Free Agency Rumors

KRL

From Tony Pauline at the Combine:

http://walterfootball.com/combine2016rumors_tony.php#86zHXXiyMzLvBVCa.99

Free agent talks are in full swing at the combine. 

I'm told offensive linemen Kelechi Osemele, Jeff Allen and Brandon Brooks are in line for big paydays. 

Most of the talk at the combine centers around Osemele. ESPN has reported the Baltimore Ravens are making an aggressive push to re-sign their second-round pick from the 2012 NFL draft but I'm told the New York Jets, Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers are potential suitors if Osemele hits the open market. 

Osemele could help the Jets in a number of ways, including filling a hole at offensive guard or lining him up at right tackle, then kicking Breno Giacomini into guard. 

Would the Jets pay the big money commanded by Osemele? If last year was an indicator, the team was in contention to sign Mike Iupati, but balked once the price tag approached $8 million annually and finally settled on James Carpenter, something I wrote about during the 2015 combine. 

Conversely, I've been told safety Eric Weddle will not receive the big-money contract many predict. 

Getting back to the New York Jets, the team needs linebackers, yet have no intention of re-signing Demario Davis, so what will they do? 

Keep an eye on Shea McClellin, the 2012 first round pick of the Chicago Bears. 

The Bears hope to re-sign McClellin, but if he hits the free agent market, the Jets would be a good fit. McClellin fits the team need for a coverage linebacker with pass-rush ability, something Davis was very deficient in. 

Bears have $60 mil in cap space. If McClelin is looking for a payday Jets aren't the team. Contender??? Perhaps

Ravens in Cap Hell, although looking to re-negotiate Flacco contract to free up money. Again, if thAT OL looking for a payday, Ravens aren't the team.

Thanks for posting this KRL

3 hours ago, KRL said:

From Tony Pauline at the Combine:

http://walterfootball.com/combine2016rumors_tony.php#86zHXXiyMzLvBVCa.99

Free agent talks are in full swing at the combine. 

I'm told offensive linemen Kelechi Osemele, Jeff Allen and Brandon Brooks are in line for big paydays. 

Most of the talk at the combine centers around Osemele. ESPN has reported the Baltimore Ravens are making an aggressive push to re-sign their second-round pick from the 2012 NFL draft but I'm told the New York Jets, Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers are potential suitors if Osemele hits the open market. 

Osemele could help the Jets in a number of ways, including filling a hole at offensive guard or lining him up at right tackle, then kicking Breno Giacomini into guard. 

Would the Jets pay the big money commanded by Osemele? If last year was an indicator, the team was in contention to sign Mike Iupati, but balked once the price tag approached $8 million annually and finally settled on James Carpenter, something I wrote about during the 2015 combine. 

Conversely, I've been told safety Eric Weddle will not receive the big-money contract many predict. 

Getting back to the New York Jets, the team needs linebackers, yet have no intention of re-signing Demario Davis, so what will they do? 

Keep an eye on Shea McClellin, the 2012 first round pick of the Chicago Bears. 

The Bears hope to re-sign McClellin, but if he hits the free agent market, the Jets would be a good fit. McClellin fits the team need for a coverage linebacker with pass-rush ability, something Davis was very deficient in. 

If Osemele makes it to the market, it's going to be tough for those teams ( 49ers , Jets) to match what the Raiders would pay him.  ( have 74 million to play with) THE raiders probably would be signing him to be their left tackle.( let still effective 33 year old Donald Penn go in Fa) .    If he makes it to the market this is the guy they are going to go after the  first day.  Osemele  probably looking at 10-12 million annually.

Good chance Donald Penn ends up with the 49ers if Osemele is signed by the Raiders.( temporary solution till they eventually draft their Lt.

9 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

If Osemele makes it to the market, it's going to be tough for those teams ( 49ers , Jets) to match what the Raiders would pay him.  ( have 74 million to play with) THE raiders probably would be signing him to be their left tackle.( let still effective 33 year old Donald Penn go in Fa) .    If he makes it to the market this is the guy they are going to go after the  first day.  Osemele  probably looking at 10-12 million annually.

Good chance Donald Penn ends up with the 49ers if Osemele is signed by the Raiders.( temporary solution till they eventually draft their Lt.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

50 minutes ago, hawk said:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

k Osemele is 26 year old just entering his prime.  Someone going to sign him to be their left tackle.( going to get paid left tackle money ) . K Osemele  was three and half year  starter( LT)  at Iowa St , who Ravens moved to guard.( need)   He played the last month at Lt, and the Ravens offense line played their best football.   The Ravens are going to try to find a way to keep him , so he can be their Lt.  If he makes it to Fa, and if a team Is serious about signing him , they better be prepared to pay 10-12 million annually for him.

15 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Bears have $60 mil in cap space. If McClelin is looking for a payday Jets aren't the team. Contender??? Perhaps

Ravens in Cap Hell, although looking to re-negotiate Flacco contract to free up money. Again, if thAT OL looking for a payday, Ravens aren't the team.

Thanks for posting this KRL

Not that I would want to sign him or over pay him but we have enough cap space to make him an offer that the Bears would refuse to pay to retain him. We probably wont make huge splashes in free agency and sign any huge names but we do have a bit of space to play with.

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

It's going to be tough for the Jets to free up enough money to sign Mo and Osemele, I have no idea how they would be able to do it. 

Easy, give Mo what he wants or trade him for 75cents on the dollar, cut Ferguson and give his money to Osemele  and cut Mangold and draft Ryan Kelly in the 2nd round and plug him in at Center. Cut  Breno and start Qvale at RT. The team just saved millions and got younger and stronger and quicker across the board on the offensive Line. I would hate to have to part ways with Nick Mangold thou.

57 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Easy, give Mo what he wants or trade him for 75cents on the dollar, cut Ferguson and give his money to Osemele  and cut Mangold and draft Ryan Kelly in the 2nd round and plug him in at Center. Cut  Breno and start Qvale at RT. The team just saved millions and got younger and stronger and quicker across the board on the offensive Line. I would hate to have to part ways with Nick Mangold thou.

The "NUCLEAR" option. Thank heavens you don't have a seat in the Jets front office.:Wave::cloudy:

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Let's see the Jets save 9 million on b Ferguson contract , but take a 5 million cap hit.    Osemele is going to get 10-12 million annually + 5 million cap hit for Ferguson ( = 15 - 17 million the Jets would be paying for the the Lt position. Maybe with last year cap the Jets might have done that.

Even if the Jets trade Wilkeson , ( would have to be before the start of Fa) because Osemele is going on the first day of Fa.  You really see the parameters of a trade completed by the time of Fa.( Wilkerson would have to also agree on long term contract- How many years have the Jets been trying to sign him to extension.  That trading team going to be able to do it in 8 days.  

1 minute ago, Raideraholic said:

Let's see the Jets save 9 million on b Ferguson contract , but take a 5 million cap hit.    Osemele is going to get 10-12 million annually + 5 million cap hit for Ferguson ( = 15 - 17 million the Jets would be paying for the the Lt position. Maybe with last year cap the Jets might have done that.

Even if the Jets trade Wilkeson , ( would have to be before the start of Fa) because Osemele is going on the first day of Fa.  You really see the parameters of a trade completed by the time of Fa.( Wilkerson would have to also agree on long term contract- How many years have the Jets been trying to sign him to extension.

All I know is the Jets Front office will have some hard decisions to make and it's better to just rip that band aid off quickly than try and ease it off.    You want to get younger and faster but you're going to let your younger better players leave via free agency and keep your older Vets  who are declining on the field as evidence .  It's so Jets, it's not even funny.

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

In his defense, he's not supposed to cover a WR downfield.... but TE and RB's coming out of the backfield.

Good closing speed on this play, however.

Yes, bad example. It was a blown play. No way is he supposed to cover Fitzgerald one on one 30yds down the field. He at least was involved in the play. Demario would have just fallen down about 25yds sooner.?

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

You want to get rid of Mo, Brick AND Mangold in the same offseason? I could see it working, but man, the GM would need some brass cojones to do that in one offseason. 

I don't want to get rid of Mo, but he has to make the right decision  for him and the GM has to make the right decision for the team.  If both don't make sense, then . The decisions are tough, and that's why you have to have "Sand" to make them . 

Archived