..should the jets cut Antonio Cromartie ? ? ?

kelly

14 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Why in the hell would Comartie restructure and take a pay cut?

Because if doesn't the Jets will cut him and at that point there's no guarantee they bring him back, could go another way and he wants to stay in NY. 

We're lucky to have found Marcus Williams as a udfa. It's time to make him the permanent #2 guy. Eventually were gonna have to start playing our younger players or we'll lose the guys who make a lot of money.  It's time to let our 30+ players walk and give young guys a chance. 

We we should be talking about letting brick walk instead of letting mo go.  Yes I know that sucks and it's risky but you don't get better by letting your great young players go to keep a 30+ guy that might play 1 more year or 2. It's time to get younger, faster and keep the core that's in their prime. 

The same situation with him happened in 2013 when he was injured and slacked off so Idzik cut him. He rebounded under Bowles in Arizona and had a good year for the Cardinals. But lets face it the guy gets scorched all of the time. If you re-sign him it means he will probably be a starter. Would he be willing to have a reduced role? And take less money. The Jets have a few guys who might be ready to take his spot like Marcus Williams. I might even add Milliner to the mix because I still think he can be a starter in this league. I might think this way but does Bowles regard Milliner as a possible starter? Based on last season no. I'll accept his judgment on this because he knows what he's doing esp with DBs. 

Oh man it's a tough one. Guess it depends on how FA and draft shake out. Cannot rely on Millner.

On 2/12/2016 at 7:50 AM, bassmaster2 said:

He not the only one beaning over paid , hope he takes a pay cut, Revis is over paid too make him take a play cut too 

Man that's so easy. You should be GM. Just convince guys to be paid in bubble gum. You sir are a visionary.

4 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

There's also Skrine and Mcdougle plus they will draft someone.

You can't pay Cro $8 million next season to be a backup

And if they feel good about it then cut him. But my point is can't make decision based on a gut feel. Need to consider where that leaves the cupboard. Easy to say "overpaid!" but need to consider what else can you get? If Fitz signs for let's say $10 and people think that's "overpaying" by $1... based on what? Who else will you get for 9 who is equal or better? Sometimes gotta pay a guy.

On 2/12/2016 at 2:43 PM, PatsFanTX said:

Why would Cromartie take a significant pay cut?

He's in the twilight of his career and will take all the money he can get.

Because he has no guaranteed money left in his contract.  If the Jets cut him, I doubt he will get any offer higher than $4M.  That said, if I were Cro, I would test the market prior to signing a reduced contract with the Jets.  

Archived