Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't agree with this schedule stuff. We don't know which teams are really going to be good in 2016. Last year the Jets were coming off of a 4-12 and we were considered cream puffs. And the Panthers who were the best regular season team in '15 had a losing record in '14. I expect us to compete in '16 but imo our best chance for success is for Fitz to return. 

Why do people keep saying this as though it had any meaning? We picked up how many new starters in 2015? We were not a 4-12 team except in the minds of people who like snappy sayings. With all that influx of experienced & expensive talent, if we finished anywhere near 4-12 again Bowles would/should have been fired before Christmas.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Why do people keep saying this as though it had any meaning? We picked up how many new starters in 2015? We were not a 4-12 team except in the minds of people who like snappy sayings. With all that influx of experienced & expensive talent, if we finished anywhere near 4-12 again Bowles would/should have been fired before Christmas.

we had playoff talent and failed to make the playoffs despite the weak sched.

Like Parcells says you are what your record is. As for 2016 coming off of a 10-6 (and I'm not giving any excuses for winning- excuses are supposed to be for losing) you go for it. You don't take a step backwards. You go forward. Go Jets!

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Much like the 8-8 jets people love to credit geno and rex about were not an 8-8 team but more of a 5 win team.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Much like the 8-8 jets people love to credit geno and rex about were not an 8-8 team but more of a 5 win team.

ok so we were more like a 5 win team that won 8 and last year we were more like a playoff team that missed the playoffs.

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Who was predicting 10-6 though? Maybe a few optimistic Jets fans like myself but it was hardly the trend. We were definitely expected to improve, but no one thought we'd be relevant.

Easy to say we had the talent with hindsight. There were plenty of people that thought Marshall was on the decline. And by plenty of people I mean me. Derp.

We brought in expensive talent, but we were spending it on a secondary among the very worst in the league. Some projected Geno as the starter and the position was basically considered a joke in a QB driven league. 

He definitely has a point. Multiple teams always overachieve/underachieve relative to their expectations every single season. We done it in 2006 and 2009 as well, when almost everyone had us pegged as a bottom feeder. It's a predictably unpredictable league and while the schedule looks rough, a few of those teams could completely drop off.

predictions do not matter, we could see pretty quickly we had a talented team that could compete.  whether we thought we'd be 6-10, 8-8, or 10-6 in preseason doesn't really matter.  as the season progressed w/ that sched we had playoff talent and we blew it.

Just now, Beerfish said:

If you say so.

The 2013 team sucked, yet they beat more good+winning teams than the 2015 Jets. It also took a 3-interception meltdown of a crappy rookie QB to lose to NE in the first matchup as well. 

I don't see you deleting the win against NE because they were missing half their starting secondary and more, on top of Belichick declining the coin toss in OT. Nor do you put an asterisk on another win after the Giants missed a 48 yd FG to end the game in OT. 

You see what you want to see, just as much as anyone who actually believes the 8-8 team was a good one, or the imaginary people who you claim declared Geno to have been a good rookie QB.

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Who was predicting we'd play 14 creampuffs?

Who would have predicted the passing game, not the running attack or defense, would  be the driving force behind those 10 wins? 

We were + 73 in net points last season.  Only 7 teams in the league were better in this category.  We were a legitimately good team overall last season.  For every win you want to take away because we played weak competition, there were several other games we should have won as well. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Who would have predicted the passing game, not the running attack or defense, would  be the driving force behind those 10 wins? 

the rush attack and D were huge factors in winning 10 games but Brandon Marshall certainly carried us through the air.  I don't think anyone expected him to be as great as he was.

If we start Geno we are tanking.  Also I think the whole idea behind bringing fitz back was being a bit of a mentor for a guy we draft and petty.  If fitz holds firm and won;t budge he won;t be on the team as it should be.  Geno is not staring though outside of a big injury.  If fitz id not the guy some other guy of that ilk will be signed and start.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We were + 73 in net points last season.  Only 7 teams in the league were better in this category.  We were a legitimately good team overall last season.  For every win you want to take away because we played weak competition, there were several other games we should have won as well. 

Uh, I don't take away any wins last year. We beat 10 teams. But to deny the strength of our opponents played a serious part in our success is the same line of thinking as our past GM/HC who believed we were merely a kicker away in 2004. 

The 2015 Jets won 10 games. Not kinda 7 or 8 games really. Ugly or nail biter wins are still wins. But I don't believe for a second we'd have been 10-6 against the 2014 season's schedule any more than I believe the 2014 Jets would have been 10-6 with the 2015 schedule. 

46 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

No one, which is sort of the point.

And we're not going to play 14 creampuffs this year again either.

Even the (for 4 other teams) weakened Brady-less Patriots won't be so when we play them. We get them, for the first time, right after the late-season bye.

Barring other teams' franchise QBs (and more) getting IR'd early, our 2nd "easy" game is October 30th. The easier post-bye schedule includes both NE games and the Colts game (and another week 17 Bills game which we again should win). 

On top of last year's opponents' injured rosters, we're just not going to get those 2 easier match ups thanks to the schedule the prior 4 win season bought us. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I think the Jets and Fitz already have a deal in place and are simply holding it back for strategic purposes.  This is a stealthy Front Office these days, and other teams not knowing we have Fitz locked down already (in principle) helps the Jets strategize the draft and inflates teh value of our picks in say, Lynch falls to us and someone else wants him.

Fitz will be our #1 QB in 2016, I still believe that.

I just can't figure out what that strategic purpose is.  There really is no advantage to holding back on announcing his signing.

face it, Fitz wants rediculous money as has been reported everywhere and Macc is holding to his offer so they're far apart 

57 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

According to Adam scheftler jets and fitz haven't spoke in a while and are still no where close.

**** it, start Geno. The drop off is not worth 15 million.

This is a genius idea!  

The drop off isn't worth 5mil either.  Hell it's not even worth a #2 value meal.

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And we're not going to play 14 creampuffs this year again either.

Even the (for 4 other teams) weakened Brady-less Patriots won't be so when we play them. We get them, for the first time, right after the late-season bye.

Barring other teams' franchise QBs (and more) getting IR'd early, our 2nd "easy" game is October 30th. The easier post-bye schedule includes both NE games and the Colts game (and another week 17 Bills game which we again should win). 

On top of last year's opponents' injured rosters, we're just not going to get those 2 easier match ups thanks to the schedule the prior 4 win season bought us. 

We're not, most likely, but as I've said to you before our schedule didn't look so easy before the season (it's basically a list of underachieving teams) and the same could be applicable to this one, although probably not to the same extent.

We have to hope we improve - That we get the same production from our older guys and better production from our younger ones. I think we were a good team and the net points are pretty reflective of that. Other than a disastrous trip to Oakland where we totally sh*t the nest we were competitive in every game.

It's certainly not too far-fetched to think we can make the playoffs this year and after that, who the f*ck knows.

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I just can't figure out what that strategic purpose is.  There really is no advantage to holding back on announcing his signing.

You're personal inability to come up with reasons does not make it any less a possibility.

As stated, it inflates the value of Pick #20 should Lynch fall to us, for one.  Teams not knowing we have Fitz locked up (in principle) could be gouged for more due to our own apparent "need", when that need is being artificially inflated by holding back on Fitz.

There are other reasons, some obvious, but I'll let you slow burn on them till you figure it out.  

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

face it, Fitz wants rediculous money as has been reported everywhere and Macc is holding to his offer so they're far apart 

Also absolutely a possibility.  We'll know soon enough if you're right when we don't sign him.

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

We're not, most likely, but as I've said to you before our schedule didn't look so easy before the season (it's basically a list of underachieving teams) and the same could be applicable to this one, although probably not to the same extent.

We have to hope we improve - That we get the same production from our older guys and better production from our younger ones. I think we were a good team and the net points are pretty reflective of that. Other than a disastrous trip to Oakland where we totally sh*t the nest we were competitive in every game.

It's certainly not too far-fetched to think we can make the playoffs this year and after that, who the f*ck knows.

It looked easier than this one. Even back then.

• For all the pretend hindsight about Buffalo, they lost their QB and were replacing him with either a first-year QB in Taylor or were going back to EJ Manuel. Someone advocating for bringing back Ryan Fitzpatrick shouldn't then pretend losing the 2014 Bills' version of Fitzpatrick was an insignificant loss for them.
  • Then there were the 2 games against the Patriots minus Revis & Wilfat, and even our sh*tty 2014 team came close to beating them in both games when they had them.
  • The Colts definitely looked like they'd be better. No doubt about it.
  • Ditto the Cowboys, though they choke a lot no matter how good they look on paper.
  • The Eagles were in Chip Kelly dismantling mode, giving up his QB-RB-WR trio of Foles-Maclin-McCoy on offense & adding Bradford who few here even wanted last spring if the Rams had outright released him. Back then I don't think anyone saw the Eagles as a whoa! opponent & many (if not most) thought they'd finish worse than in 2014.
  • Games against teams coming off awful 2014 seasons: Cleveland, Washington, Oakland, Jacksonville, Tennessee.
  • Games against teams not coming off awful 2014 seasons, but expected to be worse: Buffalo (x2), Philadelphia
  • Who else? Miami because they paid Suh $16M/year? If Rex didn't tank the first matchup against them to spite Idzik, even our Geno-led, 4-12 team would have swept them in 2014.

It never looked like a killer schedule last year. There is certainly no way that, one year ago, you or anyone thought the 2015 schedule looked just as hard as this one does today. There were exactly 2 games that we thought would be hard but weren't due to injuries (Indy + Dallas), and they were still contested games as it was. Further, even those would be offset by 2 additional harder games we get this year for 2nd-place schedule reasons while facing better division(s). 

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You're personal inability to come up with reasons does not make it any less a possibility.

As stated, it inflates the value of Pick #20 should Lynch fall to us, for one.  Teams not knowing we have Fitz locked up (in principle) could be gouged for more due to our own apparent "need", when that need is being artificially inflated by holding back on Fitz.

There are other reasons, some obvious, but I'll let you slow burn on them till you figure it out.  

Also absolutely a possibility.  We'll know soon enough if you're right when we don't sign him.

My personal inability?  I'm asking for one because I can't see it.  I just don't agree. Not signing Fitz puts no additional value on Lynch at that spot.  Who picking after us might be interested?  We're not picking high enough to creat big demand for the QB pick.  

Why act like an arrogant ass off a simple difference of opinion? Figure them out sure. 

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It looked easier than this one. Even back then.

• For all the pretend hindsight about Buffalo, they lost their QB and were replacing him with either a first-year QB in Taylor or were going back to EJ Manuel. Someone advocating for bringing back Ryan Fitzpatrick shouldn't then pretend losing the 2014 Bills' version of Fitzpatrick was an insignificant loss.
  • Then there were the 2 games against the Patriots minus Revis & Wilfat, and even our sh*tty 2014 team came close to beating them in both games.
  • The Colts definitely looked like they'd be better. No doubt about it.
  • Ditto the Cowboys, though they choke a lot no matter how good they look on paper.
  • The Eagles were in Chip Kelly dismantling mode, giving up his QB-RB-WR trio of Foles-Maclin-McCoy on offense & adding Bradford who few here even wanted last spring if the Rams had outright released him. Back then I don't think anyone saw the Eagles as a whoa! opponent & many (if not most) thought they'd finish worse than in 2014.
  • Games against teams coming off awful 2014 seasons: Cleveland, Washington, Oakland, Jacksonville, Tennessee.
  • Games against teams not coming off awful 2014 seasons, but expected to be worse: Buffalo (x2), Philadelphia
  • Who else? Miami because they paid Suh $16M/year? If Rex didn't tank the first matchup against them to spite Idzik, even our Geno-led, 4-12 team would have swept them in 2014.

It never looked like a killer schedule last year. There is certainly no way that, one year ago, you or anyone thought the 2015 schedule looked just as hard as this one does today. There were exactly 2 games that we thought would be hard but weren't due to injuries (Indy + Dallas), and they were still contested games as it was. Further, even those would be offset by 2 additional harder games we get this year for 2nd-place schedule reasons while facing better division(s). 

Some people were picking Philadelphia for the Superbowl!

The Bills were definitely highly touted. Their Defense was supposed to be incredible, although I agree that was always pretty hypothetical and they still had huge question marks. I don't think many thought they'd be as bad as they were though, same for Miami. 

The schedule definitely looked easier than this one. Not debating that, just that it's difficult to project in May what any team will look like in October, including the Jets.

Archived