A True Long Term Plan

varjet

Let's say that the Jets were truly trying to build a team to compete for the long-term.  

Do they give Ryan Fitzpatrick $10mm/year for 2 years?

If I were the Jets, I would sign Wilkerson and Harrison, cut Breno, Brick, Kerley and Cumberland, and then fill the blanks with draft picks and cheaper free agents.

Do you think that is what they have in mind?  Someone is going to offer Fitz alot of money, and the Jets may decide that they are better off keeping their long term talent, not worry too much about protecting Geno, and perhaps some FAs who can play for a long time, like a Denver LB or an OL.  

Just 

Everyone is caught up with bringing Fitz back and obviously it makes sense as he gave us the best QB play we have had in a long time. If the cost to bring him back becomes to much which I really think Fitz is a reasonable guy who knows at this point what he is in the NFL we could end up playing Geno who won the "QB competition" last off season. I know that idea is unpopular but at the end of the day on most teams Fitz is a backup quality QB.

3 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Everyone is caught up with bringing Fitz back and obviously it makes sense as he gave us the best QB play we have had in a long time. If the cost to bring him back becomes to much which I really think Fitz is a reasonable guy who knows at this point what he is in the NFL we could end up playing Geno who won the "QB competition" last off season. I know that idea is unpopular but at the end of the day on most teams Fitz is a backup quality QB.

Agree, I don't think Fitz is going to demand the contract too many have said he would.  Going somewhere else thinking he may get lots of $$ is no given and where would he wind up?  

Braylon Edwards took that approach, didn't work out 

You try to do both because it has been proven time and again all you have to do is make the playoffs and you have a shot.  Aside from D'Brick we have a number of other older guys whose skills are going down a bit.    Also you simply do not 'fill in the blanks' when you release your starting left tackle.

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Agree, I don't think Fitz is going to demand the contract too many have said he would.  Going somewhere else thinking he may get lots of $$ is no given and where would he wind up?  

Braylon Edwards took that approach, didn't work out 

I agree with your premise, but IIRC, Edwards didn't have much choice.  Wasn't he sitting on the FA market for a while before he finally got an offer?  I don't think that'll be the case with Fitz, although his best chance to win is with the Jets, unless Denver comes knocking.

Does anyone here think the Jets have a shot at winning the Super Bowl with Fitzpatrick Ferguson or any of the other few scrub favorites we cling too.  If the answer is yes, then by all means pound the desk for them, but if the answer is no, then move on and quit spending money on people who have no future as a Jet .

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I agree with your premise, but IIRC, Edwards didn't have much choice.  Wasn't he sitting on the FA market for a while before he finally got an offer?  I don't think that'll be the case with Fitz, although his best chance to win is with the Jets, unless Denver comes knocking.

Didnt he go back and forth in the press trying to decide if he was going to give us a fair price or what he thought he was worth?  And ultimately wanted top dollar?

Either way, Fitz isnt looking to leave.  He was happy here, won more games here than he ever did and just missed the playoffs.  Plus my real point with Bray was no one is going to pay him big money, its not big money somewhere else over what we offer

What were the odds of IK punching Geno?  If he did not, he is likely that Fitz would be looking at a much smaller contract today (with the Jets or someone else) than he would be now.

Every team has to do a reasonable job putting a respectable team on the field, but they should not be overaggressive.    Fitz should get a decent raise, and his contract can be relatively long so he can be a back up later.  But a cap cost of more than $8mm this year would not be good.

5 hours ago, varjet said:

Let's say that the Jets were truly trying to build a team to compete for the long-term.  

If I were the Jets, I would sign Wilkerson and Harrison, cut Breno, Brick, Kerley and Cumberland, and then fill the blanks with draft picks and cheaper free agents.

Do you think that is what they have in mind?  Someone is going to offer Fitz alot of money, and the Jets may decide that they are better off keeping their long term talent, not worry too much about protecting Geno, and perhaps some FAs who can play for a long time, like a Denver LB or an OL.  

Just 

Tagging Mo for 15.7 was dumb.  It does nothing for us long term and screws up this off season's cap situation even further short term.  I don't know what Mac has in mind.  He must be counting on a trade, right?  What else could he be thinking re: his long term plan?  This is his 2nd off season as the GM who's  been negotiating with Mo & Co.  He ought to know where the future lies with this player by now.  Is he screwing up this off season?  Time will tell.

A worried Jets fan.               

parcells said it was easy getting from terrible to good, and really difficult to get from good to great

the jets will simply have to step in sh*t and find a star QB to ever be great, and unless you have the #1 pick the year an elway type prospect comes out, you just have to be really lucky

15 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Tagging Mo for 15.7 was dumb.  It does nothing for us long term and screws up this off season's cap situation even further short term.  I don't know what Mac has in mind.  He must be counting on a trade, right?  What else could he be thinking re: his long term plan?  This is his 2nd off season as the GM who's  been negotiating with Mo & Co.  He ought to know where the future lies with this player by now.  Is he screwing up this off season?  Time will tell.

A worried Jets fan.               

don't worry about the tag until mo signs it.  they can still work out a deal.  mac had it really easy last year, he had a ton of money and a mandate to spend it.  now this is more like a normal off season, keeping your good players and then adding more with a budget.  he still has to moves to make, he can still clear cap room

17 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

A worried Jets fan.               

I think "dumb" is a bit harsh to describe a move that prevents your best defensive player from simply walking out the door for a 3rd round compensatory pick in the 2017 draft.  It simply buys another year to work out a long term deal, trade or you get one more year out of him.   Still lots of cap to be freed up with additional obvious cuts and restructures.  I am not worried.

A worried Jets fan.               

Actually not dumb at all. Right now Mo is a big ticket player or a big ticket trade who has a serious injury. The guy could come back from the injury at the same level or maybe never play at the same level again. His trade value is weakened for this--if a trade is in the cards--and his value as a player on this team is questionable. Mo's people will want a contract on pre-injury play but the team will want a discount for buying the risk. If Mo's people are confident he will be good and Mac is not confident that the injury will have no effect then a one year tag is best for both sides because it maintains status quo until we see what happens.

There is also a good probability that the cap increases noticeably each year for the next few years which means if Mo stays and is given a large contract it will be easier to pay that out with a rising cap.

23 hours ago, varjet said:

Just 

Where is this "true long-term plan" mentioned in the thread title? This looks like every other thread here: an opinion on how much to pay Fitz, who to cut, and guess-work.

A worried Jets fan.               

eh, I'm not worried... tagging Mo is the only play for us in that spot, it'll all work out.

17 hours ago, Larz said:

parcells said it was easy getting from terrible to good, and really difficult to get from good to great

the jets will simply have to step in sh*t and find a star QB to ever be great, and unless you have the #1 pick the year an elway type prospect comes out, you just have to be really lucky

Well the Pats had a 6th rd pick that did pretty well in his 2nd year after sitting in his rookie year maybe Petty could do the same.. :)

18 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

A worried Jets fan.               

Well since youre on record for being happy to get a 2nd pick for MO or the 3rd round comp pick for him I can see why your upset.

Just dont expect too many to agree with your evaluation of Mo's worth.  Like no one actually, lol

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Well since youre on record for being happy to get a 2nd pick for MO or the 3rd round comp pick for him I can see why your upset.

Just dont expect too many to agree with your evaluation of Mo's worth.  Like no one actually, lol

Wikerson and our 2/3 to Chicago for Bennett and their 1

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Wikerson and our 2/3 to Chicago for Bennett and their 1

Mo for their 1 isnt enough, leaving Bennet for the 2 is too much IMO

We, Chan, dont need a TE enough to lose a 2 or 3.  I'd rather keep those picks, we need players more than a TE

23 hours ago, varjet said:

Having a good defense and no QB has worked well for us in the past, so I say we go for it

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The main point being that we are overstocked with DL talent and under-capped.  This is the perfect time to get rid of Mo.  Nets an extra pick this year or next, and gives us 15.7m cap space to sign players to fill areas of need.  I think paying Mo while DL overstocked hurts the team.  

Heck, we could sign Fitz and Snacks for the money we're paying Mo.

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

The main point being that we are overstocked with DL talent and under-capped.  This is the perfect time to get rid of Mo.  Nets an extra pick this year or next, and gives us 15.7m cap space to sign players to fill areas of need.  I think paying Mo while DL overstocked hurts the team.  

The only problem is that Mo and his agents are1) taking their time with signing their tender 2) playing hardball with the contract terms.

Mo's finally got some leverage... this could drag out into the summer.

Good FA players will be long gone before that $15,7m becomes available to the Jets.

17 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

The only problem is that Mo and his agents are1) taking their time with signing their tender 2) playing hardball with the contract terms.

Mo's finally got some leverage... this could drag out into the summer.

Good FA players will be long gone before that $15,7m becomes available to the Jets.

THIS is why tagging him was dumb.

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Losing your arguably best player for a pick at # 100 is not the answer either.

Should have locked him up earlier and then you could trade him much more easily

Mac did the right thing drafting BPA Williams at 6.  Now is the the time that that move should have paid off by filling Mo's spot for cheap for the next 4-5 years with Williams.  But Mac doesn't seem to be following my plan :)  My only hope is that Mac already has a trading partner lined up.  Else I just don't understand why he'd not follow thru on my ( :) ) original plan.   

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

Mac did the right thing drafting BPA Williams at 6.  Now is the the time that that move should have paid off by filling Mo's spot for cheap for the next 4-5 years with Williams.  But Mac doesn't seem to be following my plan :)  My only hope is that Mac already has a trading partner lined up.  Else I just don't understand why he'd not follow thru on my ( :) ) original plan.   

You and me both. And hopefully that team has already worked out a deal w/Mo and come 4pm on the 9th a deal is announced with Mo getting his money and Jets with a #1 pick. Then they also land several very good FA within minutes of the FA period beginning.

19 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Heck, we could sign Fitz and Snacks for the money we're paying Mo.

If I owned 3 Ferrari's I wouldn't sell any of them for 40 cents on a dollar.  

I always look at a trade and ask who got the best part of the deal.  Mo for a 3rd or 2nd, chances are pretty safe that whoever gets Mo is getting the best player in the deal. 

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

If I owned 3 Ferrari's I wouldn't sell any of them for 40 cents on a dollar.  

I always look at a trade and ask who got the best part of the deal.  Mo for a 3rd or 2nd, chances are pretty safe that whoever gets Mo is getting the best player in the deal. 

What about "overstocked at DL" do you not understand?  Tying up finite capital in 3 Ferrari's is not the proper way to manage your wealth. 

Archived