Who is going to be our #3 WR ? ? ?

kelly

If they cut Anderson (a specials playing, cost-controlled rookie with massive upside) for the significantly more expensive Tompkins (who doesn't contribute on specials and has a ceiling as a No. 4 WR), I will lose my sh*t

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

If they cut Anderson (a specials playing, cost-controlled rookie with massive upside) for the significantly more expensive Tompkins (who doesn't contribute on specials and has a ceiling as a No. 4 WR), I will lose my sh*t

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Prepare to lose you sh*t!

12 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Why are you so sure? This kid Anderson could make the team if he has games like week 2. The article says that he is a Bowles favorite so h foes have a shot to make it.

Had a good game against 2nd and 3rd stringers. We've seen this movie before. And he would knock Peake off the roster. Don't see that happening. He's practice squad material.

23 minutes ago, TexJet said:

Had a good game against 2nd and 3rd stringers. We've seen this movie before. And he would knock Peake off the roster. Don't see that happening. He's practice squad material.

Who said he was a starter? He's a 2 playing against other 2's. I like him and I think he has a shot and maybe he makes the team instead of Ross or J. Marshall who I was not impressed with. We will find out very soon.

11 hours ago, JetBlue said:

How the hell did that go unnoticed to the point where he wasn't even worthy of a 5th, 6th or even 7th round pick?  I know we had a limited number of picks and I am okay with our selections (including Peake in the 7th), I am just glad Mac had his eye on the Kid and pounced on him as soon as the draft concluded...  Man we FINALLY have a SCOUTING DEPARTMENT!!  Anderson, Marshall and Middleton this year, Deion Barnes, T. Jones last year...  That is how you big a contending team, finding the nuggets that others overlook.  

6'3 and under a buck 80 is how. That's not an ideal NFL frame. Some can fill out, but... yea. That's partly why. 

I don't know if I'd throw that kind of praise on our scouting department, yet. Little premature IMO... there's this guy Hack whom we apparently saw a world beater in. Devin Smith hasn't done much and Petty looked like a lost cause until this preseason... I;m not saying they stink or anything, in fact - its a universe apart from the Idzik/bradshaw days - but I'm not writing any scarlet letters yet. 

Though undrafted wide receiver Jalin Marshall has given theJets reasons to hope about him during training camp, he also dropped passes over the middle in their first two preseason games. 

Wide receivers coach Karl Dorrell is specifically working with Marshall on correcting this. Marshall is battling Robby Anderson, Jeremy Ross, and Charone Peake for the Jets' final one or two receiver spots. Marshall and Ross are also competing for the kickoff/punt return jobs. But if Marshall can't hold onto passes, he's not going to make the Jets' 53-man roster, and probably will wind up on their practice squad. 

"Believe me, we've both worked on it," Dorrell said of Marshall's drops. "I've played both the psychologist hat and the coaching hat. I'm doing everything to help him from that standpoint. He's got tremendous hands. That's the thing that's interesting." 

So what's the problem for Marshall? 

"It's when he tries to catch it with his body," Dorrell said. "That's when he has his problems. But I think lately, these last three or four practices since the [second preseason] game, he's plucking everything with his hands now. And he's not dropping it."So it's just a matter of him getting comfortable always catching in that fashion. I think that's starting to finally hit home with him right now. I don't think that's an issue. I just think he's got to get used to catching the ball with his hands more than getting into the pocket catching [with his body].

"It goes back into what he's used to doing, versus what we're teaching him now. It's just a technique that he has to continue to work on and I think he's really improved on that." 

Dorrell believes Marshall is an elusive, intriguing player, if he can move past his drops."I think Jalin is a guy that's a tremendous athlete," Dorrell said. "You know that getting the ball in his hands, he has a chance to make someone miss. He's not short on confidence, which I like." 

>        http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/heres_how_jets_jalin_marshall_can_stop_dropping_pa.html#incart_river_index

re our WR  dept..

~ ~    Eric Decker isn't known as a deep receiver. Never has been. 

Sure-handed? Absolutely. Superb route runner? Definitely. Technically sound? 100 percent. But for all the things Decker is, he's not regarded as a player that can stretch the field. 

The Jets, this season, are hoping to change that perception. 

"You'll see more of that this year," Jets receivers coach Karl Dorrell said Wednesday. "Eric will surprise a lot of people."

It's hard to imagine Decker, who's entering his seventh season, "surprising" anyone. Most players are considered established once they cross that fifth-year mark. Sure, they can always get better. But who they are — strengths and weaknesses — is usually defined.Decker has appeared in 92 games since being selected by the Broncos in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He has caught 376 passes for 5,059 yards and 50touchdowns during that time. His yards per catch average? 13.5. Not bad, but it certainly doesn't scream "field-stretcher."

The San Francisco 49ers' Torrey Smith averaged 20.1 yards per catch in 2015. The Jacksonville Jaguars' Allen Robinson averaged 17.5. The Washington Redskins' DeSean Jackson averaged 17.6. Those guys are known as deep threats.Extending the number a bit further, just 16 of Decker's 80 catches last year went for 20 or more yards. That ranked 17th in the NFL. Since Decker entered the NFL (excluding his rookie season when he caught six passes), he's ranked 58th, 39th, 9th and 37th in 20-plus yard receptions. The year Decker ranked 9th was the same season the Broncos' offense broke basically every record known to humankind.

Analytically, the numbers say Decker is strictly a possession receiver. The Jets say those numbers are lying. 

"Eric can get deep," Dorrell said. "He can sneak by you and do those things."

In the Jets' offense last year, Decker wasn't asked to go deep. The team had Brandon Marshall, Kenbrell Thompkins and others to do that. Decker worked out of the slot, dominated defenders with his route running and made the tough grabs. 

This year, the Jets are expanding Decker's role. Anyone who attended a Jets training camp practice could tell you that.On a relatively regular occurrence, quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick would gear up and launch one deep down the field in Decker's direction. Not every pass was completed. But the threat was there.Now, the key is connecting on the game day field. 

"He lets me know he can do those things in practice," Dorrell said. "We're opening our playbook a little more which should allow him to do some things."

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/jets_say_eric_decker_will_be_deep_threat_in_2016_h.html#incart_river_index

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

6'3 and under a buck 80 is how. That's not an ideal NFL frame. Some can fill out, but... yea. That's partly why. 

I don't know if I'd throw that kind of praise on our scouting department, yet. Little premature IMO... there's this guy Hack whom we apparently saw a world beater in. Devin Smith hasn't done much and Petty looked like a lost cause until this preseason... I;m not saying they stink or anything, in fact - its a universe apart from the Idzik/bradshaw days - but I'm not writing any scarlet letters yet. 

Hack was taken as a developmental pick and nothing was expected of him this year so I don't understand what you are getting at.  It was obvious from the start that he wasn't going to get much PT.   Petty was in a similar boat last year as a developmental player (but for different reasons) ; now a year in the system he is showing signs of "getting it".  Mac can't control injuries, until Smith ruptured his lung he was looking spectacular in camp last year.  When he finally came back he struggled; he started to play better and then suffered a  season ending injury.  Again, how do you hold that against Mac?   

Back to my original point, the league is full of players who don't have "prototypical size" but who were productive in college and continued to be so in the pros.  I understand Anderson was skinny but he was also very fast.   A player can gain a few pounds, but you either have speed or you don't.   

28 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Hack was taken as a developmental pick and nothing was expected of him this year so I don't understand what you are getting at.  It was obvious from the start that he wasn't going to get much PT.   Petty was in a similar boat last year as a developmental player (but for different reasons) ; now a year in the system he is showing signs of "getting it".  Mac can't control injuries, until Smith ruptured his lung he was looking spectacular in camp last year.  When he finally came back he struggled; he started to play better and then suffered a  season ending injury.  Again, how do you hold that against Mac?   

Back to my original point, the league is full of players who don't have "prototypical size" but who were productive in college and continued to be so in the pros.  I understand Anderson was skinny but he was also very fast.   A player can gain a few pounds, but you either have speed or you don't.   

Maybe I'm just in a dick mood -- but you somehow managed to say nothing, literally nothing, to support your own initial passion statement.

-- You admitted that Anderson has a small frame, and that sometimes people can overcome being "he's skinny"... that's fine. But you asked how could he be looked over??... well, you just answered you own question. Why waste one of 6-7 picks on a maybe when you can get a bushel of them as UDFAs. I can't count the number of 4.3-4.4 people who don't make it in the NFL.

--As you outlined rather defensively, the jury's still out on half the draft picks. So how can you heap praise on Mac if 2 of his QBs and his top playmaker on offense (Smith) is still far from a proven commodity. You couldn't have agreed with me more if you tried. The only difference is, you're making excuses for why taking guys who've yet to establish themselves is "OK" vs "dissapointing".

So, slow your roll son. I want them to work out just as bad as the next guy, but there's other teams who've done better with their picks since april of 2015 than Macc. We shall see. 

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Maybe I'm just in a dick mood -- but you somehow managed to say nothing, literally nothing, to support your own initial passion statement.

-- You admitted that Anderson has a small frame, and that sometimes people can overcome that "he's skinny"... that's fine. But you asked how could he be looked over??... well, you just answered you own question. Why waste one of 6-7 picks on a maybe when you can get a bushel of them as UDFAs. I can't count the number of 4.3-4.4 people who don't make it in the NFL.

--As you outlined rather defensively, the jury's still out on half the draft picks. So how can you heap praise on Mac if 2 of his QBs and his top playmaker on offense (Smith) is still far from a proven commodity. You couldn't have agreed with me more if you tried. The only difference is, you're making excuses for why taking guys who've yet to establish themselves is "OK" vs "dissapointed.

So, slow your roll son. I want them to work out just as bad as the next guy, but there's other teams who've done better with their picks since april of 2015 than Macc. We shall see. 

Yeah you are in a Dick mood....maybe you should go out and get some fresh air or something..    I will leave it there as I have no need to defend anything; my points stand whether you accept them or not.  "son".

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Yeah you are in a Dick mood....maybe you should go out and get some fresh air or something..    I will leave it there as I have no need to defend anything; my points stand whether you accept them or not.  "son".

If you're point is that half the drafts picks are still "in the garage" and that's enough for you to say "Macc & Co are legit scouts"... then yes, I guess? It's not a great position to take, but it is a position.

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If you're point is that half the drafts picks are still "in the garage" and that's enough for you to say "Macc & Co are legit scouts"... then yes, I guess? It's not a great position to take, but it is a position.

No one has ever hit on over half their draft picks consistently. If Mac does in his first 2 years as a scout that's damn good, and if he continues to do so he'll be in the HOF as the best GM ever.  

7 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

No one has ever hit on over half their draft picks consistently. If Mac does in his first 2 years as a scout that's damn good, and if he continues to do so he'll be in the HOF as the best GM ever.  

Agreed. But we can't say that we've hit on anything really, except the most bullet proof pick in the draft last year in Williams. A kindergarten scouting department could have made that pick. What's promising is that few of the picks have been the Jalen Saunders variety... but it's not to time party yet. Not when his lauded 2016 quarterback needs more work than a 1921 model-T ford. 

You guys are confusing pessimism with pragmatism. 

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

Agreed. But we can't say that we've hit on anything really, except the most bullet proof pick in the draft last year in Williams. A kindergarten scouting department could have made that pick. What's promising is that few of the picks have been the Jalen Saunders variety... but it's not to time party yet. Not when his lauded 2016 quarterback needs more work than a 1921 model-T ford. 

You guys are confusing pessimism with pragmatism. 

Poor Washington Redskins with their nursery school scouting department :(

re our WR  dept. - 

~ ~ The New York Jets hope to turn veteran wideout Eric Decker into something new this season: a deep threat.

"You'll see more of that this year," said receivers coach Karl Dorrell, per Connor Hughes of NJ.com. "Eric will surprise a lot of people."Even casual fans know about Decker's ability to produce. He was a bona fide playmaker and a fantasy darling with Peyton Manning's high-flying Broncos before signing with the Jets two seasons ago.

Pairing him with Brandon Marshall last year helped turn Decker into a huge part of Gang Green's attack, hauling in 80 balls for 1,027 yards and 12 scores -- but his 12.8 yards per catch say more about his crisp routes and ability to win matchups than his field-stretching skills. As Hughes points out, just 16 of Decker's 80 grabs in 2015 went for 20-plus yards, ranking him 17th in the NFL.

The Jets, though, plan to use him more downfield, with Dorrell emphasizing again: "Eric can get deep. He can sneak by you and do those things."Said Dorrell: "He lets me know he can do those things in practice. We're opening our playbook a little more, which should allow him to do some things."

Jets fans and scribes saw quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick aiming for Decker downfield on a regular basis during camp, but we'll need to see it happen in games. Players don't completely change half a decade into their NFL careers, but the way New York uses Decker could.

>      http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000690532/article/jets-aide-decker-to-surprise-people-as-deepthreat

Brandon Marshall remembers the first time he saw Robby Anderson.

It was at a gym in Florida that Marshall owns. Anderson had just finished his senior season at Temple and now he was training for the NFL draft.

“After talking to him I was like, ‘This kid has no chance,’ ” Marshall said. “He was this little, frail kid.”Anderson does not have an imposing physique. Standing 6-foot-3 and listed at 190 pounds, Anderson looks like a pipe cleaner. But when the wide receiver gets on the football field, something happens.

“Robby has that wow factor,” Marshall said.

The Jets have seen that “wow factor” all summer from Anderson, who signed after going undrafted. He has shown it in practice with acrobatic catches. He showed it last week against the Redskins when he had six catches for 131 yards and a long touchdown.Anderson is in a fight for a roster spot, but he might just be doing enough to make it. If you’re looking for a guy to root for, check out No. 83 in green and white Saturday against the Giants.

Two years ago, it would have been hard to imagine Anderson fighting for an NFL roster spot — that is for everyone but Anderson. He was ruled academically ineligible at Temple in 2014 after a strong redshirt sophomore season. Anderson went home to Florida and took classes at Valencia College, a community college in Orlando.“I learned a lot,” Anderson said of his year away from football. “I learned not to take anything for granted. It showed me a lot about who is in my corner. Sometimes when you hit rock bottom a lot of people are not there. It taught me a lot about myself. It made me a better person.”

In 2015, Anderson could have transferred to another college and played immediately or gone back to Temple needing to earn six credits over the summer to regain his eligibility. He chose to return to Philadelphia.“He’s such a loyal kid,” Temple coach Matt Rhule said. “He gambled on coming back to Temple and finishing what he started. He came back and got a 3.3 [GPA] that summer and had a really good senior year and now he’s a Jet.”

Rhule calls Anderson one of his favorite players he has coached. The two remained close during his year away and Rhule remembers Anderson returning to the Owls.“That was an emotional, joyous occasion,” Rhule said. “Not only did he get a second chance, but he created a second chance by going and getting it done in the classroom.”Anderson had a big senior season for Temple, catching 70 passes for 939 yards and seven touchdowns. It was not big enough to earn him an invitation to the NFL Scouting Combine, though.

The NFL was doubting Anderson again, something he is used to.

“I like that,” Anderson said. “Coming out of high school, people thought I was small and that was why I didn’t get as many offers. But you can be 225 pounds and soft. It’s about your heart at the end of the day.”The Jets signed Anderson after the draft and he has impressed during training camp. He has soft hands, blazing speed (he ran a 4.28 at his Pro Day) and tenacity that can’t be coached. Against Washington, he had receptions of 50 and 42 yards. Could he be the deep threat the Jets have been searching for?

Along the way, he won over one of his earliest skeptics — Marshall.

“That guy really came in and put his hard hat on,” Marshall said. “He’s a good receiver.”

It won’t be easy for him to make the roster. The Jets have Marshall, Eric Decker and Quincy Enunwa as locks to make the roster at the position. Anderson is fighting with veterans Kenbrell Thompkins, Jeremy Ross and Kyle Williams and fellow rookies Jalin Marshall and Charone Peake for three, maybe four spots.It is not the first time the odds have been against Anderson.

“One thing I’ve learned about life,” Anderson said, “is things will always work themselves out.”

>     http://nypost.com/2016/08/27/jets-rookie-wide-receiver-is-the-definition-of-wow-factor/

The New York Jets must cut their roster to 75 by 4 p.m. ET Tuesday and to 53 by 4 p.m. ET Saturday. Here’s a final 53-man roster projection :

~ ~   WIDE RECEIVER (7) : Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Quincy Enunwa, Kenbrell Thompkins, Robby Anderson, Jalin Marshall, Charone Peake

There's terrific competition for the final spots between rookies Anderson, Marshall, Peake and veteran Jeremy Ross. It might be a stretch to carry seven, but there's some good young talent on the back end of the depth chart. Ross is a tough cut because he can return punts and kickoffs, but so can Jalin Marshall. Anderson has racked up 203 receiving yards and Peake gets the benefit of the doubt because he's a draft pick. Chances are, these decisions will stretch into Week 1, as they try to maneuver the bottom of the roster. Devin Smith (knee) was placed on the reserve/physically unable to perform list, meaning he's not eligible to return until Week 7.

rest od above article :

>   http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62578/jets-solve-qb-riddle-by-keeping-four-in-53-man-roster-projection

3 minutes ago, kelly said:

The New York Jets must cut their roster to 75 by 4 p.m. ET Tuesday and to 53 by 4 p.m. ET Saturday. Here’s a final 53-man roster projection :

~ ~   WIDE RECEIVER (7) : Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Quincy Enunwa, Kenbrell Thompkins, Robby Anderson, Jalin Marshall, Charone Peake

There's terrific competition for the final spots between rookies Anderson, Marshall, Peake and veteran Jeremy Ross. It might be a stretch to carry seven, but there's some good young talent on the back end of the depth chart. Ross is a tough cut because he can return punts and kickoffs, but so can Jalin Marshall. Anderson has racked up 203 receiving yards and Peake gets the benefit of the doubt because he's a draft pick. Chances are, these decisions will stretch into Week 1, as they try to maneuver the bottom of the roster. Devin Smith (knee) was placed on the reserve/physically unable to perform list, meaning he's not eligible to return until Week 7.

rest od above article :

>   http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62578/jets-solve-qb-riddle-by-keeping-four-in-53-man-roster-projection

Great example as to why retaining FOUR QB's is pants-on-head stupid.

You do not cut loose quality WR prospects so we can be 0.00002% more likely to win one game with our #2 QB, maybe.  Especially when we all know that #2 QB has no future in New York whatsoever beyond this season.

Fitz to hold the fort, Petty and Hack to fight it out over the next couple years, and keep as many quality WR prospects to grow behind Marshall/Decker as possible.  

— Charone Peake took a knee at the goal line on the sun-splashed field and stretched his legs to prep for the kickoff of Jets practice Monday afternoon.

The closing act of the exhibition season is coming Thursday night against Philadelphia at Lincoln Financial Field, and Peake is hoping to cash in on one final audition to claim a home on the 53-man roster.“Kind of really prove myself one last time,” said Peake, the seventh-round rookie receiver. “Put my stamp down and hopefully try to show what I can do in all phases. I know I’ll probably get a lot of reps on special teams.”

There are many Jets with the same mind-set. The final cuts are due by 4 p.m. Saturday.

“This is a huge week for some of the guys who are kind of on the bubble,” said Ryan Fitzpatrick, who used to be one of them as a younger quarterback.That’s why it’s such a nerve-racking time on both sides of the ball. Take the wide receivers. The Jets have nine of them left. There doesn’t figure to be enough room for everyone.

Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Quincy Enunwa are givens. Fourth-year pro Kenbrell Thompkins did some nice things last season. Peake and undrafted free-agent rookies Robby Anderson and Jalin Marshall have also done some nice things this preseason as has fifth-year receiver/returner Jeremy Ross. Even first-year pro Chandler Worthy has looked worthy at times.

Peake may have an advantage being a draft pick. Asked if he’s nervous about his status, the 6-2 former Clemson captain said, “Yeah, it’s on my mind. I’m not going to lie. But I can’t think too much about it. Just really going to go out there and be myself and not think too much.”

His highlight moment came in the preseason opener against Jacksonville when he caught a 17-yard touchdown toss from Geno Smith. Peake is second on the team in receptions with nine and second in yards with 103 across the three preseason games.Anderson has opened the most eyes out of the young guys. The fast-moving 6-3 Temple alum is the leader with 11 catches and 203 yards — 18.5 per catch, including one that went for 50 and another that went for a 42-yard touchdown, both at Washington in the second game.

He has two scoring catches so far.

And while the 5-10 Jalin Marshall, who gave up his final two years of eligibility at Ohio State, has had some drops, he has also made eight catches for 77 yards. Plus, he has returned kickoffs and punts, racing one Jacksonville kickoff back 84 yards.“They’ve got a long way to go as far as reading coverages and everything like that,” Todd Bowles said about the three rookies. “All of them are still fighting, and it’s going to be some tough choices to be made. But all of them have flashed over the course of some games. So this game is important for them.”

That goes for Ross, too. He’s proven himself as an NFL return guy, averaging 25.1 on kicks and 11.2 on punts in four seasons spent with four teams. In the preseason, he owns a 51-yard kick return and a 28-yard punt return, and he has caught six balls for 89 yards.

But has he shown enough ?

“I’m not sure,” Ross said. “I don’t know exactly how many plays they want someone to make in order to be satisfied with that particular player. But I feel like I’ve done OK on the special teams. I’m just going to keep trying to improve and impress.”

>       http://www.northjersey.com/sports/charone-peake-among-receivers-sweating-jets-final-cuts-1.1651886

— The Jets will play their fourth preseason game against the Eagles on Thursday . . . wait! Don’t stop reading yet. While the final preseason game has long been a tedious exercise for NFL teams — so much so that the league has discussed nixing it altogether — the Jets and coach Todd Bowles are looking at this week’s contest as a prime opportunity to answer some very pressing questions that will factor into the season.

That’s right: For them, Thursday matters. “We have some roster spots up for grabs, so it’s valuable to us,” Bowles said after practice Monday. By then, the Jets had already cut 11 players, and will need to cut three more before Tuesday’s 4 p.m. deadline to bring them down to 75. On Sept. 3, that number will have to go down to 53. As it turns out, injuries, a talented young receiving corps and a few other factors have made that whittling process more difficult.  

“There are quite a few guys I want to see, quite a few guys that were nicked up that didn’t get a chance to play and have a chance to prove themselves,” Bowles said, adding that there were “quite a few” spots for the taking. “You get to play a whole game, you get to see them when they’re fatigued, you get to see them when they play special teams. You get a good look at them when they play offense and defense, so you get a good gauge of what kind of guy you’re getting. They get a lot of playing time in this game so we’ll see.”

Players to watch Thursday include the three rookie wide receivers that have fully impressed veteran Brandon Marshall: Jalin Marshall, Charone Peake and Robby Anderson. (Brandon Marshall last week said the Jets should keep all of them, and that was before the team cut Kyle Williams on Monday.) Cornerback Dexter McDougle, who’s been battling a hamstring injury, is also a bubble player, as is CB Dee Milliner. Brandon Bostick might also need to distinguish himself in the Jets’ thin tight end pool. Basically, there’s no shortage of tough decisions, though the wide receiver battle may be the most intriguing. Though the Jets certainly don’t need to take Marshall’s advice and carry all of them, contributions on special teams could certainly bolster individual cases.

“They’ve all flashed at certain times,” Bowles said of the three. “Obviously, they all have a long way to go. They’ve got to play to get some more experience. Everyone hasn’t thrown their best coverages and everything at them. They have a little more to go as far as reading coverages and everything like that. This game is important so they get some valuable experience. All of them are still fighting and there are going to be some tough choices to be made.” Ryan Fitzpatrick has been on both ends of those tough choices, and knows all too well that while others may write off this last game, it means everything to players vying for their NFL future. You’re “trying to help out as much as possible” going into the week, said Fitzpatrick, who, with most other first-string players, won’t be on the field Thursday.

“This is a huge week for some of the guys that are kind of on the bubble, I think. I certainly understand that, I understand how important this is for them, not just for this year but for their careers.” Asked if he had any advice for them, Fitzpatrick made it easy: Just don’t overthink it. “Just go out and play,” he said. “Don’t think about the outcome, don’t think about the what-ifs, just go out and play. As long as you put everything you have into it, you’ll be satisfied with the outcome.”

>      http://prod.static.jets.clubs.nfl.com/assets/docs/clippings/2016/08-August/083016-daily-clips.pdf

Perhaps the toughest roster decision the Jets have to make this weekend is at wide receiver.

The team has three rookies who have had strong training camps and preseasons — Charone Peake, Jalin Marshall and Robby Anderson. Can they keep all three?

“It’s possible,” coach Todd Bowles said. “They’ve all had their flashes in games. It’s possible.”

Teams must cut their rosters to 53 players by 4 p.m. on Saturday. General manager Mike Maccagnan and Bowles are going to have to strongly consider what to do at wide receiver. Beyond Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Quincy Enunwa, there are some big decisions to make.Veteran Kenbrell Thompkins probably will make it, but he has been sidelined with a groin injury and won’t play on Thursday night against the Eagles in the preseason finale. Jeremy Ross is another veteran who could make the cut. He has been the team’s primary kick returner in the preseason.

But the Jets may not want to let any of these rookies go. Anderson, an undrafted free agent from Temple, has put up 203 receiving yards in the preseason, making enough plays to get the start last week against the Giants. Marshall, also undrafted out of Ohio State, has been impressive in practice and also can return kicks, bringing one back 84 yards in the preseason opener against Jacksonville. Peake was taken in the seventh round by the team out of Clemson. He scored a touchdown against the Jaguars.

“We’ve got tough decisions to make in a few spots,” Bowles said. “It will be interesting to see who plays well.”

>     http://nypost.com/2016/08/30/does-something-have-to-give-with-jets-wr-glut/

Jeremy Rossicon-article-link.gif  is trying to separate from the pack. He’s in the middle of a receiving competition that will that will come down to the wire when the Jets need to trim their roster to 53 by Saturday at 4:00 p.m. E.T.“It’s going well, everybody is competing and making plays out there,” Ross said this week. “We have a great group. We’re having fun and we’re focusing on getting better and taking it day by day.”

The rest of the competitors include  Chandler Worthyicon-article-link.gif ,  Jalin Marshallicon-article-link.gif ,  Charone Peakeicon-article-link.gif  and Robby Andersonicon-article-link.gif . Ross has the most NFL experience of the bunch, but his most significant advantage may be his return ability. He holds career averages of 11.2 yards and 25.1 yards per punt return and kick return respectively and the Cal  product  has displayed a knack for the big  play  throughout the preseason. He returned the Jets’ first kickoff of the summer for 51 yards against Jacksonville and Ross added a 28-yard punt return against the Giants as he spun away from Dwayne Harris and shot up the sideline.

“It definitely creates value being a return man,” he said about his chances making the team. “We don’t come a dime a dozen — there’s not a lot of us out there. It does take a skill and I think it creates value being able to do multiple things. If you have one guy who can do seven things versus seven guys doing seven different things, it definitely creates more value. In this league, they preach the more you can do, the more valuable you are.”

Thursday not only marks the concluding preseason  game  of 2016, but also the  final opportunity  for players like Ross to showcase his skills before final cuts.

“Every single game you want to  make an  impression, whether it be game one, game three or game four,” he said. “You definitely want to leave a lasting impression every opportunity you get. You treat these games like every one is important so you come out here, work hard and do your best.”

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Ross-Hopes-to-Leave-Lasting-Impression-/1b6ea573-9fd2-4f86-953f-c0c3921c7d02

Welcome to 53-man roster cuts deadline day

Let's start it with a Jets mailbag, shall we ?

And away we go, with your questions and our answers : 

~ ~ @DarrylSlater who do u have wr making the 53

– Robby Anderson finished the preseason in style with another eye-opening performance that might have secured his roster spot. The undrafted rookie receiver hauled in his third touchdown of the preseason — a 44-yarder from Bryce Petty — to cap a memorable month that included 13 receptions for 264 yards.

Maccagnan said in a halftime interview with CBS that Anderson “probably played his way into contention” for a roster spot. Anderson, frankly, has played too well this summer not to make the 53-man roster. Rookie wideouts Jalin Marshall, Charone Peake and Anderson looked strong at different times, but Anderson’s big-play ability is impossible to ignore.

“We see growth in him from a confidence standpoint,” Todd Bowles said. “He still has a lot to learn from a receiver standpoint… small technical things about reading coverages and breaking off routes. But his confidence is high…. He has some play-making ability, but he still has to get a better grasp of the offense.”

HERE'S TO YOU, ROBINSON

rest of above article : 

>   http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-insider-robby-anderson-hauled-roster-spot-article-1.2775041

The situation has already played itself out in Jalin Marshall'smind countless times. It's his dream scenario for the Jets' season opener againstthe Cincinnati Bengals this Sunday

The Jets win the coin toss. The Jets elect to receive. Marshall, the Jets' kick returner, awaits said opening kick.

After that ?

"Score," Marshall told NJ Advance Media by his locker Monday. "Set the tempo for the season. Show everyone we're the Jets, and we're here to play." 

Given long-shot odds to make the Jets' roster as an undrafted free agent, Marshall was one of the team's training camp stars this summer. Actually, he was an every-camp star. Marshall was arguably the most impressive player on the field in rookie minicamp, organized team activities, minicamp and training camp. Taking reps as a kick returner, punt returner, slot receiver and outside wideout, Marshall made play after play. A week into training camp, he was getting reps with the first-team offense. When it came time for the Jets to make roster cuts, the team gave Marshall the nod over battle-tested veterans like Kenbrell Thompkins and Jeremy Ross. 

But Marshall isn't just some undrafted rookie that will remain on the bottom of the depth chart during the season. He is the starting kick and punt returner, and said he's part of the Jets' four-receiver package along with Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Quincy Enunwa. "I was fortunate enough where I made some good impressions and carried it throughout the summer," Marshall said. "I've let these guys know that I can be consistent and that they can trust me. 

"I'm blessed to be here right now. I've got a role on this team. I'm going to embrace it and help this team win a championship. It's time for me to show I'm a dynamic returner, that way I can get even more reps on offense." At Ohio State, Marshall was a bit of an everything man. He took reps at H-back, running back and receiver on offense. He was solid, too, totally 1,151 yards from scrimmage in two years. But where Marshall was electric was as a returner. 

In 2014, he averaged 11.8 yards per punt returner and scored a touchdown. In 2015, he averaged 13.5 yards per return. He didn't get as much work on kick returns, but still averaged 30.7 yards on three attempts.The Jets' special teams (specifically their return game) were anemic last season. The coaches believe Marshall is the perfect guy to fix that."I think Jalin is a guy that's a tremendous athlete," receivers coach Karl Dorrell said. "You know that getting the ball in his hands, he has a chance to make someone miss. He's not short on confidence, which I like." 

One of the reasons Marshall signed with the Jets was because he felt they had a problem on special teams, and he could be the solution. Becuase he wasn't drafted, Marshall knew special teams was his ticket to making a roster.In the preseason, he showed his early assumption wasn't far off— He had kick returns of 32 and 84 yards. Now that Marshall has made the team, he wants to show the Jets didn't make a mistake. "My goal was to win that return job, solidify that role on the team and be the electric guy to get the game going," Marshall said. "I feel that if we need a play, I can be the guy to make it on punt and kick return. 

"My motto is I want to score every time I touch the ball. If I take that mentality to the field, and they trust me and I trust them, we'll be alright. I'm trying to score every time."

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/jalin_marshall_jets_kick_returner_score_every_time.html#incart_river_index

Jets wide receiver Robby Anderson, an undrafted rookie from Temple, is one of six receivers whom the Jets retained on their 53-man active roster last weekend. He is one of three rookies among that six-receiver group. 

Anderson, who remains a raw player, could give the Jets a deep-ball threat this season, with his impressive speed. He showed intriguing potential during preseason games, when he made 13 catches for 264 yards and three touchdowns. He had touchdown catches of 42 and 44 yards, plus another 50-yard catch. 

This week, we caught up with Anderson and chatted with him about making the team and looking toward the future. 

How'd you find out that you made the team? 

"I was excited. It was just a great feeling, to be able to continue to chase my dream. It's funny, because my girlfriend kept checking Twitter and reading the cuts, and then she just kept telling me. We were together, coming back from Philly [on Saturday, after attending Temple's game Friday]. She just kept letting me know what was going on. And then they posted the final roster, and I didn'tget a phone call [a good sign]. After I saw them cut three receivers, I did the math, and there were six receivers left, and I figured I'm good." 

You trained with former NFL receiver Chad Johnson this offseason. Has he reached out to congratulate you? 

"One of my friends ran into him the other day, and he was asking about me. He's just happy for me. He made a tweet the other day, wondering if I made the roster and giving me props. I appreciate him a lot. He hasn't been able to [reach out personally] yet. We don't have each other's [phone numbers]. We're going to get in contact, though." 

Now that you've made the roster, what's your next step? 

"Just because I made the team doesn't mean I can relax now, because it could be gone in the blink of an eye. Now it's time to put in even more work, and really contribute." 

You played just two seasons at receiver in college, 2013 and 2015. Is making an NFL roster something you ever could've envisioned while missing the 2014 season due to an academic suspension? 

"It used to seem far out of reach. Sometimes, it didn't seem believable, didn't really seem like it was much of my reality. Things that are happening now, I never really thought of, but I always pictured and dreamed of myself being in the NFL. I never gave up on it. You can never give up on your dream." 

Your position coach, Karl Dorrell, has said you're so raw that you don't even realize how much higher your ceiling is. What do you think of that? 

"I feel like that's great. There's a lot of people maybe, they might come into the NFL and have reached their peak and never been able to grow from there. So it's good to have potential. That's how you know you have an opportunity to get better." 

How did you celebrate making the roster on Saturday night? 

"I went down there to Teaneck, and my father cooked a nice [steak] dinner. My grandmother, my father, and my girlfriend, we sat down and broke bread and enjoyed the moment. [Anderson's father and grandmother live in Teaneck, where Anderson resided until he was 3.] It's great, but it's not the end. It's just the beginning. I'm just trying to make more of this, make the most." 

You had a 44-yard touchdown catch in the preseason finale at the Eagles, on the same field where you played at Temple. What was that like? 

"That's crazy. It felt good to go back and play on the field I was familiar with. I made a joke after I scored. I'm like, 'Dang, I scored in every corner of this end zone except for the one over there.' It was cool." 

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/qa_with_jets_robby_anderson_who_refuses_to_settle.html#incart_river_index

• 2 weeks later...

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets :

~ ~ 2. Finding hidden gems : One of the great things about football -- in particular, the draft -- is there are no guarantees in the business of talent procurement. You never know where, or when, a legitimate player might pop up. Perfect example: The Jets' approach at wide receiver.They've invested significant resources in the position in recent years, using second-round picks on Devin Smith (2015) and Stephen Hill (2012), trading for Brandon Marshall and spending $7.3 million a year on Eric Decker in free agency. The latter two moves have worked out, but the two draft picks? Not so much.

Then, out of the distant background, they find Quincy Enunwa and Jalin Marshall. Enunwa was the 209th player drafted in 2014 (a sixth-rounder), and Marshall was ignored by every team in the 2016 draft; the Jets signed him as a free agent. Anybody who saw Thursday night's game could see that both players played key roles and will help the team over the course of the season. Both receivers have been drawing positive reviews from teammates since Day 1 in training camp.

"He just understands the game and is just a really smart football player,"Ryan Fitzpatrick said of Marshall.

It just goes to show: You never know.

3. Kudos to that guy : Former general manager John Idzik has received a lot of criticism for his ill-fated, two-year stint as the football boss -- specifically, for his lack of drafting acumen -- but give the man credit for Enunwa. He was a member of the Idzik 12, the 12-player draft class that has dwindled the three after only two years. Enunwa was a terrific pick, but the guy who really deserves props is current offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

A year ago, Gailey had the foresight to recognize that Enunwa, at 6-foot-2, 225 pounds, has unique traits and could be more in his offense that just a wide receiver. He created a hybrid role -- part receiver, part tight end. Some people, including myself, questioned the wisdom of playing Enunwa over the established Jeremy Kerley, who was phased out, but Gailey knew what he was doing. Now they're reaping the benefits.

rest of above article : 

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63216/jets-welcome-matt-forte-with-heavy-workload-too-heavy-for-own-good

Through two games, Quincy Enunwa has emerged as a more-than-reliable No. 3 wide receiver for the Jets

Last season, you saw his value as an H-back hybrid receiver who could play a quasi-tight end role — and block very well. But he had just 22 catches all year, for 315 yards and zero touchdowns.But in 2016, his third NFL season, he has looked like a natural catching passes — even deep balls. He has 14 targets, 13 catches, 146 yards, and one touchdown. He leads the Jets in catches and is second in yards. 

Let's take a look back at the film ofThursday's win at the Bills, to see what Enunwa did well. He had six catches on six targets for 92 yards. He did almost all of his damage in the first half. His lone second-half catch gained 2 yards. 

In the first half, he had catches of 34, 10, 11, 21, and 14 yards. Below, we'll examine three of those plays in detail. 

The situation: Third-and-10 at Jets' 25-yard line, 14:11 left in first quarter 

The result: 34-yard deep ball completion to Enunwa, who pulled in the pass over Stephon Gilmore 

Analysis: The Jets lined up Enunwa far outside, and he was able to get a step on Gilmore off the line of scrimmage. Ryan Fitzpatrick threw a nice ball, but Enunwa showed an impressive combination of balance and strength to haul in the pass, as you can see in the second image below. Enunwa has always been a physically strong player, but he has honed other areas of his game lately. "He's worked on his hands every day in the offseason," said Jets coach Todd Bowles. "He's worked on his feet. He's worked on his route running." Bowles also mentioned that in addition to showing improved footwork, Enunwa is "playing with more balance." 

The screen shot evidence: See the images below, for how the play unfolded. 

The situation: Third-and-9 at Bills' 36-yard line, 10:42 left in first quarter 

The result: 10-yard screen pass to Enunwa, for yet another third-down conversion on the Jets' opening drive 

Analysis: Enunwa lined up to Fitzpatrick's left, tight to the offensive line, in a three-receiver, bunched formation. After catching the pass, Enunwa got some help, with effective blocks by Eric Decker and Jalin Marshall, who were over there with him. But Enunwa had to wiggle away from a third would-be tackler, while keeping his balance — in a different (but no less effective) way than he did on that deep ball earlier in the drive. After wiggling away, Enunwa still had to surge ahead for the first down. More balletic stuff here from Enunwa. 

The screen shot evidence: See the images below, for how the play unfolded. 

The situation: First-and-10 at Jets' 23-yard line, 7:47 left in second quarter 

The result: 21-yard deep ball over the middle to Enunwa, to start a touchdown drive that put the Jets up 20-7

Analysis: After a play-action fake, Fitzpatrick threw the ball behind Enunwa, as he ran across the middle of the field. But Enunwa — who had aligned in the slot — showed excellent hands, by pulling in the pass, as he was leaping, while getting advantageous position on the defender. Enunwa had both feet off the ground, and a defender on his back, when he managed to catch this pass — which, again, was thrown behind him. Really impressive stuff from Enunwa here. 

The screen shot evidence: See the images below, for how the play unfolded. 

>  http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/how_jets_quincy_enunwa_is_finding_important_role_o.html#incart_river_index

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Examining the five biggest surprises (positive, negative and otherwise) of the New York Jets' first two games :

~ ~    2. The emergence of Quincy Enunwa : The Jets talked him up throughout the offseason and training camp. They knew what they had in Enunwa, but did anyone expect him to be leading the team in receptions after two games? Didn't think so. At times, he's the focal point of the passing game, meaning they make a concerted effort to get him the ball against certain coverages. The secret is out, so it'll be interesting to see how opponents adjust -- and how the Jets counter those adjustments.

rest of above article : 

>   http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63275/jets-early-surprises-include-darrelle-revis-slump-new-receiving-leader

• 2 weeks later...

Every now and again, Robby Anderson will go off by himself and flip on old practice tape. 

He'll review the film from the Jets' rookie camp, organized team activities, and minicamp this summer. He'll locate himself — all 6-3 and 190 pounds — then analyze his own game.

He has done this a handful of times, and each time, he comes away thinking the same:

Is that really me? 

"I don't even understand how I used to look like that," Anderson told NJ Advance Media Thursday. "It's night and a day. A huge difference."You'd be hard-pressed to find a player that has made more progress than Anderson since signing with the Jets as an undrafted free agent out of Temple this year. He arrived at One Jets Drive a skinny, tall, fast, athletic freak. He was not, by any stretch, a fine-tuned receiver.Having played in just 24 collegiate games, Anderson was as raw as they come. He could catch, run and jump, sure. But the route tree? He couldn't differentiate it from an Oak or Pine. 

"[Receivers coach Karl Dorrell] has really gotten me right since I got here," Anderson said. "I emphasized that a lot over the summer, and over the break. I worked on route running and my feet a ton. I think you can see it has improved a lot."Anderson has lost count how many times he ran through a simple five-yard cone drill, which former Bengals receiver Chad Johnson first taught him.He'd take the field, start in his usual stance, then burst forward to a cone five yards away. When he reached the cone, he'd turn his body around and start heading back. The key was to make the transition as smoothly as possible without slowing down and staying close to the cone. 

It sounds easy. It isn't. 

"I did it all summer. Every day," Anderson said. "I did it over, and over, and over again until it became muscle memory." 

And it paid off.

Anderson out-performed veterans like Jeremy Ross and Kenbrell Thompkins over the summer, and jumped Charone Peake — a player the Jets used a draft pick on this year — on the depth chart. In the preseason, he led the team in catches (13), yards (264) and touchdowns (3).  When Brandon Marshall missed the third preseason game with a hip injury, the coaches gave Anderson the start.He has continually shown he belongs, and the coaches are beginning to give him more opportunities. Last week against the Chiefs, Anderson caught the first two passes of his career, including an impressive 26-yard grab up the sideline.  

"He wouldn't be here if we didn't have confidence in the guy," offensive coordinatorChan Gailey said. "He's here because we do. He has continually, throughout the whole preseason, made plays and played with more confidence each week."Against the Seahawks this Sunday, Anderson could have much more than just role on offense, but a prominent one.Wideouts Eric Decker and Jalin Marshall are both dealing with shoulder injuries and have not practiced this week. It looks very much like both players will not play. That means Anderson will be the No. 3 receiver behind Brandon Marshall and Quincy Enunwa. 

Let that soak in for a minute. In the span of three months, Anderson will have gone from roster long shot, to preseason star, to critical piece on the Jets' starting offense.And none of it has phased him in the slightest."It just feels natural being out there," Anderson said with a shrug. "I got my jitters out in the preseason. I don't hype this game up too much. It's football. It's fun. You don't want to put unnecessary pressure on it.

"You go out there and play the game. That's why I try to do each week. Don't make too much out of it."

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/jets_robby_anderson_ready_for_extended_role_vs_sea.html#incart_river_index

Since he walked through the doors at the Atlantic Health Training Center, it seems that whenever rookie WR Robbie Anderson’s number is called, he responds. First came his consistency throughout training camp. Then he led the NFL in preseason receiving yards, finding the end zone in three of four games including two 40-plus yarders. With WRs Eric Deckericon-article-link.gif and Jalin Marshallicon-article-link.gif ailing from shoulder injuries, he had his first opportunity to make his biggest impact to date — against the league’s best defense.

“Coming off the field, I hold myself to a higher standard catching every pass and I was upset about the interception that I caused,” he said regarding his performance on Inside the Jets. “Coming out of the game, I was upset about that. But after we watched the film, you have to be your biggest critic and be real to yourself about everything. I was upset about that but after we watched the film, I played really well. I played fast, I was in and out of breaks and me and Fitz were inches away from connecting on some of those go balls. It’s a long season and we have to get better and keep preparing and capitalize next time.”In the third quarter of the contest, the speedster almost came down with a deep pass down the home sideline, but it was broken up at the last second by CB DeShawn Shead. Anderson finished the day with a pair of catches for 12 yards, including a fourth-down conversion, after recording his first professional catch the week before against Kansas City.

With the Jets receiving corps a little banged up, the Temple product was promoted to the No. 3 spot, behind his locker mate Brandon Marshallicon-article-link.gif and the team’s reception leader Quincy Enunwaicon-article-link.gif .“Communication really started throughout the week, I had to move over to the Z position (the wideout closest to the TE), which I wasn’t really playing throughout preseason and the summer,” he said about changes in his preparation. “I had to adjust and learn quick. Coach put me in there at that position the last few games but I just had to adjust to the speed of the game. I just had to pick up things and communicate. Brandon was telling me things on the sideline, in the locker room, and go out there and do it on the field.” Within the crowd of 78,160 people participating in Sunday’s White Out at MetLife stadium were Anderson’s family members. They eagerly watched No. 11 after suffering the disappointment of going undrafted, battling the hardships of training camp and clawing for a roster spot.

“There wasn’t really any pressure, it feels good to know that your family is there with their support,” he said. “They’ve seen me dream this since I was a young kid and to see me living it makes them happy. And it makes me happy knowing they’re in the bleachers, in the stands, watching me do that instead of watching through a TV screen.”Anderson’s next challenge? The Pittsburgh Steelers, who hold the league’s 30th-ranked passing defense.“Capitalize,” he said regarding his goals for this week. “There’s always something you can do better, it’s just seizing the moment. At this moment, you have to work that much harder finishing your catches and releases. Just playing my game, which is speed. Sometimes I try to do things that Brandon can do like get physical with guys at times and that’s not my game. I have to play fast, play elusive.”  

Like a sponge, the 6’3”, 190-pounder continues to soak in all he can. Despite the early triumphs in his career, Anderson’s work ethic has not gone by the wayside as he is still working on making an impact for the Green & White when it matters most.“Definitely. Brandon is like a big brother to me,” he said. “He lets me know what I’m doing well and he’s always telling me what I need to get better on. He’s real with me and I appreciate it as a man. It’s cool because I looked up to him for a long time growing up and it’s crazy sometimes to think that’s my teammate now and a future Hall of Famer. He’s an icon.”

Despite all the questions regarding his size, Anderson keeps grinding, something he’s done his entire life.

“It’s a tough process. Everybody wants to be drafted,” he said reflecting on his path to the NFL. “When you come in, it feels like all the odds are against you and it feels like one mistake doesn’t account to ten other people’s mistakes and you just have to work that much harder. I always like to work hard, I never had a hand-out growing up. Things have always been tough for me so it wasn’t anything new to me. I just worked hard and took it day in and day out and it paid off.”

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Robby-Anderson-Is-Clearing-Every-Hurdle/3e6366db-8749-42dd-a948-987e6da77f9d

The New York Jets swapped one Jeremy for another on Tuesday, claiming wide receiver Jeremy Butler on waivers and releasing wide receiver Jeremy Ross.Butler had been released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers earlier in the week. The 6-foot-2 receiver didn't accumulate any stats with the Bucs, but he caught 31 passes for 363 yards last season with the Baltimore Ravens.

Why the swap ?

It means rookie Jalin Marshall is expected to return this week after missing two games with a torn labrum.Marshall returned punts and kickoffs in the first three games. When he went down, the Jets signed Ross to handle those roles. In two games, Ross had no punt returns (six fair catches) and two kickoff returns for a 26-yard average.

Marshall started making progess last week, as he was seen fielding punts in practice. Evidently, he's ready to come back.The Jets still have seven wide receivers on the roster, including the injured Eric Decker (shoulder), who may end up on injured reserve at some point.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63845/jets-cut-returner-jeremy-ross-signalling-jalin-marshalls-likely-return

Archived