Seven Years Ago Today

CrazyCarl40

We lost a game with Mark Sanchez at QB in which we ran for over 300 yards! Over 300 yards rushing, loll, (1st time ever that a team lost rushing for that many yards)...think about that. Mark threw 5 picks I believe. Can you imagine how many defenders had moved up into the box to try & slow down our rushing game? Every single time Shotty decided to play action (how could you blame him?) Mark would go to the wrong place & throw another interception. While I've always felt Shotty sucked as an OC, usually when the opposing team is running the ball down your throat, when they go play action it's wide open. How many times we as Jet fans have watched a sh*tty QB slice & dice us because we couldn't slow their running game?

I laugh just seeing Rex cringe everytime they ran play action he looked like he had his fingers crossed & then you'd see his pained expression as the defense just followed his eyes right to the ball. Stop making excuses for Mark Sanchez. He was immature, didn't take his craft serious enough, got a HUGE HEAD from his early success and NEVER LEARNED HOW TO LOOK OFF A DEFENDER. The biggest mistake the Jets ever made was Woody allowing Tannenbaum to reup before this guy proved he could cut down on the turnovers. One of the worst unnecessary contracts ever given out by this organization. This is where Woody failed us in approving that contract by Tanny. Most Jets fans were like....why? Stupid!

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

And who's fault was that? Tanny? Idzik? Either way, Sanchez's meteoric fall from grace was on his shoulders because you cannot maintain  the level of talent the Jets had on the team consistently. And yes, you are absolutely correct that Sanchez cannot elevate anyone else on the field. If you give him the talent? He'll be marginal at best just like his first two years in the league would indicate.

And with the Eagles he had ONE good game, then the defense caught up with his tendencies and he threw 3 interceptions his next outing.

you act like we had all time great talent, we had top 10 talent.  Nothing incredible, we were more talented last year and didn't make the playoffs.

w/Philly in 2014 he played well in almost all of their games, in his brief stint in 2015 he wasn't good.

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

We lost a game with Mark Sanchez at QB in which we ran for over 300 yards! Over 300 yards rushing, loll, (1st time ever that a team lost rushing for that many yards)...think about that. Mark threw 5 picks I believe. Can you imagine how many defenders had moved up into the box to try & slow down our rushing game? Every single time Shotty decided to play action (how could you blame him?) Mark would go to the wrong place & throw another interception. While I've always felt Shotty sucked as an OC, usually when the opposing team is running the ball down your throat, when they go play action it's wide open. How many times we as Jet fans have watched a sh*tty QB slice & dice us because we couldn't slow their running game?

I laugh just seeing Rex cringe everytime they ran play action he looked like he had his fingers crossed & then you'd see his pained expression as the defense just followed his eyes right to the ball. Stop making excuses for Mark Sanchez. He was immature, didn't take his craft serious enough, got a HUGE HEAD from his early success and NEVER LEARNED HOW TO LOOK OFF A DEFENDER. The biggest mistake the Jets ever made was Woody allowing Tannenbaum to reup before this guy proved he could cut down on the turnovers. One of the worst unnecessary contracts ever given out by this organization. This is where Woody failed us in approving that contract by Tanny. Most Jets fans were like....why? Stupid!

he was a rookie.

12 minutes ago, jett said:

I'll fight forever on Sanchez supporters. We made the championships in spite in him, yes he played good in the playoffs but in the regular season he was really bad. Sure after 2010 the team got worse but he was supposed to develop and be able to shoulder some of that and find a way to win. Franchise quarterbacks can perform well under any circumstance, so we knew right there he wasn't one. That's fine! He could have still been a good quarterback or even juts above average, but didn't show that either. He is what he is and will be, a decent backup with a ton of experience.  He will be in the league for the next 10 years, playing the backup role with the occasional start and maybe even if he finds a good team performs well and some dumb team will pay him a lot of money to be their starter (I'm looking at you McCown) maybe he starts with the Broncos and does well, I wouldn't be surprised. He needs an elite team to look like a starting caliber quarterback. Geno needs a team of 10 other hall of famers around him to look like he MIGHT belong in the nfl if the defense he was facing only had 3 men and a monkey on it. 

2010 we made the playoffs b/c of a ton of late game comebacks led by mark and the pass O.

he may have been along for the ride a little bit as a rookie but still played well overall despite a few awful, rookie like games.

Still don't condemn the Jets for doing this.  We needed a qb, We gave up very little to move up and for a short time it looked like it paid off.  Only issue is that we hung onto him a little too long.

This wasn't say as bad as the "Ghost".

13 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I was at this game. Literally could not believe my eyes at what I was seeing. Idc what anyone says no half way decent quarterback throws 5 picks In a Game. Forget the 300 yard rushing, that was just ridiculous 

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

2010 we made the playoffs b/c of a ton of late game comebacks led by mark and the pass O.

he may have been along for the ride a little bit as a rookie but still played well overall despite a few awful, rookie like games.

'10 I'll say this, yes he had great come from behind victories that year. And I still say to this day if the Jets get the ball back at the end of the steelers championship game, we win that game, however, a lot of times we were behind because of him. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I'm reminded of Thomas Jones who we all loved.  EVERY game he had at least one run for 50 plus yards that padded his stats

and those of the running game.   Not to mention that our over rated D came out flat in both championship games. MArk played fairly OK in both, or at a minimum, was not at fault like a Jim Kelly in the SB.

It wasn't Thomas Jones that had those big runs you speak of, it was Shonn Greene in the playoffs. Thomas Jones played only one season with Sanchez and was beat up by the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Colgateman said:

Say what you want about Sanchez, if we had a guy who could properly develop a quarterback he would still be here right now and we would of won a super bowl.

I disagree. I think Schottenheimer got a raw deal from Rex. I think Schotty saw what Sanchez was going to be and 'forced the issue' by effectively making Sanchez play like Brady and sling the ball all over the yard. Unfortunately Sanchez did not turn into Brady, but was more like Hoyer. Say what you will about the poor cast of WR's on the Jets at the time, look what Brady does with no name WR's. No sense looking back or playing the what if game, Sanchez blew his opportunity in NY.

4 minutes ago, jett said:

'10 I'll say this, yes he had great come from behind victories that year. And I still say to this day if the Jets get the ball back at the end of the steelers championship game, we win that game, however, a lot of times we were behind because of him. 

he was up and down no doubt about it, there were times we may have trailed b/c of him but throughout 2010 we struggled to run the ball after LTs hot start.  Give the QB some credit for overcoming that and remember Holmes did miss the first qtr of the season and Cotch missed time as well so he didn't always have his full compliment of weapons- weapons that were very good when healthy.  

I am not saying Mark was great or on his way to greatness but I have been a fan of this team a LONG time and while mark had some terrible moments I never felt like the stage was too big for him unlike Fitz week 17 who looked like a different QB than earlier.

3 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I disagree. I think Schottenheimer got a raw deal from Rex. I think Schotty saw what Sanchez was going to be and 'forced the issue' by effectively making Sanchez play like Brady and sling the ball all over the yard. Unfortunately Sanchez did not turn into Brady, but was more like Hoyer. Say what you will about the poor cast of WR's on the Jets at the time, look what Brady does with no name WR's. No sense looking back or playing the what if game, Sanchez blew his opportunity in NY.

Brady is quite possibly the greatest of all time, if anyone expected Mark to be like Brady they should't be around football.  I do agree Rex was at fault for forcing Brian out, Mark's career changed when Brian left.

6 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

It wasn't Thomas Jones that had those big runs you speak of, it was Shonn Greene in the playoffs. Thomas Jones played only one season with Sanchez and was beat up by the end of the season.

Jones had a ton of big runs throughout the 2008 reg season before he wore down late in the year.  Green had the 2 big runs in postseason.

1 hour ago, Colgateman said:

Say what you want about Sanchez, if we had a guy who could properly develop a quarterback he would still be here right now and we would of won a super bowl.

Mark was doing fine - two AFCCs. Then Tebow + Sparano happened, then Geno + Moronweg.

Then Geno + Vick + Moronweg. And finally, Geno + Fitz + Gailey. Fitz only made strides after Geno was removed from duty. Coincidence?

The mistake we must not repeat is another clueless QB competition that pisses away an entire offseason. It produces two half-baked QBs and one half-baked system.

A QB competition, if we must, should be limited to as few weeks as possible. Choose a QB and go full steam, full focus ... like good teams do. 

1 minute ago, jetrider said:

Mark was doing fine - two AFCCs. Then Tebow + Sparano happened, then Geno + Moronweg.

Then Geno + Vick + Moronweg. And finally, Geno + Fitz + Gailey. Fitz only made strides after Geno was removed from duty. Coincidence?

The mistake we must not repeat is another clueless QB competition that pisses away an entire offseason. It produces two half-baked QBs and one half-baked system.

A QB competition, if we must, should be limited to as few weeks as possible. Choose a QB and go full steam, full focus ... like good teams do. 

before Tebow/Sparano was the post lockout disaster of 2011 where 3 of the top 5 weapons entering 2011 were out of football in 2012.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

he was actually good in philly, he elevated that offense(ran it better than anyone under Chip) against the tougher portion of the schedule.  He is not and never will be a top QB, he is a QB teams can win with.  wish we had one of those.

We simply do not agree on his level of play, here or with Philadelphia. I'm not going to debate it with you for the 1000th time because you like to point to his individual stats when it suits your argument, and then point to team wins while ignoring his individual numbers when it suits another argument. And then there's that other thing: he's not a NJ Jet so that headband wearing buttfumbling choker can go f*** himself.

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We simply do not agree on his level of play, here or with Philadelphia. I'm not going to debate it with you for the 1000th time because you like to point to his individual stats when it suits your argument, and then point to team wins while ignoring his individual numbers when it suits another argument. And then there's that other thing: he's not a NJ Jet so that headband wearing buttfumbling choker can go f*** himself.

no one is a NJ Jet and we are allowed to disagree.  I disagree w/ the way you portray my arguments, the bottom line for me is we could win big with him.  That's all I cared about it, you don't win big w/ bad QBs consistently.  Maybe one run where everything breaks perfectly but 2 straight years w/ 4 road postseason games? not happening w/ bad QB play.

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I'm reminded of Thomas Jones who we all loved.  EVERY game he had at least one run for 50 plus yards that padded his stats

and those of the running game.   Not to mention that our over rated D came out flat in both championship games. MArk played fairly OK in both, or at a minimum, was not at fault like a Jim Kelly in the SB.

That's just not true.

Sanchez had an elite LT, the best RT, and the best C in the game on his offensive line.  He also had the top rushing attack and Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes.  Mark Sanchez only has Mark Sanchez to blame.  

And Mark Sanchez led the Jets to 0 points in the first half of the 2010 AFCCG.  The defense only gave up 17 points that game.  Sure, they didn't have the greatest start, but it's a four quarter game and at the end of the day, they only gave up 17 points, which is good.  But you tell me, how many teams have gone on to win a championship game after scoring 0 points in the first half?

In the 2012 NFCCG, the 49ers defense gave up 17 straight to the Falcons to open up the game.  But Kaepernick and Gore put some points up before the half which allowed the 49ers to turn that thing around.  Mark Sanchez couldn't put a ******* drive together, let alone put points on the board.

The guy sucks, plain and simple.  I remember people were saying that Chip Kelly would unleash the real Mark Sanchez.  Yeah, right.  Mark Sanchez is what he is: a career backup who will only be remembered for a butt fumble.

1 minute ago, detectivekimble said:

That's just not true.

Sanchez had an elite LT, the best RT, and the best C in the game on his offensive line.  He also had the top rushing attack and Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes.  Mark Sanchez only has Mark Sanchez to blame.  

And Mark Sanchez led the Jets to 0 points in the first half of the 2010 AFCCG.  The defense only gave up 17 points that game.  Sure, they didn't have the greatest start, but it's a four quarter game and at the end of the day, they only gave up 17 points, which is good.  But you tell me, how many teams have gone on to win a championship game after scoring 0 points in the first half?

In the 2012 NFCCG, the 49ers defense gave up 17 straight to the Falcons to open up the game.  But Kaepernick and Gore put some points up before the half which allowed the 49ers to turn that thing around.  Mark Sanchez couldn't put a ******* drive together, let alone put points on the board.

The guy sucks, plain and simple.  I remember people were saying that Chip Kelly would unleash the real Mark Sanchez.  Yeah, right.  Mark Sanchez is what he is: a career backup who will only be remembered for a butt fumble.

2009 we acquired Braylon after 4 games of our season and he did nothing but drop balls the rest of the way.  2010 Braylon was outstanding but Holmes missed the first 4 games and we won our biggest game outside of the 1968 season w/ WAYNE HUNTER as our RT.

we actually scored 3 points in the first half of the Pitt AFC Championship Game,  Seattle in 2014 scored ZERO in the 1st half and made the SB, didn't have to go back too far to find that.

SF also got stops late in the game, speaking of that playoff year.  If Bal's D doesn't give their O a shot late in the game by forcing Den to punt they don't beat Denver and don't go on to win the SB, our D could have allowed a first down but not two and we would have had a chance to win.  They couldn't do it.

Mark Sanchez under Chip Kelly in 2014(started 8 games, played 9, 5 of the games they played were against teams that advanced to AT LEAST the div rd of the playoffs):

27.1 PPG(including scoring 14 on Seattle, in Seattle's last 6 games they allowed a TOTAL of 39 pts, 14 came against Philly so the other 5 games they allowed a total of 25 pts)

2015 NYJ O w/ Fitz and all that talent against that weak sched:

24.5 PPG

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

2009 we acquired Braylon after 4 games of our season and he did nothing but drop balls the rest of the way.  2010 Braylon was outstanding but Holmes missed the first 4 games and we won our biggest game outside of the 1968 season w/ WAYNE HUNTER as our RT.

we actually scored 3 points in the first half of the Pitt AFC Championship Game,  Seattle in 2014 scored ZERO in the 1st half and made the SB, didn't have to go back too far to find that.

SF also got stops late in the game, speaking of that playoff year.  If Bal's D doesn't give their O a shot late in the game by forcing Den to punt they don't beat Denver and don't go on to win the SB, our D could have allowed a first down but not two and we would have had a chance to win.  They couldn't do it.

Mark Sanchez under Chip Kelly in 2014(started 8 games, played 9, 5 of the games they played were against teams that advanced to AT LEAST the div rd of the playoffs):

27.1 PPG(including scoring 14 on Seattle, in Seattle's last 6 games they allowed a TOTAL of 39 pts, 14 came against Philly so the other 5 games they allowed a total of 25 pts)

2015 NYJ O w/ Fitz and all that talent against that weak sched:

24.5 PPG

Mark Sanchez in 2014: 15 TDs, 15 TOs

Mark Sanchez in 2015: 0-4 and didn't put up 20 points in a single game.

Mark Sanchez stinks, even under Chip Kelly.

But you're right about that Seattle-Green Bay game.  I forgot about the Packers choke job.  One of the worst that I've ever seen.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

no one is a NJ Jet and we are allowed to disagree.  I disagree w/ the way you portray my arguments, the bottom line for me is we could win big with him.  That's all I cared about it, you don't win big w/ bad QBs consistently.  Maybe one run where everything breaks perfectly but 2 straight years w/ 4 road postseason games? not happening w/ bad QB play.

LOL that was a typo.

Disagree with what you wrote here anyway. Sometimes things break just right, and it can and did 2 seasons in a row. He made so many bad throws in those postseason games - including ones we won - that what caused us to win was the D not completely melting down and giving up well over 30 (never mind over 40) points. He was a poor fit for a team that needed an experienced game manager more than a mindless x-factor who could make a great throw, but then do nothing right for a couple quarters in a row, while he sulked on the sideline in between possessions. We'll never know how much better our defense was, when he kept putting them back onto the field so quickly. 

I had my fill of "awww it was just the sucky Jets' fawwt he didn't go to pwoh bohwws." Remember how much ESPN licked his sack after they won the game after he came in relief? If Fitzpatrick could complete half his passes & Houston wasn't giving him the ball back, the game would have been over after Sanchez's 2nd pick. Hell, one of the key possessions of the game - a 70 yard drive - all he did was hand the ball off on 4 carries. Yeah then what? A meh game a week later (his stats look FAR better than he played that Monday night game where they were blowing him so much, and his 2nd TD came in the 4th quarter with a 31 point lead). A week later against Green Bay he looked like he belonged out of the NFL, standing still in the pocket as usual until he got clocked. But again he padded his stats after the game was over to make it look like he had an ok game after all. Finally threw a TD when they were down 39-6, then a second one when they were down 53-13, with him committing a fumble-6 in between them, of course.

You make it sound like all he was doing was throwing TDs and completing passes in clutch situations, and if not for the Eagles defense they'd have been great. That is FAR from the truth, which is why Kelly didn't want any part of him as the team's starter just one year later. He was garbage in the 3 games he was used last year as well. Then 3 months after the season ended, with a cheap Sanchez already on the roster, they couldn't have made it more obvious they'd try ANYTHING but go with Sanchez. They didn't even want him on the roster. All those millions to Sammeh Bradford, then still millions more to Chase Daniels, then all the picks given up to move up for Wentz. They know what he is and what he isn't. 

Screw him. He hasn't been in a real game as a Jet since 2012 and those were poor memories at that. He sucked and I don't miss him being here. Worth a shot in that draft, but it didn't work out, and then let's move on.

Just now, detectivekimble said:

Mark Sanchez in 2014: 15 TDs, 15 TOs

Mark Sanchez in 2015: 0-4 and didn't put up 20 points in a single game.

Mark Sanchez stinks.

But you're right about that Seattle-Green Bay game.  I forgot about the Packers choke job.  One of the worst that I've ever seen.

actually 15 and 15, if you count fumbles and INts you need to count rush TDs too but regardless of that he led the O to almost a TD more per game than Foles did against the much tougher portion of their sched and over 27 PPG.  I don't care what the individual #s were.

In 2015 he stunk in his brief 2 game run but that team was a complete mess and it was only 2 games.

Packers choke job? one of the worst you have ever seen? on the road at Lambeau where very few visitors win against a team that nearly made the SB was trailing 3-0 before he stepped on the field. 1st possession led Philly to GB 40 but was sacked and they had to punt, then it's 10-0 despite GB starting at their 12 yd line. 2nd possession they run twice setting up 3rd and long and then has no time to throw as he is sacked.  the ensuing punt is returned for a TD, 17-0 GB.  leads Philly to FG to cut it to 17-3, GB then goes on 80 yd TD drive in just over 2 mins for 24-3 lead.  Clearly all mark's fault.  what a choke job.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

LOL that was a typo.

Disagree with what you wrote here anyway. Sometimes things break just right, and it can and did 2 seasons in a row. He made so many bad throws in those postseason games - including ones we won - that what caused us to win was the D not completely melting down and giving up well over 30 (never mind over 40) points. He was a poor fit for a team that needed an experienced game manager more than a mindless x-factor who could make a great throw, but then do nothing right for a couple quarters in a row, while he sulked on the sideline in between possessions. We'll never know how much better our defense was, when he kept putting them back onto the field so quickly. 

I had my fill of "awww it was just the sucky Jets' fawwt he didn't go to pwoh bohwws." Remember how much ESPN licked his sack after they won the game after he came in relief? If Fitzpatrick could complete half his passes & Houston wasn't giving him the ball back, the game would have been over after Sanchez's 2nd pick. Hell, one of the key possessions of the game - a 70 yard drive - all he did was hand the ball off on 4 carries. Yeah then what? A meh game a week later (his stats look FAR better than he played that Monday night game where they were blowing him so much, and his 2nd TD came in the 4th quarter with a 31 point lead). A week later against Green Bay he looked like he belonged out of the NFL, standing still in the pocket as usual until he got clocked. But again he padded his stats after the game was over to make it look like he had an ok game after all. Finally threw a TD when they were down 39-6, then a second one when they were down 53-13, with him committing a fumble-6 in between them, of course.

You make it sound like all he was doing was throwing TDs and completing passes in clutch situations, and if not for the Eagles defense they'd have been great. That is FAR from the truth, which is why Kelly didn't want any part of him as the team's starter just one year later. He was garbage in the 3 games he was used last year as well. Then 3 months after the season ended, with a cheap Sanchez already on the roster, they couldn't have made it more obvious they'd try ANYTHING but go with Sanchez. They didn't even want him on the roster. All those millions to Sammeh Bradford, then still millions more to Chase Daniels, then all the picks given up to move up for Wentz. They know what he is and what he isn't. 

Screw him. He hasn't been in a real game as a Jet since 2012 and those were poor memories at that. He sucked and I don't miss him being here. Worth a shot in that draft, but it didn't work out, and then let's move on.

every QB makes bad throws here and there, he also made a ton of great throws in postseason.

we had a similar team in 2008 w/ a HOFer at QB, no Brady and the weakest sched we probably ever have had and we couldn't even make the playoffs so I don't think it's fair to say he was a poor fit.  he was a great fit actually, we didn't need the QB to win games in his rookie season and he learned and grew and played outstanding in the playoffs.  In year 2 we needed a better QB and he stepped up, he was really good in 2010 and we don't make that run w.o him.

I don't make it sound like anything, that is what you and others take out of my posts.  I simply counter the "Mark was awful" crowd.  I am under no delusions about him, he was not THE reason we won, the D was THE reason but he was also vital to both runs.  he made big plays for us, he also had many down moments and was very up and down in the reg season.  If we got postseason mark in the reg season he'd still be here, he was inconsistent but he was also still developing and we screwed up his weapons following 2010 getting rid of his 2 favorite receivers and then in 2012 we gave him the worst weapons in the league by far and threw in tebow and Sparano for fun.

I'd rather move forward and not talk about him but when he is brought up I will defend what I believe is right.  

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

we were #1 rushing in 2009 mainly b/c of a few incredible games against awful opponents(Buffalo twice and Oakland).  The OL was very good, the D was very good but also very overrated- how many games did they blow those first 2 years?

You know what my favorite thing about this argument is? It's that the Jets are the only team to pad their rushing stats against bad teams.  No other teams played lesser opponents all year and benefited statistically, not one.

Just now, gEYno said:

You know what my favorite thing about this argument is? It's that the Jets are the only team to pad their rushing stats against bad teams.  No other teams played lesser opponents all year and benefited statistically, not one.

in the way we did?  I don't know.  I always use the first game example, Jones did nothing all game then late in the game ripped off two 35+ yd runs and his #s looked great but it was all garbage time.  Our rush O was really good in 2009(until Jones wore out) then mediocre in 2010.  

5 hours ago, JiF said:

Ugh.  The day we drafted literally the only player in the entire draft I wanted absolutely nothing to do with.

Because you know, "I'm just chillin in southern cal, working on my tan.  Sun's out, gun's out".

PUKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Change this to Florida and it's you

19 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

every QB makes bad throws here and there, he also made a ton of great throws in postseason.

we had a similar team in 2008 w/ a HOFer at QB, no Brady and the weakest sched we probably ever have had and we couldn't even make the playoffs so I don't think it's fair to say he was a poor fit.  he was a great fit actually, we didn't need the QB to win games in his rookie season and he learned and grew and played outstanding in the playoffs.  In year 2 we needed a better QB and he stepped up, he was really good in 2010 and we don't make that run w.o him.

I don't make it sound like anything, that is what you and others take out of my posts.  I simply counter the "Mark was awful" crowd.  I am under no delusions about him, he was not THE reason we won, the D was THE reason but he was also vital to both runs.  he made big plays for us, he also had many down moments and was very up and down in the reg season.  If we got postseason mark in the reg season he'd still be here, he was inconsistent but he was also still developing and we screwed up his weapons following 2010 getting rid of his 2 favorite receivers and then in 2012 we gave him the worst weapons in the league by far and threw in tebow and Sparano for fun.

I'd rather move forward and not talk about him but when he is brought up I will defend what I believe is right.  

No, he didn't make a "ton of great throws in postseason" at all. This is just ridiculous. As is the idea that he was "really good in 2010" which is patently absurd. What he was, in 2010, was the beneficiary of teams dropping almost 20 passes he threw right at them (on top of the 13 they didn't drop). We lost 4 games when the defense gave up 10 points or less. He threw picks in 8 consecutive games, and the one that broke that streak he was garbage.

Excuses excuses excuses for Sanchez. I don't talk about him much myself anymore, but you believe a lot of wrong things are right. He was not a good QB. He had some good games - or more to the point, some good throws - nothing more. He was famous for not having any good games from start to finish. A lot of good half-games, which was good enough with a top defense & surrounding cast. But in the end, not good enough. That's why the Eagles eradicated him from their roster in a year where they're willing to try everything/anything to find a QB.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

in the way we did?  I don't know.  I always use the first game example, Jones did nothing all game then late in the game ripped off two 35+ yd runs and his #s looked great but it was all garbage time.  Our rush O was really good in 2009(until Jones wore out) then mediocre in 2010.  

Exactly.  You don't have a clue.  You're just discounting the Jets accomplishments to make your point.  Your example is further proof of this...  Jones is now the only RB who gets garbage time stats?  Come on... That's utter nonsense.  In 2010, the rushing game was not as good in 2009, but it was still one of the best in the league.  And unless you're going to break down every play, in every game, you can't take away from the Jets while not taking away from other teams who also likely benefited from weaker opponents at times and garbage time plays.

Further, for someone who claims such superior knowledge, and in-depth understanding of the game, something us mere mortals do not have, at least not in comparison to you... You should at least appreciate the offense's significant contribution to the defense blowing games late.  The single best way to win an NFL football game is in the victory formation once the offense has run out the clock.  The Jets offense, during the Sanchez era, was completely incapable of closing out games on the field, and regularly had to win with the defense on the field.  A tall order, even for the best defenses.  Many of the games "blown" the defense actually got a stop 2 or 3 times, but couldn't a 3rd or 4th time.  So, while our defense did fold at times, the best defense in late games is 1st downs, and we were dreadful at those.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

No, he didn't make a "ton of great throws in postseason" at all. This is just ridiculous. As is the idea that he was "really good in 2010" which is patently absurd. What he was, in 2010, was the beneficiary of teams dropping almost 20 passes he threw right at them (on top of the 13 they didn't drop). We lost 4 games when the defense gave up 10 points or less. He threw picks in 8 consecutive games, and the one that broke that streak he was garbage.

Excuses excuses excuses for Sanchez. I don't talk about him much myself anymore, but you believe a lot of wrong things are right. He was not a good QB. He had some good games - or more to the point, some good throws - nothing more. He was famous for not having any good games from start to finish. A lot of good half-games, which was good enough with a top defense & surrounding cast. But in the end, not good enough. That's why the Eagles eradicated him from their roster in a year where they're willing to try everything/anything to find a QB.

he absolutely did, he was outstanding in both postseasons.

he was top 10 good in 2010.

stop w/ the dropping passes nonsense, I remember when that came out and they were counting guys diving for almost impossible catches.  That stat was such nonsense especially w/ all the drops his receivers had and if you mention dropped INts then mention to the 2 bogus INts vs. GB.

there's no excuses, he nearly helped us reach 2 SBs, if our D was as good as people pretend it was we make both.

The Eagles brought in a new staff, if Kelly was in Philly Mark would still be there and is there a better GM in the league right now than Elway? last I checked he traded for him.

6 hours ago, Colgateman said:

Boom.

And there's the truth (for those who can't handle it).

SAR I

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

That's just not true.

Im done here...  I do not want to defend mark. Much of your statement is clear fact. My point, if I may Detective, is mark was never developed and many QB's would never even have done what he did and yes, he sucks, especially between the ears.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Exactly.  You don't have a clue.  You're just discounting the Jets accomplishments to make your point.  Your example is further proof of this...  Jones is now the only RB who gets garbage time stats?  Come on... That's utter nonsense.  In 2010, the rushing game was not as good in 2009, but it was still one of the best in the league.  And unless you're going to break down every play, in every game, you can't take away from the Jets while not taking away from other teams who also likely benefited from weaker opponents at times and garbage time plays.

Further, for someone who claims such superior knowledge, and in-depth understanding of the game, something us mere mortals do not have, at least not in comparison to you... You should at least appreciate the offense's significant contribution to the defense blowing games late.  The single best way to win an NFL football game is in the victory formation once the offense has run out the clock.  The Jets offense, during the Sanchez era, was completely incapable of closing out games on the field, and regularly had to win with the defense on the field.  A tall order, even for the best defenses.  Many of the games "blown" the defense actually got a stop 2 or 3 times, but couldn't a 3rd or 4th time.  So, while our defense did fold at times, the best defense in late games is 1st downs, and we were dreadful at those.

I am not discounting anything, I am speaking realistically but if fans don't have rankings w/ out of context stats then they don't believe it.  I can't help you there.

In the 2010 the compiled #s were still good but the YPC was not great.  LT was great the first 4-5 games, he was terrible the rest of the way.  

you would think a supposed elite D could close out a bad Texan team leading 23-7 in the 4th qtr, you would think a supposed elite D could prevent rookie Colt McCoy from leading a last minute TD drive to sent the game to OT, you would think after leading a late TD the supposed elite D could stop the mighty Jags from scoring and winning the game but I guess it was all the O's fault.

Let's look at those blown late leads, shall we?

2009 at Miami: against the legendary Chad Henne, mark and the O put up 27 pts on the road including an 80 yd TD drive that ended w/ 5 mins left and the jets up 3.  Could the D at least hold the great henne to 3 and get the game to OT? Nope, they allow a 70 yd TD drive and Miami to mil the clock and win the game.  clearly the fault of the O.

2009 vs. Jax: mark leads 77 yd TD drive that again ends w/ 5 mins left and this time a 1 pt lead.  D allows jax to take all the time off the clock and kick a 21 yd FG for the win at the gun.  Clearly the O's fault.

2009 vs. Atl: very cold, windy day which inhibited both offenses.  we led 7-3 after we missed(had blocked) a 2nd would be FG or the game would have been out of reach so the elite D against a dead Falcon team just eneds to keep Atl out of EZ.  Atl starts at their 27 and goes right down the field and scores.  O/STs definitely contributed here but no excuses on this day, the D blew another one.

2010 at Miami: despite Braylon being suspended for 1st qtr mark leads 2 TD drives in 1st.  D nearly blows another lead, Miami pulls w/in 1 late but mark leads 80 yd TD drive to put us up 8.  of course D allowed Miami to get to our 5 yd line but we finally hold.

2010 at Denver: After Mark and the O tied the game at 17 w/ just over 8 mins left the D gave it right back allowing Den to take 20-17 lead.  Mark then led a GW TD drive and I know you'll bring up the penalty but let's not forget that mark bought time, gave Holmes a chance to catch it and he had both hands on the ball so if his facemask wasn't being pulled he likely catches it.

2010 at Cleveland: Jets O led in TOp 47 mins to 27 mins against mighty Colt McCoy led Browns O.  despite 2 missed FGs in regulation(including one under 30 yds) Mark led 8 min drive that ended w/ FG to put us up 7 w/ under 3 mins to play but that was too much time for our elite D who clearly were gassed from watching the game on the sideline.  Needless to say Mcoy led tying TD drive and we went to OT.

2010 vs. Houston: led the mighty Texans 23-7 in the 4th then trailed 27-23 w/ :49 secs at our 28 w/ no TOs needing a TD.  Mark led us to that TD and we won.

please show me all these examples of late game offensive failures that led to these blown leads?

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Im done here...  I do not want to defend mark. Much of your statement is clear fact. My point, if I may Detective, is mark was never developed and many QB's would never even have done what he did and yes, he sucks, especially between the ears.

there are actually no facts in his post minus possibly the best C in the game.

19 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I am not discounting anything, I am speaking realistically but if fans don't have rankings w/ out of context stats then they don't believe it.  I can't help you there.

In the 2010 the compiled #s were still good but the YPC was not great.  LT was great the first 4-5 games, he was terrible the rest of the way.  

you would think a supposed elite D could close out a bad Texan team leading 23-7 in the 4th qtr, you would think a supposed elite D could prevent rookie Colt McCoy from leading a last minute TD drive to sent the game to OT, you would think after leading a late TD the supposed elite D could stop the mighty Jags from scoring and winning the game but I guess it was all the O's fault.

Let's look at those blown late leads, shall we?

2009 at Miami: against the legendary Chad Henne, mark and the O put up 27 pts on the road including an 80 yd TD drive that ended w/ 5 mins left and the jets up 3.  Could the D at least hold the great henne to 3 and get the game to OT? Nope, they allow a 70 yd TD drive and Miami to mil the clock and win the game.  clearly the fault of the O.

2009 vs. Jax: mark leads 77 yd TD drive that again ends w/ 5 mins left and this time a 1 pt lead.  D allows jax to take all the time off the clock and kick a 21 yd FG for the win at the gun.  Clearly the O's fault.

2009 vs. Atl: very cold, windy day which inhibited both offenses.  we led 7-3 after we missed(had blocked) a 2nd would be FG or the game would have been out of reach so the elite D against a dead Falcon team just eneds to keep Atl out of EZ.  Atl starts at their 27 and goes right down the field and scores.  O/STs definitely contributed here but no excuses on this day, the D blew another one.

2010 at Miami: despite Braylon being suspended for 1st qtr mark leads 2 TD drives in 1st.  D nearly blows another lead, Miami pulls w/in 1 late but mark leads 80 yd TD drive to put us up 8.  of course D allowed Miami to get to our 5 yd line but we finally hold.

2010 at Denver: After Mark and the O tied the game at 17 w/ just over 8 mins left the D gave it right back allowing Den to take 20-17 lead.  Mark then led a GW TD drive and I know you'll bring up the penalty but let's not forget that mark bought time, gave Holmes a chance to catch it and he had both hands on the ball so if his facemask wasn't being pulled he likely catches it.

2010 at Cleveland: Jets O led in TOp 47 mins to 27 mins against mighty Colt McCoy led Browns O.  despite 2 missed FGs in regulation(including one under 30 yds) Mark led 8 min drive that ended w/ FG to put us up 7 w/ under 3 mins to play but that was too much time for our elite D who clearly were gassed from watching the game on the sideline.  Needless to say Mcoy led tying TD drive and we went to OT.

2010 vs. Houston: led the mighty Texans 23-7 in the 4th then trailed 27-23 w/ :49 secs at our 28 w/ no TOs needing a TD.  Mark led us to that TD and we won.

please show me all these examples of late game offensive failures that led to these blown leads?

So, you totally didn't get the point of the first paragraph.  You keep talking about stats without context to defend your biases.  However, you are comparing context to the Jets, without doing the same for other teams.  So, your arguments are exactly nothing, because you're comparing the way in which you've discredited the Jets to other teams without applying the same analysis.  

As for the games, one of those isn't a loss.  So, that one's out.  The others, you've listed 6 games in 32, which is 18% "blown" in two seasons.  How does that compare?  Oh, you didn't do that analysis either?  Hmm... Diving into the games a bit deeper, multiple games were not late game leads blown.  They were over the course of the game.  Something that happens when teams don't score.  You're argument is basically that if the Jets ever have a lead in a game, they should win.  Cleveland for example, the defense allowed 7 points in the entire second half.  That should be good enough to win any close game.  When your offense sucks, it isn't.  Same deal for the Falcons game.

Archived