Jason Cole confirms Jets tried to trade for the first pick and still looking to trade up for a QB

Jetsbb

18 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

You guys are still clinging onto if the jets had space he would of already of been signed? The jets had 9 million open up when brick retired yet gave 6 to clady instead. If jets wanted him signed so bad they would of given that money to fitztragic instead of clady 

Just pointing out that they can't sign him at the moment and they felt getting a LT locked up now was higher priority vs a QB that doesn't have many, if any, other options. 

The Jets must know what the #2 pick would cost them if they tried for the #1.   That is the spot that makes it "easiest" to trade for right now if you want either Wentz or Goff because any team they trade with will want to make sure they can work a deal with Mo.  I am assuming of course that Mo is involved in any deal.  

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

It's only been 44 years for me so I'm still patiently waiting. 

Re-signing Fitzpatrick is not the action of a patient fan. It's the action of someone who can't wait until the next hopeful is here and has to have something right now. If you're truly patient, you know that (if we don't take a QB this year) we're in a better position to get one next year by starting Bryce Petty than Ryan Fitzpatrick. Not to mention the possibility - whatever that is - of Petty surprising for the better, if he's offered an actual opportunity. And if he sucks, then we lose more games and get a better draft pick next year. That's the patient man's stance.

I don't think it has to do with having or not having patience. We've had opportunities to draft QBs in recent years, but didn't take them because the team was already invested in someone else. I'm ok with trading up, but they'd better be sure. Not simply because of the "wasted" draft picks (which aren't wasted if we do end up with a good QB), but because of what may be the opportunity lost a year or two later while we're all-in on Wentz/Lynch/Cook through 2018 at a minimum. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Re-signing Fitzpatrick is not the action of a patient fan. It's the action of someone who can't wait until the next hopeful is here and has to have something right now. If you're truly patient, you know that (if we don't take a QB this year) we're in a better position to get one next year by starting Bryce Petty than Ryan Fitzpatrick. Not to mention the possibility - whatever that is - of Petty surprising for the better, if he's offered an actual opportunity. And if he sucks, then we lose more games and get a better draft pick next year. That's the patient man's stance.

I don't think it has to do with having or not having patience. We've had opportunities to draft QBs in recent years, but didn't take them because the team was already invested in someone else. I'm ok with trading up, but they'd better be sure. Not simply because of the "wasted" draft picks (which aren't wasted if we do end up with a good QB), but because of what may be the opportunity lost a year or two later while we're all-in on Wentz/Lynch/Cook through 2018 at a minimum. 

100% totally disagree you are the polar opposite of being patient.   Starting Petty would be 100% impatient.  He has had a whopping one year of NFL training coming from system that was not pro ready.  After being impatient with Sanchez and Geno and seeing the results you want to do the same thing over again.

Being patient would be drafting a Qb this year, signing Fitzpatrick or another vet and let both Petty and new QB (no matter where he is drafted) and having them have proper training before tossing them into the fire.  Guys like Osweiler and Aaron rogers had extended on the bench years.  

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

100% totally disagree you are the polar opposite of being patient.   Starting Petty would be 100% impatient.  He has had a whopping one year of NFL training coming from system that was not pro ready.  After being impatient with Sanchez and Geno and seeing the results you want to do the same thing over again.

Being patient would be drafting a Qb this year, signing Fitzpatrick or another vet and let both Petty and new QB (no matter where he is drafted) and having them have proper training before tossing them into the fire.  Guys like Osweiler and Aaron rogers had extended on the bench years.  

No, that depends on if you are starting from the presumed position of Petty just needing more time to be a franchise QB. The team has clearly indicated they think his upside is as a #2. If you're just buying time until Petty or a rookie is ready, then you don't waste the $ for a proper supporting cast by paying Ryan Fitzpatrick upwards of the $18M/year he's seeking. You go with someone expendable, whether that's Petty or someone else. I'm looking at the team offering up nearly $10M for Fitz, and then trying to trade up to draft a merely decent QB prospect, as well as the GM's and coach's own comments, as indications of what they think of Petty's potential.

In no way does signing Fitzpatrick represent "patience" being shown. It is borne of impatient fans who simply must have an imagined extra 3 wins that will still fall well short of a serious Super Bowl run. As though all of last season all he was doing was showing up against good defenses, or coming to the rescue when our defense/special teams had a day off.

And I wish people would stop with the Aaron Rodgers comparisons. He is a unique talent. There is 1 of him. One doesn't become Aaron Rodgers because of time on the bench nor does it prevent becoming him because of the lack of it. I'm sure if Peyton Manning was benched for 3 years you'd say his career went as great as it did because he was benched for 3 years. Meanwhile, after actually benching him for 3 years and seeing him up close for 4, if the Broncos felt Osweiller was Manning II then they would have offered him more $. Walking into a Super Bowl situation, all that benching didn't make Osweiller into Aaron Rodgers when his time finally came. Why? Because Brock Osweiller is not Aaron Rodgers. And neither is Bryce Petty. 

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Seriously.  I just dont understand how they think any of these QB's are worth mortgaging the future.  It's bizarre.  And you saw the cost it will take which is ridiculous.  

Hoyer will be the Jets QB.  You just watch.

It is NOT "mortgaging the future."  It is trying to secure one.  I hate that statement because there is no future without a franchise QB. 

The Redskins supposedly "mortgaged their future" for a failed RG3.  And guess what?  They played the same caliber of football as the Rams who got all those picks and the Jets.  Mediocre.

The Rams learned from it by using those picks to get to #1. 

QB or you're wasting time.

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

It is NOT "mortgaging the future."  It is trying to secure one.  I hate that statement because there is no future without a franchise QB. 

The Redskins supposedly "mortgaged their future" for a failed RG3.  And guess what?  They played the same caliber of football as the Rams who got all those picks and the Jets.  Mediocre.

After RG3's rookies season, they went  3-14, 4-12 and then 9-7.  lol  They're terrible and only reason they had a winning record was because the NFCE was a disaster.

They 100% mortgaged their future and so would the Jets if they traded 2 years worth of drafts picks for a kid who played at North Dakota St. 

36 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

If we had a franchise QB and kept wasting away draft picks by trading up for a rb or wr every year and they became busts then I'd be on the band wagon of "stop wasting picks." But I'm with you, if you don't have a QB you don't have anything. You're showing up to gun fights with knives.

Get the QB, then use your picks to enhance team.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I want to take a QB this year but not if they have to trade up to do it.  I'm  patient as far as expecting to win anything. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, that depends on if you are starting from the presumed position of Petty just needing more time to be a franchise QB. The team has clearly indicated they think his upside is as a #2. If you're just buying time until Petty or a rookie is ready, then you don't waste the $ for a proper supporting cast by paying Ryan Fitzpatrick upwards of the $18M/year he's seeking. You go with someone expendable, whether that's Petty or someone else. I'm looking at the team offering up nearly $10M for Fitz, and then trying to trade up to draft a merely decent QB prospect, as well as the GM's and coach's own comments, as indications of what they think of Petty's potential.

In no way does signing Fitzpatrick represent "patience" being shown. It is borne of impatient fans who simply must have an imagined extra 3 wins that will still fall well short of a serious Super Bowl run. As though all of last season all he was doing was showing up against good defenses, or coming to the rescue when our defense/special teams had a day off.

And I wish people would stop with the Aaron Rodgers comparisons. He is a unique talent. There is 1 of him. One doesn't become Aaron Rodgers because of time on the bench nor does it prevent becoming him because of the lack of it. I'm sure if Peyton Manning was benched for 3 years you'd say his career went as great as it did because he was benched for 3 years. Meanwhile, after actually benching him for 3 years and seeing him up close for 4, if the Broncos felt Osweiller was Manning II then they would have offered him more $. Walking into a Super Bowl situation, all that benching didn't make Osweiller into Aaron Rodgers when his time finally came. Why? Because Brock Osweiller is not Aaron Rodgers. And neither is Bryce Petty. 

That's just not true, Bowles said now he is a #2.  Never did he say he will never be more then a #2.    Talk about just making stuff up.

Wentz is much much more then "merely a decent QB prospect" 

I also fully agree on your Aaron Rogers point.

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Or 14-2 imagine that then what would all the Geno haters do.

Be happy and cheer for success, unlike the dumbo anti Fitzpatrick crowd that despite a winning record and a very good year find any reason to dump all over his performance.  I suppose one could say that since he didn't win the super bowl he sucked or that the only reason they were 14-2 was due to weaponzzzzzz and that Marshall and decker were 100% fully responsible for it.

38 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

That's just not true, Bowles said now he is a #2.  Never did he say he will never be more then a #2.    Talk about just making stuff up.

Wentz is much much more then "merely a decent QB prospect" 

I also fully agree on your Aaron Rogers point.

Calm yourself. What Maccagnan said, in so many words, is if Petty really works hard (harder) and applies himself, he could grow into a solid #2. I can't help it if you are unaware of the team's public comments. 

That, compounded by Bowles's own criticism, and the Jets looking to trade up in round 1 for a QB, tells me how they see Petty. Teams don't bet the farm on trading up for a QB in round 1 - or ask about guys like RG3 or Glennon - if they are at all optimistic they have a young future starter already on the roster. 

"Merely a decent prospect" as in compared to one considered to be a "can't miss" type prospect, which he is not. Think Luck, Palmer, Manning (both of them), and some select others. Goff isn't necessarily a "great" prospect himself, and it's unclear Wentz will be drafted ahead of him. He may have great physical talent, but if there weren't serious questions/concerns he would be the unquestioned and obvious #1 overall pick.

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Be happy and cheer for success, unlike the dumbo anti Fitzpatrick crowd that despite a winning record and a very good year find any reason to dump all over his performance.  I suppose one could say that since he didn't win the super bowl he sucked or that the only reason they were 14-2 was due to weaponzzzzzz and that Marshall and decker were 100% fully responsible for it.

I doubt it many would crawl under a rock and ridicule something. The waeponzzzzzz same as Fitzpatrick had and failed to make the playoffs :D

I'm not buying this notion that if the Jets start Petty this year, it would be an impatient move on their part.  Are we saying that if he sits one more year and "watches" and "learns" that he will somehow transform into this capable QB which he presumably isn't right now?  I don't' buy that.  If Petty is an NFL QB, he should be able to play NOW after one year on the bench, and if we toss him out there and he stinks, the likelihood is that he would stink even if the Jets  waited one more year.  Good QB's can become really good to great QB's with some good coaching and game experience.  Bad QB's usually stay bad no matter what you do.  Don't get me wrong, I would rather NOT start Petty this year.  I'm hoping the Jets draft a QB in the first round and start him right away, or at least at some point this year.  What i don't want to see is another "stopgap" QB at the helm like Hoyer or even Fitzpatrick for the whole 2016 season.  The Jets have to stop spinning their wheels and find the right player to be their franchise QB.  If they don't think that guy is in this draft, THEN I'm fine with playing Petty to see what he's got.  No Geno, no Hoyer, no other veteran stiff.

34 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Calm yourself. What Maccagnan said, in so many words, is if Petty really works hard (harder) and applies himself, he could grow into a solid #2. I can't help it if you are unaware of the team's public comments. 

That, compounded by Bowles's own criticism, and the Jets looking to trade up in round 1 for a QB, tells me how they see Petty. Teams don't bet the farm on trading up for a QB in round 1 - or ask about guys like RG3 or Glennon - if they are at all optimistic they have a young future starter already on the roster. 

"Merely a decent prospect" as in compared to one considered to be a "can't miss" type prospect, which he is not. Think Luck, Palmer, Manning (both of them), and some select others. Goff isn't necessarily a "great" prospect himself, and it's unclear Wentz will be drafted ahead of him. He may have great physical talent, but if there weren't serious questions/concerns he would be the unquestioned and obvious #1 overall pick.

No your wrong  flat out, that's not what Bowles said.   Not my fault you want to quote what you think he said.  its wrong.

I am also not says that Bowles thinks or has said he has confidence that Petty is a starter and they are all set.  There is a big difference between the two.

Wentz is much more then "merely a decent prospect", I think you are selling him very short.

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

No your wrong  flat out, that's not what Bowles said.   Not my fault you want to quote what you think he said.  its wrong.

I am also not says that Bowles thinks or has said he has confidence that Petty is a starter and they are all set.  There is a big difference between the two.

Wentz is much more then "merely a decent prospect", I think you are selling him very short.

I think you're having trouble reading, and see what you want to see, in your endeavors to try to show me up.  Maccagnan said he could grow into a solid #2 back in January. I never attributed that statement to Bowles.

Bowles lumped the idea of Petty the starter as an "option" as being among a group of "a lot of" options he clearly doesn't want to choose from. That was WELL short of his relative praise even for Geno, who few think is a great "option" as it is. When asked about Geno he said it's a good problem to have 2 good QBs (i.e. 2 QBs who could start). Two. As in, Fitz and Geno, 1 and 2. Not 3 as in Fitz and Geno and Petty.

Then when directed to answer about Petty specifically, since he was conspicuously left out of Bowles's prior "two good QBs" answer and others, what he said was the nice way of saying "Meh, not really" (not throwing the kid under the bus for no reason, because Bowles isn't a dirtbag). He then instantly moved off specific talk of Petty and lumped him in with a miscellaneous number of other options he doesn't think of too hotly.

He said Petty could be an option (not that he is an option), along with "a lot of people" when there aren't even "a lot of" QBs here in the first place. It effectively means - barring a major surprise turnaround by Petty himself - before they're down to him as a starting option, they're going to bring in / look at many other options to reach "a lot of people" to choose from.

I mean it's not a ringing endorsement, to answer a "Could Petty start?" type question, by bringing up the idea that, well, every team has a plan B...C...D... (before he stopped spouting off letters). Few - if any - could read and hear Bowles's comments, and come away with the idea that Bowles really sees Bryce Petty as a serious option to be the team's starter.

So I take those statements from Bowles, after the statements from Maccagnan earlier, and combine that with all the team's done to bring in another QB, and it points to one thing: they do not see Bryce Petty as the Jets' starting QB unless the starter gets injured. In a word, he's a backup.

@Joe Jets fan

The team has put in a year of time and effort after their draft pick and pre-draft analysis investment of Bryce Petty. The result of that is they:

• offered Fitzmeh about $10M so far
  • spoke of the great Geno Smith only as the "good" QB on the team without Fitzpatrick
  • called about trading for Mike Glennon
  • brought in RG3 for a visit
  • made an inquiry about trading for Colin Kaepernick
  • are said to be likely interested in Brian Hoyer (this one is speculation, but seems plausible given the past interest)
  • made a trade offer of our 1st round draft pick and a pro bowl veteran and surely more, to move up to #1 to draft a QB
  • are still looking to trade up in round 1 to draft a QB -- including, I might add, one like Lynch who himself is thought to be raw or a project more than an instant-dividends prospect.

The idea that they would go through all that, if they truly thought Petty had a serious chance of being their starter, is frankly nuts.

As far as Wentz, I don't have an opinion of him one way or the other. I didn't watch him play all year and am nobody's draft guru. I'm going by how the prospects are being discussed, and when so many speak of a prospect as one who isn't ready to start, that's a question-mark because it means there is something significant he has to learn first, and there's the possibility he will not learn. And then you have to see if he's more clutch or choker even after he gets the game enough to start. I didn't invent the idea that Wentz needs upwards of a year on the bench. I stole it from others.

Basically, he's not looked upon as the same level of prospect (from the past ~30 years) as Palmer, Peyton, Eli, Vick, Luck, Bledsoe, Aikman, Elway, Vinny, Jeff George, and some - but not many - others on that ultra-special tier (obviously some ended up better than others). If you don't like the "merely decent" term, realize it was to compare him to other top-tier QB prospects, not to say he is on par with 2nd-3rd round prospects. 

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

@Joe Jets fan

The team has put in a year of time and effort after their draft pick and pre-draft analysis investment of Bryce Petty. The result of that is they:

• offered Fitzmeh about $10M so far
  • spoke of the great Geno Smith only as the "good" QB on the team without Fitzpatrick
  • called about trading for Mike Glennon
  • brought in RG3 for a visit
  • made an inquiry about trading for Colin Kaepernick
  • are said to be likely interested in Brian Hoyer (this one is speculation, but seems plausible given the past interest)
  • made a trade offer of our 1st round draft pick and a pro bowl veteran and surely more, to move up to #1 to draft a QB
  • are still looking to trade up in round 1 to draft a QB -- including, I might add, one like Lynch who himself is thought to be raw or a project more than an instant-dividends prospect.

The idea that they would go through all that, if they truly thought Petty had a serious chance of being their starter, is frankly nuts.

As far as Wentz, I don't have an opinion of him one way or the other. I didn't watch him play all year and am nobody's draft guru. I'm going by how the prospects are being discussed, and when so many speak of a prospect as one who isn't ready to start, that's a question-mark because it means there is something significant he has to learn first, and there's the possibility he will not learn. And then you have to see if he's more clutch or choker even after he gets the game enough to start. I didn't invent the idea that Wentz needs upwards of a year on the bench. I stole it from others.

Basically, he's not looked upon as the same level of prospect (from the past ~30 years) as Palmer, Peyton, Eli, Vick, Luck, Bledsoe, Aikman, Elway, Vinny, Jeff George, and some - but not many - others on that ultra-special tier (obviously some ended up better than others). If you don't like the "merely decent" term, realize it was to compare him to other top-tier QB prospects, not to say he is on par with 2nd-3rd round prospects. 

The Jets QB situation is like a soap opera or an edition of the National Enquirer. 

12 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Cole is a douche that will write anything to  try to get people to read his crap. 

Just sign Fitz and stop ******* around. None of the QBs this year are worth trading up that far. 

Apparently Mac thinks Goff is.

No one was going to beat the Rams stupid offer, though.

33 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

So, to date only Pauline and someone even more pathetic who is probably just parroting Pauline's sh*t have reported this.

Tony is an assclown, but he's usually right about these things.  

I'm not so sure the Jets are still trying to trade up, though.  The Rams are going to take the guy they wanted.  They aren't trading up to #2 for Wentz.  I do believe they'll take a QB in the first three rounds, though.  I'd guess Hackenberg.  

3 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Apparently Mac thinks Goff is.

No one was going to beat the Rams stupid offer, though.

The Rams are desperate to put a face to the new franchise so they didn't have much of a choice. Goff is the safest pick at QB. If they pick anyone else it makes no sense so the Jets moving up is pointless. 

Archived