weeks 2-9 before getting hurt, and Eli finished the season as the starter.  He never looked back from there.

Warner wasn't hurt Coughlin didn't think he was being productive enough.. They were 5-4 and in 9 games Warner had just 6 tds and 4 picks..When they put in Eli he went 1-6 and they finished 6-10 that year..

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1923424

He does suck, but when it comes to the "nobody hates Geno", speak for yourself. 

And when a Jets player says he's really motivated to get better for next year and that is met with the same level of discouragement that we've all seen prior to the statement being made, then it is what it is. 

I want to replace him as a starter, just not with the starter we currently have because though that starter is better he's not good enough to accomplish what we need to accomplish. But I wouldnt hate on a man who acknowledges his faults and has the motivation to get better.

I think Fitz sucks, but I dont hate the man. I think he has great qualities that could rub off on younger guys which could help inspire and instill that motivation that is required to get over the hurdle. 

When I see people who can differentiate the fact that he sucks along with their personal feelings in order to appreciate that the man is trying to put a foot forward then the only thing that I can conclude is that there's hate in the blood. 

If thats not you then great, but lets not pretend like no one hates Geno. Thats bullcrap and you knew it as you were writing it. 

The word is disdain. Geno Smith is a guy Ill vaguely remember in 10 years (Kellen Clemens, anyone?), I have a general disdain for him, and a mild contempt for the way he has carried himself.

But hate? Yeah.....no.

2nd time I have to explain what I wrote....

Maybe I did t highlight the word "IF". IF he weren't making so much money in the final year of his contract, then perhaps a trade for him with Geno, who is in the final year of his contract would have been good for both teams and both players. iF IF IF

"If it doesnt apply, let it fly"....is the saying. 

People know what shoes they fit into. 

You seem unable to understand the difference between criticism and a preference for "addition by subtraction" of cutting Geno with personal hatred.

Lets be clear Villain, is YOU were the jets failed #2 QB, I would be opining that you should be cut as well.  I wouldn't "hate" you, I'd simply want you cut because (in my opinion) the team I root for would be better going forward without you than with you.  It's an opinion purely based on football and on-field/locker room variables.  

I.e. it's business, not personal.

I don't know Geno Smith, nor will I ever know Geno Smith (or any other Jet for that matter).  I am incapable of having a "personal" love/hate opinion about a man I don't know.  What I can do is have an opinion based on football, and that opinion is that the Jets franchise is better off without Geno Smith in 2016.

You seem unable to understand the difference between criticism and a preference for "addition by subtraction" of cutting Geno with personal hatred.

Lets be clear Villain, is YOU were the jets failed #2 QB, I would be opining that you should be cut as well.  I wouldn't "hate" you, I'd simply want you cut because (in my opinion) the team I root for would be better going forward without you than with you.  It's an opinion purely based on football and on-field/locker room variables.  

I.e. it's business, not personal.

I don't know Geno Smith, nor will I ever know Geno Smith (or any other Jet for that matter).  I am incapable of having a "personal" love/hate opinion about a man I don't know.  What I can do is have an opinion based on football, and that opinion is that the Jets franchise is better off without Geno Smith in 2016.

I didnt read the whole thing here so pardon if I dont address everything. 

But yes, I know the difference. Thats why I made my statement. 

This is the equivalent of covering your ears and yelling "la la la". If all you see as the difference between the Geno-led Jets in 2013 and the Fitz-led 2015 squad is 2 wins, then Surely you can explain why Geno only won 4 the following year with basically the same squad as he had the prior year.  Fitz has won 10 games as a Jet, which is just 2 less than Geno won in 2 seasons.

The only one using "spin" is you on this one, with an incredibly simplistic view at that. The "Fitz isn't a winner" viewpoint was stupid from the start, but it somehow continues to live on through these silly arguments.

Dude you are real trip; why should I sit around and speculate on something that can't be proven?  It would have been great to see Fitz lead the same team Geno had in his rookie year and see what kind of results he would have had.  As it stands, The 2015 Jets was a much better team than any Geno ever played with; again a FACT.  So while you want to get into all kinds of "predictive behaviors" and stats to "prove" what can't be proven, don't mind me sitting this one out.   There is nothing simplistic about reality.   BTW I didn't say anything about Fitz not being a winner so it "stupid" for you to bring that up in response to my post.   That is all, you may carry on with your speculations... 

And now, your starting QB for the Cleveland Browns..GENO SMITH!!!

If the Jets can get a fourth round pick for him I say go for it. Geno did mind his P's and Q's after the slugging and deserves credit for that. A lot of guys would have whined and made life miserable for his OC and HC, but Geno kept his mouth shut.....Oh yeah he HAD TO, it was wired shut.

Cannot believe this bum still has any defenders left. It is all about ego at this point "oh please i want to be right about him." 

Wake me up when he gets 10 times as intelligent. Because until he gets his hand on some of those pills from "Limitless" I wouldn't trust him to absorb the Techmo Bowl playbook.

For the Raiders.

With Techmo Bo.

Which is one play.

Archived