They should cut Dee Milliner. 4 mil in cap savings

jetguy32

3 hours ago, jetguy32 said:

I thought over the cap had a 4 million dollar savings. I could be wrong. 

Not could be. You are. His 4 million dollar salary is dead money if cut. You save zero by cutting him. Also, CB depth is a real issue right now as well. He'll get one more offseason to show something. I doubt he will. 

4 hours ago, jetguy32 said:

Why won't they release Milliner... it will save 4 mill in cap space. He is at best our 5th corner who wont stay healthy. 

Don't understand keeping him. 

Milliner's contract is fully guaranteed, no cap savings in cutting him.

52 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

There no upside in cutting one of your starting corners, especially when it gets you no significant cap room.

The fan bloodlust for this guy is absurd.

Eh, he's been pretty bad. Especially for where he was picked. He had some flare ups, but he's mediocre at best. And that's when he's actually playing. He's missed more games than he's played. 

8 hours ago, jetguy32 said:

Why won't they release Milliner... it will save 4 mill in cap space. He is at best our 5th corner who wont stay healthy. 

Don't understand keeping him. 

His $4 million hit (a mixture of salary, amortized signing bonus and roster bonus) is fully guaranteed.  We take the cap hit whether he is on the team or not.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/dee-milliner/

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

There no upside in cutting one of your starting corners, especially when it gets you no significant cap room.

The fan bloodlust for this guy is absurd.

Except he's not a starting corner.  In fact last season he was behind both Williams and McDougle.  He never sniffered an outside CB role all year.  In fact he hasn't since his rookie season 3 years ago.  Now with that said contrary to the OP's note, there is no monetary benefit of cutting him, so there is no sense cutting him.  But right now he's not even a football player.  If you have high expectations of him you're setting yourself up for disappointment.  Much like Cro this kid is a hell of an athlete with little in the way of technique.  With all the injuries he's sustained his athletic edge is likely gone, which means he will have had to seriously upgrade his technique over these last years which is doubtful because he's spent most of that time on a stationary bike. 

8 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

It's my belief there is no money saved by cutting him, it's a guaranteed salary.  The front office isn't stupid, otherwise Milliner would've been cut loose already.

This.

And the Jets have very little leverage in renegotiating with him either. If you get him to take some of the guarantee as a bonus, then you have to add years. Why add years with a guy that has barely seen the field? 

You don't. Better off just biting the bullet with him this year, and hoping he can contribute.

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

Eh, he's been pretty bad. Especially for where he was picked. He had some flare ups, but he's mediocre at best. And that's when he's actually playing. He's missed more games than he's played. 

Where he was picked is no longer relevant. And it's simply not true that he has been bad when he has played. His biggest problem has been the ability to stay healthy. When he has played, he developed well. If he's healthy, he'll be in contention to start. Let's not pretend that our other corners on the roster behind Revis are anything more than JAGS. He might just be the 2nd best one we have, even if it doesn't mean he's anything more than that either. 

Now that MIlliner is  finally coming into  camp healthy, some of you GM wannabes want to cut him? Brilliant.  He may be a bust, but there is no reason to cut a kid with his potential that showed some flashes towards  the end of his rookie season. 

I am not suggesting we give him a long term contract or that we name him the starter today, but there is no good reason to cut him when he is currently healthy and cutting him saves nothing against the cap. Cutting guys like him and Geno only make angry/bitter fans happy. Luckily Mccags is running the show and not SOJFs. 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Brick and Revis should restructure though

Don't think Revis will restructure.  At least not this year.  Brick has to restructure. 

Is the Revis contract guaranteed for three years?

6 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

When they drafted him I was pissed. He was an overrated CB on a great Alabama team but his biggest fault was all his past injuries he had already had.  Just can't draft a guy that high with 4 issues on his body. 

I think he has alot of promise if he can stay on the field.  Last 4 games of his rookie season, there was alot to be excited about.  

Archived