The Jets QB Situation

joewilly12

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/21/2016 at 10:17 AM, joewilly12 said:

I think that Quincy is a coming player. He had flashes of good play last year even though he doesn't have very much NFL experience. And he can block. You'd think the Jets would go out to sign an experienced TE (like Cook) or draft a guy and of course Amaro a good receiving TE is coming back in 2016. Cumberland for whatever reason was not used in terms of receiving last season but he did play a lot. So if he wasn't doing his job on offense he wouldn't have been starting most games. Gailey just chose not to throw to him. Same goes for Kerley. (He chose Decker in that role over Kerley who was for most games invisible on offense). They threw mostly to two guys, their main bread and butter receivers. And the running backs. So maybe we don't get a tight end at least someone who will cost money. We might be ok if Quincy keeps improving. 

14 hours ago, King P said:

Would rather not re-sign Fitz and have to deal with him any longer than we have to. He had a fluke year, aided by the weapons we had plus a cupcake schedule. He'll come back down to Earth next year.

This is all fine and good to say, I really have no issue with people not liking Fitzpatrick and expecting him to falter, he probably will not be a s good next year.

My follow up question is the same though.  Who is our QB next year?  No one on the roster and no rookie is going to be better than Fitzpatrick.  By tossing Fitzpatrick and not having a better replacement the years is sewered before it has begun.

So OP thinks starting either the worst QB in the NFL from 2013-2014 or a rookie no one (including his coaches) thinks is ready, is a better option than the affordable resigning of a well-like, well-respected, record-setting, 10 win mentor-veteran QB.

Because our future is brighter that way because.....yeah.

The OP is partially right, we SHOULD draft a QB this year.  So we can cut Geno Smith.

It never ceases to amaze me the twisty-pretzel logic some folks go through to try and validate their not-well- camouflage Geno Smith man-love in order to arrive at a situation where the only "right" move is to start Geno yet again.  Then again, OP is famous for his insanity on this topic, s what did I expect. 

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is all fine and good to say, I really have no issue with people not liking Fitzpatrick and expecting him to falter, he probably will not be a s good next year.

My follow up question is the same though.  Who is our QB next year?  No one on the roster and no rookie is going to be better than Fitzpatrick.  By tossing Fitzpatrick and not having a better replacement the years is sewered before it has begun.

Exactly.  Fitz is not an answer, but he's a vastly better answer that Geno Smith or a not-quite-ready Petty.

Of course he may falter some in 2015, although he may not too.  But there is little chance to he falters to Geno Smith levels of failure.

Short term best option is Fitz.  Long term best option is petty or a Draft Pick, mentored by Fitz for a year or two as needed.

The only way around that is to sign another veteran QB.  I'm not seeing alot of better options available. 

21 hours ago, Mainejet said:

We beat two teams w/ a winning record? Since when? We beat the Patsies, yeah I got that. But who the hell else did we beat with a winning record? The Jets have beaten two teams with a winning record in the last two seasons. Pittsburgh and NE 

We also beat the Washington Redskins they finished 9-7 

22 hours ago, Mainejet said:

We beat two teams w/ a winning record? Since when? We beat the Patsies, yeah I got that. But who the hell else did we beat with a winning record? The Jets have beaten two teams with a winning record in the last two seasons. Pittsburgh and NE 

And the Pats beat 2 with winning records, 3 with us.  We beat 2.

So? Thats the way the game is played.

22 hours ago, King P said:

Would rather not re-sign Fitz and have to deal with him any longer than we have to. He had a fluke year, aided by the weapons we had plus a cupcake schedule. He'll come back down to Earth next year.

What is your plan that you would rather do at QB?

2 hours ago, ljr said:

What is your plan that you would rather do at QB?

If you want to go out and sign a QB, I say give Kaepernick a shot. His upside is much higher (he's already more accomplished than Fitz) plus he'll come cheaper. Same with RG3.

Give Petty a shot or give Geno one last chance (a full season).

Also draft a QB of course. Btw, if we would have tanked for Jameis Winston like I wanted us too, we wouldn't be having this problem.

But of course, all of our fans will shoot this down and pretend that Fitz is the answer. So I've already prepared myself for the return of Fitzpatrick. It's whatever.

10 hours ago, King P said:

If you want to go out and sign a QB, I say give Kaepernick a shot. His upside is much higher (he's already more accomplished than Fitz) plus he'll come cheaper. Same with RG3.

Also draft a QB of course. Btw, if we would have tanked for Jameis Winston like I wanted us too, we wouldn't be having this problem.

But of course, all of our fans will shoot this down and pretend that Fitz is the answer. So I've already prepared myself for the return of Fitzpatrick. It's whatever.

Appreciate the reply, although I disagree with most of it.

i think Cap is more expensive than Fitz's new deal is projected at ... Although I don't have the numbers at my fingertips. I'm also more a fan of the "pocket QB" than the scrambling outside of the pocket Cap/RG3 type of QB, jmo

i believe Petty's best long term chance is to sit another year & I've already written Geno off as not the answer.

i am on board with drafting a late round QB to have the next up & comer already in the pipeline if Petty doesn't eventually work out. Winston has nothing to do with our present or future.

7 hours ago, Mainejet said:

But they didn't have a winning record when we played them, so no dice. The Jets beat ONE team with a winning record this season.

Come on man ... You can't start just breaking teams down to what their record at that particular moment of the season was.

the Jets 2015 season turned out to have a lot of softer games than a year often will ... You are exaggerating though if you are not willing to give our team credit for their victory over Washington.

otherwise you open Pandora's box and start having crazy conversations like the Saints get awesome credit for week 6 when the beat the 4-1 Falcons ... And disregard Atlanta finished as an 8-8 average team.

1 hour ago, ljr said:

Come on man ... You can't start just breaking teams down to what their record at that particular moment of the season was.

the Jets 2015 season turned out to have a lot of softer games than a year often will ... You are exaggerating though if you are not willing to give our team credit for their victory over Washington.

otherwise you open Pandora's box and start having crazy conversations like the Saints get awesome credit for week 6 when the beat the 4-1 Falcons ... And disregard Atlanta finished as an 8-8 average team.

WTF are you talking about? Stop ignoring what I am saying. What I said was, "When the Jets beat the Redskins they had a LOSING record, so no dice. What part of that is untrue?

So what is it for Jets fans? If they beat the Patsies in 2006 then the Jets beat them in 2007 when they were undefeated? That's stupidity. Whatever record a particular team has at the time the Jets played them is the truth. You can't say that because they finished with a winning record at the conclusion of the season, that the Jets beat a winning team. That's a complete crock of sh*t.

12 hours ago, King P said:

Kaep will not be cheaper than fitz.  Both kaep and RG3 are trending downward not upward.  Petty, not ready, Geno is awful.

Thus the solution is to tank the season.

I still find it a bit mind boggling that we have suffered through some just horrible QBing over the last 6,7,8 years and we finally get a vet who the players like and respond to and who had a very good year (and he did have a very good year) and because he is not the future franchise guy people want to junk him.

The jets have a plan and are doing it the right way.  Keep the vet who can mentor and get some results, while knowing he is not the saviour.  Develop the guy you drafted last year, draft another guy and develop.  Be ready to pounce on a franchise looking QB in the next few drafts.

Bringing in a Qb from another team is basically starting over. And if this team is a playoff contender then why would you want to do that. As for Kap he failed with the 49ers and is a Qb in regression. Not sure about his contract status if he's cut by the Niners. 

On 2/22/2016 at 7:16 PM, Mainejet said:

2 hours ago, ljr said:

You are correct. Under his logic, if you beat a team that finished a season with a 15-1 record on opening day, you didn't beat a winning team because they 0-0 when you plated them.  Ridiculous!

39 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Bringing in a Qb from another team is basically starting over. And if this team is a playoff contender then why would you want to do that. As for Kap he failed with the 49ers and is a Qb in regression. Not sure about his contract status if he's cut by the Niners. 

Trouble is- the Jets next year will not be a playoff contending team.

1 minute ago, peebag said:

Trouble is- the Jets next year will not be a playoff contending team.

Who really thought we would be one this year?  Even with a soft sched before the season we 'hoped' we would be in contention coming off a 4 win season.

The question is do people think enough of these other alternatives to think they are any more of a long term answer than Fitz, Petty and new drafted guy and hope petty nor new guy is really good.

14 hours ago, King P said:

I wanted Winston too but Kaepernick sucks

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Who really thought we would be one this year?  Even with a soft sched before the season we 'hoped' we would be in contention coming off a 4 win season.

The question is do people think enough of these other alternatives to think they are any more of a long term answer than Fitz, Petty and new drafted guy and hope petty nor new guy is really good.

Even if we lose Wilkerson we still have a good defense as long as we resign Snacks, Marshall and Decker are both beasts, and the afc isn't great

Just now, drdetroit said:

Oh I recall us being a kenbrell Tompkins dropped pass away from making a significant run with Fitz as the qb

6 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Even if we lose Wilkerson we still have a good defense as long as we resign Snacks, Marshall and Decker are both beasts, and the afc isn't great

Back to back terrible post by you, first of all the ball to kenbrell was under thrown and he got hit as soon as it got there, also the afc will be great again next year when the Ravens and steelers are back to being healthy, and a team like the jags adds a safety and a corner, and one d linemen, as their offense is already prolific 

the delusion in this fanbase is atrocious 

On February 21, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Tinstar said:

After reading the comments in this topic, I can now see why it's so easy for fans and NFL execs alike to make the mistakes they make on certain prospects minus those prospects who can't seem to stay out of trouble .  Football isn't about stats folks but about people doing the Job they have been assigned to do and doing it well..  Sometimes a player can do his job extremely well and not make a single tackle in a football game. 

What would the stats say about that player  ?

Revis island is a good example 

On February 21, 2016 at 11:43 AM, johnnysd said:

You really need to look at the quality of those 10 victories and assess whether or not it is likely repeated. I think that we were much worse than our record, stayed very healthy, are a year older and face a brutal schedule. Because of that, yes I think we need to rebuild.

What team do you watch?  We were very healthy?  

We had Cro, Williams, Revis, Wall, Gilchrist and Pryor miss time and/or play injured.

We lost our starting TE.  We lost our 2nd TE.  The fill in TEs had injuries.

We lost our RBs.  Our 1 missed time and played injured and ultimately was injured for our most important game of the year.  Our 2 wasn't there either, missed even more time than Ivory.  Our 3 was put on IR and wasn't available when our 1 & 2 were out.  

Marshall was injured for a stretch.  Our number 3 WR missed most of the season.

We lost our K early for the season.

brutal schedule.  Lol, get over the friggen schedule.  When all is said and done schedule will be fine.  Crying over the schedule is lame

Yes we had a weak schedule last year and it definitely was a key contributor to our 10 win season.  This year the schedule will be tougher but we will be in the second year of the program and based on a better understanding of both the offense and defense we should be a better team.  No one can tell for sure if we can match last years win total but I for one would like to take the chance that we can.  There may or may not be better QB's than Fitz available but we do know that he fits in this offense and that his teammates have confidence in him.  In my opinion Fitz gives us the best chance to make the playoffs.  I know the naysayers will say he has never led a team to the playoffs and that is true, but, he showed great leadership this year and I think he has a 2 - 3 year window to succeed.

Can anyone remember why we signed Fritz in the first place? His role was to be the backup, not the starter. Offer him a reasonable fair deal for two years and if he balks he can walk.

You keep Geno as he will have had a chance to sit and learn last year, which he never had from day one. He is cost effective for one more year. You let him compete for the starters job against Fitz. If Fitz is as good as many here believe, he should beat out Geno easily. If Geno is as bad as many of you believe, he would have learned nothing from last year and be no threat to Fitz.

No one should be handed there job, all our players should be made to earn them.

With this formula you either have a solid vet leading the team with a experience starter backing him up ,at an affordable cap number. With your third string QB getting one more year to watch and learn and get further up to speed on the pro level

The other side of this coin is, that a young QB beats out the old vet and you possibly have found you long term answer at the QB spot, because the lights finally have come on for the guy you were about to give away for nothing to another team. Then you get a solid veteran QB in his proper role backing up a possible franchise QB, with your third QB getting another year to sit and learn, this time with that very smart experienced vet to learn from.

If it's the first scenario then Geno gets released next season and Petty steps in as the third year backup and we draft another young prospect to groom. Fitz plays one more year if healthy and Petty takes over in his forth year with Fitz as his backup if he chooses to stay. Otherwise we sign another older veteran to backup Petty and help groom the rookie draft pick.

If Geno wins out Fitz backs him up this season and we give him the option next season to stay as the back up with Petty given another year to grow or leave with Petty as our number two and a draft pick to groom for the future. I think this is a win win all around.

Archived