Gailey pouring over old Redskins/Baylor games.

32EBoozer

6 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Trust me I became a Jets fan when they drafted Joe.  I was 12 then.  I'm just saying that our board would be all he is the greatest or he is a piece of sh*t depending upon which camp you were in.  Read through the Fitz, Geno, and RG3 threads, it's kind of comical.

Then you must surely remember the way the game was played in those days.....defensive guys like Ben Davidson and Buck Buchannon literally throwing QB's down to the ground with no penalty. D-backs able to hold and chuck a guy all over the field, no yardage limitations, until the ball was in the air. The refs called nothing on the D in those days, polar opposite from today's nonsense. With all that, Namath threw for 4,000 yards in 1967 in a 14 game season, first guy in history to do so, when the best QB's were barely over 3,000. In today's NFL, Namath would be putting up numbers that would make Rodgers and Brady jealous.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

IYO

Jets Free Agency: The Big Board

There is a room on the 2nd floor at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center that is ground zero for free agency. Much like the draft board before the NFL’s annual selection meeting, the Jets create a free agency board well before the beginning of the NFL’s free agency/trading period on March 9.

“It’s set up similar to the college board. Vertically it’s by position and horizontally it’s by grade,” says Jets pro personnel director Matt Bazirgan. “This includes UFAs, RFAs and it also includes players we project to be cap cuts. So the guys at the top will generally be the upper echelon players that are going to be available by grade and then as you work down on the board each position vertically, it goes by a higher level of grade, next level and all the way down towards your backup level caliber player.”

After the Jets’ 10-win season ended in Buffalo, the free agency preparation got turned up a notch.

“We ramp up after the season, we’ll meet multiple times per week. So we have two sets of meetings,” Bazirgan said. “Our first meeting we’ll all get together. The primary guy who is responsible for the player will read his evaluation. We’ll all watch 20-30 clips, plays on the player together and kind of put a preliminary grade on the player.”

After a preliminary grade is assigned, Bazirgan and pro scouts Tom Gibbons, Greg Nejmeh & Dan Zbojovsky circle back for an even more thorough review. While each scout is assigned a team to monitor during the regular season, they also have positions to cross-check.

“A couple of weeks ago, we got back together for about eight days and kind of went back over everything,” Bazirgan said. “All right the cross-check guy comes in with a grade. OK here is the final grade. How do we stack ‘em by position? We won’t watch film the second time around, so it’s a little bit more of a quicker process.”

And the board can change with a moment’s notice. Jackie Davidson, who as the team’s director of football administration manages the Jets salary cap and player budget, plays a critical role while forecasting trends for the NFL salary cap and player costs.

“Jackie has a really sound feel,” Bazirgan said.  “I think when we meet, we can kind of help each other out a little bit as who we project to be cap cuts. And there are always a couple of surprises and also as we get closer to it now, you’re seeing more media reports. Sometimes you can get ahead of it, some are really obvious. And then others you kind of have to weed out a little bit.”

Todd Bowles’ coaching staff also gets into the scouting mix in the offseason. After going 100 MPH from July until January, the assistants are brought up to speed on the free agency board.

“They’re a key component to it. They’re a fresh set of eyes, but they also give you a good feel for okay this is how he fits for us,” Bazirgan said. “We certainly have a good idea of our system, but those guys have intricate details of what the players will be asked to do. Particularly on defense, that’s first, second and third down. Is this guy a base player, is he a sub player or is he a both? Is he a three-down player? Who is he better than on our roster? Does he upgrade us? Does he not? And then of course with Brant (Boyer) coming on too from a special teams standpoint, that gets mixed in too.”

There are multiple tiers in free agency. While GM Mike Maccagnan has said he would like to retain as many of the Jets free agents as possible, the roster will change and depth acquisitions will be critical.

“There are a lot of good football players in our league. They just have different levels and certain roles,” Bazirgan said. “It’s really a keen eye in scouting comes in for all of us, for Greg, Tom, Dan and myself is finding those guys who can fill a certain role. They might not have a big name. The outside perception might be, ‘Who’s that?’  But we’ve done the work on him and we feel he can fit a role at a certain price. We feel those guys are just as important as your higher-priced guys.”

The 2016 Jets’ board, which is set up vertically by position and horizontally by grade, is ultimately determined by a familiar credo.

“You do it by the best player. That’s kind of how you have your board,” Bazirgan said. “There might be certain guys that you target that you say we know where he’s going to be at – whether it’s the position or the money or something – and hey we’re not going to be there, but we’ll still give the player his due.”

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-6/Jets-Free-Agency-The-Big-Board/b4436b22-960b-4c3d-89ac-b14b3d5cf8d2

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Jets Free Agency: The Big Board

There is a room on the 2nd floor at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center that is ground zero for free agency. Much like the draft board before the NFL’s annual selection meeting, the Jets create a free agency board well before the beginning of the NFL’s free agency/trading period on March 9.

“It’s set up similar to the college board. Vertically it’s by position and horizontally it’s by grade,” says Jets pro personnel director Matt Bazirgan. “This includes UFAs, RFAs and it also includes players we project to be cap cuts. So the guys at the top will generally be the upper echelon players that are going to be available by grade and then as you work down on the board each position vertically, it goes by a higher level of grade, next level and all the way down towards your backup level caliber player.”

After the Jets’ 10-win season ended in Buffalo, the free agency preparation got turned up a notch.

“We ramp up after the season, we’ll meet multiple times per week. So we have two sets of meetings,” Bazirgan said. “Our first meeting we’ll all get together. The primary guy who is responsible for the player will read his evaluation. We’ll all watch 20-30 clips, plays on the player together and kind of put a preliminary grade on the player.”

After a preliminary grade is assigned, Bazirgan and pro scouts Tom Gibbons, Greg Nejmeh & Dan Zbojovsky circle back for an even more thorough review. While each scout is assigned a team to monitor during the regular season, they also have positions to cross-check.

“A couple of weeks ago, we got back together for about eight days and kind of went back over everything,” Bazirgan said. “All right the cross-check guy comes in with a grade. OK here is the final grade. How do we stack ‘em by position? We won’t watch film the second time around, so it’s a little bit more of a quicker process.”

And the board can change with a moment’s notice. Jackie Davidson, who as the team’s director of football administration manages the Jets salary cap and player budget, plays a critical role while forecasting trends for the NFL salary cap and player costs.

“Jackie has a really sound feel,” Bazirgan said.  “I think when we meet, we can kind of help each other out a little bit as who we project to be cap cuts. And there are always a couple of surprises and also as we get closer to it now, you’re seeing more media reports. Sometimes you can get ahead of it, some are really obvious. And then others you kind of have to weed out a little bit.”

Todd Bowles’ coaching staff also gets into the scouting mix in the offseason. After going 100 MPH from July until January, the assistants are brought up to speed on the free agency board.

“They’re a key component to it. They’re a fresh set of eyes, but they also give you a good feel for okay this is how he fits for us,” Bazirgan said. “We certainly have a good idea of our system, but those guys have intricate details of what the players will be asked to do. Particularly on defense, that’s first, second and third down. Is this guy a base player, is he a sub player or is he a both? Is he a three-down player? Who is he better than on our roster? Does he upgrade us? Does he not? And then of course with Brant (Boyer) coming on too from a special teams standpoint, that gets mixed in too.”

There are multiple tiers in free agency. While GM Mike Maccagnan has said he would like to retain as many of the Jets free agents as possible, the roster will change and depth acquisitions will be critical.

“There are a lot of good football players in our league. They just have different levels and certain roles,” Bazirgan said. “It’s really a keen eye in scouting comes in for all of us, for Greg, Tom, Dan and myself is finding those guys who can fill a certain role. They might not have a big name. The outside perception might be, ‘Who’s that?’  But we’ve done the work on him and we feel he can fit a role at a certain price. We feel those guys are just as important as your higher-priced guys.”

The 2016 Jets’ board, which is set up vertically by position and horizontally by grade, is ultimately determined by a familiar credo.

“You do it by the best player. That’s kind of how you have your board,” Bazirgan said. “There might be certain guys that you target that you say we know where he’s going to be at – whether it’s the position or the money or something – and hey we’re not going to be there, but we’ll still give the player his due.”

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-6/Jets-Free-Agency-The-Big-Board/b4436b22-960b-4c3d-89ac-b14b3d5cf8d2

Great find CMart!!!  You should probably put it in a seperate thread so everyone knows how the team

addresses free agency

6 hours ago, Joejet said:

Trust me I became a Jets fan when they drafted Joe.  I was 12 then.  I'm just saying that our board would be all he is the greatest or he is a piece of sh*t depending upon which camp you were in.  Read through the Fitz, Geno, and RG3 threads, it's kind of comical.

Oh I understand now. We could have Joe Montana in his prime and he wouldn't get 100% support here. :)

7 hours ago, section314 said:

Then you must surely remember the way the game was played in those days.....defensive guys like Ben Davidson and Buck Buchannon literally throwing QB's down to the ground with no penalty. D-backs able to hold and chuck a guy all over the field, no yardage limitations, until the ball was in the air. The refs called nothing on the D in those days, polar opposite from today's nonsense. With all that, Namath threw for 4,000 yards in 1967 in a 14 game season, first guy in history to do so, when the best QB's were barely over 3,000. In today's NFL, Namath would be putting up numbers that would make Rodgers and Brady jealous.

Don't get me wrong I'm not questioning the greatness of Joe, he was my favorite.  I was taking a playful shot at our board and the polarizing opinions of different players, specifically QBs.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Oh I understand now. We could have Joe Montana in his prime and he wouldn't get 100% support here. :)

Oh please, Montana  had Jerry Rice and John Taylor just like Fitz had Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.  Just a weak-armed QB who threw to a pair of dominant WR's, right?

35 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Don't get me wrong I'm not questioning the greatness of Joe, he was my favorite.  I was taking a playful shot at our board and the polarizing opinions of different players, specifically QBs.

Point well taken. It is crazy much of the time. But it does keep us all engaged and entertained.

16 hours ago, section314 said:

Point well taken. It is crazy much of the time. But it does keep us all engaged and entertained.

Especially when we are just waiting for info on Fitz, Mo, RG3..... signing some OLmen etc.

Can't wait for the draft!!

17 hours ago, AFJF said:

Oh please, Montana  had Jerry Rice and John Taylor just like Fitz had Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.  Just a weak-armed QB who threw to a pair of dominant WR's, right?

Except Montana could actually beat a halfway decent team 

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:29 AM, 32EBoozer said:

Trying to see if RG3 can handle his system.

Chan came out of retirement to win a ring. I'm not sure that his affection for Fitz would override his desire to get to the Playoffs and win a ring.

I'm sure he realizes Fitz can't take him there. Can RG3? Can Petty?Really sucks being in the position again... trying to find competent QB play.

this team sh*t the bed last year much more often than Fitz did . If we diod not have the total breakdowns that cost us games in every facet of the game we easily make the playoffs last year. You forget the ridiculous ST play ? The stupid Fumbles ?? The dropped passes that could of should of won us games ?? this team should have been 11-4 going into the buffalo game and they should have done it easily without all the stupid mistakes. Fitz is fully capable of getting this team into the playoffs next year with the Trio of RB's we now have and should of had last year. That and the addition of a (at the very least) decent TE would make a huge difference. In the Buffalo game late the Bills sold out on our WR's making next to impossible to throw to them. We had no TE and our REB was Steven Ridley of the cement shoe variety yet Jets fans in all their infinite wisdom puit the blame once again on the QB. Its the easy way out for some fans who really do not understand the team concept or what a QB's job is in an offense.

26 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yeah, thanks to Rice and Taylor.

Most people on this forum don't realize Montana had a weak arm bottom 3rd of the NFL at the time yet he is and was the greatest QB in NFL history IMHO/ He had a coach who masterfully built a team around him and He had smarts. Fitz has those qualities and should NEVER be asked to do something he can't do just like Walsh did with Joe. You Never ever saw Montana throwing bombs all over the field he utilized his FB and TB more than anyone on the league and had a clutch TE. Joe managed games batter than anyone yet in the Jets fans world game managers cant win because, you know, its ALL about the QB

20 hours ago, AFJF said:

Rodger Craig and Tom Rathman were a huge part of what SF did they always attacked the short middle of the field with the RB and FB something todays NFL just does not bother with. there is a reason the WC offense is still going yet some teams that run it forget some of the most important parts of what made that system work.

Just now, Smashmouth said:

Most people on this forum don't realize Montana had a weak arm bottom 3rd of the NFL at the time yet he is and was the greatest QB in NFL history IMHO/ He had a coach who masterfully built a team around him and He had smarts. Fitz has those qualities and should NEVER be asked to do something he can't do just like Walsh did with Joe. You Never ever saw Montana throwing bombs all over the field he utilized his FB and TB more than anyone on the league and had a clutch TE. Joe managed games batter than anyone yet in the Jets fans world game managers cant win because, you know, its ALL about the QB

So.... I'm going to put you down in the "Keep Fitz" column?

Ok. Got it.

Now put down the weapon! :snip:

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Ok. Got it.

Damn right Im in the FItz camp because bringing in anyone else is a losing proposition not because of pure talent but because of what else goes with the QB position and that's a grasp of the offense and players you are on the same page with. So many Jets fans bashed Fitz early when he was developing that relationship with his WR's yet as he and they got more comfortable they really started to click. So now in pure stupid Jets fashion we are taking a chance at losing what we gained last year and building on it. Its simply SOJ if they don't sign Fitz and if people think Glennon or Kaep are going to march in here learn an offense and just click right off the bat they are not paying attention to the NFL the past 40 years. QB's just don't step in like that. It usually takes years for QB's to build that up and yes it takes the great ones time as well.

55 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Damn right Im in the FItz camp because bringing in anyone else is a losing proposition not because of pure talent but because of what else goes with the QB position and that's a grasp of the offense and players you are on the same page with. So many Jets fans bashed Fitz early when he was developing that relationship with his WR's yet as he and they got more comfortable they really started to click. So now in pure stupid Jets fashion we are taking a chance at losing what we gained last year and building on it. Its simply SOJ if they don't sign Fitz and if people think Glennon or Kaep are going to march in here learn an offense and just click right off the bat they are not paying attention to the NFL the past 40 years. QB's just don't step in like that. It usually takes years for QB's to build that up and yes it takes the great ones time as well.

Wo Nelly,

I love Fitz the leader and like Fitz the QB. Hope they bring him back on a reasonable deal. He is most definitely our best option for this season, but next yr. or the yr. after I am hoping for a long term solution. Fitz is NOT that guy. Hoping Petty can step up or Mac can find us "the guy"

I'm open to RG3 or Kap coming in and trying to show they can be that guy. Giving Fitz anything over $10m what make that an impossibility.

Jets fan for over 40 yrs & I don't remember a regime quite like this one. Jets iMaster Mi-Kel Macc has used his Jets-i mind trick & has set a price that has proven to be right. Sexton &/or Fitz have seriously misjudged his market value. The more I think on it the more I realize that Chan, above all others knows Fitz's limitations. I trust in this regime to do what's right, besides Davis (even that's debatable) they have done what's needed to be done. I'm sure they are seriously contemplating whether RGIII or Kaep can take us further than Fitz. I believe Fitz reached his ceiling last season against an easy schedule. Fitz is what he is... a backup. Nothing more. His only value is to us & that's because of Chan, were Fitz has averaged 26 tds per season yet has only 1 winning season to show for it. Might be wise for Macc to move on. If he doesn't, it's for the sake of continuity with Chan's & Jets iMaster Tod-2-Supr Bowles. I just always remember & keep calm.

11 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Montana sure could and did occasionally throw the ball downfield.  

Please, other than both not having strong arms, Montana & Fitz have pretty much nothing in common.  Montana is known for being clutch.  Fitz, for being a nice guy who isn't Geno.  

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Ok. Got it.

Just remember, every loss was on the Jets.

Every win was due to Fitzs grasp of the offense.

Actually I think this means that Fitz went undefeated. 

Lol

Gentleman, Gentleman please. From what I've heard RGIII hasn't played & has had well over a yr to heal, some personnel people believe he may "still" run a 4.5  forty (maybe even sub) some believe he's not yet at the height of his powers. I have been saying this for a week now... Sexton and/or Fitz seriously misjudged his market value. Elway, who knows a thing or two about QBs would rather trade for Sanchez than overpay Fitzpatrick. Fitz has neither skill, talent, pedigree or age of Bradford, Cousins, Brock or even Kaep or RG III. Jets iMaster Mi-Kel Macc has played this perfectly! Last off-season Fitz was brought in to backup Geno & Marshall said he chose the Jets because of "Geno". I would rather have Geno (God forbid) vs RGIII (Lord help) compete in Chan's system than overpay Fritz. So please. This is a very different regime than we've probably ever had & I been a Jets & NFL fan for over 40 yrs. So please, let's all relax & allow this little saga to play itself out. And I don't think Macc will risk it to continue too much further.

13 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

[–]JetsNannigarCire 43 points  

he should be even better next year.

No, he shouldn't.

He faced the 32nd SOS and the 31st schedule of defenses. He faced the NFCE and AFCS, the two worst divisions in each conference this year. He faced the AFCE in a season where two of the franchises went in a complete downhill slope.

On top of that, he was the second least accurate passer last year, threw a pass into the hands of a defender once per every 18 throws (4th worst in the league), got lucky enough to only have 33% caught (5th luckiest in the league), put up a bottom 8 Comp %, YPA, one of the highest actual INT counts despite being 5th luckiest in the amount dropped, and then on top of that had a top 5 defense on the other side that kept giving him back the ball to rack up volume yardage as his efficiency was on par with Geno Smiths in 2014 (YPA, Comp % and EVEN 3 AND OUTS!) despite a hugely different cast, scheme, defense, AND second easiest schedule in the league.

No, you've seen him way past his ceiling, and we're just talking about stats. This isn't even talking about his lacking skills yet. His inability to go through reads, the way he decides nearly every play before the snap, lack of accuracy, complete disregard of patience in the pocket, on top of other minor issues that all add up to an incompetent QB who has had a very lucky career.

next year he faces the NFCW and AFCN. We faced 1 top 10 DVOA defense all year, Houston. Fitzpatrick threw 7 interceptable passes that game and had 15 total passes touch the hands of a defender. We face 6 next year.

*if you see this comment and want to see Fitzpatrick for yourself, here's a wiki link from the Jets sub that i've been maintaining that shows many of his stats in context + gifs of his play from throughout the season. He is a QB that looks okay on live TV when you can't see his decision making process and what the scheme asks of him, but when you see what he is asked to do and how poor his thought processes are, you will come to the same realization many others who have watched him play have. He's hurting a good team more than helping it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nyjets/wiki/statsdump

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Montana sure could and did occasionally throw the ball downfield.  

Please, other than both not having strong arms, Montana & Fitz have pretty much nothing in common.  Montana is known for being clutch.  Fitz, for being a nice guy who isn't Geno.  

Compared to Geno, Fitz is basically Montana.

7 hours ago, artemusclyde said:

[–]JetsNannigarCire 43 points  

he should be even better next year.

No, he shouldn't.

He faced the 32nd SOS and the 31st schedule of defenses. He faced the NFCE and AFCS, the two worst divisions in each conference this year. He faced the AFCE in a season where two of the franchises went in a complete downhill slope.

On top of that, he was the second least accurate passer last year, threw a pass into the hands of a defender once per every 18 throws (4th worst in the league), got lucky enough to only have 33% caught (5th luckiest in the league), put up a bottom 8 Comp %, YPA, one of the highest actual INT counts despite being 5th luckiest in the amount dropped, and then on top of that had a top 5 defense on the other side that kept giving him back the ball to rack up volume yardage as his efficiency was on par with Geno Smiths in 2014 (YPA, Comp % and EVEN 3 AND OUTS!) despite a hugely different cast, scheme, defense, AND second easiest schedule in the league.

No, you've seen him way past his ceiling, and we're just talking about stats. This isn't even talking about his lacking skills yet. His inability to go through reads, the way he decides nearly every play before the snap, lack of accuracy, complete disregard of patience in the pocket, on top of other minor issues that all add up to an incompetent QB who has had a very lucky career.

next year he faces the NFCW and AFCN. We faced 1 top 10 DVOA defense all year, Houston. Fitzpatrick threw 7 interceptable passes that game and had 15 total passes touch the hands of a defender. We face 6 next year.

*if you see this comment and want to see Fitzpatrick for yourself, here's a wiki link from the Jets sub that i've been maintaining that shows many of his stats in context + gifs of his play from throughout the season. He is a QB that looks okay on live TV when you can't see his decision making process and what the scheme asks of him, but when you see what he is asked to do and how poor his thought processes are, you will come to the same realization many others who have watched him play have. He's hurting a good team more than helping it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nyjets/wiki/statsdump

OOOH!!! Pretty colors!

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Compared to Geno, Fitz is basically Montana.

Montana was the ultimate winner.

Fitz in 11 seasons has never made the playoffs.  

There is a lot to like about Fitz but he should never be mentioned in the same sentence with Joe Cool

Archived