Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Bit of a bromance going on between Mike135 and joewilly12, I am feeling left out and jeally!

Mike135 never tried to lure me into a meeting and he knows his Jets football unlike you. 

Is that ok bro that we agree. 

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Is there a joewilly 11 or joewilly13 with lower case spelling? 

I think so, because a joewilly1? said we should cut or restructure Revis to make room to sign Fitz the other day, and it wasn't you, so must have been an 11 or a 13

Just now, BowlesMovement said:

I am seriously hurt joe, I have been greasing the tracks for months now, and just like that, Mike is in?

No one is in for anything. 

This is a NY Jets message board where football fans men and women discuss football last time i checked. 

You must  have us confused with members of other chat rooms or message boards you frequent, i suggest you leave your filthy gutter mind there and not here, 

Thanks werent you the one who complained about your 13 year old reading here. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

No one is in for anything. 

This is a NY Jets message board where football fans men and women discuss football last time i checked. 

You must  have us confused with members of other chat rooms or message boards you frequent, i suggest you leave your filthy gutter mind there and not here, 

Thanks werent you the one who complained about your 13 year old reading here. 

Wohhhh, slow down tiger, filthy gutter mind? I am just talking about getting a cup a joe with you, if you have other plans, I might consider, but that is NOT what I was thinking. 

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

Wohhhh, slow down tiger, filthy gutter mind? I am just talking about getting a cup a joe with you, if you have other plans, I might consider, but that is NOT what I was thinking. 

What happened to your 13 year old reading here?  

What happened to your 13 year old reading here?  

Not sure what you mean by my 13 year old? If you are talking about my kids, my kids don't read here. My niece does, but not my kids. I don't think there is anything wrong with two Jets fans who happen to be men, going out to get a cup of coffee together and talking Jets football, do you? What do you usually do with men when you go out for coffee with them? I think your the one with your mind in the gutter!

3 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

So you think that Fitz is not coming back and we are going towards camp with an open competition at QB...I just want to make sure.

Actually listening to Mac today made feel that there is still a good chance that Fitz will be back. 

I think that Fitz is then the starter unless someone comes in and flatly outplays him in camp and preseason. 

But the main point is that the drafting of Hack doesn't mean that Petty sucks or is incompetent rather he is like Hack a developmental QB and I think that is a good strategy. 

1 hour ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Says the guy who rips Fitz ad nauseum for the Bills game, but is strangely quiet about the horrible play of Revis in the season finale.

Both Bills games and when Fitzpatrick gets half as good as Revis let me know. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Both Bills games and when Fitzpatrick gets half as good as Revis let me know. 

That's weak...Revis got owned in the biggest game of the year....Bills had over 40 minutes time of possession in that game because the defense couldn't get off the field. Own up, man...but of course you will not. What it seems you are saying is because Revis has been a good player over his career, he gets a pass for his poor play in the final game of the year. Truth be told, the whole Jets team stunk horribly, right down to the coaching. If the team had played their hearts out and were let down by their quarterback, I could see your point, but that was not the case at all, and you know it. Passes were dropped, punts were shanked, blocks were missed. As a matter of fact, if receivers had made some plays, there were possibly five touchdowns to be had that game..Decker dropped a throw at waist level at the goal line in the first half...Enunwa dropped a pair of easy passes that both may have gone for a TD, and the late deep ball that hit Tomkins in the hands...all plays that could have been made and perhaps this game is a blowout...you like to harp of on the three interceptions, but outside of the first one, is he really to blame on third and long after Brick whiffs on a critical block as Fitz is getting ready to throw...and the last one, after the incompletion to Tomkins with time running out and no time outs and eighty yards to go...get real.

2 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

That's weak...Revis got owned in the biggest game of the year....Bills had over 40 minutes time of possession in that game because the defense couldn't get off the field. Own up, man...but of course you will not. What it seems you are saying is because Revis has been a good player over his career, he gets a pass for his poor play in the final game of the year. Truth be told, the whole Jets team stunk horribly, right down to the coaching. If the team had played their hearts out and were let down by their quarterback, I could see your point, but that was not the case at all, and you know it. Passes were dropped, punts were shanked, blocks were missed. As a matter of fact, if receivers had made some plays, there were possibly five touchdowns to be had that game..Decker dropped a throw at waist level at the goal line in the first half...Enunwa dropped a pair of easy passes that both may have gone for a TD, and the late deep ball that hit Tomkins in the hands...all plays that could have been made and perhaps this game is a blowout...you like to harp of on the three interceptions, but outside of the first one, is he really to blame on third and long after Brick whiffs on a critical block as Fitz is getting ready to throw...and the last one, after the incompletion to Tomkins with time running out and no time outs and eighty yards to go...get real.

Go watch film on Fitz week after week Marshall and Decker bailed his ass out on errant passes,under-thrown passes,over-thrown passes you name it, Gailey designed and offense around Fitz's weak arm.

10 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Pass defense gave up 185 yards.  The D had a hard time getting off the field, but thats not enough yards to be owned.  Never mind how much was the injured Revis accountable for?  

With all that owning, Fitz was sitting on 1st down at the 14, down 2 points.  If he moves nowhere and just protects the ball we take the lead with 4 minutes or so to go.  He's poised to take the lead, win the game and make the playoffs for the first time in his 11 seasons. Instead he wilted in the moment, shlt the bed and hacked up an ugly INT in the EZ.

Ill take my chances with the defense giving up 185 yards a game through the air every week right now

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Pass defense gave up 185 yards.  The D had a hard time getting off the field, but thats not enough yards to be owned.  Never mind how much was the injured Revis accountable for?  

With all that owning, Fitz was sitting on 1st down at the 14, down 2 points.  If he moves nowhere and just protects the ball we take the lead with 4 minutes or so to go.  He's poised to take the lead, win the game and make the playoffs for the first time in his 11 seasons. Instead he wilted in the moment, shlt the bed and hacked up an ugly INT in the EZ.

Ill take my chances with the defense giving up 185 yards a game through the air every week right now

Fitzpatrick also threw 3 INTS in the loss to the Eagles. 

Fitzpatrick also threw 3 INTS in the loss to the Eagles. 

Two of them driving towards a score.

One to a defensive lineman.  Can you imagine the outcry if a Geno did that?  I remember when Sanchez did.  Place blew up.  Here they made excuses blamed the OL

Hoyer is not a bad Qb and I would take him over Geno. As for Fitz's salary I think in this market he should get in the low double figures. And let me ask this to the hardliners (which is a nice way of saying hard heads). What do you care what he makes anyways. The important thing to us is having our best chance to win in 2016. If you want to complain about contracts then you should bitch about the Revis deal. That's the contract that started all of these problems in the first place. If anyone is overpaid its him. What about a restructure, how's about that Darrelle!

Yes, let's complain about our HOF worthy CB that was injured so we can pay a mediocre QB a ridiculous amount of money. Fitz has a better chance of being hit by lighting while being jerked off by a supermodel than duplicating or improving on the season he had last year.

2 hours ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Revis should have been on I.R. at that point in time. I am really not sure how he was playing with that injury.

Blaming Fitz for the Bills game is laughable. Yes he deserves sh*t for that first INT, but the whole team completely sh*t the bed. There was only a game losing INT to throw because he had dragged us back into it. 

Bowles deserves more flak than anyone else for that sh*tshow. Protecting Chris Ivory when the guy's out the door anyways. 

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Revis should have been on I.R. at that point in time. I am really not sure how he was playing with that injury.

What exactly was the injury? I know he got an operation on his wrist......but never heard/read what the injury was.

P.S. Do you respond to your PM's? Wanted to know if you or the Mods have any idea when rookie camp is. TIA.

On 5/4/2016 at 10:41 PM, Jet Nut said:

but he didn't, he threw a backbreaking INT.

I agree it was a team loss but Fitz was awful and a major reason why we lost.  he played scared all game long.  he killed us.

On 5/4/2016 at 0:37 AM, Maxman said:

whether he was hurt or not the coaching staff needed to make an adjustment and they failed to do so.  I still can't believe we blew that game.

the lack of a trade materializing for Wilkerson leading up to (and during) the draft raised some questions about Fitzpatrick's future for me. The selection of Christian Hackenberg in the second round raised some questions more (after a long, drawn out "Oh no....") Can the Jets afford to bring Fitzpatrick back? More importantly, can the Jets afford not bringing him back? With the draft in the books and free agency essentially finished, Fitzpatrick remains in limbo. While it was once assumed a foregone conclusion that Fitz would resign with the Jets, it's starting to look more and more likely that the Jets are willing to roll the  dice and let Geno Smith, Bryce Petty, and Christian Hackenberg fight for the starting spot in 2016. Without trading or extending Wilkerson, the Jets are currently pressed right up against the cap and their 2015 starting quarterback remains unsigned. What can we expect?

Well, most people want to resign Fitzpatrick to a 1 year deal. Okay. Let's say Fitz is willing to do that (a big if for a guy who bounces around more than a superball.) Fitz reportedly wanted money in the Sam Bradford range whereas the Jets were offering money in the Chase Daniel range. That means that Fitzpatrick is essentially asking for just above 257% of what the Jets want to pay him. All right, that's a problem. Let's say they work it out and that the Jets are willing to pay him $11M and Fitz is willing to accept "only" 61% of his original asking price. Well that means that the Jets need at least $11M in cap space for 2016 because there's no kind of salary cap contract voodoo that allows you to movecap hits on a 1 year deal. On top of that, the Jets will need a few million in space for "fudge money" during the regular season in the event of injuries and about $2M for rookie contracts. So the Jets would essentially need a bare minimum of $15M in cap space to meet 61% of Fitzpatrick's alleged contract demands.

Unfortunately, the Jets currently sit at $3.3M in cap space with rookies yet to be signed. Looking at potential cuts and savings, there are only a handful of players that offer any real cap relief. Let's say that we cut Breno Giacomini, Nick Folk, Kenbrell Thompkins, Brian Winters, and Khiry Robinson. We also manage to find a trade partner for Dee Milliner (or a team picks him up and saves us some space due to offsets.) Well, despite that hatchet job, the Jets are still sitting at $13M in cap space without signing their rookies. But there has to be more fat to cut, right? Well, not really. There are only 6 players that offer over $1M in cap space when cut (not even accounting for the contract that replaces them.) Those players are Muhammad Wilkerson ($15.7M), Nick Mangold ($8.6M), Eric Decker ($3.5M), Ryan Clady ($3M), Sheldon Richardson ($1.7M), and Geno Smith ($1.1M.) Geno Smith is the only even remotely possible cut candidate, and after signing his replacement, he hardly even impacts the cap. The fact is, the Jets would have to cut every corner imaginable just to keep all of these players and reach the bare minimum cap space to sign Fitz to a 1 year $11M contract. Afterwards, the Jets would be looking at $1-2M for in-season signings. Anything below about $4-5M is just poor planning.

So barring major movement on a Wilkerson trade/extension, the only remotely plausible salary cap saver would be a Nick Mangold extension. This could save the Jets a few million, but would likely require the Jets to sign a 32 year old center to a long term extension of at least 4-5 years (if they want to backload it to shave money off his 2016-17 hits.) Mangold also has 2 years left on his current deal and absolutely no reason to consider throwing good money out the window. While far from impossible, it's hard to imagine either of these things get done. Without either of these things happening, signing Fitzpatrick would probably cause significantly more damage to the cap situation than it would help the Jets for the 2016 season. That $11M spent on Fitzpatrick would have rolled over to the 2017 season and could have been used in a potential Wilkerson megadeal/Mangold extension. While I admit that the quarterback position is much more important than any other position in football, you don't let top 5 players at their respective positions go unsigned to sign Ryan Fitzpatrick. Elway was criticized for letting Brock Osweiler walk in free agency, but I never saw Osweiler do anything to prove he was above league average. If anything, he looked pretty lousy considering his supporting cast. Why would you sign him and destroy your cap when you have a transcendent star like Von Miller waiting for his megadeal? The Broncos know better than anyone that you don't need elite QB play to win if you have enough talent and depth.

Even if we ignore how difficult it would be to manage clearing cap space for Fitz, we have to wonder if Fitzpatrick is really going to give us a level of play that is $10M better than the other QBs on the roster. I'll admit right now that I do think that Fitzpatrick gives the Jets the best chance to win in 2016. Most of that belief stems from the fact that he was last year's starter and developed chemistry with his teammates and is comfortable in Gailey's offense. If we talk about the actual level of play last year...his numbers don't prove much. Is Fitzpatrick's 88.0 passer rating that starkly different than Geno Smith's 87.9 passer rating last year? Wasn't Fitzpatrick reportedly behind in the quarterback competition before Geno Smith was sidelined by a punch? Didn't Chan Gailey endorse Geno Smith as the starter? Yeah okay, Fitzpatrick is probably a better option. Probably more than probably. But a $10M better option? For a team pressed right up against the cap?

I think it's getting likely that fans will have to brace themselves for an offense led by Geno Smith, Bryce Petty, or Christian Hackenberg (or all of them. Heck, if one of them starts, it could easily be led by another one within a few weeks.) If the Jets are serious about letting Wilkerson play under the franchise tag, it's hard to imagine a Fitzpatrick reunion without Fitzpatrick cutting his reported asking price by about 40% at least. Even then, it might not be in the Jets' best interests to entertain the idea. When the season ended, just about everyone thought that Fitz would be back. Where could he recoup more future value? Which team could possibly need him more? Where could the fit possibly be better than in Gailey's offense with 2 stud receivers on the outside? Yet it may not be meant to be, after all. If Wilkerson's agent is not willing to play ball, Fitzpatrick probably won't get to for the Jets this year.

>     http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/5/4/11592406/is-a-reunion-with-ryan-fitzpatrick-likely

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

but he didn't, he threw a backbreaking INT.

I agree it was a team loss but Fitz was awful and a major reason why we lost.  he played scared all game long.  he killed us.

And no matter what, his job at the 14 was to protect the ball, at least come away with a 1 point lead if they don't score a TD.  

He blew a chance to take the lead either by brain fart, accuracy issues or over aggressiveness.  

Cant happen.  

On 04/05/2016 at 3:41 AM, Jet Nut said:

Here's my issue with the above argument about moving nowhere, protecting the ball and taking the lead (i.e. a FG).

We'd be up by 1. If Buffalo move downfield and kick a FG, we lose. What did Buffalo do after the turnover? They moved the ball downfield and kicked a FG. 13 plays, 7 minutes of clock, 75% conversions on 3rd down (the only one they didn't manage was why it was only a FG, rather than a TD).

Playing for a FG there - either by direction from Bowles, or Fitz playing not to lose - would have been every bit as ugly as the INT.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Here's my issue with the above argument about moving nowhere, protecting the ball and taking the lead (i.e. a FG).

We'd be up by 1. If Buffalo move downfield and kick a FG, we lose. What did Buffalo do after the turnover? They moved the ball downfield and kicked a FG. 13 plays, 7 minutes of clock, 75% conversions on 3rd down (the only one they didn't manage was why it was only a FG, rather than a TD).

Playing for a FG there - either by direction from Bowles, or Fitz playing not to lose - would have been every bit as ugly as the INT.

The game was completely different once Fitz threw that pick. The Bills moved the ball and were playing with the lead, not trailing trying to work downfield to regain the lead.

Not the point, the point is Fitz cant throw a pick in that situation.  Also not the argument.  If Fitz just sits there and doesnt get a TD and they kick a FG to take the lead then the Jets D gives up the go ahead score no one is blaming Fitz.  Theyre blaming the D for collapsing and giving up the go ahead score.  

Now go back to anywhere in my post and tell me where I said they should play for a FG.  Dont bother, I never did.  I have said they were in FG range and need to at least protect the FG and take the lead if they dont score a TD.  Two completely different things.  Nowhere is that an ugly situation or directed by Bowles or anyone else

Time waits for no man, but will Jets wait for Ryan Fitzpatrick ?

Reaching into the post-draft mailbag for a hot-button issue involving the New York Jets :

When's the absolute deadline for this standoff ? The organization has to have a timeline and action plan. #jetsmail @RichCimini

Im hoping the Jets have moved on from Ryan Fitzpatrick re-signing him does nothing for this team but spend more cap money. 

Roll the dice with the 3 QBs on the roster pay Mo and worse case scenario we get a decent draft pick in 2017. 

Cant keep throwing money away on mediocre above average players especially at the QB position. 

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im hoping the Jets have moved on from Ryan Fitzpatrick re-signing him does nothing for this team but spend more cap money. 

Roll the dice with the 3 QBs on the roster pay Mo and worse case scenario we get a decent draft pick in 2017. 

Cant keep throwing money away on mediocre above average players especially at the QB position. 

So you think they should cut smith outright?  Would do that just yet. :)

8 minutes ago, flgreen said:

So you think they should cut smith outright?  Would do that just yet. :)

Geno Smith is the cheapest starting QB in the league,ironically he went 8-8 with the worst WRs and OC in the NFL unlike Fitz who failed to get us in the playoffs with the easiest schedule in the NFL. 

He wants how much $$$$ to sign??????? :yahoo:

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Geno Smith is the cheapest starting QB in the league,ironically he went 8-8 with the worst WRs and OC in the NFL unlike Fitz who failed to get us in the playoffs with the easiest schedule in the NFL. 

He wants how much $$$$ to sign??????? :yahoo:

Oh.

I thought maybe you had come back from the dark side

Archived