Poll: Fitz vs Geno

Mike135

Fitz or Geno?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. 2016 Starter?

• Fitz @8mil+ (most likely 10mil+ and multiple years)
    • Geno
    • Fitz @7mil and not a penny more! Otherwise Geno. (Added for LIJetsFan.)

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I hear that and you guys might be right but the Jets seem willing to pay him more than that, significantly more and some out here are still bellyaching that Fitz is somehow being shortchanged.

That was my point   

Gotcha, just wanted to point out the current state of the poll.  Most actually feel he's not worth paying over 7mil for.  Could be true the Jets are willing to pay more.  Find out soon (hopefully).

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Somehow the Jets are supposed to pay Fitz $6-$8 Millin Dollars "cause that is what some starting QBs earn" .

It is utter madness and you wouldn't run a hotdog stand that way least of all a professional football team.  

Can't agree here, though I've never run a hotdog stand.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm not going with make up stories with no cred. Even if it supports my side of the argument. This could go on for a few more months you know. I hope we all get tired of it. If Ryan knew the controversy he's caused with the fans he'd probably just laugh about it. 

So you got nothing........

15 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

You're probably right.  Just as I suppose he laughed about week 17 and then decided to hold the team hostage for an insane ransom this offseason.

Wonder how much he's laughing now that the market has shown his worth.

I think he would tell us including me (and I'm on his side) to get a life☺️. I don't know the guy but I doubt he was thrilled with his performance on week 17. But if you guys want to blame it all on him (easier than analyzing why they lost) go right ahead. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I think he would tell us including me (and I'm on his side) to get a life☺️. I don't know the guy but I doubt he was thrilled with his performance on week 17. But if you guys want to blame it all on him (easier than analyzing why they lost) go right ahead. 

3 INTs in a row he single handily turned the ball over 3 times in a row, if he isn't to blame then who is. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think he would tell us including me (and I'm on his side) to get a life☺️.

And he might be right to say that.  Though it'd be dumb for him to say.  If all NFL fans got enough of a life not to care about their starting QB situation...  Players' salaries would drop drastically pretty darn quickly.

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

He was playing injured all season and yes, probably age is setting in a little. He was still by far and away worth the money spent. It's dumb for Jets fans to constantly piss and moan about his contract. The signing not only made the jets a MUCH better team, it also simultaneously substantially weakened the Patsies. It was a twofold win for the Jets. Anyone saying anything otherwise is just a dingbat. Would they rather see Revis playing for the Patsies and watch them win SB after SB? The Patsies have NEVER won sh*t unless they had a shutdown corner on their team. They do NOT have one right now and it's virtually guaranteed they will never win another SB until they can find another shutdown corner because Revis is a Jet.

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

3 INTs in a row he single handily turned the ball over 3 times in a row, if he isn't to blame then who is. 

Come on joewilly, you are a good fan. The first interception was a bad one, it was enough to kill him on, even though both he and Gailey have said it was a timing play that they went to one too many times, and the ball was released before the WR or the CB broke for the ball. I am fine with people killing him for it, it cannot happen, although I put as much blame on Gailey as I do Fitz in that spot, if what they both say are true. The 2nd interception he was crushed by a missed block by the oline, and the 3rd one was in prayer time, right after the would be winning TD was dropped. You harp on the 3 Int's too much, there is plenty to criticize him for, be a better fan than this.....

He was playing injured all season and yes, probably age is setting in a little. He was still by far and away worth the money spent. It's dumb for Jets fans to constantly piss and moan about his contract. The signing not only made the jets a MUCH better team, it also simultaneously substantially weakened the Patsies. It was a twofold win for the Jets. Anyone saying anything otherwise is just a dingbat. Would they rather see Revis playing for the Patsies and watch them win SB after SB? The Patsies have NEVER won sh*t unless they had a shutdown corner on their team. They do NOT have one right now and it's virtually guaranteed they will never win another SB until they can find another shutdown corner because Revis is a Jet.

You do realize Butler had a much better season than Revis last year and he only cost the Pats $400K versus Revis $17MM.

Butler was a Pro Bowl CB last year who handled Watson and Hopkins pretty easily, something your $17MM boy could not do.

The Jets payed Revis like the player he was in '09 and '10. His performance today is nowhere near the ridiculous amount of money that the Jets are currently paying him.

SOJ's.

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

If Geno gets cut he will be grabbed in a minute. I think he even has some trade value at that salary. And then he would go into the Mark Sanchez phase of his career. As a backup with starting experience. But I don't think Mac will cut him unless they decide that Petty or Hack is ready to play. 

The main reason Geno would not be cut is the hope that as a FA next yr. he might be signed to a 2 yr. $12m deal.

Maybe that gets you a 6th/7th rd. comp pick in 2018 or better if he plays reasonably well this yr.

9 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Come on joewilly, you are a good fan. The first interception was a bad one, it was enough to kill him on, even though both he and Gailey have said it was a timing play that they went to one too many times, and the ball was released before the WR or the CB broke for the ball. I am fine with people killing him for it, it cannot happen, although I put as much blame on Gailey as I do Fitz in that spot, if what they both say are true. The 2nd interception he was crushed by a missed block by the oline, and the 3rd one was in prayer time, right after the would be winning TD was dropped. You harp on the 3 Int's too much, there is plenty to criticize him for, be a better fan than this.....

Im sticking with it the Geno haters did it when Geno threw INTs and none in a more crucial game than the one Fitzpatrick sh*t the bed in.

6 teams in 11 years no coincidence. 

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

The main reason Geno would not be cut is the hope that as a FA next yr. he might be signed to a 2 yr. $12m deal.

Maybe that gets you a 6th/7th rd. comp pick in 2018 or better if he plays reasonably well this yr.

Could be true.  However (and I'm sure this isn't popular here at all), if Geno shows enough in camp and early in the season to be at least a good backup (Fitz level), we should try to extend him for as cheap as possible during the season.  

Worst case?  We'd have a solid backup moving forward.  

Best case?  Remains to be seen.

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Or he turns out the be the franchise QB this organization desperately needs. 

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Could be true.  However (and I'm sure this isn't popular here at all), if Geno shows enough in camp and early in the season to be at least a good backup (Fitz level), we should try to extend him for as cheap as possible during the season.  

Worst case?  We'd have a solid backup moving forward.  

Best case?  Remains to be seen.

Extend Geno? What makes you think he wants to be a Jet anymore? If I was him I'd try to go to a team that's going to at least give me a chance to compete. That's not in NY. Not only did they bring in Fitz last year, they also drafted two QBs in successive years just two years since they drafted Geno. That cannot be confidence inspiring. 

Also, Geno is a bottom of the barrel starter. That's his best case. We have seen it. There have been no signals in his play that have shown growth or better decision making. His inaccurate passes will never be cured (which we'll come to find with Hack soon too) and that's not something you can overcome as a team or a player. 

18 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Or he turns out the be the franchise QB this organization desperately needs. 

Or the Beatles get back together and begin a 50 nation world tour.

Let's be reasonable with our Geno projections.... 

Don't turn the ball over, play smart and hit the long bomb occasionally to keep "D's" honest.

Let Forte, Robinson and Powell do the heavy lifting along with the D

17 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Im sticking with it the Geno haters did it when Geno threw INTs and none in a more crucial game than the one Fitzpatrick sh*t the bed in.

6 teams in 11 years no coincidence. 

We all are Jets fans, we should not classify ourselves as Geno haters, or Fitz haters, or Geno lovers or Fitz lovers, we all want what is best for the team. Doing what you perceive "geno haters" to do is no better than them doing it, be above it brother.

2 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

We all are Jets fans, we should not classify ourselves as Geno haters, or Fitz haters, or Geno lovers or Fitz lovers, we all want what is best for the team. Doing what you perceive "geno haters" to do is no better than them doing it, be above it brother.

We should all root for any player in a Jets uniform. 

25 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Extend Geno? What makes you think he wants to be a Jet anymore? If I was him I'd try to go to a team that's going to at least give me a chance to compete. That's not in NY. Not only did they bring in Fitz last year, they also drafted two QBs in successive years just two years since they drafted Geno. That cannot be confidence inspiring. 

Also, Geno is a bottom of the barrel starter. That's his best case. We have seen it. There have been no signals in his play that have shown growth or better decision making. His inaccurate passes will never be cured (which we'll come to find with Hack soon too) and that's not something you can overcome as a team or a player. 

No doubt if I'm Geno, I'm looking beyond NY now.  First two years was given a crap situation and then I messed up year 3, but then only made worse by Fitz.  

However if he's given the shot this season, and succeeds?  Everyone will be aboard the Geno bandwagon and what better place to play and cash in than NY?

If what you say is true about Geno's ability, then we obviously don't extend him.  I don't know that to be true though.  I think he'll perform just as well, if not better than Fitz last year.  

The decision Macc will have to make is if it's the team making Geno look good or if Geno actually is good when surrounded by any sort of talent.  The good thing is that we now have a baseline to go from.  We've seen what this team can do with one of the most consistently mediocre QBs you could ask for.  So making that decision should be easier for Macc.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

You do realize Butler had a much better season than Revis last year and he only cost the Pats $400K versus Revis $17MM.

Butler was a Pro Bowl CB last year who handled Watson and Hopkins pretty easily, something your $17MM boy could not do.

The Jets payed Revis like the player he was in '09 and '10. His performance today is nowhere near the ridiculous amount of money that the Jets are currently paying him.

SOJ's.

Butler's not better than Revis even the 2015 edition. But the Revis contract is something that NEP would never have been stupid enough to do. They got him for a bargain 12 mil per year and that second year by them was never even a consideration. Only a clueless org and owner would kill their cap for a player on the decline. BB never does this kind of insanity. 

1 hour ago, Colgateman said:

well, "reportedly" means a lot when it is Adam Schefter saying it. Considering he is right 99% of the time.

So what exactly did Schefter say. And did he say it was just a rumor or fact. How did he phrase it. So far all I see is general speak and speculation even from him. And he isn't right 99% of the time. I am (just joking).

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Yeah because it's a nothing story. When you don't have the facts don't make assumptions. Esp ones that only back up your POV.

3 INTs in a row Jets lose to Bills and end playoff hopes 

6 teams in 11 years never once making the playoffs 

I got something and you dont like it 

This is the dumbest debate I have ever seen and it just keeps going? Let me tell you all how this is all going to work out. Fitz WILL resign. Guaranteed. Write it down. You heard it here first. The Jets are NOT going to carry 4 QB's into the regular season. They are also NOT going to give up on Petty or Hack. GENO will get what everyone has been dying to see happen. He'll get f*cking cut and it should have happened long ago. Geno sucks.

[/quote

Maine,

Been reading your post over the years across a few boards and respect your opinion in many things.

Yet, in this case I believe you and many others are on the wrong side of this argument. Your letting your emotions cloud your judgement and are not taking into account the negative factors that influenced a lot of Geno's earlier play. Those factors have been discussed at length in many other posts on this board.

What doesn't get as much attention is the games where this kid flat out balled. Yes, I know those games were far between and all too few. Yet, they were and it showed his potential if given the right set of circumstances.

The kid has the physical talent to be a good quarterback. He may even be a franchise QB if he get the mental aspect down.

As far as leadership is concerned it's amazing how much a kid like Geno can grow up in a few years. Especially being around the many professionals he has been exposed to. Last year may, have been the best thing to happen to him, being give the chance to step back.

I have no problem have Fitz coming back at a backup salary. Either that or a one year deal no more the 10 million. He is not the long term answer, and should not be paid to be under center next year.

If he comes back this year I hope this FO is smart enough to allow a REAL QB competition in TC and best QB starts. If he beats out Geno, fair enough, but if Geno out plays him in TC then he needs to be the starter. Fitz like Geno should not be just given the job on last years performance.

Either way he will not be here next season, so either Geno will be starting or Hackenburg or Petty will take over.

I'm closing my gut tells me Geno surprise many critics and Fitz will disappoint many supporters with the schedule we play this year.

21 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

3 INTs in a row Jets lose to Bills and end playoff hopes 

6 teams in 11 years never once making the playoffs 

I got something and you dont like it 

You've been over this with me and a million other people. You're transfixed on week 17 and only blame those picks on one player and it's been pointed out to you ad infinitum that it takes more than one player to lose a game. And that all 3 picks were in the 4th quarter and 2 in the last few minutes when interceptions happen because opponents know you're going to pass. I mean talk about holding a grudge! Remember that game that Geno had against the Bills. Which performance was worse?

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You've been over this with me and a million other people. You're transfixed on week 17 and only blame those picks on one player and it's been pointed out to you ad infinitum that it takes more than one player to lose a game. And that all 3 picks were in the 4th quarter and 2 in the last few minutes when interceptions happen because opponents know you're going to pass. I mean talk about holding a grudge! Remember that game that Geno had against the Bills. Which performance was worse?

Playoffs on the line. 1st and 10 on the bills 11 yardline, down by one friggin point.  DO NOT FORCE THE BALL FITZ. HE DID. He lost the game right there. 

Butler's not better than Revis even the 2015 edition. But the Revis contract is something that NEP would never have been stupid enough to do. They got him for a bargain 12 mil per year and that second year by them was never even a consideration. Only a clueless org and owner would kill their cap for a player on the decline. BB never does this kind of insanity. 

For Revis to stay on the Pats, it would have cost them $20MM to exercise his 2nd year option.

The day the Pats signed Revis, it was for a one year rental only.

That's how smart teams operate in the NFL.

15 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

For Revis to stay on the Pats, it would have cost them $20MM to exercise his 2nd year option.

The day the Pats signed Revis, it was for a one year rental only.

That's how smart teams operate in the NFL.

You're right on that. BB never signs players in their declining years. He gets the good years out of them and then either trades them to suckers (like the Raiders) or lets them walk. It's smart. The only reason Woody capitulated to Revis was pressure and people starting to blame it all on him after a 4-12. He's not the only owner who operates like that but your owner doesn't.

You're right on that. BB never signs players in their declining years. He gets the good years out of them and then either trades them to suckers (like the Raiders) or lets them walk. It's smart. The only reason Woody capitulated to Revis was pressure and people starting to blame it all on him after a 4-12. He's not the only owner who operates like that but your owner doesn't.

Good post, you are 100% correct about Woody.

The owner's (any owner) only responsibility is to the fans, they all make enough money where it doesn't even factor into the equation.

You can do that by appeasing them by signing fan-favorite players or building a championship caliber team.

I'm thrilled the owner of the Pats prefers the later.

Woody needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

21 hours ago, Mike135 said:

8 to 8.  But that's only if ya consider the 3rd option as a Fitz vote.  I'd say that's 50/50 if not in Geno's favor.  There's nothing to suggest Fitz will sign for 7.

I'll break that tie and toss in a vote for Geno, even though I don't like the guy. I just think Fitzpatrick is being sold a bill of goods by his agent, who has him thinking the Jets would NEVER let themselves go into the season without him. I got news for you buddy You couldn't get us over the hump against a mediocre (at best) Bills defense and I doubt you are going to be vastly improved this season. I'll take a year of Geno's bullcrap and keep my fingers crossed for Petty or Hackenberg, or whoever we draft next year.

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Sure. Except the Jets whose coach, GM, and owner are all on record that if and when he comes back (because that's what they all want) that he's the starter. That speaks volumes about what they think of Geno. 

Lol. And meanwhile, there's no volume spoken at all when it comes to Fitzpatrick still being a free agent. He's twisting in the wind because the Jets love him. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Lol. And meanwhile, there's no volume spoken at all when it comes to Fitzpatrick still being a free agent. He's twisting in the wind because the Jets love him. 

And the market for Geno as a free agent will be what? He'll be lucky to get a second job. Come on. 

7 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Good post, you are 100% correct about Woody.

The owner's (any owner) only responsibility is to the fans, they all make enough money where it doesn't even factor into the equation.

You can do that by appeasing them by signing fan-favorite players or building a championship caliber team.

I'm thrilled the owner of the Pats prefers the later.

Woody needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

Look Kraft is full of baloney and sanctimonious. But I'd take him any day over Woody. 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Don't forget the easy pick-6 Corey Graham dropped on the third possession at Jets 12. And the final INT was an unforced miss to a wide open Decker. 

Fitz was 2-8, 5 yards net with four punts in four drives in the 1st QTR.

Then he threw 3 more INCs and failed to convert a gift-wrapped 1st & 10 at BUF 22 after Ivory's 58-yard all heart rescue effort.  

Fitz was 2-11 passing, down 13-0 and never caught up. Typical laid back Ryan Fitzpatrick fall behind derelict football.

Week 17 was a one game season and a freebie picnic to the playoffs. 

But Fitz avoids the postseason like it's a cloud of nerve gas and shows remorse by demanding a 5.5X pay raise when the team is flat broke. 

Just now, jetrider said:

Don't forget the easy pick-6 Corey Graham dropped on the third possession at Jets 12. And the final INT was an unforced miss to a wide open Decker. 

Fitz was 2-8, 5 yards net with four punts in four drives in the 1st QTR.

Then he threw 3 more INCs and failed to convert a gift-wrapped 1st & 10 at BUF 22 after Ivory's 58-yard all heart rescue effort.  

Fitz was 2-11 passing, down 13-0 and never caught up. Typical laid back Ryan Fitzpatrick fall behind derelict football.

Sorry, Week 17 was a one game season and a freebie picnic to the playoffs. 

But Fitz avoids the postseason like it's a cloud of nerve gas and shows remorse by demanding a 5.5X pay raise when the team is flat broke. 

Almosts don't count. If you did then Johnny Unitas would be a bum too. Look Fitz made enough mistakes that day without almosts. Just blast him for what he actually did. 

Archived