Todd Bowles.. 13th - Best coach in the NFL ? ? ?

kelly

Todd Bowles had a pretty impressive first season as the Jets head coach. Was it perfect? Absolutely not. But it wasn’t too bad, either.

Minus a few clock-management mishaps, Bowles looked like a seasoned pro in 2015, and was a big reason the Jets finished 10-6. He kept the team together in spite of a mid-season slide, and never allowed them to get too high on themselves during the better parts of the year.And for all of that, Bowles’ stock has risen amongst the head coaching ranks. In a recent article put together by Rotoworld, the site ranked Bowles the 13th-best coach in the NFL.

Each year around this time, Rotoworld puts out their rankings of each and every NFL head coach. The site also justifies each ranking with a written explanation. Here’s why Bowles fell where he did:

Coaching the Jets isn’t easy. A tabloid media and impatient fan base make for a magnifying glass in search of an ant. Neither Bill Parcells’ genius nor Rex Ryan’s bombast could withstand the heat. So what about Todd Bowles’ cool? The early returnsare promising. Bowles immediately stabilized a defense that had lost its way while overseeing the Jets’ highest scoring offense since Brett Favre was the quarterback in 2008. All the while Bowles maintained a steely composure, employing the perfect demeanor for a fishbowl job. This being the Jets, there’s bound to be a Tim Tebowor two along the way, but Bowles might finally be the man to calmly guide Gang Green to the Super Bowl.

It’s hard to argue with anything said, or really Bowles’ positioning on the list. Honestly, the only thing keeping him from being higher was the fact the Jets blew a chance to make the playoffs facing a win-and-in situation Week 17.Prior to that, Bowles was getting “Coach of the Year” nominationsfrom others around the league.

You can view the complete rankings here. Agree or disagree?Voice your opinion in the comment section below.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/04/jets-head-coach-todd-bowles-ranked-13th-best-coach-in-the-nfl/

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Marvin Lewis at 7 and O'Brien at 10? 

Nice list

Yeah Marvin Lewis because he turned a terrible bengals franchise into a very respectable one and has had some of the best young talent in the whole nfl.

and obrien because he turned the dumpster fire Texans into a respectable team, all he needs is a qb and the Texans will be great for at least the next 3 years.

5 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Yeah Marvin Lewis because he turned a terrible bengals franchise into a very respectable one and has had some of the best young talent in the whole nfl.

and obrien because he turned the dumpster fire Texans into a respectable team, all he needs is a qb and the Texans will be great for at least the next 3 years.

O'Brien screwed up a QB situation as much as anyone ever has.  

Lewis never wins in the playoffs, usually with a team that has more talent than the opposition.  The definition of a shltty HC

19. Rex Ryan

Career Record: 54-58 (.482) 

With The Bills Since: 2015  

Last Year’s Ranking: — — 

Rex Ryan has more Super Bowls victories than you might think. He added three to the trophy case in 2015, first defeating the Colts in Week 1 before hoisting the Lombardi twice against his former team, the Jets. The problem is the play of Ryan’s team in all the games where he doesn’t spend Monday-Friday summoning the emotion of a title tilt. Ryan has proven there’s no team he can’t beat, but also no team he can’t lose to. This see/saw football has produced a 34-46 (.425) record in five seasons since his shock back-to-back AFC Championship Game appearances in 2009-10. Ryan is a genuine character, and like Fisher, a defensive guru. He just isn’t a championship coach, and can hit his head on his ceiling if he stands on his toes. You could do worse than Rex Ryan. You could also do a lot better.   

32 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Whenever I see one of your posts it gives me a comfy feeling because I know two things.  1) Your opinions on almost every phase of football are totally out to lunch and 2) I know pretty well 100% that I will shake my head in disagreement.

15 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Seeing how some here deified Rex Ryan  for merely reaching a couple of conference championships, one would think those people would be worshipping at the Andy Reid altar.

Andy Reid reached (but lost) a Super Bowl.  There are some people here that would line up to wipe his ass if he was a Jets coach and managed that.

10 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Andy Reid reached (but lost) a Super Bowl.  There are some people here that would line up to wipe his ass if he was a Jets coach and managed that.

Andy Reid also went to 5 nfc championships in a row, Andy Reid also dominated the nfc east for a decade

a bunch of jets fans would probably suck some stuff for Todd Bowles to have that success

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Whenever I see one of your posts it gives me a comfy feeling because I know two things.  1) Your opinions on almost every phase of football are totally out to lunch and 2) I know pretty well 100% that I will shake my head in disagreement.

Well, thanks for showing you can't read the facts and understand them

30 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Andy Reid also went to 5 nfc championships in a row, Andy Reid also dominated the nfc east for a decade

a bunch of jets fans would probably suck some stuff for Todd Bowles to have that success

And he has absolutely nothing to show for it. Not like he had steady competition in that division either.  The NFC east, for a while, wasn't really that great.  Eventually they hit a stretch and the competition improved but Reid NOT dominating that division would have been an absolute failure.

I've been down the close but no cigar route once in the last decade (Rex).  I want a championship.  I'm not going to revel in second place.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

And he has absolutely nothing to show for it. Not like he had steady competition in that division either.  The NFC east, for a while, wasn't really that great.  Eventually they hit a stretch and the competition improved but Reid NOT dominating that division would have been an absolute failure.

I've been down the close but no cigar route once in the last decade (Rex).  I want a championship.  I'm not going to revel in second place.

So if you want a championship for the beloved jets why do u want fitztragic at qb?

59 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

So if you want a championship for the beloved jets why do u want fitztragic at qb?

To be a placeholder for the eventual franchise guy.  Unfortunately there are no "start day one" guys in this years draft (except maybe Wentz who I would have no problem trading up for) and he is the best stop gap.

I've been clear on my stance with Fitz.  He's serviceable.  A nice stop gap.  I wouldn't give him Bradford money and if that is ultimately the only choice we have, I'd rather see if we could trade for and pay someone like Kaepernick that money and hope we could fix him because the upside is higher and I don't want to end up being the 2010 Buffalo Bills.  Only problem with that is trade cost. 

There is only one idiot on this board that has ever misconstrued my opinion on Fitzpatrick and he's on my ignore list.  He's not "The Answer" but he can get the job done while we groom the future guy.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

19. Rex Ryan

Career Record: 54-58 (.482) 

With The Bills Since: 2015  

Last Year’s Ranking: — — 

Rex Ryan has more Super Bowls victories than you might think. He added three to the trophy case in 2015, first defeating the Colts in Week 1 before hoisting the Lombardi twice against his former team, the Jets. The problem is the play of Ryan’s team in all the games where he doesn’t spend Monday-Friday summoning the emotion of a title tilt. Ryan has proven there’s no team he can’t beat, but also no team he can’t lose to. This see/saw football has produced a 34-46 (.425) record in five seasons since his shock back-to-back AFC Championship Game appearances in 2009-10. Ryan is a genuine character, and like Fisher, a defensive guru. He just isn’t a championship coach, and can hit his head on his ceiling if he stands on his toes. You could do worse than Rex Ryan. You could also do a lot better.   

How did this guy beat Todd Bowles.....TWICE!!!! And end the Jets season?  WTF????

I may eventually be proven wrong, but I think the best thing to ever happen to the Jets was losing that last game of the season to the Bills . The Jets are not a championship team, and getting into the playoffs would have given this team and it's fan base a false sense of  worth .

Now maybe they can get to the business of building a real contending team . 

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

O'Brien screwed up a QB situation as much as anyone ever has.  

Lewis never wins in the playoffs, usually with a team that has more talent than the opposition.  The definition of a shltty HC

Marvin can go suck eggs but I gotta disagree with you on O'Brien.  When that guy gets him a REAL QB, he's gonna show his worth.  I think a ton of people forget that the Texans were all but set to take Teddy Bridgewater at the top of the second round a couple years back before Minnesota leapfrogged back into the first and ruined that dream.  Then he managed to take a historically bad team and flip them into a contending 9-7 team with Ryan Mallet and Ryan Fitzpatrick. This year he pulls an even WORSE QB situation to another 9-7 record and reaches the playoffs.  They obviously need to continue improving, but what he's done there has been nothing short of impressive.  The real problem with the Texans is Rick Smith.  The issue with THAT is there are a whole lot of complications when it comes to firing a GM and not a Head Coach.  We should already know that.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Marvin can go suck eggs but I gotta disagree with you on O'Brien.  When that guy gets him a REAL QB, he's gonna show his worth.  I think a ton of people forget that the Texans were all but set to take Teddy Bridgewater at the top of the second round a couple years back before Minnesota leapfrogged back into the first and ruined that dream.  Then he managed to take a historically bad team and flip them into a contending 9-7 team with Ryan Mallet and Ryan Fitzpatrick. This year he pulls an even WORSE QB situation to another 9-7 record and reaches the playoffs.  They obviously need to continue improving, but what he's done there has been nothing short of impressive.  The real problem with the Texans is Rick Smith.  The issue with THAT is there are a whole lot of complications when it comes to firing a GM and not a Head Coach.  We should already know that.

His team outside of QB is loaded. Hardly a case where he coached lemons into lemonade.  

And he totally butchered the QB situation.  After picking Mallet to be his QB.  He should have kept Fitz.  I'm not giving him credit for having a bad QB situation, it was his fault, switching QBs the way he did, etc

And, I do like him.  Just he hasnt done a thing yet to get that high a rating over others

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

How did this guy beat Todd Bowles.....TWICE!!!! And end the Jets season?  WTF????

Says it right in the blurb.  When you treat the game like a superbowl players may respond like its the superbowl.  Problem for Rex is you can't make every game as important as the superbowl.  Its why he is the worst coach at stringing back to back wins together.

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

They could have had Derek Carr at the top of the 2nd but got scared off because of history.  I wouldn't say directly O'Brians fault but damn did they royally **** up on that.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

How, by unloading Fitz?

Pay attention to the game, not in trolling a Jet board and you would know.

No one should ever ask this question about Houston and their QB issues in '15

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

His team outside of QB is loaded. Hardly a case where he coached lemons into lemonade.  

And he totally butchered the QB situation.  After picking Mallet to be his QB.  He should have kept Fitz.

And, I do like him.  Just he hasnt done a thing yet to get that high a rating over others

I think the hype of Watt has given people this false sense of "loaded".  That secondary is still a big work in progress.  They are getting better however.  That defense by the end of the year really began to gel and showed that they are getting better.  That corner that they selected in the draft had a pretty decent rookie year after being prematurely thrown to the wolves.  There is a big reason why they had the first overall pick before he got there. DeAndre Hopkins is another fantastic piece but it means little to nothing without a real QB. Their O-line? Ehhhh. B.O.B's teams also haven't really got great RB play either considering that Arian Foster couldn't stay away from a major injury if his life depended on it.  They have really solid pieces, but I don't buy that they were "loaded"  because when you look into it they're still trying to fix up some big holes. 

I do agree that they should have kept Fitzpatrick but at the time a lot of people felt and agreed that Hoyer and Mallet were the better guys going forward.  Especially when you factor in age and Fitz coming off a real bad injury.  Hindsight is 20/20 and I don't even know if Fitz has the same type of season under O'Brien that he had here.  Ultimately it worked out for us, but only because we were looking for a band-aid back up if Geno blew up and they were looking towards the future with Mallet, and figured they could get a back-up of similar or better quality with Hoyer.  Lets not forget, Fitzpatrick wasn't going to be our day one starter either.  Opinion on him wasn't that high back in the spring & summer. 

I'm sure we'll ultimately just "agree to disagree" but I really, really like Bill O'brien and think he's going to make a damn good coach if/when he gets his hands on a good QB.

19 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

They could have had Derek Carr at the top of the 2nd but got scared off because of history.  I wouldn't say directly O'Brians fault but damn did they royally **** up on that.

This I can agree with, but at the same time I completely understand why that didn't happen.  It would have been a really really tough sell.  Not to mention that Carr's success has been a big surprise, even to many of his biggest fans from when he came out of Fresno State (myself included).  If I had to be honest...I think O'brien would have been comfortable taking him if it was any other team.  In fact, if I remember correctly there were rumors that O'Brien did like Carr that year but the FO was reluctant.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

1. Rex sucks

2. Ranking a first year HC is dumb. Kudos to Bowles for squeezing 10 wins out of a Fitzpatrick-led offense and a defense that was pretty meh most weeks, and the fact that the team consistently played better in the second halves of games gives me hope, but Bowles lost the biggest game of his life to Tyrod Taylor and an idiot head coach. Plenty to prove in Year Two. 

3. You suck.

I had to cringe the other night watching the texans "path to the draft" special.  they said, "everybody double teamed hopkins last year, they need to find another WR to take the pressure off"

not our todd

he made sure the jets "just played our game"

if he doesn't wake up to the fact that you have to double some players, I feel 10-6 will be his high water mark

3 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Didn't they also pass on Bortles for Clowney? How's that working out?

20 hours ago, Colgateman said:

Well, thanks for showing you can't read the facts and understand them

Its not just the ridiculous opinions, its that you dont even get easy to find facts completely wrong.  You say stupid shlt just to say something, right or wrong. 

Youre a troll

Archived