Derrick Henry?

Jetster

The problems with him I see are that not only is he very tall but he runs upright as well.  There have been other guys as tall or near as tall as him but I haven't seen many that run upright as well.  He'll run through a hole and is big enough and fast enough to make a big play if he does but I see a player that will get you 1, 3, -3, 1, 2, -1, 4, 3, 57, 2, -1 yards kind of a thing.  He'll end up with decent ypg stats and a decent looking average but he will have a large standard deviation in these stats.

RB will be very interesting for the Jets this year.  Ivory and Powell I want to keep, may not be possible.  I want nothing to do with the other dregs in our stable.  From day one I never saw this teams love of Ridely.

let's look at it a different way....7 of the 8 teams left have franchise QB's (Alex Smith would be 8 but he's borderline) If you don't have a franchise QB you need to find your offense somewhere else.  A difference making RB can certainly be that player.

If there's a RB there with a 1st round grade you absolutely have to consider him.

No, you don't have to consider him at all. You consider a difference making RB in another round, where there is value. If the RB isn't worth a top 5 pick, he isn't worth it at 20. 3rd or 4th round will have plenty of difference making running backs that can be acquired. The value of drafting a running back in round one just simply isn't there.

The problems with him I see are that not only is he very tall but he runs upright as well.  There have been other guys as tall or near as tall as him but I haven't seen many that run upright as well.  He'll run through a hole and is big enough and fast enough to make a big play if he does but I see a player that will get you 1, 3, -3, 1, 2, -1, 4, 3, 57, 2, -1 yards kind of a thing.  He'll end up with decent ypg stats and a decent looking average but he will have a large standard deviation in these stats.

RB will be very interesting for the Jets this year.  Ivory and Powell I want to keep, may not be possible.  I want nothing to do with the other dregs in our stable.  From day one I never saw this teams love of Ridely.

Maybe, maybe not. He wins games though. It's not razzle dazzle Nevada pistol smoke and mirrors. Guys like Henry banging through the line are what actually get you TDs. There's sustained production with what he brings to the table. Zero gimmick. 

"Maybe, maybe not. He wins games though. It's not razzle dazzle Nevada pistol smoke and mirrors. Guys like Henry banging through the line are what actually get you TDs. There's sustained production with what he brings to the table. Zero gimmick. "

Well, he wins you games when you are Alabama, a team stacked at most positions.  Tim Tebow wins you games as well.  I will have to disagree with you about the sustained production as per my example i listed as to how I think he will do.   I think there will be a lot of runs like you saw last night vs clemson, stacked up at the line or in the back field. Of his 36 carries last night 25 of them were for 4 yards or less.

His success will be dependent on what type of team he goes to imo, other backs like Elliot and your fav guy Gurley will do will well with most any team.

If he gets a step or two beyond the line of scrimmage, and manages to fall forward on the tackle, he should be good for 4-4.5 YPC based on his length and inertia alone.  I am not so sure of how he fits today's NFL, though.  Holes will close a lot quicker than in college and more tacklers will be there quickly.  Tougher to break tackles, too. Once he gets through,he is as explosive as heck and his long stride turns into an asset.  I think comparisons to Trent Richardson are off the mark, as are the Eric Dickerson comparisons.  No way I burn a first round pick on him -- a value-pick, multi-faceted back later on is my preference. But I don't think Henry will be a bust.

No, you don't have to consider him at all. You consider a difference making RB in another round, where there is value. If the RB isn't worth a top 5 pick, he isn't worth it at 20. 3rd or 4th round will have plenty of difference making running backs that can be acquired. The value of drafting a running back in round one just simply isn't there.

I'm sorry. Not sure I understand what you're saying. 

Pick 1-5 you can take a RB, but at 20 there aren't any RB's worthy of being drafted?

I would think a GM/Scout could have a mid to late first round grade on a RB - and in that case he has to be considered.  I'm not saying you MUST take him but he should be considered amongst others with similar grades.  

I can kinda see what you're saying as a direct BPA draft - but this a MAJOR position of need.  

If he gets a step or two beyond the line of scrimmage, and manages to fall forward on the tackle, he should be good for 4-4.5 YPC based on his length and inertia alone.  I am not so sure of how he fits today's NFL, though.  Holes will close a lot quicker than in college and more tacklers will be there quickly.  Tougher to break tackles, too. Once he gets through,he is as explosive as heck and his long stride turns into an asset.  I think comparisons to Trent Richardson are off the mark, as are the Eric Dickerson comparisons.  No way I burn a first round pick on him -- a value-pick, multi-faceted back later on is my preference. But I don't think Henry will be a bust.

he'd probably play like Jacobs, just a bulldozer but with that size you have to think he's an asset in pass protection too

I'm sorry. Not sure I understand what you're saying. 

Pick 1-5 you can take a RB, but at 20 there aren't any RB's worthy of being drafted?

I would think a GM/Scout could have a mid to late first round grade on a RB - and in that case he has to be considered.  I'm not saying you MUST take him but he should be considered amongst others with similar grades.  

I can kinda see what you're saying as a direct BPA draft - but this a MAJOR position of need.  

If a running back has transcendent talent like an Adrian Peterson, a franchise player, no doubt about him, going to run into the record books player, then he's worth taking in the top 5 picks. If he's anything less than that, it's not worth taking him in the first round because he's as likely to bust as it is a 2nd round player or 3rd round player or UDFA even will succeed with a decent offensive line and a solid offense.

RB is not a major position of need, not in today's NFL. It's a position where you rotate 2-3 guys weekly and ride the hot hand and each guy does something a little different than everyone else. The Jets will need a running back or two, but it's no longer a position to put big money or high draft picks into anymore. The Jets have more pressing needs at linebacker and tackle both of those positions should take precedent.

If a running back has transcendent talent like an Adrian Peterson, a franchise player, no doubt about him, going to run into the record books player, then he's worth taking in the top 5 picks. If he's anything less than that, it's not worth taking him in the first round because he's as likely to bust as it is a 2nd round player or 3rd round player or UDFA even will succeed with a decent offensive line and a solid offense.

RB is not a major position of need, not in today's NFL. It's a position where you rotate 2-3 guys weekly and ride the hot hand and each guy does something a little different than everyone else. The Jets will need a running back or two, but it's no longer a position to put big money or high draft picks into anymore. The Jets have more pressing needs at linebacker and tackle both of those positions should take precedent.

It's rotational because most guys can either run or catch or block, if you find one that can do many of these things they are worth a 1st round pick under the right circumstances.  I would not be opposed to the Jets drafting Elliot at 20 depending on who else is on the board because I view him as a very good runner and receiver, not sure how good of a blocker he is.  Henry is a straight ahead runner, maybe a decent blocker, not a receiver.

Certain positions just aren't worth it.  You can always acquire decent RBs that will thrive if you can build a good OL.  To me the OL is more valuable.  WR is another position that is generally not worth spending a high 1st rounder on (though at pick 20 we're not a "high 1st rounder" so that's to be considered).  We signed Decker and traded a 5th for Marshall.  Our WR situation is fine.  Even though I badly wanted Amari Cooper last year, I think we did fine w/ Leonard Williams (who plays a highly valued position).  Basically the valued positions seem to be QB, LT, DE, CB, DT, and LB (with QB obviously the most important.  The rest are up for debate).  If we could guarantee a guy of Gurley's ability though I'd have to think the Jets would consider it at pick #20.  Maybe Elliot or Fournette if they're around?  I'd like to see a trade up for a QB though (e.g. Goff).

(disclaimer: I don't follow college football much). 

no definitely not a lock but you bring up an interesting point about first round grades for RB prospects. Look at 2008 for instance:  

Darren McFadden, Round 1 (No. 4 overall)
Jonathan Stewart, Round 1 (13)
Felix Jones, Round 1 (22)
Rashard Mendenhall, Round 1 (23)
Chris Johnson, Round 1 (24)
Matt Forte, Round 2 (44)
Ray Rice, Round 2 (55)
Jamaal Charles, Round 3 (73)

that said, if youre mccagnan and you got a back at 20 that you think could be the bellcow for the next 5+ years you take that guy otherwise might as well wait and hope one shakes loose. I just don't want to strike out like the jets did with the last great WR class

That was a great year for RBs. I hated McFadden and loved Stewart

Who do you see as a good fit for the Jets?

honestly I love the backs in 2017 with chubb and fournette but I'm not sure yet who is my favorite this year. I don't really get into the prospects until after the combine but elliot and henry definitely pass the eye test and I would be thrilled with either as of right now

I mostly agree but look at what happened to dallas, they basically let murray walk and said we can get any JAG to run well behind our great OL and struggled all year

I mostly agree but look at what happened to dallas, they basically let murray walk and said we can get any JAG to run well behind our great OL and struggled all year

That's a fair point, but when Romo and Bryant went down, teams stacked the box. Not sure that's fair to ask of any RB to do that. 

Archived