Bart Scott on Boomer and Carton this morning

BowlesMovement

Anyone listen to the interview? It was interesting, most of it was around Meyers, but there was an interesting tidbit about Rex from Bart. He said that when he was the DC in Baltimore, he always knew the defensive players contracts and bonus incentives, and he would always do everything he could to get the player that bonus. He mentioned calling all out blitzes all games for guys, switching positions, etc.

Have to assume this really pissed off Baltimore, and was a big reason he was passed over for HC there. Just found it interesting, and also explains a lot why players love him, other than him acting more like a fraternity brother than a HC.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Anyone listen to the interview? It was interesting, most of it was around Meyers, but there was an interesting tidbit about Rex from Bart. He said that when he was the DC in Baltimore, he always knew the defensive players contracts and bonus incentives, and he would always do everything he could to get the player that bonus. He mentioned calling all out blitzes all games for guys, switching positions, etc.

Have to assume this really pissed off Baltimore, and was a big reason he was passed over for HC there. Just found it interesting, and also explains a lot why players love him, other than him acting more like a fraternity brother than a HC.

I think that is a stretch honestly.  I don't think anyone should have any issue with giving an employee every opportunity to hit their bonuses.  IMO Baltimore passed up on him because they didn't want a blustering buffoon representing their team at the highest coaching level.  

EDIT: I could see it being an issue if you know, Baltimore didn't have a top 10 defense with Rex.  Obviously it was working, players play at 200% probably when they know more money is on the line.

14 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

wow, talk about a coach focusing on the wrong goals and outcomes... good grief

15 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I think that is a stretch honestly.  I don't think anyone should have any issue with giving an employee every opportunity to hit their bonuses.  IMO Baltimore passed up on him because they didn't want a blustering buffoon representing their team at the highest coaching level.  

EDIT: I could see it being an issue if you know, Baltimore didn't have a top 10 defense with Rex.  Obviously it was working, players play at 200% probably when they know more money is on the line.

It's awful.  You do what's best to help your team win the game.  Personal goals should have NO place whatsoever in a DC's thought process.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's awful.  You do what's best to help your team win the game.  Personal goals should have NO place whatsoever in a DC's thought process.

But are you arguing he didn't put the players in the best position to be successful?  I mean his defenses were really good with Baltimore.  The rotating and standing up of players and not knowing or being able to predict who blitzes is the foundation of Rex's defense.  I just personally think this is a stretch to equate this to the reason Baltimore didn't hire him as HC.  I'm pretty sure it had 90% to do with his personality and lack of experience on the offensive side of the ball.

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

"Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because of anyone had said anything to me when I first started here..." - Rex

"If I had known that kind of thing was frowned upon...."

7 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

But are you arguing he didn't put the players in the best position to be successful?  I mean his defenses were really good with Baltimore.  The rotating and standing up of players and not knowing or being able to predict who blitzes is the foundation of Rex's defense.  I just personally think this is a stretch to equate this to the reason Baltimore didn't hire him as HC.  I'm pretty sure it had 90% to do with his personality and lack of experience on the offensive side of the ball.

Hmm Maybe that's why the Giants let Vince Lombardi go to Green bay.. He didn't know Defence..LOL

2 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

If Mangini and Rex had a baby, it would be the ugliest mofo of all time, but a pretty damn good coach if it got the right DNA of each of them.

I will especially enjoy the part of the megababy's childhood when blaming Brian Schottenheimer for all its lack of grade school success is now twice as strong.

The idea that Mangini is better than Rex makes absolutely no sense.   

Rex took the Jets to two consecutive AFC Championship games, come on now.  Rex had many many flaws and should have been controlled and not deferred to IMO but he was an ok HC when he had strong assistants and veteran leadership. 

So at the end of the day Rex' ceiling was and is much higher than Mangini but so is his floor much lower as well.  

12 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

He was still a better HC than Bozo the Clown.

So maybe he makes the HOF without ever winning a playoff game?? But they could have a bust of him sneaking behind BB's ratting him out..

12 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

28 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I agree with the bolded....I just think it's entirely unprofessional to make game time decisions based upon anything other than winning games.  If you're making a concerted effort to highlight a specific player then you can't be doing your job properly.

I think Baltimore didn't hire him because they knew he was a bafoon.  And they didn't want their organization to be a joke.

Rex took the Jets to two consecutive AFC Championship games, come on now.  

Yea, with teams Mangini built.

BTW CB, Rex lost both those games with a team totally unprepared to play.

Rex and Tanny was just a bad combination.  Maybe, just maybe with the right type of Front Office and a clear structure Rex could be more successful but him and Tanny were just too much alike and there was no adult in the room to ever say no.  They both were more interested in headlines and being too well liked to be leaders.  That's why Rex excelled as a D-Coordinator but has been just an average head coach he had a head coach in Baltimore who was looking at the big picture of what's best for the team instead of what's best for Rex's ego.  

1 hour ago, BowlesMovement said:

I think Baltimore passed on him because he's a terrible coach, but that's just me.

Just now, PatsFanTX said:

I agree. I am not a Rex apologist but Mangini has yet to even reach that level of possibility.

Yes Rex  lost the big game twice but Mangini was never even in the big game or even in the victory parade for a playoff win. 

Was Mangini awful? No..

But as a HC Rex was a better than the Mangenius.

6 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

The team that Mangini built and couldn't win with even in a year when Brady was out and the QB he cut for Favre won the east taking a 1-15 team to 11-5?? As usual Tex your making perfect sense..:rolleyes: 

I agree. I am not a Rex apologist but Mangini has yet to even reach that level of possibility.

Yes Rex  lost the big game twice but Mangini was never even in the big game or even in the victory parade for a playoff win. 

Was Mangini awful? No..

But as a HC Rex was a better than the Mangenius.

Mangini was fired after going 9-7.

Rex was fired after going 4-12.

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

Mangini was fired after going 9-7.

Rex was fired after going 4-12.

And the 49'ers fired George Seifert after going 12-4 winning 2 bowls and never having a record worse then 10-6.. I guess him and Mangini are on the same level IYO..:)

44 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Rex took the Jets to two consecutive AFC Championship games, come on now.  Rex had many many flaws and should have been controlled and not deferred to IMO but he was an ok HC when he had strong assistants and veteran leadership. 

So at the end of the day Rex' ceiling was and is much higher than Mangini but so is his floor much lower as well.  

Ultimately, who cares ... they both contributed to the past decade of futility. What benefit is there to splitting hairs over who failed harder. They both ate a dick.

The Jets are so overdue to hit on a QB and a first-time HC. Law of averages and sh*t.

Archived