is Leonard Williams a Top 100 Player in the NFL ? ? ?

kelly

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports has ranked his top 100 players in the NFL. In this group, five Jets made the cut.

20. Brandon Marshall WR / New York Jets

35. Muhammad Wilkerson DE / New York Jets
57. Darrelle Revis CB / New York Jets
87. Sheldon Richardson DE / New York Jets
99. Leonard Williams DT / New York Jets

Williams is the most interesting addition to this group. The other guys all have star track records. Marshall and Wilkerson benefit from their big 2015 seasons. Revis and Richardson were knocked for their good but not great campaigns.

Williams is more of a wild card. You likely remember how many people said he was the most talented player in the entire 2015 Draft. His rookie season was promising. Now that he has his feet wet in the league, how good can he be? Can he make the leap into star territory? It seems likely to be one of the pieces of the puzzle the Jets need to fall into place to avoid a decline.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/6/6/11863280/is-leonard-williams-of-the-jets-a-top-100-player-in-the-nfl

Marshall and Wilkerson benefit from their big 2015 seasons.

Marshall yes, Wilkerson not so much

It's Top 100 list time that I reeeeeeeeeeallly wish Grantland was still around to offer truly insightful reads about the NFL. Props to Prisco for putting Wilkerson up that high THO and having the huge gap between he and Richardson, that sh*t is real. Williams getting some recognition is nice,any time I saw the Jets play he was a noticeable presence and worth the hype.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Maybe Williams should have made it. Im still wondering how guys like Dez Bryant and Andrew Luck made it this year. 

Derek Carr was #100 and Andrew Luck was higher. Complete joke. 

its not a fantasy draft, its the players rank the top 20 players, and then they add it up. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Maybe Williams should have made it. Im still wondering how guys like Dez Bryant and Andrew Luck made it this year. 

Derek Carr was #100 and Andrew Luck was higher. Complete joke. 

Well, Dez Bryant is still Dez Bryant, he was just injured this year, Luck is still Luck, he was just injured.

They are still top 100 players no matter what, no matter how it's sliced.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

its not a fantasy draft, its the players rank the top 20 players, and then they add it up. 

So it suddenly makes sense? 

I know what it is, well let me rephrase that, I know what its supposed to be. What it isnt is the top 100 players of 2016. 

Andrew Luck playing 7 games, completing 55% of his throws 15TD's and 12INT's shouldnt be considered top 100 this year. It sure as hell shouldnt be considered higher than Derek Carr. Luck shouldnt even be considered higher than Ryan Fitzpatrick, and I doubt Fitz is even on this list. 

It's called "The top players of 2016" not "My favorite nfl players". 

It's a complete joke. 

1 hour ago, Colgateman said:

Well, Dez Bryant is still Dez Bryant, he was just injured this year, Luck is still Luck, he was just injured.

They are still top 100 players no matter what, no matter how it's sliced.

It's called "The top 100 players of 2016", not "The top 100 players in the NFL. 

It doesnt matter who they are. They werent top 100 players of 2016. Maybe they should rename it then. 

24 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

It doesnt matter who they are. They werent top 100 players of 2016. Maybe they should rename it then. 

Why can't it mean, at this point in time 2016, who are the best players in the league?

I highly doubt voters are using strictly 2016 stats or performance to judge. 

1 hour ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Why can't it mean, at this point in time 2016, who are the best players in the league?

Because it's a yearly countdown. Because the name tells you what it means. It's "The top 100 players OF 2016", not "The top 100 players UP TO 2016" 

The answer is in the name. Furthermore, rookies make this list. How often do rookies go from being a rookie to being the top 100, talent in all of football? It's a yearly countdown (well, it's supposed to be a yearly countdown) of the top 100 players of that respective season. And if that's the case then Dez and Andrew shouldn't be on the list. Steve Smith tore his ACL and was out for the season...should he still make this list? Of course not. Though if you ask people to name the top 100 players active in football today, Smith will make a lot of lists.

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Well, 2016 is still happening. Like right now. And the 2016-2017 season has yet to happen. Maybe it's a predictive list. Or maybe you're from the future and know how 2016 will play out?!

11 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

It does mean that. It's also a popularity contest, a lifetime achievement award, and a prediction of the upcoming year. Mostly I would assume it's name recognition. 

It's anything you can feasibly imagine it to be because it's players voting. Each one decides for himself what the criteria is whether they lay out specifics or not. It's the same in any vote.

8 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Brady's salary for 2016 is $16MM LESS than what the Jets are paying Revis.

Let that sink in for a little bit.

The cap numbers are 3 million difference, but you knew that. And that doesn't even account for the under the table money he's making on the side.

30 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Sure Carl. 

Oh look. The original article, where it IS a predictive list for the next season, 2016! Wow. Cool. Sure Carl is right!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/priscos-top-100-nfl-players-for-2016/

Prisco's Top 100 NFL players for 2016

It's easy to say Aaron Rodgers had a down year in 2015. That's because he did -- by his standards.

Even so, he's the best player in the NFL, and the No. 1 player on my Top 100 list.

For starters, Rodgers' position is the most important, which helps puts him at No. 1. But despite losing his top receiver in the preseason in 2015, seeing his offensive line go through injury issues and his No. 2 receiver Randall Cobb struggling in the No. 1 role, Rodgers still threw 31 touchdown passes and eight interceptions.

Things got so bad at one point for the offense that Packers coach Mike McCarthy took the play-calling duties back from associate head coach Tom Clements. That's how off the Green Bay offense looked at times, yet Rodgers still rolled.

Yes, his numbers were down from the year before and some of his other special seasons, but 2015 was truly a year he put the Packers on his back. He nearly got them to the NFC Championship Game.

It was trendy to question Rodgers last year, but I still think he's the NFL's best player -- and 2016 will once again show us that.

That's why he's atop my rankings, which I've been doing since 2001. Back then, it was just a top 50, but when the copycats came, I increased it to 100. My rankings are based on play from last season, with a big eye on this season.

If a player is scheduled to miss a majority of the season, like Kansas City's Justin Houston, he isn't on the list. He'd be a top-15 player if he was healthy, but his ACL surgery takes him off.

I do take into account injuries from last season. Players who missed time and are expected back are included. Even guys coming off major surgeries.

So dive in, look around, complain, question and eat the list alive.

I know you will.

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh look. The original article, where it IS a predictive list for the next season, 2016! Wow. Cool. Sure Carl is right!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/priscos-top-100-nfl-players-for-2016/

Prisco's Top 100 NFL players for 2016

It's easy to say Aaron Rodgers had a down year in 2015. That's because he did -- by his standards.

Even so, he's the best player in the NFL, and the No. 1 player on my Top 100 list.

For starters, Rodgers' position is the most important, which helps puts him at No. 1. But despite losing his top receiver in the preseason in 2015, seeing his offensive line go through injury issues and his No. 2 receiver Randall Cobb struggling in the No. 1 role, Rodgers still threw 31 touchdown passes and eight interceptions.

Things got so bad at one point for the offense that Packers coach Mike McCarthy took the play-calling duties back from associate head coach Tom Clements. That's how off the Green Bay offense looked at times, yet Rodgers still rolled.

Yes, his numbers were down from the year before and some of his other special seasons, but 2015 was truly a year he put the Packers on his back. He nearly got them to the NFC Championship Game.

It was trendy to question Rodgers last year, but I still think he's the NFL's best player -- and 2016 will once again show us that.

That's why he's atop my rankings, which I've been doing since 2001. Back then, it was just a top 50, but when the copycats came, I increased it to 100. My rankings are based on play from last season, with a big eye on this season.

If a player is scheduled to miss a majority of the season, like Kansas City's Justin Houston, he isn't on the list. He'd be a top-15 player if he was healthy, but his ACL surgery takes him off.

I do take into account injuries from last season. Players who missed time and are expected back are included. Even guys coming off major surgeries.

So dive in, look around, complain, question and eat the list alive.

I know you will.

Sure Carl. 

I know its only OTAs but Williams is looking dominant so far. I believe he was noted as 'living in the backfield'. I mean, you know he has the strength. If he has improved on his moves at the line of scrimmage he could be an absolute beast for the Jets this year. Playing next to Wilk and Richardson no less. 

27 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I know its only OTAs but Williams is looking dominant so far. I believe he was noted as 'living in the backfield'. I mean, you know he has the strength. If he has improved on his moves at the line of scrimmage he could be an absolute beast for the Jets this year. Playing next to Wilk and Richardson no less. 

Williams just got a strip sack fumble on Geno Smith. 

14 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Brady's salary for 2016 is $16MM LESS than what the Jets are paying Revis.

Let that sink in for a little bit.I. 

Seriously if you're still under your parents insurance you can get the medical attention you need. Mental health isn't the taboo it used to be. Get the help you need and please stay away from guns.

On June 7, 2016 at 3:20 PM, munchmemory said:

Who gives a frig?  I'll take a bunch of lower wrung players who actually play together and win a championship.  Or, at the very least, consistently make the playoffs.

So I take it that you're not on the Ryan "Best Jets QB season" Fitzpatrick bandwagon. 

Archived