Geno Smith '10 Times' as Motivated for Next Year

JetBlue

Whether he's ready to be promoted or not, if they're happy with his development so far, there's no reason not to stick to the status quo. Dumping Geno means replacing him with a more expensive veteran, or spending one of their six draft picks on a mid round QB who'd like bring nothing to the team next year. Why create another hole if you don't have to? I'm convinced that fans hate Geno a lot more than his coaches or teammates. 

Now if they're not sold on Petty and want to draft a QB early next year, that's another story. Then Geno is likely the odd man out. But if they like Petty but want to keep developing him, going Fitz-Geno-Petty next season, and Petty-Fitz-draft pick the following year is a pragmatic plan. The late comp pick for Geno in 2018 would be the added bonus. 

Precisely what you just stated. The Geno hate is at an all-time high now. I couldnt even imagine what it would have been if we would have made the playoffs. We dont know a thing about Petty besides him not being ready and being a developmental project. If we are going to stick with Fitz then unless someone is willing to trade for Geno (which is highly unlikely) or the Jets have a good feeling about a QB in the draft then what is the point of dumping him when they were willing to start him "pre IK" just 4 months ago? It proves that #1. he's more than some below average QB that is lucky to have a back up role, and statistically he had a solid game against Oakland given that he came in cold, just off of injury a few weeks prior and had no reps with the #1's. And #2, fans literally hate this guy, like foaming at the mouth hate. lol. And its unfortunate because its all media-reactionary. When it was spring training and OTA's everything was cool. He gets punched in the face and stories emerge, then everyone knew he was a crooked bastard and shouldnt be on the team while wanting to bake christmas cakes for IK. The man has been a model citizen the entire year since the incident. Yet people still find a problem with him as if that was the first fight ever in a Jets locker room. Complaining because "He had his hands in the neck part of his shoulder pads and spit on the ground after a Fitz touchdown" yet wont ever mention when they see him on the sideline talking to coaches trying to learn something. 

You only release Geno if there is a better option or opportunity available to replace his current role, not because of some underline fan saltiness. If petty isnt ready then you have a guy who's a young vet who knows the franchise and can for once have talent available to him if called upon. If Petty is ready for the #2 spot then you simply slide Geno to #3 or draft a QB and drop him. But if Fitz goes down and Petty shows that he may not be as ready as we thought he would be for that #2 position then all you're left with is a #3 rookie back up who is a project, a #2 who moved up too soon and an unavailable starter. Who would prefer to potentially throw away their season because they didnt "like" Geno Smiths face amongst the players on the sidelines? 

Ridiculous. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems Bowles disagrees with you (at least in public) 

"I like Geno Smith as a quarterback and a person as well," Bowles said. "I thought Geno was very mature as a person, I thought he was very mature as a quarterback. I thought he handled everything well. I thought he took all his reps. I thought he got better as a person and I was very proud of what he did this year." - Todd Bowles

What's he gonna say while he's still a member of the team?  Is he gonna say he's a turd?  Maybe they want to trade him, maybe they want to keep him, maybe he's being truthful maybe not.  But until Fitz is either resigned or walks, I am sure they want to keep Geno as an option at this point, so I doubt Bowles is gonna diss the guy.

Geno the person and Geno the slow thinker negate any God Given physical talent that Geno the QB may have.

We have a saying in my fire department about the big body builders and crossfit guys and all that who can't go 3 hours without eating protein or having a wod....but last 10/minutes in a fire or suck a bottle down faster than the guy next to him who just does the job without the show muscles....

Big for Nothin'. That's Geno. Big for Nothin'. He's got the arm, he can run, but he's stupid, can't make reads, can't lead his offense,  can't get the basics and the fundamentals down, and doesn't know what it takes to be a leader of men.  Hes too full of himself and thinks its his due, because, as he has told us before, "he's very talented.".

Lol. Big. For. Nothin'...

Going into the season with Fitz, Petty, and a mid round rookie puts the whole season in Fitzpatrick's hands, and unless Petty really is that lightening in a bottle, the season is over if Fitz gets hurt. And then they're sitting at the top of the 2017 draft with two young QBs on the roster. 

Taking emotion out of the equation, Geno is a better insurance policy than Petty or a mid round rookie. 

So if Fitzy gets hurt, you're counting on the entitled one, who has done nothing to warrant any confidence, to be your savior. Good luck with that one. 

Not only does geno SUCK but he sounds like such a DICK  -_-

Duck Test.........If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. The test implies that a person can identify an unknown subject by observing that subject's habitual characteristics.

So if Fitzy gets hurt, you're counting on the entitled one, who has done nothing to warrant any confidence, to be your savior. Good luck with that one. 

Don't think I used the word savior. 

Lets get this straight: I don't particularly like Geno Smith. I didn't want the Jets to draft him, and I wanted Mark Sanchez to start over him in his rookie year. I do however admit to sticking with players the Jets do draft probably longer than I should, and I do have some natural empathy for immature introverts. 

Objectively, it's obvious that he has some physical talent, and also that he never should've started as a rookie. 

As an insurance policy, yes, I'd rather have Geno in his fourth year in the league over Petty and some mid/late round rookie. Love to see Petty pass him on the depth chart, and see Geno elsewhere in 2017. For 2016, you're really not going to do any better - especially at the cost. 

For everyone that thinks we should not cut Geno answer this

if he can not be traded for a seventh round pick it means 31 other teams don't want him, why do the Jets??

For everyone that thinks we should not cut Geno answer this

if he can not be traded for a seventh round pick it means 31 other teams don't want him, why do the Jets??

Mods have the same quoting problems as everyone else....

First of all, we don't know that they can't get a 7th rounder (or more) for him. But we do know that his stock is obviously low right now and that NFL teams place an irrationally high value on low picks. If the Jets do decide to cut him ASAP, I'd expect him to be picked up on waivers just as quickly, competing for a starting job on another QB starved team. But I don't think they will. 

Usually the backup QB's, even the year Sanchize got hurt, stand next to the coach and the starting QB to be involved in gameday strategy because you never know when you're going to get the call. It was one good habit that Mark had. 

Anyway, I used to make a point of looking down to the bench because we sit right above it and sure as almost every time I looked, Geno was not next to the coach, he was either sitting, throwing or talking to someone else. 

These are good habits and subtle observations that anyone who wants to take their game to the next level follow. I'm not trying to say that Geno doesn't think he wants the job, he may just not be all that bright. But it's my observation that he still doesn't have good habits. 

I wonder if I'm not the only one who caught this. 

With all this Geno Smith bashing going on please tell me or show me where Geno Smith has been anything but an admirable Jets player,backup QB or locker room team mate.

I see all this hate for a guy who all he tried to do was his best he could be to win games. Maybe he wasn't ready when Rex started him maybe he was poorly coached. 

He finished 8-8 and 4-12 no playoffs no different than Fitzpatrick 10-6 no playoffs. 

With all this Geno Smith bashing going on please tell me or show me where Geno Smith has been anything but an admirable Jets player,backup QB or locker room team mate.

I see all this hate for a guy who all he tried to do was his best he could be to win games. Maybe he wasn't ready when Rex started him maybe he was poorly coached. 

He finished 8-8 and 4-12 no playoffs no different than Fitzpatrick 10-6 no playoffs. 

First off I agree that there is need for Geno bashing, but please don't say "no differant" than Fitzpatrick.  To this point, Geno has never performed close to what Fitzpatrick did this season. Also don't blame Fitz for not making the playoffs, give him credit for helping to achieve 10 wins.

First off I agree that there is need for Geno bashing, but please don't say "no differant" than Fitzpatrick.  To this point, Geno has never performed close to what Fitzpatrick did this season. Also don't blame Fitz for not making the playoffs, give him credit for helping to achieve 10 wins.

i most certainly blame him for the Jets not making the playoffs 3 INTs in the last 3 possessions of the Bills game is the reason we arent playing today.

i most certainly blame him for the Jets not making the playoffs 3 INTs in the last 3 possessions of the Bills game is the reason we arent playing today.

They would not have won 10 games without him, and there is blame for ALL in the Bills game. Like the defense letting the Bills keep the ball 40 minutes.  

Going into the season with Fitz, Petty, and a mid round rookie puts the whole season in Fitzpatrick's hands, and unless Petty really is that lightening in a bottle, the season is over if Fitz gets hurt. And then they're sitting at the top of the 2017 draft with two young QBs on the roster. 

Taking emotion out of the equation, Geno is a better insurance policy than Petty or a mid round rookie. 

Maccagnan may take other things into consideration other than just talent (not that Geno has any). As GM he may be looking for certain personality traits and how those fit in with the rest of the players on the roster. Geno is immature, hasn't displayed leadership skills, doesn't seem to be very intelligent, and doesn't seem to be a very good teammate either. 

Honestly, Geno Smith just isn't someone who you want on your team. He's going to get cut.

Maccagnan may take other things into consideration other than just talent (not that Geno has any). As GM he may be looking for certain personality traits and how those fit in with the rest of the players on the roster. Geno is immature, hasn't displayed leadership skills, doesn't seem to be very intelligent, and doesn't seem to be a very good teammate either. 

Honestly, Geno Smith just isn't someone who you want on your team. He's going to get cut.

We'll see. Earliest it happens is after the draft, IMHO, unless Geno asks to be released - which is a real possibility. 

I've said all along that I think Geno's immediate future is directly tied to Bryce Petty. If they're happy with Petty's development, and potential as a starting QB, there's no reason not to keep the status quo. If they're not happy with Petty, then they need to do something else at QB -either a high pick or free agent- in which case Geno could easily be the odd man out. 

Maccagnan is also looking at a roster with a lot of needs. Two OL, two LB, two RB, a punter, a returner, off the top of my head. He has six draft picks and limited free agent cash this year. Why create another hole if he doesn't have to? He has enough to do. 

They would not have won 10 games without him, and there is blame for ALL in the Bills game. Like the defense letting the Bills keep the ball 40 minutes.  

From the Star-Ledger

I agree that Gailey had quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick throw it way too much, considering the conditions. But I don't have a problem with a pass in that spot, even though Fitzpatrick wound up getting intercepted. Rather, the problem was Fitzpatrick rushing the throw even as the Bills dropped eight into coverage. That's because Fitzpatrick had running back Chris Ivory wide open in the flat to the right side. Had he seen him, Ivory might have scored a touchdown, and you might be planning a trip to Cincinnati this weekend. Alas.

Too easygeno6.thumb.jpg.7465b19b08a6edceb48809d7

LOL.confweb3f-1-web.thumb.jpg.8b689456f16034

What do you mean I cant disregard the Flight Crew instructions...

image-1-1583512.thumb.jpg.515a72e271ee82

Thanks for grabbing me this sweater and not letting me go home and sulk in the corner, ma!i.thumb.jpg.e3b09b150f3ad8e9a892ec4ecc76

I wouidn't get rid of Geno for 2016. He's on the last year of his rookie deal and affordable. Look at injuries in the NFL, this season and teams like the Colts were signing half a dozen Qbs because everybody got hurt. He can play Qb in the NFL and is better than almost of those guys signed who started games later in the season. Of course if they re-sign Fitz and the team believes Petty can play they might try to trade him. Or as rumored they are interested in the North Dakota State Qb and if available at 20 drafted him. Then probably they get rid of him. 

I think we are all falling for the Fitzpatrick trap that got Buffalo also.  I like what Fitz did this year but don't kid yourselves.  We played a last place schedule and also the two worst divisions in the NFL.  Next year will be a different ballgame.  The last thing I want is for us to throw out support behind Fitz and he ends up playing the same way he has his whole career.  

I agree that if nothing is available then Fitz is the starter going into next year but I'd be actively looking for someone to compete with him during training camp.  We face a second place schedule and two very tough divisions next year.  It will be tough and judging by Fitzpatricks ten plus years of experience, I'm definitely not sold on him at all.

Yes this proves  it he's a bad player and a bad person for throwing a football when he was out with a jaw injury. Cut him immediately! :rolleyes:

Look he also has a disguise on like Johny Manziel

Sorry, this deserves more. You're an idiot, but I'll play...

Geno put himself in that position, because he acted like an entitled punk over $600 and helped create that situation. He essentially goaded a teammate into punching him in the locker room. He was the starting QB and face of a $2 Billion Dollar NFL Franchise, yet he was so immature, stupid, and apparently lacking in respect from the guys in his own locker room that he got punched in the face, and the collective reaction from his team was a grimace from his coach and a shrug from his teammates.  

Wow.

He then goes on to once again be the epic embarrassment that he simply is by going against team and doctors orders to go full T.O. with his moronic driveway throwing session, with his comically swollen face.

Really? Great teammate. LOL.

So this is like his front lawn at his house right? So he put eye black on to throw the ball out on his lawn? Really? No wonder why he gets himself punched in the jaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this overblown story proves nothing to anyone other than to people who hate him.  A total nonstory blown up.  If you love him you would say look how he's trying.  

Hes where he is for valid reasons.  This isn't one of them

So this is like his front lawn at his house right? So he put eye black on to throw the ball out on his lawn? Really? No wonder why he gets himself punched in the jaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not eye black its kinesio tape used for pain and swelling.  

Once the jets resign Fitz Geno is a goner.  There will be qb's available second half of round 1 we can take and try to develop 

geno will end up being a backup somewhere

In the scenario where the Jets want to take a QB in the first round, they still need to hold onto Geno until after the draft - and really probably all thru training camp as a fourth arm. The only way they should move Geno before the draft is if they sign a veteran to replace him - which is also dumb. 

Archived