My pre combine QB rankings.

Tony The Wiz

I watched at least 200 college games as well as all star games.  I love college football and the competiveness. This was a great year for college QBS.  Here goes my rankings and where they deserve to go in the draft. Obviously some positions go earlier than others like QBS over fullbacks. 

1. Jared Goff -Top 5 pick. He was up and down but the talent level around him wasn't great. He is most ready QB. 

2. Paxton Lynch - Just slightly ahead of Wentz just because there is more good film on him this year. Both big and both have good arms and great athleticism. I see him as a top  pogoing between 8 to 12.

3.  Carson Wentz - He also should go from 8 to 15.

4. Connor Cook - An enigma he is. Why wasn't he voted a captain on his team. Is he a good teammate. Why was his play not as good as last year. Not the greatest arm but a great competitor. He looks suited for the pro game. This could be the best for him as he will drop to the end of the first round and to a better team. I could see Pittsburgh drafting him since Rothleisberger always gets beat up.

5. Nate Sudfeld - This guy gets no respect by the experts. I see places where he is a seventh rounder. Did anyone see this QB this year. Every time I watched him he put up great numbers and reminds me of Carson Palmer but not as accurate as Carson. He does have more of a running ability than Carson. I like him and I think he should be drafted at the end of the 2nd or early third. Draft him and let him sit for a year or two or in Pittsburg case have him prepared like the Patriots are doing with their back up.

6. Brandon Allen - This is ever a surprise to me but I watch his progression since the beginning of the year and his improvement was incredible. He is not a big QB at 6:2 but he has a good arm and is tough as nails. See him a late third or early fourth. 

7. Jacoby Brissett  - Now here we have a playmaker who could beat you equally with arm and legs. He also has size at 6:3 at has a good arm and another good competitor. He could give you fits. Late 3rd to early 4th is where I see him going.

8. My surprise at eight is Vernon Adams. He makes just as many plays as Briskett if not more. I been watching him when he was playing for Eastern Washington on the red field. He is a poor man version of Russell Wilson. He is only 5:10 1/2 but throws the ball like a 6:5 QB. Another QB who needs to be drafted in the right situation like Wilson was. See him going late but he deserves at least an early 4th round pick. 

9. 10. 11.  All three are so close I have to group them since each has a major flaw. By the way the Ohio St. QB is not one of them. I don't like him and think he is a stiff. My three QBs are Hackenberg, Hogan and Driiskell. Hogan is a winner and a great leader but he has a big flaw in his throwing motion. He really needs a good QB coach and needs to be refined but his heart is huge. Hackenberg is just the opposite. He has everything in size, arm, pro type QB but has no heart. Did anyone see the Temple game. It looked like he was a sitting duck and reminded me of Cutler when he gave up in Monday night game against the Giants. The third is Driskell who was a transfer from Florida and had a good year and looked like he improved. He also is 6:4 and has a good arm but there is not enough good tape on him. So who would I pick. I like Driskell for my ninth rated Qb. He could get molded and he has the size.  10 will go to Hogan since he has the smarts and determination to get better. Hackenberg is my 11 rated QB but he has all the tools. He should of stood in college. I think I remember saying that about a not to long ago Jet QB named Sanchez. All three of these Qbs should go late 4th to early 6th.

12. Brandon Doughty - love him at Wester Kentucky but his play was up and down. Do like him in the late 6th. I had him as a fourth rounder but his play deminished. He also needs so good QB coaching 

12. Dak Presscott - A smaller version of Cam Newton when he came out. Needs to work on his arm but he is a good tough QB and needs good QB coaching. He is only 6:2 so that in itself is a disadvantage. I see him going late 6th or early 7th.

Other Qbs out there who is interesting is Vad  Lee and Jake Coker. Jake Ruddock of Michigan was doing well but faded drastically. Did like him but at 6:2 was not the next Tom Brady. Basic free agents as is Joel Stave and oh yeah the QB from Ohio St. One Qb that I forget is the U.S.C  QB who I just can't rate after having Sanchez and seeing Cassell and the lefty Qb who was drafted by Arizona and was a disaster. I can't believe I forgot his name since he won the Heismon but that's how forgetful he was. 

53 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I watched at least 200 college games as well as all star games.  I love college football and the competiveness. This was a great year for college QBS.  Here goes my rankings and where they deserve to go in the draft. Obviously some positions go earlier than others like QBS over fullbacks. 

1. Jared Goff -Top 5 pick. He was up and down but the talent level around him wasn't great. He is most ready QB. 

2. Paxton Lynch - Just slightly ahead of Wentz just because there is more good film on him this year. Both big and both have good arms and great athleticism. I see him as a top  pogoing between 8 to 12.

3.  Carson Wentz - He also should go from 8 to 15.

4. Connor Cook - An enigma he is. Why wasn't he voted a captain on his team. Is he a good teammate. Why was his play not as good as last year. Not the greatest arm but a great competitor. He looks suited for the pro game. This could be the best for him as he will drop to the end of the first round and to a better team. I could see Pittsburgh drafting him since Rothleisberger always gets beat up.

5. Nate Sudfeld - This guy gets no respect by the experts. I see places where he is a seventh rounder. Did anyone see this QB this year. Every time I watched him he put up great numbers and reminds me of Carson Palmer but not as accurate as Carson. He does have more of a running ability than Carson. I like him and I think he should be drafted at the end of the 2nd or early third. Draft him and let him sit for a year or two or in Pittsburg case have him prepared like the Patriots are doing with their back up.

6. Brandon Allen - This is ever a surprise to me but I watch his progression since the beginning of the year and his improvement was incredible. He is not a big QB at 6:2 but he has a good arm and is tough as nails. See him a late third or early fourth. 

7. Jacoby Brissett  - Now here we have a playmaker who could beat you equally with arm and legs. He also has size at 6:3 at has a good arm and another good competitor. He could give you fits. Late 3rd to early 4th is where I see him going.

8. My surprise at eight is Vernon Adams. He makes just as many plays as Briskett if not more. I been watching him when he was playing for Eastern Washington on the red field. He is a poor man version of Russell Wilson. He is only 5:10 1/2 but throws the ball like a 6:5 QB. Another QB who needs to be drafted in the right situation like Wilson was. See him going late but he deserves at least an early 4th round pick. 

9. 10. 11.  All three are so close I have to group them since each has a major flaw. By the way the Ohio St. QB is not one of them. I don't like him and think he is a stiff. My three QBs are Hackenberg, Hogan and Driiskell. Hogan is a winner and a great leader but he has a big flaw in his throwing motion. He really needs a good QB coach and needs to be refined but his heart is huge. Hackenberg is just the opposite. He has everything in size, arm, pro type QB but has no heart. Did anyone see the Temple game. It looked like he was a sitting duck and reminded me of Cutler when he gave up in Monday night game against the Giants. The third is Driskell who was a transfer from Florida and had a good year and looked like he improved. He also is 6:4 and has a good arm but there is not enough good tape on him. So who would I pick. I like Driskell for my ninth rated Qb. He could get molded and he has the size.  10 will go to Hogan since he has the smarts and determination to get better. Hackenberg is my 11 rated QB but he has all the tools. He should of stood in college. I think I remember saying that about a not to long ago Jet QB named Sanchez. All three of these Qbs should go late 4th to early 6th.

12. Brandon Doughty - love him at Wester Kentucky but his play was up and down. Do like him in the late 6th. I had him as a fourth rounder but his play deminished. He also needs so good QB coaching 

12. Dak Presscott - A smaller version of Cam Newton when he came out. Needs to work on his arm but he is a good tough QB and needs good QB coaching. He is only 6:2 so that in itself is a disadvantage. I see him going late 6th or early 7th.

Other Qbs out there who is interesting is Vad  Lee and Jake Coker. Jake Ruddock of Michigan was doing well but faded drastically. Did like him but at 6:2 was not the next Tom Brady. Basic free agents as is Joel Stave and oh yeah the QB from Ohio St. One Qb that I forget is the U.S.C  QB who I just can't rate after having Sanchez and seeing Cassell and the lefty Qb who was drafted by Arizona and was a disaster. I can't believe I forgot his name since he won the Heismon but that's how forgetful he was. 

Matt Leinert

Appreciate the insightful post.

I'm all in for Hogan! Hogan! Hogan!

i stated this in the draft forum, Hogan has his flaws but has all the intangibles and measureables. He would serve as a great understudy to Fitzy while learning the QB position under the tutelage of Chan Gailey. Jets won't go far with a rookie QB this year and the CS has stated their desire to resign #14, so draft Hogan in the later rounds and groom him as a possible heir apparent after sitting a year or two to sharpen his pro game. As The Wiz Stated, he has the heart to improve and will master his craft. Coach him up, improve his mechanics (as Phillip Rivers eventually did) and he could be a Real Steal!

8 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Appreciate the insightful post.

I'm all in for Hogan! Hogan! Hogan!

i stated this in the draft forum, Hogan has his flaws but has all the intangibles and measureables. He would serve as a great understudy to Fitzy while learning the QB position under the tutelage of Chan Gailey. Jets won't go far with a rookie QB this year and the CS has stated their desire to resign #14, so draft Hogan in the later rounds and groom him as a possible heir apparent after sitting a year or two to sharpen his pro game. As The Wiz Stated, he has the heart to improve and will master his craft. Coach him up, improve his mechanics (as Phillip Rivers eventually did) and he could be a Real Steal!

Are you really considering choosing another QB to sit a year or two with hopes he's the next Tom Brady. We cannot continue to keep wasting draft picks on these project QBs we have way too many other glaring needs. We need to break the bank and get a franchise QB in here once and for all enough is enough. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Are you really considering choosing another QB to sit a year or two with hopes he's the next Tom Brady. We cannot continue to keep wasting draft picks on these project QBs we have way too many other glaring needs. We need to break the bank and get a franchise QB in here once and for all enough is enough. 

Have to wait till next yr,  Cochon rie this yr

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Si pendejo. Es la QB teoría de Don Ron Wolf. Siga eligiendo un QB hasta que uno pega por fin.

Jets shouldn't mortgage picks to move up and no QB in '16 is a hands-down Franchise QB without caveats. I'm a Wentz believer after the Combine, but NO WAY we mortgage the house on him as we did for Sanchez.

Hogan or bust, IMO. Let him sit & wait under Fitzy's new 2-3 year deal meanwhile KEEP INVESTING premium draft picks in solidifying the team with Depth & Talent at other positions. Lessen the burden on the QB with a WELL-ROUNDED team so as not mandated that he carry them o. His shoulders and a prospect like Hogan can be sufficient competent game manager down the road.

I would think Wentz and Brissett will move up in your ranking after the combine, Adams also looked decent, too bad Cardale did not get a chance, I think the new OC hurt his development last year and maybe UDFA status will motivate him...

I liked Cook at the beginning of the year but he has regressed and continues to move down, still would take him in the later rounds but some team will take him before the Jets 4th round pick

29 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I liked Cook at the beginning of the year but he has regressed and continues to move down, still would take him in the later rounds but some team will take him before the Jets 4th round pick

He really was exposed yesterday. I don't think you can fix his accuracy. He will drive fans crazy.  

4 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

He really was exposed yesterday. I don't think you can fix his accuracy. He will drive fans crazy.  

Sounds a Lot like what happened to Bridgewater at the combine . Somebody is going to take a chance on this kid and get themselves one hell of a QB.

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

I just don't see a big market for an inaccurate QB who is despised by his teammates.

There's a kid ion the Kansas city Chiefs Roster who had the same problem . I wonder what it would take to get him away from the Chiefs today.  Unless this kid committed some crime I don't know about, I could care less about his standing with his teammates. On the Football field, his team wins more than it loses and that's what's important at the end of a football game . 

He's a tough kid who can make the throws required in the NFL . 

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

There's a kid ion the Kansas city Chiefs Roster who had the same problem . I wonder what it would take to get him away from the Chiefs today.  Unless this kid committed some crime I don't know about, I could care less about his standing with his teammates. On the Football field, his team wins more than it loses and that's what's important at the end of a football game . 

I think it's a huge issue when you are talking about the QB position. He has to be the leader of the team when he is on the field.It's almost impossible to lead when you don't have the respect of the guys in the huddle. Would you 'go the extra mile" for somebody you don't respect? I know I wouldn't.

32 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Many Chefs fans would rather have Chase Daniel starting than Smith

29 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think it's a huge issue when you are talking about the QB position. He has to be the leader of the team when he is on the field.It's almost impossible to lead when you don't have the respect of the guys in the huddle. Would you 'go the extra mile" for somebody you don't respect? I know I wouldn't.

If I'm on an NFL team my motivation for playing well is to get paid and win the championship, not liking my teammate who might not be my teammate when free agency comes around .  I remember hearing something in a movie about world war 1 once, and it applies to the NFL in the free agency era . It's not nice to make friends because the friendship  you make today might have his head blown off tomorrow leaving you with a scar .  If the Jets don't sign Snacks, and he should end up a Patriot or a Dolphin, do you think Mangold is going to remember that they were teammates and maybe a friend come game day .

I hate to quote a cheat like Belicheat, but  "Just do your job, and do it well" .

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Are you talking about Tyler Bray, the old UT QB? I always thought he had a nice arm, I wonder how he has played over in KC. 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Are you talking about Tyler Bray, the old UT QB? I always thought he had a nice arm, I wonder how he has played over in KC. 

Yea, that the kid . Kansas City has stashed that kid on it's roster carrying 4 QBs for 3 years .  They have hid that kid with IMO< one bogus injury after another .  I have to ask myself why that is for a kid who was supposedly hated by his teammates and coaches at UT.

1 hour ago, Ben Had said:

He sure couldn't yesterday. 

The hate for this kid on is bordering on Geno Smith level  .  I could care less what this kid did at the combine throwing the football. All that interest me were his height and weight .  The Kid that I saw led a Michigan State come from behind victory against Baylor  with the team he played with is a winner . 

56 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The hate for this kid on is bordering on Geno Smith level  .  I could care less what this kid did at the combine throwing the football. All that interest me were his height and weight .  The Kid that I saw led a Michigan State come from behind victory against Baylor  with the team he played with is a winner . 

And Tajh Boyd led victories against powerful SEC teams in major Bowl games.

Archived