Poll: Fitz vs Geno

Mike135

Fitz or Geno?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. 2016 Starter?

• Fitz @8mil+ (most likely 10mil+ and multiple years)
    • Geno
    • Fitz @7mil and not a penny more! Otherwise Geno. (Added for LIJetsFan.)

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

We all are Jets fans, we should not classify ourselves as Geno haters, or Fitz haters, or Geno lovers or Fitz lovers, we all want what is best for the team. Doing what you perceive "geno haters" to do is no better than them doing it, be above it brother.

Some fans want Fitz failure/Jets failure more than anything after he made them look foolish last season.

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Some fans want Fitz failure/Jets failure more than anything after he made them look foolish last season.

Sadly, I think you are hitting the nail on the head. I think many are more interested in their street cred then what is best for the Jets.

Just now, BowlesMovement said:

Sadly, I think you are hitting the nail on the head. I think many are more interested in their street cred then what is best for the Jets.

Absolutely...Fitz ruined no fewer than 10 Sundays for a few fans last season and had them celebrating the week 17 loss like a Super Bowl berth.

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

Wait so I walk down the street in my Jets Jacket and people say hey that guys cool he's a Jets fan and he doesn't like Fitzpatrick as the QB.......

Street cred???????

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Absolutely...Fitz ruined no fewer than 10 Sundays for a few fans last season and had them celebrating the week 17 loss like a Super Bowl berth.

Fitzpatrick gave us a great season lots of fun agree,but he let us down hard in the end and he's not worth the money he's demanding. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Fitzpatrick gave us a great season lots of fun agree,but he let us down hard in the end and he's not worth the money he's demanding. 

None of us know what he's demanding...but if he ruined your 2015 by winning 10 games, it seems fashionable to pretend to have first-hand knowledge of what exactly his demands are.  For all we know, he cold be asking for 10 mil with the Jets offering 8.  Way more fun to trash the guy and insist he's demanding $18 mil per season.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Lessons on how to luck into a late round accidental all-time Great QB?  Lol, sure.

No luck-into-Brady-GOAT, and Kraft's record as owner looks alot like the Sullivan family's, Victor Kiam's and James Orthwein's records.  

Jack and sh*t for titles.

Save the snide mate, your entire franchises legacy is due to the Gaylord Perry of the NFL, a known, documented, and yet celebrated multi-form cheater, who also happens to be the GOAT at his position. 

And FrontrunnerFanTX isn't even a Pats fan.  

Lessons on how to luck into a late round accidental all-time Great QB?  Lol, sure.

No luck-into-Brady-GOAT, and Kraft's record as owner looks alot like the Sullivan family's, Victor Kiam's and James Orthwein's records.  

Jack and sh*t for titles.

Save the snide mate, your entire franchises legacy is due to the Gaylord Perry of the NFL, a known, documented, and yet celebrated multi-form cheater, who also happens to be the GOAT at his position. 

Look Fish, I have respected your opinion for many years.

When you can't be objective anymore, it's time to move on.

18 minutes ago, AFJF said:

None of us know what he's demanding...but if he ruined your 2015 by winning 10 games, it seems fashionable to pretend to have first-hand knowledge of what exactly his demands are.  For all we know, he cold be asking for 10 mil with the Jets offering 8.  Way more fun to trash the guy and insist he's demanding $18 mil per season.  

In other words, the long and short of it for Fitzpatrick is this: he wants to get Sam Bradfordmoney (a.k.a. $18 million a year or somewhere in the range). But teams see him as successful in Gailey's system and, at 33 years old, a bridge quarterback at absolute best.

Signing Fitzpatrick to a 3-year, $45 million deal is the type of move that will end up making you regret about $40 million of the contract.

9 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

We all are Jets fans, we should not classify ourselves as Geno haters, or Fitz haters, or Geno lovers or Fitz lovers, we all want what is best for the team. Doing what you perceive "geno haters" to do is no better than them doing it, be above it brother.

I agree, but when you hear stuff like "If we sign Fitz we need to cut Geno" and basically leave 2 unproven QB's with a total of 0 games played as the #2/#3 on the roster, thats when you know things are just getting stupid. 

58 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Fitz totally made me look foolish. He made me finally put my guard down on December 27th 2015 after the Pats win only to slap me in my f'ing face come January 3rd by waiting to the 4th quarter of the very last game to do everything that I knew he would ultimately do much earlier.  Talk about evil genius! In that regard, yeah...he totally made me look foolish because he made me 2nd guess myself after sticking with my gut for 16 weeks. 

But as for a "Fitz failure", he isnt even a Jet so I couldnt care less at this point. 

48 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Street cred is important. Fitz has never led a team anywhere outside of a regular season game....yet based on his street cred he has Decker/Marshall and Mangold vouching for him while making their rounds in the media. 

Luckily Macc isnt over pursuing that hand and giving in based on that street cred. 

since the rest of the league has zero interest in signing fitzpatrick, the smart move would be for Mac to pull his offer until training camp so the team can get a good look at how smith/petty/hack are developing. They may decide his services are not as needed as they thought, now that there's no risk of losing him to another team they can take their time evaluating the kids

Just now, cant wait said:

since the rest of the league has zero interest in signing fitzpatrick, the smart move would be for Mac to pull his offer until training camp so the team can get a good look at how smith/petty/hack are developing. They may decide his services are not as needed as they thought, now that there's no risk of losing him to another team they can take their time evaluating the kids

No ones developing in shorts and tshirts.

I voted for Geno.

At this point, the best strategy is to move forward with three young quarterbacks and see how they progress.

Fitzpatrick is a good stopgap for this season, but his asking price is way too steep. He's trying to cash in on a career year (can't blame him), but it would be a mistake to pay him more than top end backup money. He's been paid before and the results weren't good.

Ultimately it comes down to what the Jets coaches are seeing from the inside. Is Geno putting in the effort and showing glimpses of the game starting to click for him? He's had a full year to sit and learn the system. Is Petty progressing? The Jets need to use their best judgement based on their observations and evaluations of the young quarterbacks.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

I agree, but when you hear stuff like "If we sign Fitz we need to cut Geno" and basically leave 2 unproven QB's with a total of 0 games played as the #2/#3 on the roster, thats when you know things are just getting stupid. 

So just to be clear, starting a two-time young failure with two unproven QB's behind him is ok, but starting a veteran JAG with two unproven backup QB's behind him is "stupid".  

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Fitz has never led a team anywhere outside of a regular season game.

Can you remind us of all the places Geno Smith has led teams "outside the regular season", thanks.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

What exactly are we seeing over Geno's first 29 starts that we want to see again? He has what 40+ turnovers already? Guy isnt a starter.

42 IIRC...but the good news is, none of them were his fault.

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Can you remind us of all the places Geno Smith has led teams "outside the regular season", thanks.

Not the point considering Geno has started 29 games to Fitzpatrick's 110...Brings to light the low ceiling of Fitz.

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I wonder if I am the only fan who ever made that mistake  ?

You probably (correctly) remembered that Kyle Petty was offered scholarships from East Carolina and Georgia Tech to play QB for them - thus the slip-up ;)

8 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They don't need more money to sign Mo. Wilkerson can get all the money he wants with a low base salary for the first year and it could wipe 8-10 million off the books right there.

If they don't come to an agreement, there are simple things they can do to make money available without touching the Wilkerson franchise tag. Cut Breno, restructure a few contracts of Mangold and Marshall. Neither of those guys are going anywhere and they wouldn't limit anything. The Jets have 25 million in cap space free next year. It's nearly 100 in 2018. They have one player under contract for 2019 (except this year's rookies). It's not that hard. 

And no one knows what the schedule looks like this year. Teams aren't settled, injuries haven't happened, and you never know what will happen otherwise.  

Why add Wilkerson with a low base salary this year and then add Fitz?  That would mean moving his signing bonus higher and therefore we're stuck with a high cap number.  

Why would someone like Marshall or Mangold restructure their contract?  Restructuring basically means an extension in the type that the deal is converted into bonuses, so the cap hit can be spread around, and players get more security.  Why would we want to lock ourselves into players on the wrong side of 30 without being able to get out quickly if things go wrong?

I understand, people want Fitz back, but all of these moves have long term repercussions that aren't worth the upgrade from Geno to Fitz.  If we cut Breno (preferably after camp, so we can find out if some of the youngsters can actually step up) then use that money (about 4 million) to resign Wilkerson, and not pull off a Tanny and knock it into the following years.  Put someone of the cap hit from his contract on this year, so the cap hits aren't massive in later years.  

If Fitz would sign a backup QB deal, then sure, but he won't.  I honestly wish he would just sign somewhere else so we have a better shot at a comp pick.

4 hours ago, win4ever said:

Why add Wilkerson with a low base salary this year and then add Fitz?  That would mean moving his signing bonus higher and therefore we're stuck with a high cap number.  

Why would someone like Marshall or Mangold restructure their contract?  Restructuring basically means an extension in the type that the deal is converted into bonuses, so the cap hit can be spread around, and players get more security.  Why would we want to lock ourselves into players on the wrong side of 30 without being able to get out quickly if things go wrong?

I understand, people want Fitz back, but all of these moves have long term repercussions that aren't worth the upgrade from Geno to Fitz.  If we cut Breno (preferably after camp, so we can find out if some of the youngsters can actually step up) then use that money (about 4 million) to resign Wilkerson, and not pull off a Tanny and knock it into the following years.  Put someone of the cap hit from his contract on this year, so the cap hits aren't massive in later years.  

If Fitz would sign a backup QB deal, then sure, but he won't.  I honestly wish he would just sign somewhere else so we have a better shot at a comp pick.

You simply don't have a firm grasp on economics at all, so this conversation is going nowhere. You don't have to cut anyone to sign Wilk. I'm not sure what you're not understanding but the lack of the basics is hindering your argument, if you even have one. 

7 hours ago, Shadetree said:

It's 69-32 Fitz. 

It's approaching billboard time.

It's currently 32% to 31% in Geno's favor.

The remaining 37% say Geno if Fitz won't accept 7mil.  Which based on everything reported means...

Wait for it...

69% want Geno to start.  If Macc signs Fitz for 8mil or more (which is most likely want it'll take), 69% of us disagree with it.

Yup it could be billboard time.  I really thought Geno had no support.  Faith in my fellow Jet fans has been renewed!

Edit:  Quoted wrong person at first.

Archived